Thiago Alcantara | Pool bound

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDFC Manager

it was Giggs
Giggs wasn't the manager though, it was fecking Moyesy. He should have done his own analysis (as if any was needed to sign Thiago) and signed the fecker, not gone around asking for opinions and second takes.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Easy blaming Giggs. Did Moyes also ask Giggs for advice before signing Fellaini?
He brought his own Everton staff with him and he and them are to blame for the decisions they took. But Moyes never took responsibility at United for anything anyway.

manutddjw

I don’t know about Giggs being the culprit. If we could’ve had Thiago, Moyes would’ve mentioned him as one of his signings along with Kroos and how he was promised Ronaldo, Bale and Fabregas which he repeats every year.

I’m pretty sure Thiago just turned us down to reunite with Pep, but we always have to save face so we “cool our interest“ or some other story.

MDFC Manager

Easy blaming Giggs. Did Moyes also ask Giggs for advice before signing Fellaini?
He brought his own Everton staff with him and he and them are to blame for the decisions they took. But Moyes never took responsibility at United for anything anyway.
Exactly. Just goes to show what a fecking spineless coward Moyesy was.

Davie Moyes

I'm not sure I totally believe the Giggsy opinion either. What would he mean by saying he's not a 'Utd player' - surely he would have been asked to elaborate? Either way the buck ends with Moyes to make the final decision and he dithered as usual.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

it was Giggs
I've always found this a tad hard to believe. What is a 'United player' compared to a Bayern/Barca/Madrid player? One wonders where Thiago fell short in this ''United player'' criteria.

The bloke was good enough to play for Bayern for a long time, would have been Xavi's heir apparent at Barcelona, yet he's not a ''United player''.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah I guess so, whats the view on him leaving though? New challenge?
Yes, it's sad to see him go, and we'll have to see how strongly his absence will be felt in the upcoming season.
Yeah he wants a new challenge, a final big chapter in his career. Of course this season was the perfect closure of his time with Bayern, leaving on the highest of notes.

Siorac

:lol: You can't make up stuff like. Epic incompetence from both Giggs and Moyes. Giggs for deciding he "wasn't a United player" and Moyes for actually listening to him. I don't care that much given we now have Pogba and Bruno and Thiago is 29 years old, but that's some a high level of idiocity right there.
Maybe Giggs meant it literally: "boss, he's not a United player. You actually have to sign the deal with Bayern before deadline day, don't forget that!"

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Giggs then recommend us James. Let that sink in.
I just wished we didn't get emotional and allowed Sir Alex to choose his successor. Choosing Moyes was disastrous

Bwuk

Wonder where he'll play for them as it won't be as the 6. Fabinho, Henderson & Thiago?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Yes, it's sad to see him go, and we'll have to see how strongly his absence will be felt in the upcoming season.
Yeah he wants a new challenge, a final big chapter in his career. Of course this season was the perfect closure of his time with Bayern, leaving on the highest of notes.
Yeah he always came across as a top professional and a really nice guy too, his stats last year were insane and his CL final performance was immense.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah he always came across as a top professional and a really nice guy too, his stats last year were insane and his CL final performance was immense.
Let's hope he emulates another nice guy Torres in being a complete disappointment.

Machine Elements

Thiago is not a “United player” but Daniel feckin James is according to Ryan Giggs. I hope we don’t make another stupid sentimental decision by hiring him after Ole.

flappyjay

it was Giggs
It still falls on Moyes. How does Giggs who had never done any coaching have that mjch sway. If the idiot Moyes hadn't gotten rid of Fergies entire backroom staff he would have gotten proper insight.

tomaldinho1

There are lots of managerial decisions in football that look stupid with hindsight but at the time made at least some sense (United hiring Mou, Bayern hiring Ancelotti, Barca hiring Valverde) but United hiring Moyes stands alone in my mind for incompetence because he was given absolute free reign to dismantle a title winning team. That would be fine if he was coming in from a top club and had won trophies because you give more flexibility to managers with the right track records but what's staggering is he came in and essentially thought the best thing to do would be just recreate his Everton setup on a larger scale...

Statue of Limitations

I think most of us had already made peace with this so it doesn't hurt as much.

We have done good business so far ourselves and I doubt we are finished.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
So what is the actual fee here? Seen about seven different quotes

This seems accurate to me. I think that's around €23m with €7m in add-ons? Not sure of the current currency exchange.

Add-ons include PL and/or CL titles, apparently.

Kaos

I think most of us had already made peace with this so it doesn't hurt as much.

We have done good business so far ourselves and I doubt we are finished.
Have we? VDB looks a neat player but occupies a position thats probably the smallest priority for us. Meanwhile we still have gaping weaknesses in RW, CB and to a lesser extent in LB/DM, and thats not even going into our woeful strength in depth.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
That cant be right :lol:
I don’t think it is, but the key thing that is true is we’re paying 5 million initially which is what I suspect has finally allowed this deal to get done. It’s been rumoured for a while our finances have been holding this up and this allows for some creative leeway around that whilst still giving Bayern what they want.

Josh 76

I don’t think it is, but the key thing that is true is we’re paying 5 million initially which is what I suspect has finally allowed this deal to get done. It’s been rumoured for a while our finances have been holding this up and this allows for some creative leeway around that whilst still giving Bayern what they want.
Just a shame Eddie Howe is no longer around to balance your books.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So Liverpool called Bayern's bluff and stuck to their guns on not paying 30m. Our name was probably chucked in to try and get them to pay up

Status
Not open for further replies.