Thiago Silva | Chelsea Player

Judas

Open to offers
Fair to say he's done much better than I expected. It did start shaky for him though! But he's ended up taking to the league very well all things considered.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
39 in September! To be almost 40 in such a difficult league, and be one of the best defenders in it, is mad.
I watch him every week and find it mad as well. And the maddest thing is he genuinely still has enough legs to deal with any 1v1. At 39 I half expected him to be rolled out on a wheelchair and yet you see him effortlessly dealing with players of the pace of Nunez etc.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I watch him every week and find it mad as well. And the maddest thing is he genuinely still has enough legs to deal with any 1v1. At 39 I half expected him to be rolled out on a wheelchair and yet you see him effortlessly dealing with players of the pace of Nunez etc.
Every new season I’m expecting it be the season the wheels finally come off and his legs give up on him but he just keeps going and stays one of our best and most consistent players in the team. To remain a top 3 defender in the league at the age of 38 is genuinely insane.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's rare, but there are some players who just are that professional and use their experience so well to deal with everything thrown at them. Frankfurt's Hasebe is similar, even dealing quite well with Harry Kane when they met in the CL. It's just as if time doesn't really affect these players, like they found some cheat code on nature.

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea
It's rare, but there are some players who just are that professional and use their experience so well to deal with everything thrown at them. Frankfurt's Hasebe is similar, even dealing quite well with Harry Kane when they met in the CL. It's just as if time doesn't really affect these players, like they found some cheat code on nature.
With Silva I know his nutrition and fitness regimes are immense these days. And that combined with the fact that he was naturally quick and fit as a young defender has made it possible to be at this level, in this league. Yeah, most players don't have that level of dedication or natural fitness unfortunately.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I didnt want him back then because we had good potentials in Phil Jones and Chris Smalling.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The end of this interview kinda sounds like he already knows this will be his last season at Chelsea. Never expected him to last more than 2 seasons. Signed at 36. He’s closing in on 150 games now, 4 seasons. Will be a few month off 40 when the season ends.

Last edited:

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is a special player and a special athlete.

I am glad Chelsea gave him the platform to show it in the latter years of his career. I think he is the best CB of his generation and his longevity is a marker of that.

He could go back to Brazil at 40 and be the best CB in the league if he chooses to play on.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
A shame that he stayed at PSG for so long of his career but quite a feat to have become and remained a top class defender for c. 15 years across 3 decades.

Righteous Steps

He is a special player and a special athlete.

I am glad Chelsea gave him the platform to show it in the latter years of his career. I think he is the best CB of his generation and his longevity is a marker of that.

He could go back to Brazil at 40 and be the best CB in the league if he chooses to play on.
He is the best CB of his generation.

Hughes35

Class act of a player. I've said for years and years that Silva, Rio and Maldini stand out a mile to me as the best defenders I've seen.

Big drop from them to the likes of Kompany, Van Dijk etc (Even though still excellent)

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
This season Silva has played the most PL minutes out of the whole Chelsea squad despite being fecking 39 years old.

What a fine specimen he is and I'm really glad to have had him at the club, just a shame it didn't happen a couple years sooner. Even if he leaves after this season I never imagined he'd last for 4 years at the club when he first arrived aged 36.

Stadjer

He is the best CB of his generation.
He could very well be. However he doesnt get the recognition for his talents because he 'wasted' his prime in France. I think Marquinhos suffers from the same problem. Excellent defender but you never hear his name in any of the best defenders lists.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
The end of this interview kinda sounds like he already knows this will be his last season at Chelsea. Never expected him to last more than 2 seasons. Signed at 36. He’s closing in on 150 games now, 4 seasons. Will be a few month off 40 when the season ends.
Damn, this took me off guard. He's been there 4 years? He actually has more games for Chelsea than Milan already.