Thiago Alcantara | Signed for Bayern Munich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decotron

I think crediting Pogba for his exit as a brave footballing decision etc is utter bollox. His agent engineered every last bit of the move 12 months ahead of his actual transfer date.

It hard for some fans to digest it but theres a breed/generation of players who genuinely dont give a feck about who they play for. All about the money, nothing else. The agent looks after everything now.

Not saying all of our current players are 100% committed to the club but the less mercinaries in the squad the better and Im certain Pogba is one. Him and his agent will feck Juve over soon enough as well.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I have said here before that calling Pogba a twat and wishing for Thiago to come here is a hypocrisy of the biggest order.
United felt he wasn't ready, but Pogba and a few on here felt he was. At that point we didn't match his ambition, like Le Harve didn't when we nicked him. To ignore what we did and criticise 'modern football' because he left for first team football makes no sense. Arguably leaving for first team football is proper old old school, not enough players do it in my opinion.

Agree 100%

Gazza

It's not *all* about the money though. In Pogba's case it was money and a hugely attractive proposition for his career in playing for Juventus.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
You wont find those type of muppets in this thread thats for sure...

Different type of muppet runs amuck in this one :)
I thought that was a winky smiley :( Got so excited coz RHD was flirting with me for a second. Little do I know :(

Agreed. It seems the summer (or our winter!) of 2013 has given birth to a different kind of muppet altogether. The genHectically enhanced super-muppet!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
United were grooming him so he would be ready for a first team place in the 2012/13 season.

They might not have felt he was ready that year, but if he'd have been patient he would have played.
Probably exactly what Barcelona are trying to convince Thiago these last few days.

I had sympathy for Pogba and I also understand Thiago's predicament. Why wait if you have the confidence and self belief?

Revan

Assumptionman
The bolded sounds like made up stuff to me to support your point. Many reports stated we had offered more than Juve financially, and there was nothing that suggested he wanted parity with Clev and Welbeck on about 50k.

Now, I am a fan of his and would have rather he stayed too, but the reasons you have given to discredit him seem fabricated.
Pogba is on about 20k on Juventus according to all reports I have read. So, I don't believe that he wanted 50k a week.

Anyway, it's not always relevant. We are possibly going to give Thiago around 100k per week (from the press) which will mean that he'll get more money than Carrick who has proved his worth for almost a decade and has been rewarded with that wage. But but, here it comes a Brazilian-Spanish kid who'll get more than him without proving nothing for us.

Sir A1ex

The difference for me is that Drogba was ridiulously impatient. He was still a teenager, and would probably have been a regular starter within a year, given our midfield options. Thiago is 22 and has no prospect of breakinginto the Barca first team in the foreseeable future.

Phil

Everyone needs to keep this about our man and shut up about bloody Pogba, and Drogba as above..

Platato

Psst!
My Thiago dream is a bit different. He finally gets into Carrington after being chased by a mob of dedicated Barcelona supporters, and quickly slams the doors shut behind him. A smile, perhaps his first for years, finally breaks out and he closes his eyes with a sigh of relief - he has made it. That's when Moyes comes over, hands in his pockets, full-tracksuit, maniac smile the fecking lot. He starts laughing, but then Sir Alex, stepping out of his shadow directly behind him, finishes the laugh in a sinister manner. He shouts out in a menacing tone "Tuggy.....Whaur th' fook urr think ye gaun?" Thiago's smile falters, he's confused now, his mouth drops as Fergie ambles over to him. Moyes, standing behind in the corner, crosses his legs, hands still in pockets and starts humming a song, it's a Scottish one no-one knows. Fergie knows it though, and starts an awkward shuffle that he thinks is a dance, and moves ever close to Thiago. He takes a hand out and throws a five pound note at Thiago's face. Thaigo, confused and scared, looks into Fergie's eyes, who nods slowly at him and says "Work it...." Moyes nods his head and laughs in the background, he softly whispers "make it rain". Fergie follows instructions and again throws a fiver at Thiago, who is now beginning to understand the situation he finds himself in. He stammers "please...please no....." but it's too late, Fergie is swaying from side to side with his bad dancing and is definitely making it rain on Thiago. The dream ends with Moyes and Fergie both dancing around him, completely invading his personal space, and as the cash rains down around him he breaks down into tears and screams "Barcelonaaaaaaa".
:lol:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think crediting Pogba for his exit as a brave footballing decision etc is utter bollox. His agent engineered every last bit of the move 12 months ahead of his actual transfer date.

It hard for some fans to digest it but theres a breed/generation of players who genuinely dont give a feck about who they play for. All about the money, nothing else. The agent looks after everything now.

Not saying all of our current players are 100% committed to the club but the less mercinaries in the squad the better and Im certain Pogba is one. Him and his agent will feck Juve over soon enough as well.

Money has something to do with to .... but if an equal club can pay me more and I get to play more .... erm, why would anyone turn that down?

I'd even question a homegrown players logic in that, from a career development point of view ... Fabregas and Pique for example got those calls 100% correct.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba is on about 20k on Juventus according to all reports I have read. So, I don't believe that he wanted 50k a week.

Anyway, it's not always relevant. We are possibly going to give Thiago around 100k per week (from the press) which will mean that he'll get more money than Carrick who has proved his worth for almost a decade and has been rewarded with that wage. But but, here it comes a Brazilian-Spanish kid who'll get more than him without proving nothing for us.
Your wage shouldn't be determined by your length of service surely. Salaries, in nearly every profession, are dictated by the market. We would give Thiago 100k simply because he could get that elsewhere. Despite his very good season, I doubt Carrick would leave United and better his salary. We know that, so we pay him what we can get away with paying him.

