Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'm probably wrong but I could've swore Scholes made 100+ passes in a single half in the early 2010s.
Thatd be near impossible. Xavi's record total in one game was in the ~170 passes range in a full game.

The 75 passes in one half for Thiago frankly sounds implausible.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Thatd be near impossible. Xavi's record total in one game was in the ~170 passes range in a full game.

The 75 passes in one half for Thiago frankly sounds implausible.
To be fair, when he came on, Spurs were already up 2-0 at HT and sat deep the whole of the 2nd, counting on Bale to be the lone threat up front. I think...

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Easy to say with hindsight. The thing is Barcelona can't wait. They're pushed to win everything in sight every year back then. Thiago was riddled with injuries in his final season with Barcelona (continued for quite awhile at Bayern even). Cesc was more established and wanted to stay, while Thiago camp pretty much pushed for the move IIRC after not guaranteed more gametime. This is unreasonable as even Xavi was slowing down, that's still one heck of challenge. Nothing to guarantee. Just conflict of interest, which didn't play out badly for all parties. They still won Treble after getting Rakitic. Barcelona transfer mismanagement later on is another story altogether
Rakitic didn't have anything to do with it. Thiago is born and bred in Barcelona system. It is not hindsight, every Barca fan didn't want him to go away that season. He obviously had talent to step in Xavi shoes to some extent (I say some extent as Xavi is synonymous with Barcelona style and one of the best midfielders ever). The fact they let him go for 20 million makes things worse.

All that said, Bayern were a bit frustrated until this season and all about him is a bit overblown at the moment (although I really rated him amongst best midfielders even then). Just look at this shit show

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thiago-alcântara-2016-17-performances.427167/page-7

Yagami

Good post resistant
@GhastlyHun & @B20

I just looked up that game on whoscored and surprise, surprise I was wrong! He made 148 passes but played the whole game! That was nearly 8 years ago to be fair to me... :nervous:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It’s so nice to watch someone different who is class join that midfield. What an enjoyable game today watching Thiago just run things so smoothly and showing such great attitude.

AshRK

Top signing. They didn't need bunch of signings but someone like Thiago to strengthen their already strong side.

ti vu

Rakitic didn't have anything to do with it. Thiago is born and bred in Barcelona system. It is not hindsight, every Barca fan didn't want him to go away that season. He obviously had talent to step in Xavi shoes to some extent (I say some extent as Xavi is synonymous with Barcelona style and one of the best midfielders ever). The fact they let him go for 20 million makes things worse.

All that said, Bayern were a bit frustrated until this season and all about him is a bit overblown at the moment (although I really rated him amongst best midfielders even then). Just look at this shit show

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/thiago-alcântara-2016-17-performances.427167/page-7
You missed the points.

Thiago camp made demand on gametime which Barcelona couldn't guarantee. Thiago camp then pushed for the move, rather Barcelona forced him out. Similar to Kroos and Bayern case. Thiago had 90 mil release clause that was lowered to however low Bayern paid. The reason was he didn't play enough (!!!). It confirmed Thiago injury issue and the conflict of interest with Barcelona, with Thiago actively wanted out. Barcelona couldn't do nothing since it's release clause triggered.

I didn't say Rakitic transfer was not direct transfer to replace Thiago. I meant Xavi still played plenty of games, and Rakitic didn't demand gametime , but played along with how the club see fit.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
You missed the points.

Thiago camp made demand on gametime which Barcelona couldn't guarantee. Thiago camp then pushed for the move, rather Barcelona forced him out. Similar to Kroos and Bayern case. Thiago had 90 mil release clause that was lowered to however low Bayern paid. The reason was he didn't play enough (!!!). It confirmed Thiago injury issue and the conflict of interest with Barcelona, with Thiago actively wanted out. Barcelona couldn't do nothing since it's release clause triggered.

I didn't say Rakitic transfer was not direct transfer to replace Thiago. I meant Xavi still played plenty of games, and Rakitic didn't demand gametime , but played along with how the club see fit.
I may be mistaken, but am fairly certain that he could play the amount of games in the end to not trigger 20 million clause. Remember, Barcelona won the league that year with 15 points ahead. And they clearly opted for keeping Fabregas imo.

I may be wrong though, @Infordin what are your thoughts?

ti vu

I may be mistaken, but am fairly certain that he could play the amount of games in the end to not trigger 20 million clause. Remember, Barcelona won the league that year with 15 points ahead. And they clearly opted for keeping Fabregas imo.

