Thiago Alc*ntara | Still exists

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
:D

Actually, he was rubbish. 0 goals and 0 assists, and in our modern parlance, that means he did nothing, ghosted, flopped, vanished etc. That's how we judge performances nowadays, right? :D
Attackers are measured with goals and assists
Thiago is a midfielder whose job is to win possession, retain possession which he did perfectly.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
:D

Actually, he was rubbish. 0 goals and 0 assists, and in our modern parlance, that means he did nothing, ghosted, flopped, vanished etc. That's how we judge performances nowadays, right? :D
Liverpool fan?

Deery

Dreary
He had all the space in the world in a midfield 3, against a 2 which was Matic and Bruno. Seriously the fanfare about this guy is nauseating and the commentators weren’t any better.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Attackers are measured with goals and assists
Thiago is a midfielder whose job is to win possession, retain possession which he did perfectly.
Did a little research into the Maradona v Platini in Serie A comparison that was previously discussed in another thread (where someone reported clearly incorrect Transfermarkt numbers for MP's assists).

I don't know how they got these figures (and forgive me for linking something from the Sun) but Platini apparently had more goal contributions than Maradona in Italy and played there for 2 less seasons.

Now everyone and their wife knows that Maradona was a better player than Platini. But adding up goals and assists wouldn't tell you that. You could only tell that by actually watching them play. Which means your 'G+A over all for attackers' metric is flawed, with all due respect.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...ristiano-ronaldo-napoli-juventus-serie-a/amp/

cafecillos

I would look world class playing for this Liverpool side and against this United side.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Sure? You sure seemed happy in that post?
Erm, yes I'm sure. My post had little to do with him really, it was more an ironic take on how we judge performances in the modern era. And when you're being satirical, I've found that you have to overload on the emojis otherwise there will always be someone who thinks you're being serious, no matter how ridiculous the words are. Sarcasm doesn't translate very well in print it seems.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He was rubbish last season but he's been exceptional this one. Fair is fair.

Harry Freak

He had all the space in the world in a midfield 3, against a 2 which was Matic and Bruno. Seriously the fanfare about this guy is nauseating and the commentators weren’t any better.
Exactly. It’s like a chessboard. One extra player moved to back line (jones) means free space somewhere for another. (Alcantara)

Sylar

Can see why moyes didn't want him almost ten years ago...

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Quality player, but no player should be judged on how they play against United. We are probably the easiest team to play against in the league right now.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
His English is exceptional. Biggest takeaway from today.
Right? First time I'd heard him speak yesterday. I don't know why I was so surprised but I expected him to sound like other Spanish players who first come to the league.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Right? First time I'd heard him speak yesterday. I don't know why I was so surprised but I expected him to sound like other Spanish players who first come to the league.
He had quite a mixed background, born in Italy, Brazilian parents, raised in Spain.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He had quite a mixed background, born in Italy, Brazilian parents, raised in Spain.
That's true, and I suppose living in Germany for a period forces one to rely on English on a daily basis. Maybe I was hearing things, but I thought I caught a hint of a British accent in there too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it was ridiculous. A central midfielder couldn’t ask for an easier day out.

“Well done Michael, he’s 12 years old”
Well he still looked magnificent and by far the best player on the field. Not for the first time this season, either. So not really surprising he's getting plaudits.

Pretty sure Ronaldo was praised on here after he scored a hattrick against... Norwich.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Well he still looked magnificent and by far the best player on the field. Not for the first time this season, either. So not really surprising he's getting plaudits.

Pretty sure Ronaldo was praised on here after he scored a hattrick against... Norwich.
Exactly, if it was so easy why did he look leagues ahead compared to the other Liverpool midfielders?

They also had the space etc

He's a world class midfielder and he was the best footballer on the pitch yesterday.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

He was poor in your last proper tough match- vs City in the league.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He sounds like he’s been speaking the language for a long time, perhaps in his personal life (friends, maybe some family). No ummmsss ahhhs or broken sentences and a natural flow state where he’s not having to paw for words from an almost bereft selection.
Threw me because I’ve not heard him speak English before.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He was poor in your last proper tough match- vs City in the league.
I thought he was the only midfielder who didn't look poor.

You left out that he ran the show against city a few days later at wembley too.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I thought he was the only midfielder who didn't look poor.

You left out that he ran the show against city a few days later at wembley too.
Doesn't count apparently because City had some injuries and played their back-up GK.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I guess it's tough to be good when it never counts against anyone except a full strength city side away from home.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He sounds like he’s been speaking the language for a long time, perhaps in his personal life (friends, maybe some family). No ummmsss ahhhs or broken sentences and a natural flow state where he’s not having to paw for words from an almost bereft selection.
Threw me because I’ve not heard him speak English before.
When he just broke through at Barca I watched an interview of his and it was fluent English then aswell.

Relevant

Thiago was injured early on last season in the same game that Van Dyck got done by Pickford last season.

Thiago was out for a good while after that.....and interestingly he's only started 14 games for Liverpool this season, so is definitely injury prone which will have affected his impact.

There's lots been said - mostly rubbish unsurprisingly - about Pool falling apart last season following the one injury to Van Dyck, but Thiago's potential influence was also greatly missed.

And to think we could have had him ourselves a few years back.

Mind you, the scousers apparently could have signed Ronaldo before he blew up into greatness so I'm guessing we'll take that exchange gladly.

Reactions: Cheimoon

RVN1991

Was so excited when it looked like he was going to be our first proper world class midfielder since Scholesy, shame he never signed for us.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He was rubbish last season but he's been exceptional this one. Fair is fair.
He had a really good finish to last season to be fair. When he was able to play in a midfield with Fabinho he was excellent in our final 10 games. This season he's excelled when fit. He really exposes how limited Henderson's ability on the ball is. We've moved on from just having an energetic and functional midfield.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Was so excited when it looked like he was going to be our first proper world class midfielder since Scholesy, shame he never signed for us.
That was 9 years ago mate. At least since then you've signed...

Oh, nevermind.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Could become only the second player to win the treble with 2 different clubs, I'm counting on it not happening.