Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

Dinghy

Opposition players picking up the ball when your team has been awarded a free kick. It's clear and utter sabotage, just fecking book them and we'll be done with it. Same with standing in front of the ball for free kicks. How is this allowed, it so clearly interrupts the flow of the game?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
The sudden overuse of the phrase "sackable offence." Everything is a sackable offence now, offensively so. Buying a player is a sackable offence. Selling a player is a sackable offence. Playing a player is a sackable offence. Being a player is a sackable offence. It's a sackable offence if it's an action which offends you in some insignificant way and is performed by anyone who is in a position of employment from which one could theoretically be sacked. Take your sackable offence and fence it up your sack, you miserable sack of fence.

And another thing - I had to edit that entire rant to change every instance stackable offense to sackable offence because of my phone's predictive corrections. Whoever is responsible should lose their job.
This post is a sackable offence

thisisnottaken1

This is atrocious.

Though not as atrocious as Wembley semi finals. That remains one of the biggest feck offs in football. Diminishes the stadium, takes the piss out of The North and all teams playing there. fecks over the fans. Needs to stop.
Yeah, they should go back to playing them at other stadiums, like Villa Park, Old Trafford, etc

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
This is atrocious.

Though not as atrocious as Wembley semi finals. That remains one of the biggest feck offs in football. Diminishes the stadium, takes the piss out of The North and all teams playing there. fecks over the fans. Needs to stop.
It needs to stop soon

The justification was that Wembley is used to pay off debts for building the stadium but a number of stadiums have improved around the country.

Old Trafford, Villa Park, St James Park, Anfield, The Emirates, Cheese room, King Power all more than capable of hosting semis.

thisisnottaken1

It needs to stop soon

The justification was that Wembley is used to pay off debts for building the stadium but a number of stadiums have improved around the country.

Old Trafford, Villa Park, St James Park, Anfield, The Emirates, Cheese room, King Power all more than capable of hosting semis.
Stamford Bridge as well and maybe also the Council House

Counterfactual

The sudden overuse of the phrase "sackable offence." Everything is a sackable offence now, offensively so. Buying a player is a sackable offence. Selling a player is a sackable offence. Playing a player is a sackable offence. Being a player is a sackable offence. It's a sackable offence if it's an action which offends you in some insignificant way and is performed by anyone who is in a position of employment from which one could theoretically be sacked. Take your sackable offence and fence it up your sack, you miserable sack of fence.

And another thing - I had to edit that entire rant to change every instance stackable offense to sackable offence because of my phone's predictive corrections. Whoever is responsible should lose their job.
I see what you did there! :lol:

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
It’s pretty daft. Must have seen less than a handful of goals from free kicks going under the wall.

On walls; we played one pres season game ten or so years ago. Maybe in South Africa, maybe the States. The wall of 4-5 people kept bouncing individually out of sequence. It was so effective. Distracting and unpredictable for the taker. Really thought that would just become the new normal. Perhaps it distracted the keeper just as much. Was mighty effective though.
Ha, I like that.

Malons

How the top threads in the 'Performances' section are mostly all on players that haven't had any actual first team performances in a very, long time

HTG

Supports
Bayern
When tv stations and apps make weird graphics for a teams formation that are completely wrong. For example many will put the forwards on the outside, if a team plays with two of them, even though they both clearly play much closer to the middle.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Booking a GK for time wasting, then taking 20 seconds to write his name and the minute number in the ref's book. Then refusing to give the GK a second yellow regardless of how much more time wasting he does during the rest of the game.

Malons

The appropriation of men's teams rivalries in the women's game.

"Ooh big game this weekend. These two teams have huge history"

No, they don't. The men's team do, maybe but there's close to absolutely no historic rivalry between any of these teams and the assumption the rivalries must align with the men's game is absurd.

If Chelsea women built up a rivalry with Ipswich in the women's game, not a single person would think when the men's team played it would mean the same thing with it now being a huge game between the two clubs.

