Thiago Silva | Chelsea Player

Supports
Chelsea

Silva in his full Rolls-Royciness, maybe his most enjoyable highlight comp I've seen. Especially nice that it covers all these last ditch/goal line clearances (another one yesterday) and the through ball assist vs South Korea, which went under the radar too much.
The one thing this video doesn't show is his extreme composure in high pressure situations. For example, his cushion headers/passes to teammates when 99% of CBs would just aimlessly clear the ball. Terry used to do the exact same thing, and its what I love most about Silva. It's the sign of a top defender.

Get In Scholesy

Has been the best defender in world football since 2011/2012. One of the best of all time.

In my opinion, his choices of clubs doesn’t help his case though. Doing it at 40 in the prem is probably a byproduct of coasting in the French League for so many years.

BerryBerryShrew

Debatable I think - considering Silva is probably the best CB in the world still in possession and that's always been a weakness of Varane's.
Possibly. The one thing we can definitely agree on is that the Milan version of Silva was certainly superior to peak Varane, which is incredible when you consider that Varane will go down as a legend with his trophy haul.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Possibly. The one thing we can definitely agree on is that the Milan version of Silva was certainly superior to peak Varane, which is incredible when you consider that Varane will go down as a legend with his trophy haul.
Yeah agreed there 100%. And also agree with the other posters lamenting what could have been if he'd only gone to a top club instead of PSG - but selfishly it does make our CL win in 21 just a bit sweeter knowing it got such a legend his biggest club trophy!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The one thing this video doesn't show is his extreme composure in high pressure situations. For example, his cushion headers/passes to teammates when 99% of CBs would just aimlessly clear the ball. Terry used to do the exact same thing, and its what I love most about Silva. It's the sign of a top defender.
True, and I think this is one of the things he's probably the best in the world at. He has exceptional technique (of the Brazilian juggling kind), but he uses it in a strictly pragmatic way.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I understand the saying 'past his prime' is technically correct but it also implies quite a big decline, which is far from the truth. He's been flawless since he arrived at Chelsea. Never once being outdone by pacier attackers, and I've even seen him handle a few 2v1s insanely well. He's currently as good as any defender I've seen at the club in THEIR prime.
Fully agree. It's strange - while a relative decline in athleticism is obvious (but not exactly dramatic), I'd still struggle to say he's significantly worse than his prime self. One thing that may be even better than ever is the mental side of his game. He said so himself, and it's likely more than just the mandatory auto-suggestion of professional athletes. I think he cultivated an inch-perfect sense of what he's able to do in a given situation, which goes a long way in balancing out any effects of age. He's also said to have a Cristiano-like commitment to his fitness regime.

It's clear the initial doubts have proven to be just generic: too old, will get exposed for pace, won't cope with the intensity of the PL, can't play in a back 4 anymore, can't be a regular starter for a season, will get grilled in a high line, struggles with pressure... none of this has happened, rather the opposite.

Last edited:

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders I have ever seen at Chelsea.

It’s a shame he spent so many years in Ligue 1 but what a signing he has been. He doesn’t appear to be slowing down whatsoever either.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Fully agree. It's strange - while a relative decline in athleticism is obvious (but not exactly dramatic), I'd still struggle to say he's significantly worse than his prime self. One thing that may be even better than ever is the mental side of his game. He said so himself, and it's likely more than just the mandatory auto-suggestion of professional athletes. I think he cultivated an inch-perfect sense of what he's able to do in a given situation, which goes a long way in balancing out any effects of age. He's also said to have a Cristiano-like commitment to his fitness regime.

It's clear the initial doubts have proven to be just generic: too old, will get exposed for pace, won't cope with the intensity of the PL, can't play in a back 4 anymore, can't be a regular starter for a season, will get grilled in a high line, struggles with pressure... none of this has happened, rather the opposite.
The first couple of pages area very funny to read. Especially around his debut game.