Pep was the head coach. They both ended up at Bayern in the same summer. It might have something to do with Pep making use of inside info re: Thiago wishes to leave, and the release clause detail.

Last edited:

TheRedHearted

It’s so nice to watch someone different who is class join that midfield. What an enjoyable game today watching Thiago just run things so smoothly and showing such great attitude.
There was one point where he received the ball under no pressure but still shifted his hips so quickly and passed the ball so effortlessly. And it's the exact opposite of what we do on our off days. take a touch, maguire slowly slinking his way with a couple of touches forward.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona

Yep, that’s what happened. Thiago needed to play a certain amount of minutes, if not then a very low release clause was triggered. At the end of the season he was only a few minutes short of what was needed, and Bayern ended up triggering his low release clause.

We won the league by 15 points and we still didn’t give him a chance.

Pure incompetence.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He gave away a penalty for a lazy bit of play, gave the ball away multiple times, kept things nice and simple though.
I'd say it's a fairly average start in what should have been a very easy half for him.

Borussin

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
He gave away a penalty for a lazy bit of play, gave the ball away multiple times, kept things nice and simple though.
I'd say it's a fairly average start in what should have been a very easy half for him.
fishing?

He made it look so simple, effortless basically. Forward passes finding their mark throughout. Not a surprise vs 10 for sure, but to say average in a game that ’should have been easy’ is a bit mad. Because it was easy for him.

Defensively not on point of course, but he has to learn their systems, it is different to Bayern, as is the position he will play, as it is not a double 6.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Top signing. They didn't need bunch of signings but someone like Thiago to strengthen their already strong side.
I mean they signed three players. Can't sit on the same team and expect to win. They won the league and then made signings to make them even stronger. Across the front 3 they have Mané, Salah, Firmino, Jota, Minamino, Shaqiri, Origi and youngsters Wilson and Brewster. Ox can also play there. They have 7 central midfielders for their 3 midfield positions. The most worrying thing for them is dealing with 2 CB injuries now as Lovren has left. Could be a possibility but could also be solved by moving Fabinho down. Basically I don't see a weakness in their squad. Trent might be their most important player now as he's the only one that doesn't have a player close in quality replacing him but who has at right back?

Tapori

I mean they signed three players. Can't sit on the same team and expect to win. They won the league and then made signings to make them even stronger. Across the front 3 they have Mané, Salah, Firmino, Jota, Minamino, Shaqiri, Origi and youngsters Wilson and Brewster. Ox can also play there. They have 7 central midfielders for their 3 midfield positions. The most worrying thing for them is dealing with 2 CB injuries now as Lovren has left. Could be a possibility but could also be solved by moving Fabinho down. Basically I don't see a weakness in their squad. Trent might be their most important player now as he's the only one that doesn't have a player close in quality replacing him but who has at right back?
CB is definitely a weakness. They need solid cover.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
CB is definitely a weakness. They need solid cover.
Don't think it is. Van Dijk has missed one game for Liverpool and that was a yellow card suspension in the CL 2 seasons ago. Worst case scenario both Matip and Gomez are injured and they play Fabinho. Still stronger than most if not all CB pairings in the league.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yep, that’s what happened. Thiago needed to play a certain amount of minutes, if not then a very low release clause was triggered. At the end of the season he was only a few minutes short of what was needed, and Bayern ended up triggering his low release clause.

We won the league by 15 points and we still didn’t give him a chance.

Pure incompetence.
Apart from this, Thiago can't wait for another few seasons until Xavi/Iniesta retired to become automatic starter for Barcelona. He was fed up playing backup role for Xavi and Iniesta, and adding to the fact Barca bought Fabregas which further limited his chances, he simply wanted out..

Last edited:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
He came into the league champions side and ran the show. Nice try but there is no silver lining about this for you and you know it.

Highfather_24

When you watch players like Thiago play, you get triggered when you watch the likes of McTominay on the ball, shitting themselves if there are opposition players near him.

I'm not comparing them. I'm just appalled at the quality of our players and their coaching, and their inability to fecking pass the ball when pressed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
When you watch players like Thiago play, you get triggered when you watch the likes of McTominay on the ball, shitting themselves if there are opposition players near him.

I'm not comparing them. I'm just appalled at the quality of our players and their coaching, and their inability to fecking pass the ball when pressed.
The same McTominay who had a 92.5% pass completion rate at the weekend?

