Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get young talent

[QUOTE="RooneyLegend, post: 26003323, member: 768]
If a 29 year old Paul Scholes was available on the market, in this market for 30 million quid would you think about it?
[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

It's a no brainer

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What's there to assess? The man hasn't had a single bad word said about him during his career and really wants to play in the prem. We also don't have a philosopher or a glorified bus driver in charge. He'd also come on the cheap. We also struggle when being pressed and he's one of the very best midfielders in the world in those situations. It makes too much sense not to try.

If a 29 year old Paul Scholes was available on the market, in this market for 30 million quid would you think about it?
Our defense struggles with the press, our midfield is just fine.
£30m isn't cheap, especially when his wages would cost a fair bit.
Also he would go against our ethos which is to buy young hungry players.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Not so sure about Matic - Pogba handling press fine. We sometimes can't grab hold on the game and play in patches because of it. Thiago would do wonders in that sense.

Am on the same pages regarding wages though. If he wants something insane we should pass no matter how great he is.

Redfrog

[QUOTE="RooneyLegend, post: 26003323, member: 768]
Exactly.

It's a no brainer
[/QUOTE]
Don't ever compare this guy to the legendary Paul fecking Scholes mate. That is an insult to the ginger genius.

By the way does this guy take a yellow for every tacle he made ? That is why I thought...

RooneyLegend

£30m isn't cheap, especially when his wages would cost a fair bit.
Also he would go against our ethos which is to buy young hungry players.
Not it's not. We've seen our midfielders give the ball away plenty of times under pressure. We've tried all of them in that base of midfield position when being pressed and they've all failed miserably including Pogba.

These ethos' are going to take ius nowhere. We won our last title thanks largely to the transfer of an expierenced world class player of the same age. It's about us getting what we need to make our side work not some strange ethos.

That price is chump change these days. We've just bought a far from impressive player from Ajax for alot more than that.

I fail to see how anyone could watch Thiago play and have anything negative to say about this transfer. It boggles the mind.

Champ

Not so sure about Matic - Pogba handling press fine. We sometimes can't grab hold on the game and play in patches because of it. Thiago would do wonders in that sense.

Am on the same pages regarding wages though. If he wants something insane we should pass no matter how great he is.
Yeah, agree with Matic, Pogba does sometimes hold the ball too long, but I expect that to change with more fluidity in the team now.

Champ

Not it's not. We've seen our midfielders give the ball away plenty of times under pressure. We've tried all of them in that base of midfield position when being pressed and they've all failed miserably including Pogba.

These ethos' are going to take ius nowhere. We won our last title thanks largely to the transfer of an expierenced world class player of the same age. It's about us getting what we need to make our side work not some strange ethos.

That price is chump change these days. We've just bought a far from impressive player from Ajax for alot more than that.

I fail to see how anyone could watch Thiago play and have anything negative to say about this transfer. It boggles the mind.
We just brought a player for around £5m more on less wages whose what, 6 years younger? And who was on the shortlist for balon dor last year, (Thiago wasn't).
The price isn't small change for a 29 year old, who would incur huge wages, we've been there before, remember?
Thiago is hugely over rated by many on this forum, whilst undoubtedly a good player, he's not the game changer some believe him to be.

Stretender

I get the Thiago fan boys. They still have a dream of Thiago playing for us from 6 years ago. It's like those Ronaldo fan boys . Let's be realistic here. Them 2 ships sailed years ago. Pogba, Van Beek, Bruno. That is enough. Let's look at centre back, left back ,right winger and a striker now. Midfield is sorted . Thiago is a Liverpool player. Move on!

manuchamp88

I get the Thiago fan boys. They still have a dream of Thiago playing for us from 6 years ago. It's like those Ronaldo fan boys . Let's be realistic here. Them 2 ships sailed years ago. Pogba, Van Beek, Bruno. That is enough. Let's look at centre back, left back ,right winger and a striker now. Midfield is sorted . Thiago is a Liverpool player. Move on!
You can't expect them to play all the time. We need strength in depth.

Pav1878

This.
I can't see how anyone could NOT want Thiago at the club. He's definitely not being overrated. The guy is better than all our midfielders. So how is he not a good addition?

manuchamp88

The depth comes from Matic, McT and Fred. In terms of numbers we don’t need him. He’s clearly a very good player, but he’s injury prone and we have other priorities.
You seriously think that's good enough especially when a quality player like Thiago is available? Like I said, it's not just about numbers. We need quality options and Thiago would provide that. By the way, generally speaking his injuries have been fairly minor and haven't kept him out too long.

You seriously think that's good enough especially when a quality player like Thiago is available? Like I said, it's not just about numbers. We need quality options and Thiago would provide that. By the way, generally speaking his injuries have been fairly minor and haven't kept him out too long.
We have a very good midfield. Whilst Thiago would improve it, we can make far bigger improvements to the team if we buy a quality CB and/ RW. The priority is elsewhere.

arthurka

If he signs for Liverpool their whole wage structure goes to shit. But a player like him for 30m come on.

manuchamp88

We have a very good midfield. Whilst Thiago would improve it, we can make far bigger improvements to the team if we buy a quality CB and/ RW. The priority is elsewhere.
The last part of the season showed that beyond the starting midfield, we are found lacking. Yes, we need other positions but who really knows what the budget is?

roseguy64

Giving Matic a 3 year contract still does my head in. Should have let him go this offseason and signed Thiago for 3 years instead.
Yes. We should have been psychic and predicted that Thiago would be available in the summer.

