Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

Oranges038

I was just about to say that. I'm sure I've hit a few volleys like that in my time, left foot and right foot, but I don't even know how I would go about doing what Thiago just done.

Not that the Telles strike wasn't brilliant either. Got a wow out of me at the time.
Yeah, it's a good strike, but not anywhere near as good technique wise to Thiago's.

It's like the difference between these two volleys, Shearers is just on another level technically and much harder to execute to get the ball to move how it did after he hit it. He even went with the two handed celebration, so it must have been good.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Maybe not in the champions League but certainly in 11 a side and 7 a side. I have played football nearly every Saturday for 35 years and being small I have had to rely on skill and pace. Not that you will believe me. :wenger:
It’s completely implausible that you’re able to hit right and left foot volleys like Telles but have no grasp of the concept of hitting a ball with backspin. Something doesn’t add up.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Reckon it's harder to hit the volley Telles did and not mishit, balloon it, or even getting an airshot.

That said, the spin and pace on Thiago's shot from a nothing bouncing ball (wouldn't even call it a volley) is fantastic. I wouldn't get it right once in a month of Sundays, while I could fluke the Telles belter.

Cracking goals.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, it's a good strike, but not anywhere near as good technique wise to Thiago's.

It's like the difference between these two volleys, Shearers is just on another level technically and much harder to execute to get the ball to move how it did after he hit it. He even went with the two handed celebration, so it must have been good.

What? Shearer had a better cross to him in way more space. Ronaldo was on the stretch and had to react late as it just came over the defenders head.

You're massively conflating aesthetics for technique.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It’s completely implausible that you’re able to hit right and left foot volleys like Telles but have no grasp of the concept of hitting a ball with backspin. Something doesn’t add up.
Reckon it's harder to hit the volley Telles did and not mishit, balloon it, or even getting an airshot.

That said, the spin and pace on Thiago's shot from a nothing bouncing ball (wouldn't even call it a volley) is fantastic. I wouldn't get it right once in a month of Sundays, while I could fluke the Telles belter.

Cracking goals.

Oranges038

What? Shearer had a better cross to him in way more space. Ronaldo was on the stretch and had to react late as it just came over the defenders head.

You're massively conflating aesthetics for technique.
That doesn't even making any sense. I am almost certain that you are using that word in the wrong context.

The more difficult technique results in a more aesthetically pleasing goal when it comes off.

Both start their run on the edge of the box and finish from a similar angle. Shearer hits a side foot volley and gets the ball to bend back in towards the far top corner. That is a much harder technique to execute at that height and angle, than Ronaldo lashing one back across the goal on his laces.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
That doesn't even making any sense. I am almost certain that you are using that word in the wrong context.

The more difficult technique results in a more aesthetically pleasing goal when it comes off.

Both start their run on the edge of the box and finish from a similar angle. Shearer hits a side foot volley and gets the ball to bend back in towards the far top corner. That is a much harder technique to execute at that height and angle, than Ronaldo lashing one back across the goal on his laces.
Just going to ignore the position of defender then in both goals. Which would clearly have an impact on the technique needed to pull it off.

I'm not arguing either is better than the other, you're just saying it looked better. They both require an incredible amount of technique. Do you have some sort of technique rating for either goal or it just being randomly decided by personal opinion?

Last edited:

Oranges038

Just going to ignore the position of defender then in both goals. Which would clearly have an impact on the technique needed to pull it off.

I'm not arguing either is better than the other, you're just saying it looked better. They both require an incredible amount of technique. Do you have some sort of technique rating for either goal or it just being randomly decided by personal opinion?
They do, I am merely pointing out that the technique Shearer used is a lot more difficult to execute, we've seen loads of goals like Ronaldo's one. How many have you seen finished off the way Shearer did?.

Hitting a side footed volley and getting the ball to bend back the opposite direction expected is a hell of a lot more difficult than hitting one back across the goal on your laces.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Great goal,

But Thiago is still at detriment to the way Liverpool play, long may he continue to play.
Far from it. our best midfield performances this year have come from Thiago and Fabinho playing together. If we can get those two on the pitch regularly our title challenge is looking good.

gajender

Far from it. our best midfield performances this year have come from Thiago and Fabinho playing together. If we can get those two on the pitch regularly our title challenge is looking good.
I believe Fabinho plays such a instrumental role for you guys in the midfield as long as he is present almost all the combinations function at decent level. Such a brilliant player .