Do you think if we signed Neymar he should be on less than Carrick, on the basis of what he has proved?

SATA

The difference for me is that Drogba was ridiulously impatient. He was still a teenager, and would probably have been a regular starter within a year, given our midfield options. Thiago is 22 and has no prospect of breakinginto the Barca first team in the foreseeable future.
Drogba was never our player

JmRssll555

I'm not really sure what I make of the Pogba/Thiago comparison, as this is the first time I've really read about it and thought about the similarities of the two situations - however, I would counter your point about Pogba's impatience by pointing to the game during his final season where Rafael and Gibson started in central midfield ahead of him.

Now, as a teenage midfielder at Manchester United, who's shown some fantastic potential in the youth and reserve teams, it would be a huge let down to be overlooked for a home game against a poor side in favour of two other players who Pogba was arguably better than.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
No disrespect to Le Havre but you can't compare leaving them for us to leaving us for juventus. Fair enough if he just didn't like Manchester but you're citing first team football as the reason, he would have got that this year with us.
I can compare them when the original point is that it's a symptom of the rot of modern football. I think us stealing him for the reserves is much worse if you are being objective.

Revan

Assumptionman
Drogba was a veteran, and he was a striker ;)

Did SAF said to Pogba that you'll start next season if you stay? Does anyone really believe that Pogba would had made more than 5 starts at us last season? Even Cleverley and Ando who were much more proven than Pogba struggled to start last year for us and only when SAF really saw that Scholes is not reliable anymore (and Fletcher disease continued) Cleverley got his chance. I don't believe that it would have been any different last season for Pogba, bar a possible loan to Championship. Why playing for Watford when you can start at Juve in the end?

Revan

Assumptionman
Your wage shouldn't be determined by your length of service surely. Salaries, in nearly every profession, are dictated by the market. We would give Thiago 100k simply because he could get that elsewhere. Despite his very good season, I doubt Carrick would leave United and better his salary. We know that, so we pay him what we can get away with paying him.

Do you think if we signed Neymar he should be on less than Carrick, on the basis of what he has proved?
That was exactly my point to be fair.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Drogba was a veteran, and he was a striker ;)

Did SAF said to Pogba that you'll start next season if you stay? Does anyone really believe that Pogba would had made more than 5 starts at us last season? Even Cleverley and Ando who were much more proven than Pogba struggled to start last year for us and only when SAF really saw that Scholes is not reliable anymore (and Fletcher disease continued) Cleverley got his chance. I don't believe that it would have been any different last season for Pogba, bar a possible loan to Championship. Why playing for Watford when you can start at Juve in the end?

Yeah, and if people could be doubtful at the time he left, I think the way the season panned out for him, playing important matches for the French National team and for Juventus, people have to acknowledge it's very likely he made the right decision. It's hard to envision a better debut season as a first team player. It's not like he went to obscurity and make millions playing at Anzhi.

SATA

Apparently he's asking that all United players have to eat in his father's restaurant every time he plays, and leave tips when he scores. He wants guarantees in contract. The little fecker.
Give it to him. In fact, give whatever he wants just to have him sign the bloody contract!

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Is this bloke actually any good? That's what I'd to know.
I asked the same question 10 pages ago. Apparently according to the redcafe youTUBE analysts, he is the prospect of a generation.

I bow to their superior youtube analysis skilssz.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

All plausible, but I'm just saying ignoring our move for him while slating Juve, is silly.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
And Fergie said in the beginning of the season that Pogba will play a role in that season because if he doesn't play he'll leave. And yet continued playing the same players, returned Scholes from retiring and played Park and Rafael when we didn't have a single available midfielder. Clubs don't usually fulfill their promises, most of the time is okay but at times they pay for that. We don't know when Pogba agreed terms with Juve, and from a lot of interviews I have listened to him he looks exactly that he left cause promises didn't got fulfilled and he didn't get his chance.
I think its safe to say United are a bigger club than Juve for starters. He was only 18 when he legged it & he would have been given the chance to prove himself again when Fergie thought he was ready, because the 3 games he played in our first-team - he most certainly wasnt ready to play week-in week-out...

Pogba might have played 27 games for Juve last season & scored 5 goals... fair play to him, but the Premier League is by far the superior league atm & the pace of their game allows players more time on the ball. The Prem eats players up if they dwell on the ball - thats why there's an impression of hoof-the-ball in English football - many players just get rid of it as they've little time to do anything with it, better players will always find a pass & can manage their space & distribution better tho. Pogba needed time to adjust to that pace, thats why Fergie was being patient with him & Pogba would have known that as Fergie would have told him & to trust him, but he knows more than Fergie apparantly!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I asked the same question 10 pages ago. Apparently according to the redcafe youTUBE analysts, he is the prospect of a generation.

I bow to their superior youtube analysis skilssz.
Yes because we need youtube to find out about a young player who has over 100 appearances for Barca during their best period ever.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Fergie was being patient with him & Pogba would have known that as Fergie would have told him & to trust him, but he knows more than Fergie apparantly!

No, I think he just wanted to play regularly. Nothing wrong in that. And he achieved his goal at a top club.

His gain, our loss. Thiago is the same.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Pogba needed time to adjust to that pace, thats why Fergie was being patient with him & Pogba would have known that as Fergie would have told him & to trust him, but he knows more than Fergie apparantly!

Fergie knows what is best for United, Pogba knows what is best for Pogba. Both can be wrong on occasion. Pogba was right this time, in regards to Fergie we would never know, but you can't assume both seek the same goal.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yes because we need youtube to find out about a young player who has over 100 appearances for Barca during their best period ever.
I, along with many others have never seen him play or know much about him. Its an honest question.

Status
Not open for further replies.