Mercurial

I understand the saying 'past his prime' is technically correct but it also implies quite a big decline, which is far from the truth. He's been flawless since he arrived at Chelsea. Never once being outdone by pacier attackers, and I've even seen him handle a few 2v1s insanely well. He's currently as good as any defender I've seen at the club in THEIR prime. But surely he can't keep it going for much longer.
We should have gone in for him. A joy to watch and loyal as they come. I was dissapointed we didn't. His read on the game is sublime and probably make him energy efficient enough to compensate enough pace decline to keep performing for a few years. Health advances today evidently let's certain type of players keep going and going.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I predicted Koulibaly would be poor in this league.

I’m glad I don’t have any predictions as such in this thread.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
He's brilliant. Can't believe that he's still performing at this level at his age, in the EPL no less.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
We should have gone in for him. A joy to watch and loyal as they come. I was dissapointed we didn't. His read on the game is sublime and probably make him energy efficient enough to compensate enough pace decline to keep performing for a few years. Health advances today evidently let's certain type of players keep going and going.
His reading is certainly that. In fact I'd much rather have cover for him in a back 5 than see him dropped when he eventually can't keep up. At his age I would have expected way more muscular issues from the weekly grind.

Apparently he looks after himself as well as anyone and is obsessed with his fitness and diet.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some awful awful takes in this thread. Some members are way too quick to write players off when they arrive at a new league/club specially when they showed their class elsewhere

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I predicted Koulibaly would be poor in this league.

I’m glad I don’t have any predictions as such in this thread.
You were trashing AC and bigging up Zouma as his superior in this thread. One ended up improving so much under Tuchel and helped us win the CL and is now at Barca and the other is fighting relegation at West Ham, kicking cats for fun in his spare time :D

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
You were trashing AC and bigging up Zouma as his superior in this thread. One ended up improving so much under Tuchel and helped us win the CL and is now at Barca and the other is fighting relegation at West Ham, kicking cats for fun in his spare time :D
Id love to say that wasn’t me. In fairness I never liked AC. Such a feeble centre back.

But Zouma, no excuses.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Thiago Silva is one of the best defenders I have ever seen at Chelsea.

It’s a shame he spent so many years in Ligue 1 but what a signing he has been. He doesn’t appear to be slowing down whatsoever either.
You've had quite the collection of top class centre-backs down the years. Not many clubs could better the quartet of Desailly, Terry, Carvalho and Thiago Silva.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Give him 8.5 years.

It’s mad to think that he arrived at the age of nearly 36 and then proceeds to spend 4 seasons as a starter and arguably the most important player in the team.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
It’s mad to think that he arrived at the age of nearly 36 and then proceeds to spend 4 seasons as a starter and arguably the most important player in the team.
He is an absolute legend and I’m not one to use that word lightly. Even at his age, he would make the vast majority of elite teams better. I’m really not sure how many CBs currently playing could truly be called World Class like him.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
You've had quite the collection of top class centre-backs down the years. Not many clubs could better the quartet of Desailly, Terry, Carvalho and Thiago Silva.
Good knowledge. Desailly is often overlooked in these discussion although I can appreciate some people may remember him from his midfield days.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He stays for a 4th season.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
He is absolutely crucial to us.

If he can continue to support Badiashile, who looks excellent, he will be worth his weight in gold.

bringbackbebe

As embarrassing as it is for Chelsea after spending so much, he's still their most reliable defender.

kaku06

He’s been imperious. An amazing defender who has maintained his class compared to someone who has been great for just 2 years all his career and was called as the best centre back ever.

He is the only defender in my book in today’s game who belongs to the great era of defenders of 90’s and 00’s. All your Ramos’s, Van dijk’s, Pique’s and Pepe’s aren’t close to him imo.

Raw

39 in September! To be almost 40 in such a difficult league, and be one of the best defenders in it, is mad.

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
He'll last a season and move on. It's a little too late for him in the PL, I'll be very surprised if he's a huge success, he won't be dreadful, but there will be plenty of moments of tragedy.
Its quite interesting revisiting historical posts.

To be honest I thought he was too old when he signed and if the £110k a week is right been an absolute bargain