RooneyLegend

We just brought a player for around £5m more on less wages whose what, 6 years younger? And who was on the shortlist for balon dor last year, (Thiago wasn't).
The price isn't small change for a 29 year old, who would incur huge wages, we've been there before, remember?
Thiago is hugely over rated by many on this forum, whilst undoubtedly a good player, he's not the game changer some believe him to be.
He's not fit to lace Thiago's boots no matter how you phrase it. If there was a ballon d'or this year he wouldn't make an appearance (barely made it last season) and Thiago would.

Yeah we have, Teddy Sheringham, Van Persie and who could forget Van der Sar.

Won't even bother with your last statement.

Let me put it like this. Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes all had huge success post the age Thiago is at. All similar players to him. You can't compare him to the transfer of players who rely on explosiveness like Sanchez.

Stretender

He's not fit to lace Thiago's boots no matter how you phrase it. If there was a ballon d'or this year he wouldn't make an appearance (barely made it last season) and Thiago would.

Yeah we have, Teddy Sheringham, Van Persie and who could forget Van der Sar.

Won't even bother with your last statement.

Let me put it like this. Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes all had huge success post the age Thiago is at. All similar players to him. You can't compare him to the transfer of players who rely on explosiveness like Sanchez.
Thiago is not better than what we have. That includes Pogba, VDB and Bruno. If you want to know why ask Bayern why they don't want him and also ask Klopp why he doesn't want to spend 30 million on him. I can also tell you now, he is not better than Kevin De Bruyne. Iam glad Ole is our manager because if it was for has been Jose, who wanted to pay 50 million for Perisic , he would have paid 50 million for Thiago. We don't need him. We have Mctominay .

Revan

Assumptionman
Exactly.

It's a no brainer
Don't ever compare this guy to the legendary Paul fecking Scholes mate. That is an insult to the ginger genius.

By the way does this guy take a yellow for every tacle he made ? That is why I thought...
[/QUOTE]
Thiago is great. Dunno if he is as good as Scholes has been, but he is a fantastic player. And his trophy haul is already comparable to that of Scholes.

ArjenIsM3

Thiago is not better than what we have. That includes Pogba, VDB and Bruno. If you want to know why ask Bayern why they don't want him and also ask Klopp why he doesn't want to spend 30 million on him. I can also tell you now, he is not better than Kevin De Bruyne. Iam glad Ole is our manager because if it was for has been Jose, who wanted to pay 50 million for Perisic , he would have paid 50 million for Thiago. We don't need him. We have Mctominay .
No white text?

SinNombre

Scholes had a superior peak as a central midfielder but Thiago has had the better career as a central midfielder.

We wasted a lot of Scholes' prime years playing him as an attacking mid / 10.

Scholes still had the better career though if Thiago goes to Pool, and they repeat their past 2 years for another 3, then who knows.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Yes. We should have been psychic and predicted that Thiago would be available in the summer.
Well duh. Thiago was an option. Partey is available. Soumare is available. All of those would have been better long term options than giving a 32 year old a 3 year contract worth six figures a week.

Quinzaine

The depth comes from Matic, McT and Fred. In terms of numbers we don’t need him. He’s clearly a very good player, but he’s injury prone and we have other priorities.
I hope you're aware that VDB, Pogba, Bruno will almost never start in a midfield 3 together? Right now our starting midfield is the same as it was last season but with VDB as our first option off the bench/rotation to cover Pogba and Bruno's positions. We desperately need a Matic upgrade/long-term replacement/rotation option because when he's fatigued he's very poor and it costs us. We also have no adequate replacements for him in our squad. Thiago would allow us the option of playing him as the 6 with Bruno and Pogba ahead of him in games where we're expected to dominate whilst also having the capabilities of playing in the positions further forward of the 6 when Matic needs to come in and tighten things up in certain games.

The reality is Thiago is a midfielder of a special profile, one which we don't have in our squad. He's akin to Pogba in the sense that he's got a very unique skillset which when utilized correctly essentially wins you trophies. Players like him that can dictate the tempo of a game and resist the press under almost any circumstance are rare in the game. Verratti and Kroos are probably the only other top class players of that nature. If he's attainable - we must get him. Would I go all out for him at the expense of Sancho? No. But I'd go all out for him at the expense of any of our other potential signings, that's how good I think he is.

pixel

Scholes had a superior peak as a central midfielder but Thiago has had the better career as a central midfielder.

We wasted a lot of Scholes' prime years playing him as an attacking mid / 10.

Scholes still had the better career though if Thiago goes to Pool, and they repeat their past 2 years for another 3, then who knows.
:houllier:

Halftrack

You remember that problem we had this season? The one where we had no competent backup for Pogba or Bruno? A midfield trio of VDB, Pogba and Bruno means that problem still exists.

fergies coat

This is like saying we don't need Paul Scholes. We've got Tom Cleverley.

hobbers

Signing him makes perfect sense if Fred and Pereira were to leave.

croadyman

Hard to know if saga just means Wijnaldum to Barca will see Thiago finally join Liverpool. Obviously I am hoping it involves us as well but not getting invested again.

Spain play on Sunday so would think after that we will get some movement,interesting that Romano says we still haven't been in touch with Bayern. This suggests to me that we have only spoken to his reps because still trying to gauge whether he is even open to the Utd move at all.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Hard to know if saga just means Wijnaldum to Barca will see Thiago finally join Liverpool. Obviously I am hoping it involves us as well but not getting invested again.

Spain play on Sunday so would think after that we will get some movement,interesting that Romano says we still haven't been in touch with Bayern. This suggests to me that we have only spoken to his reps because still trying to gauge whether he is even open to the Utd move at all.
Was fun to get sucked in for a few days, but this so isn’t going to happen. He has eyes solely for Liverpool and they will also wait it out to drive the price down.

at the very lowest of probability is somehow Liverpool really can’t afford it, we still have funds after Sancho and it happens to us in final days of window.

Pav1878

Surely this is a wind up

Status
Not open for further replies.