Champ

He came into the league champions side and ran the show. Nice try but there is no silver lining about this for you and you know it.
He clearly didn't, unless playing 5 yard passes with Salah count as running the show?

Highfather_24

The same McTominay who had a 92.5% pass completion rate at the weekend?
Why take one game in isolation? Lets take the whole of last season. Last season he had 80.9 % pass accuracy and 0.6 key passes per match. So a midfielder who doesnt play risky passes, and yet loses the ball so much.

Our midfield shits itself whenever we are pressed. You dont need stats to know that.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
@GhastlyHun & @B20

I just looked up that game on whoscored and surprise, surprise I was wrong! He made 148 passes but played the whole game! That was nearly 8 years ago to be fair to me... :nervous:
Okay, so he nearly pulled off two halves like Thiago's one yesterday, that's not too shabby ^^

Champ

Why take one game in isolation? Lets take the whole of last season. Last season he had 80.9 % pass accuracy and 0.6 key passes per match. So a midfielder who doesnt play risky passes, and yet loses the ball so much.

Our midfield shits itself whenever we are pressed. You dont need stats to know that.
If you want to compare players, compare Thiago with Kimmich, especially this weekends performance, then you'll see why Munich won't miss Thiago.
Comparing McT to Thiago is strange considering they are inherently different players.

Highfather_24

If you want to compare players, compare Thiago with Kimmich, especially this weekends performance, then you'll see why Munich won't miss Thiago.
Comparing McT to Thiago is strange considering they are inherently different players.

Classical Mechanic

He was playing against 10 men who decided not to get smashed and let him have the ball for 45 minutes. It was like a training game after the second goal.

Pughnichi

20M!!!....are you kidding me. This is so frustrating. Takes Liverpool up a notch.

scholes esque with his ability to sit deep and absolutely dictate the game.

Surely we were in for him at the very least. Madness to think we weren’t.

20M!!!...are you kidding me

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I think this is the most likely thing to happen. If you want to get the best out of Thiago you have to play him as the pivot. They are missing a quality CB and have to shift a quality DM elsewhere. Doesn't get any more obvious, if you ask me.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Munich is one the the most beautiful cities I have ever been.

Liverpool, on the other hand, is so unappealing I'd never go there in the first place.
I laughed. You'll miss out on a lot of beautiful places in life with an attitude like that.

Bossing against 10 men and giving away a pen?
If you saw that game and didn't think that he looked great and basically pulled the strings the entire second half, than I don't know what to say. Easy situation to come into but his class was there for all to see for the entire 45min imo.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I laughed. You'll miss out on a lot of beautiful places in life with an attitude like that.

If you saw that game and didn't think that he looked great and basically pulled the strings the entire second half, than I don't know what to say. Easy situation to come into but his class was there for all to see for the entire 45min imo.
This isn't as impressive as it sounds. Chelsea had 10 men and were pinned back. Thiago was afforded space and time.

Again, he gave away a pen, that was his most memorable moment.

Rossa

I love the semantics of commentators. When he fouled Werner inside the box and thus gave away the penalty, he was unlucky. If Fred had done the exact same thing, he would have been clumsy.
Yesterday's game will tell us nothing as Chelsea were clueless after Christensen (rightfully) was sent off.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
This isn't as impressive as it sounds. Chelsea had 10 men and were pinned back. Thiago was afforded space and time.

Again, he gave away a pen, that was his most memorable moment.
And he was absolute class while doing it. That's just what I'm saying. There's no fawning over anything here, just stating facts. Yes he was put into a favorable position, but he still delivered.

Given how the first half went I think he'd have probably done the same against 11 men regardless, but that's just speculation on my part.

Highfather_24

Thiago has proved himself before against Chelsea with 11 men in a CL match, very recently.

The point is Thiago is a world class midfielder, who was available for a paltry price. His main attribute is his composure and ability to control games. Those exact same traits is MISSING from our midfield, and is one of our biggest drawbacks. Our midfield collapses, absolutely collapses, under the slightest amount of pressing.

Its either a coaching problem, or a quality problem. And players like Thiago, highlight that problem. Could have solved it as well, but here we are.

Anustart89

But did he only play the one half? I think that was the point of the statistic cited here, regardless of the number of passes in any half.
True. It was also the most amount of passes in a half made by a player called Thiago Alcantara playing for Liverpool while wearing number 6.