g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Him and the rest of that Bayern team bar Lewandowski are the most overrated bunch in history. That CL* title has really skewed peoples view.

youngrell

Him on for Busquets killed any hope Spain had of winning in ET. The difference in their performance was stark.

Eddy_JukeZ

Him and the rest of that Bayern team bar Lewandowski are the most overrated bunch in history. That CL* title has really skewed peoples view.
Let's not rewrite history

Once Flick took over, they were absolutely dominant

Thiago was excellent for their CL run-in

He hasn't been good since then

Powerhouser

Supports
Bayern Munich
We also had like 7 or 8 World Cup winners in our squad, overrated :lol:

kidbob

To be fair Busquets may just be the best DM of all time. However yes Thiago is extremely overrated and I hope he continues his shit form for the rest of his Liverpool career.

GlasgowCeltic

Everytime he's come on I've understood and agreed with the logic behind it, then he just disappears

spiriticon

Everytime he's come on I've understood and agreed with the logic behind it, then he just disappears
I feel like he is similar to Pogba in the sense that everyone always expects more for his talent, but you get what you get, depending on his mood.

Pep's Suit

He looks absolutely finished and just never fulfiled what most people were expecting. Should move to a slower, less competitive league.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I don't agree with the "overrated" comment, I think that Bayern team was excellent, but I don't quite get this logic. There's a few WC winners I could name throughout the years that aren't necessarily amazing, and I don't think it's really the best indication of the quality of a player. Pogba is a WC winner and played an important role in France's role, but a lot of people would say he's overrated. What I mean is that while obviously playing for a team that wins the WC requires quality, it's also a microcosm of 7 games and not necessarily the best reflection of a player's quality - this is best shown over the course of a season or several seasons I think. But anyway, just a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Smacky The Frog

Thoroughly enjoyed his cameo. Good comic relief in a tense situation. He actively hurt his team with overambitious defense splitting passes that either went straight out of play or straight to the opposition, but he did it with the style and gravitas of a Midfield Maestro at the top of his game, pulling strings us mere mortals (and his teammates) could not see.

Have to admire his confidence to then take that pen and make it.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He was glorious against us. We couldn't lay a glove on him. He was Bayern's best player in both legs. He's got absolutely nowhere near that level since he moved to Liverpool though.

Infra-red

Liverpool's midfield is a peculiar place. I don't think any sane person would try to argue that Milner, Wijnaldum or Henderson are better/more talented individuals than Keita or Thiago, but the latter two have really struggled to get close to the form/consistency of the former three.

Thiago in particular, has been awful - Liverpool have failed to win 12 of the 20 games he's started (4 draws and 8 defeats). Looks like he's carried that form into the Spain team as well - dreadful cameo last night.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He was glorious against us. We couldn't lay a glove on him. He was Bayern's best player in both legs. He's got absolutely nowhere near that level since he moved to Liverpool though.
He came to a fast league with his older legs and needed to acclimatise. But some cnut called Richarlison took him out for months. When he returned Fabinho and Hendo were no longer next to him and he became the focal point for the midfield, still unacclimatised.

Once Fabinho finally made his way back next to him, Thiago actually started looking good. Not great but very good. It's no surprise we finished a strong third with him and Fab. Got high hopes for a Fab, Hendo, Thiago midfield next season with VvD and Konate behind.

Saying that, he was hilariously and gloriously shit yesterday though. :lol:

romufc

Having world cup winners in squad is not that important, Spurs and Arsenal have had world cup winners in their squad, doesn't mean they are good.

The Bayern team had some of the best players in certain positions.

Neuer - still a top keeper
CB - Poor CB's
LB - Alphonsho is one of the best upcoming LB's
CDM - Kimmich is one of the best footballers in the world, let alone a DM, his footballing brain means he can play any position at a high level
Lewandowski was on absolute smoke
Wingers did a job - even though they are not the world class level they all worked well in their team
Muller - I mean I don't know how he does it but he seems to just score important goals.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Why has it become so important for Man United fans that he fails/plays badly?

It's odd.
Its not THAT important.

However speak to a Liverpool fan and they genuinely would have you believe in the alternate History that they genuinely beat us to his free signature. We offered a kings ransom all tax free, a stately Cheshire mansion with his own butler. However he went to Liverpool for the love of the 'project' and for a quarter of what we offered and a bag of Harribo's as a scoring bonus.

Added to this, the utter cringe of the quite outrageous crap they come out with is quite frankly mind boggling. He's a generational talent, his genius is only trumped by his own no look passes and deft touches. He hasn't played that bad, he needs time to settle, he needs Big Virg back so Gini can be free'd up and Bobby can push on to create the space for this world class player and other such vomit inducing cliches.

The reality is, he has been an utter car crash of a signing, even on a free. For a high tempo, high press game like Klopp's he was a strange signing albeit Liverpool did need to add some art to their overly industrious midfield. Give him the benefit of the doubt of first season settling in. A player like him would be more relaxed playing in Europe? He was an utter cart horse in that as well. His 'no look' genius passes into space are now being found out. More often than not it's a misplaced pass than sublime vision that did not come off.

Let's be fair about it, it's the same as we were about Bastian Schweinsteiger. Both players after leaving Bayern did and are failing to live upto their lofty high standards.

Oranges038

As much as I generally dislike Liverpool and Liverpool players etc. His goal last night was something else. Literally a once in a lifetime strike. The movement on the ball is just awesome.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Am I missing something?
It was a nice goal, but you see decent strikes like this every month or so. I wouldn't say it was that special. Very good goal, but won't get goal of the year thats for sure

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Am I missing something?
It was a nice goal, but you see decent strikes like this every month or so. I wouldn't say it was that special. Very good goal, but won't get goal of the year thats for sure
I think we'll leave it as 'you're missing something'. :)

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Must be, and to be fair, clicking here was the first I heard about it, so I think a lot will be missing the same thing.

My boss, a massive Liverpool fan, and a mate, who came round for a takeaway tonight both never mentioned it either

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Did that ball bounce up of the ground or is it a spin that takes it back up before it touches? Great strike.

We've got a good record with Thiago & Fabinho starting together in midfield. Something like 12 wins and 1 draw in their 13 starts together I think. Not a huge sample but Thiago benefits from playing with Fabinho. He's not suited to playing as a number 6 himself.

I still have him down as a bit of a flop currently. 10 good games at the back end of last season but some long term injuries (not his fault) and an indifferent start in January last year means that he hasn't quite worked out yet.

Oranges038

I think we'll leave it as 'you're missing something'. :)
Definitely missing somehting.

It's such a sweet strike. For me, it's the technique and the flight of the ball, the way it dips down first and then back up but never goes more than a foot off the ground.

It's a really hard to strike the ball to get it to do that. Normally a ball flight you might see on a golf drive. I don't think I've ever seen a goal where the ball moved like that, if it happened on a computer game you'd think it messed up the ball physics.

Davie Moyes

Not as impressive as it was made out to be honest. Great, clean strike but I was expecting better given the hype I'd read.

Given his technique and the way he can pass and ping the ball I would expect him to score more like this but he does not score enough.