"Thiago wanted to join Manchester United" claims Rio

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Rio Ferdinand tells a story about Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara wanting to sign for Manchester United back in 2013.

If you don’t recall the Thiago Alcantara to United transfer saga that summer, it was tiresome, with dithering David Moyes ultimately passing on the opportunity to sign the Spain international.

It is eight years since Thiago left Barcelona when he joined Bayern Munich in a deal that cost the Bundesliga side just €25 million.

According to Ferdinand, Thiago got his number from David de Gea before contacting the then-Manchester United defender because he wanted to join the club.

“Before Thiago left Barcelona, he called me,” Ferdinand told FIVE, as quoted by the Metro. “He speaks fluent English and we have played against Barcelona in the US on tour.

“So we knew about him, anyway, and a few years later Moyes was manager. I don’t speak to Thiago, I don’t know him, but David de Gea gave him my number.

“So [Thiago] rang me, and he said, ‘Rio, I would love to come to Man United, can you speak to someone?’

“I spoke to the people at the club… Moyes, it might have [also] been [Ed] Woodward, I mentioned it. [They replied], ‘no, we’re already down the line with a couple of other signings.’”

The tip was ignored because a deal never materialised and United ended up with Marouane Fellaini that summer.

Thiago currently plays for Liverpool and would’ve probably preferred if Ferdinand kept this story to himself.

United missed the opportunity to sign a player who went on to have a brilliant career at Bayern Munich, but I’m not one bit bothered by the fact we passed on the chance to sign him last summer.

It is interesting to hear more former players speak out about Woodward in such a way, with him set to depart the club before the end of the year, especially when referencing transfers that went wrong.

https://strettynews.com/2021/07/06/...ource=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0085

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Idiots

But then we knew that already

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I remember hearing that Moyes didn't want Thiago as he hadn't personally watched him play. Not sure how true that story is though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Moyes rejected Thiago, Van Gaal rejected Kroos.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Not too bothered about Cattermole not joining us. Kroos however, that's the one that got away.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I thought it was Giggs who said he wasn’t a United player?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn’t mind nearly half as much, provided we got those ‘couple of other signings’ done. But we didn’t, and we ended up going flaccid dick in hand to Everton at half past eleven on deadline day, and paying way more than they actually wanted for a glorified chest magnet.

AshRK

Idiot Moyes. The guy was given a kingdom to run and he turned the place to a shithole.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Mind blowing levels of incompetence.
Particularly when you think about the fact that he was abnormally cheap due to Barcelona messing up his game time which triggered a clause. Also unless we were about to sign 4 top midfielders, there is no way to justify not signing Thiago when you are currently starting Cleverley.

Last edited:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Wasn't it Fabregas we got linked a lot with that summer too? Anyway, nos vemos en Manchester :(

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Thiago and Kroos… It’ll never fully compute… Moyes instead spends all summer supposedly going after Fabregas and ends up with you know who for how much extra and LVG says no to Kroos and goes for the crocked Basti a year later… crazy times giving the keys of the clubs to two fellas who were trying to shape the team in their own image and which was always going to fall flat given the clubs values. Our recruitment from Woodward down was an absolute nightmare.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think Moyes might have had a different career at United had we got him. Top 4 wasn't this competitive and we could have had an elite midfield with him .

Instead we got Fellaini. Shh !

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Particularly when you think about the fact that he was abnormally cheap due to Barcelona messing up his game time which triggered a clause. Also unless we were on the verge to sign 4 top midfielders, there is no way to justify not signing Thiago when you are currently starting Cleverley.
That makes it even worse. Thanks JP :lol:

El Zoido

I remember hearing that Moyes didn't want Thiago as he hadn't personally watched him play. Not sure how true that story is though.
Doesn’t matter if it’s true or not, it’s the fact that it’s believable..

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Old info BUT worth keeping in mind when praising Woodward and the other jokers in charge of transfers for one potentially decent summer.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sir Alex apparently already laid the ground work. All we had to do was pull the trigger. Systemic incompetence from top to bottom in our post-SAF era.

Jordi

"Nos Vemos en Manchester"

What a time to be a muppet.

R_Cubed

Doesn’t matter if it’s true or not, it’s the fact that it’s believable..
You're absolutely spot on. It is sad that a former Manchester United manager was that incompetent and limited in his thinking.

UncleBob

Rio Ferdinand tells a story about Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara wanting to sign for Manchester United back in 2013.

If you don’t recall the Thiago Alcantara to United transfer saga that summer, it was tiresome, with dithering David Moyes ultimately passing on the opportunity to sign the Spain international.

It is eight years since Thiago left Barcelona when he joined Bayern Munich in a deal that cost the Bundesliga side just €25 million.

According to Ferdinand, Thiago got his number from David de Gea before contacting the then-Manchester United defender because he wanted to join the club.

“Before Thiago left Barcelona, he called me,” Ferdinand told FIVE, as quoted by the Metro. “He speaks fluent English and we have played against Barcelona in the US on tour.

“So we knew about him, anyway, and a few years later Moyes was manager. I don’t speak to Thiago, I don’t know him, but David de Gea gave him my number.

“So [Thiago] rang me, and he said, ‘Rio, I would love to come to Man United, can you speak to someone?’

“I spoke to the people at the club… Moyes, it might have [also] been [Ed] Woodward, I mentioned it. [They replied], ‘no, we’re already down the line with a couple of other signings.’”

The tip was ignored because a deal never materialised and United ended up with Marouane Fellaini that summer.

Thiago currently plays for Liverpool and would’ve probably preferred if Ferdinand kept this story to himself.

United missed the opportunity to sign a player who went on to have a brilliant career at Bayern Munich, but I’m not one bit bothered by the fact we passed on the chance to sign him last summer.

It is interesting to hear more former players speak out about Woodward in such a way, with him set to depart the club before the end of the year, especially when referencing transfers that went wrong.

https://strettynews.com/2021/07/06/...ource=rsn&utm_medium=rsn&utm_campaign=gac0085
What the feck are you actually on about? It was Moyes that didn't fancy him.

CG1010

The summer that started it all.. I have trauma about that summer and season as a whole

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Moyes rejected Thiago, Van Gaal rejected Kroos.
You couldn't make it up could you

Fergie lays the groundwork to sign Thiago
Moyes says nah

Moyes lays the groundwork to sign Kroos
LVG says nah

R_Cubed

I would expect nothing less from Moyes and Ed.
To be fair that is one of the less egregious things that both did while at the club. The fact that we passed on Kroos and Thiago in successive summers when we could have gotten them for the same price that we paid for Fellaini and Schneiderlin is astonishing. Our utter incompetence got us where we are.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I would expect nothing less from Moyes and Ed.
To be fair it was Woodward's first summer. The blame should be on Gill and Moyes, iirc Gill left the same summer but later in it.

Oranges038

Pretty much common knowledge and discussed to death on here numerous times already.

UncleBob

Sir Alex apparently already laid the ground work. All we had to do was pull the trigger. Systemic incompetence from top to bottom in our post-SAF era.
He tried to snatch him from their academy, Fergie rated him highly.