Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The cantona and andy cole transfers will never be beaten for sheer shock and out of the blueness.
The Cantona one, although I supported United then, I was a bit too young to understand it.

But the Cole one was incredible. Was at school, changing after hockey, and some teacher came in and said United had just signed Cole. Yeah whatever was the general consensus...til we got home!

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
The Cantona one, although I supported United then, I was a bit too young to understand it.

But the Cole one was incredible. Was at school, changing after hockey, and some teacher came in and said United had just signed Cole. Yeah whatever was the general consensus...til we got home!
Similar with me and cole. I ran home and put on teletext and then came in my pants

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Allegedly Moyes wants to utilise him like he did Arteta, and if I'm not mistaken that was in a two man midfield.
Spot on observation.

I must say, this is getting way more interesting than all this wanking over Maureen back in PL.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
That was one of my major concerns regarding Thiago, his ability to slot into a two man midfield. Having watched him in the U21 European Championship though, I'd feel comfortable with him and Carrick in the centre of the park.
Allegedly Moyes wants to utilise him like he did Arteta, and if I'm not mistaken that was in a two man midfield.
Why wouldnt he be able to fit into a 2 man midfield?. The guy has a decent engine, fantastic ball control, a great passing range, superb balance and pace as well as a nice heads up playing style meaning he is aware of all thats going on around him. What bit of those things gives any concern to how he fits into midfield?

Brightonian

Nothing like the Rooney signing. Everybody could claim to have an in depth knowledge to Rooney the player after his exploits for Everton and England in Euro 2004. I can reckon the majority on here have only seen a few instances of Thiago.
I highly doubt it. Barcelona have been the most desirable team to broadcast outside of the EPL for the last four years. Speaking from my own experience, I've been able to watch feckloads of him because Barca are perpetually on UK tv.

I don't think it's that much like the Rooney or Ronaldo signings though because of the different ages of the players and statuses of the selling teams. Ronaldo and Rooney were both teenagers, star players for smaller teams. Thiago is a second-string player for an even better team than us - the best team in the world for much of his time there - who has nonetheless managed to rack up loads of games because he's now 22.

Thiago might not quite be Ronaldo in terms of world-beating potential hype, but he's also less 'potential' more 'proven talent'.

I can honestly say I haven't been so excited about a transfer since Rooney. Thiago's ability accounts for a lot of that, but it's also to do with the long, long wait for that midfield signing.

We all wish there was a little less Anderson.
:lol:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think it'd be a pretty similar signing to Kagawa in terms of expectation. Adds a bit of flair and class to the team and pretty much guaranteed to be a success. Kagawa was more proven without necessarily having the same hype but overall I'd say expectations were about the same. Plus it's easy to forget Kagawa was less than a year older than Thiago is now at the time we signed him.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Why wouldnt he be able to fit into a 2 man midfield?. The guy has a decent engine, fantastic ball control, a great passing range, superb balance and pace as well as a nice heads up playing style meaning he is aware of all thats going on around him. What bit of those things gives any concern to how he fits into midfield?
As I said, having watched him for the U21 Spanish side I was able to dispel these concerns.
Previous to this I was wary that he'd been playing in a tiki-taka three man midfield, completely different to the fast pace of the Premier League.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nothing like the Rooney signing. Everybody could claim to have an in depth knowledge to Rooney the player after his exploits for Everton and England in Euro 2004. I can reckon the majority on here have only seen a few instances of Thiago.
Thiago already has over 100 appearances for Barcelona, it's not like he's a risky signing, or a player who isn't well known. This is one of the best youngsters and world football we're talking about, and one that's ready to start for most teams in the world, apart from Barcelona or bayern.

Ash_G

That wouldn't change our formation though as he would just be as a number 10, so a replacement for Rooney. They play virtually the same position.

I'm still hoping we see the current system slightly amended to have Kagawa much more tucked in and with license to roam on the left, Rooney playing properly in the hole and ideally Nani, if not Valencia if he's actually back in form giving the width on the right. Thiago would then be a great option to have playing a little deeper and able to actually burst forward to real effect. With or without Thiago I think that four, can be great and I'm encouraged by how Moyes used Pienaar and Baines, would be good to see Kagawa get that same freedom.

Having someone like Thiago though would also give us a better ability to utilise a 433 though when we needed too as we would get some extra creativity to help offset the wingers if they did get dropped from that system in favor of the strikers.