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Fabinho yes, Thiago no. I'd love for Klopp to play Thiago a lot more, any pace from the opposition and he's bypassed.

FriedClams

I would put this goal up there with one of the most pleasing on the eye I have seen. To my knowledge, it’s a completely unique goal and there hasn’t been another one bounce up off the grass like that, which comes purely from the technique Thiago used. I remember watching him warm up for a game I went to see at Bayern’s stadium and he was playing half volley passes like that on a wet surface, so he definitely meant what he did.

I still think Bales volley for Spurs from the Aaron Lennon cross is the most satisfying goal I have ever seen from an aesthetics perspective, closely followed by Samuel Umtiti for Lyon v Spurs.

Irrational.

Meh. Seen better from a defender:

It was a decent goal but nothing special. I guess having an exotic name and playing for the Scouse automatically would make it the best volley of all time in their eyes.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Been great this season. Proper player.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He was always too good to flop. Just needed to adjust to the league.

AFC NimbleThumb

It's just the mickey mouse cup you wimp.
Considering how footballers are often slated for not caring it’s good to see it means something to some.

Mickey Mouse comment if anything, the European champions are playing a pretty strong 11.

Sylar

A trophy is a trophy, some fans are too snobby
Would have wanted United in this and wanted us to win

AFC NimbleThumb

A trophy is a trophy, some fans are too snobby
Would have wanted United in this and wanted us to win
Say it louder. We played a rather strong side & lost to West Ham. How people keep belittling trophies we can’t win then suddenly expect league titles is beyond me.

This isn’t the 90s, our rivals are trying to win everything, it’s a moronic mentality to keep on with.

Sylar

Say it louder. We played a rather strong side & lost to West Ham. How people keep belittling trophies we can’t win then suddenly expect league titles is beyond me.

This isn’t the 90s, our rivals are trying to win everything, it’s a moronic mentality to keep on with.
It was also a good starting point for a lot of our players from 2006 onwards. Good catalyst to get you into a winning mentality. It's why us losing to boro pissed me off too. And the Europa final too.

Anyway digressing from thiago ha...

Judas

Open to offers
Wish we had the opportunity to have some of our players crying in the warmup for a cup. Can't believe you still have people calling the league cup a micky mouse tournament when we're so crap at winning things.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Wish we had the opportunity to have some of our players crying in the warmup for a cup. Can't believe you still have people calling the league cup a micky mouse tournament when we're so crap at winning things.
feck that, I'd lose all respect for Ronaldo was crying before a match. I want to see players furious they aren't playing, kick the ball boys, smash up the stadium, don't fecking cry unless it's the champions league final or the world cup final

Judas

Open to offers
feck that, I'd lose all respect for Ronaldo was crying before a match. I want to see players furious they aren't playing, kick the ball boys, smash up the stadium, don't fecking cry unless it's the champions league final or the world cup final
I'd respect them more if they all cried together in unity. United in tears. Tears FC.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Why does United’s ability to win things have anything to do with the status of the Carabao cup?
Because if you are hungry, you shouldn’t be turning your nose up at a hamburger, just because you used to eat file mignon.

I would love to be in a league cup final today.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The only people who should be crying about this are the Chelsea fans.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Because I could begin to understand people laughing at it when we were successful, but not now. I've always loved the league cup though, so maybe I am just a weirdo.
It is a mickey mouse cup though. And has been for absolutely ages. I’m old enough to remember when every club would play their strongest possible team in every domestic cup but that was a very long time ago. Nowadays it’s a competition most big clubs use to give kids and reserves some game time.

I would of course prefer United to be in the final than not. And if they were in the final I would definitely want them to win. But it’s obviously a second rate competition. The buzz from winning it wouldn’t come anywhere near winning the PL or CL. Nor do the bragging rights that come from winning it. Could you even name the team with the most league cup trophies? I couldn’t.

SB16

Imagine making a big deal out of this when the team we support is replete with underachievers who often don't look like they could bother being on the pitch.

Mickey Mouse Cup it is, but I'd rather we had the chance to be there now than our made up version of Disneyland.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Again, United’s recent trophy haul has precisely zero relevance to the status of the competition.
I don’t see it like that at all. The desire to win things should mean that it is more attractive.

City won’t care that much about missing out this year because they always win it and their focus is on the league and the CL.

Where United are right now, it’s a much more attractive and realistic aim for a trophy. It’s value is, at least, partly built by a team’s status.

For City, it’s a token. For Norwich, it’s the biggest prize in their modern history. Of course it matters.