Brightonian

I think it'd be a pretty similar signing to Kagawa in terms of expectation. Adds a bit of flair and class to the team and pretty much guaranteed to be a success. Kagawa was more proven without necessarily having the same hype but overall I'd say expectations were about the same. Plus it's easy to forget Kagawa was less than a year older than Thiago is now at the time we signed him.
Agreed, mostly. I think some will question you on 'guaranteed to be a success', but they'll be wrong. Plenty of sensible people predicted exactly what had happened - that Kagawa might take a season to really settle, but that by the end of that season he'd be showing every sign of becoming a fantastic key player for us. I've actually been surprised by how many people either think that he had a 'bad' season, or have been surprised that he didn't instantly displace Rooney and become the best AM in the league.

Both, for me, have the potential to be amongst the best in the world in their positions once their generation of players takes the fore.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Thiago already has over 100 appearances for Barcelona, it's not like he's a risky signing, or a player who isn't well known. This is one of the best youngsters and world football we're talking about, and one that's ready to start for most teams in the world, apart from Barcelona or bayern.
Not saying he's a risky signing but Rooney was a wunderkind.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You just know we're all going to be excited about Moyes' press conference with some believing the rumours that he's going to be announced at the same time and it'll go by with a whimper and nothing very exciting happening other than the Ronaldo transfer being officially announced.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
In fairness, I'd expect the club to release a statement on the site before revealing anything at a press conference like that. Have we ever done that?

Everest Red

Reddest ever
Realistically, I can't imagine us keeping Rooney if we buy the likes of Thiago and Ronaldo. There would need to be some sort of income to offset club record buys like that, should they actually happen.
New Tv deal? That's probably why Liverpool are on their mediocrity signing spree and Spurs are able to throw money on 17 year olds.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
If Thiago signs, I can't help but feel that we'll be moving to a 3 man midfield - and that could hasten Rooney's exit.
I agree with this. I'm thinking along these lines,

Thiago Carrick​
Nani Kagawa Ronaldo​
RVP​

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Thiago Carick​
Nani Kagawa Ronaldo​
RVP​
What has changed there though? How is that any different to,

Thiago Carick​
Nani Rooney Ronaldo​
RVP​

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
The Rooney/Kagawa part.

:lol: Nah not what I mean mate

He said "I can't help but feel that we'll be moving to a 3 man midfield", so a change in system. The system he posted is the exact same, it just swaps Rooney for Kagawa.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
4-4-1-1 which is Moyesy's favourite formation can be easily converted to that 4-2-3-1 during the matches.

Just push the wingers further into enemy's territory and it may work, easily.

Summit

Nah not what I mean mate

He said "I can't help but feel that we'll be moving to a 3 man midfield", so a change in system. The system he posted is the exact same, it just swaps Rooney for Kagawa.
It's a 3 man midfield. Two defensive midfielders and an attacking midfielder.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Thiago also operates very well in that front 3 behind the striker too. Great eye for goal and final ball, and his dribbling probably doesn't need to be mentioned. I think his versatility will be a huge asset. Maybe he'll be shoved forward when we need a goal, alot like City do with Yaya.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
It's a 3 man midfield. Two defensive midfielders and an attacking midfielder.
Kagawa and Rooney play the same position. Rooney hasn't played as a striker since 2009-2010.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
One thing that has kept surprising me is the total lack of coverage of this by Sky, truly bizarre.
It is odd, even when they were at the training ground yesterday the bloke with the microphone mentioned Baines and Garay but nothing about Thiago or Strootman (the latter we now know isn't happening)

Ash_G

Thiago Carrick​
Nani Kagawa Ronaldo​
RVP​

That looks like a great team, might be lacking a bit defensively though. Bringing in Thiago in our current team should work fine, I don't expect him to be great defensively but I'm sure he'll do his job and the other players we have are typically hard workers, I just think that might be a little too light on defensive strength with Ronaldo there. Though you'd have to imagine that team would score a huge amount of goals.

Summit

Kagawa and Rooney play the same position. Rooney hasn't played as a striker since 2009-2010.
To which Rooney has been very vocal about after the recent England game against Brazil. He does not want that position anymore. He wants to be up front.

Summit

I'm at work, can someone copy and paste that tweet so I can see it please.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
To which Rooney has been very vocal about after the recent England game against Brazil. He does not want that position anymore. He wants to be up front.
What does that have to do with anything?

I was just saying that playing Kagawa in Rooney's postion would be the same system, with them both playing in the hole behind Van Persie.

Status
Not open for further replies.