One of many barriers the women's game faces is having to cosplay elements of the men's game by aping the history.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
One of many barriers the women's game faces is having to cosplay elements of the men's game by aping the history.
I disagree with this totally.

If Man United women play Liverpool women, the historic rivalry between the men's sides draws significant interest to that game. Not everyone of course but certainly a lot.

It would be mad for women's footy to not piggyback off of that built-in interest.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal

If Man United women play Liverpool women, the historic rivalry between the men's sides draws significant interest to that game. Not everyone of course but certainly a lot.

It would be mad for women's footy to not piggyback off of that built-in interest.
Yeah, I think it's a weird take. A lot of the Arsenal Women's team are Gooners. The Women's North London Derby means way more to their team and fans than the Men's Derby meant to Marquinhos, for example.

After all, what is "history" if not piggy-backing off shared experience of others? As long as the connection is genuine, that all seems great to me.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
The appropriation of men's teams rivalries in the women's game.

"Ooh big game this weekend. These two teams have huge history"

No, they don't. The men's team do, maybe but there's close to absolutely no historic rivalry between any of these teams and the assumption the rivalries must align with the men's game is absurd.

If Chelsea women built up a rivalry with Ipswich in the women's game, not a single person would think when the men's team played it would mean the same thing with it now being a huge game between the two clubs.

Nah, I think it's the opposite.

Football fans are football fans, are sports fans, they feel that the club is part of their close circle.

I played semipro field hockey for a few clubs, and the best clubs were always those who had teams of different sports and genders who integrated.

I hate cricket, but if my hockey club's cricket team were playing, especially if they were playing either their rivals or my rivals, I'm staying and I'll be the loudest guy in the crowd. Because that's my team. Same way, being a goalkeeper, I can't play right wing, but the right winger is my teammate who I respect for his skills, same way I could a respect a teammate who played cricket.

And the people who came to support me stuck around to support them. Just because I hate cricket, doesn't mean every supporter of my team hate cricket.

Plus rivallries are about bragging rights. If Liverpool put 11 past us in the WSL and people were winding me up, yes I'd be pissed off, even if I had never watched a single thing about Manchester United Ladies

baskinginthesun

When the camera directly behind the goal stops a ball from perfectly rolling around the net to make the scored goal look special. Instead the camera stops it dead and now the goal scored looks like crap.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When the camera directly behind the goal stops a ball from perfectly rolling around the net to make the scored goal look special. Instead the camera stops it dead and now the goal scored looks like crap.
How does the camera stop anything dead?
Do you mean the camera pans away?

Thought you were meaning the difference between nets that let the ball nuzzle in them, versus those that are strung so tight that the ball smashes straight out for a second.

baskinginthesun

How does the camera stop anything dead?
Do you mean the camera pans away?

Thought you were meaning the difference between nets that let the ball nuzzle in them, versus those that are strung so tight that the ball smashes straight out for a second.

I think it's this one. Instead of allowing the ball to roll around the net for the, "net bulge", if you will; it stops the ball dead and takes away the beautifulness of the goal.

Anyways, just one of my annoyances.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Heard a rumour that it's to do with players who have been on one drug or another on their holidays who want to avoid being caught out in drug tests. Don't know if there's truth in it as I don't get the science but it would explain a lot!
Had a quick research and it can remove the effects. But you'd need to dye it a few times for better results.

Malons

Discussion that just descends into people citing shirt numbers with reference to some association with on-field positioning, because suddenly that's become obligatory and omnipresent.

"For me he's more of a number 8 than a 7. Possibly even a 6 and 17 ninths"

Fascinating, I'm sure.

Loon

:lol:
People who think football (and football records) only started with the Premier League.

Golden Nugget

Stoppage time.

Booking people for wasting time during stoppage time then blowing the whistle right when the whistle blows. Would love stoppage time to be a stop clock.

Offsides when they need to draw lines and it’s like a toenail offside. Change the rules, it’s hardly an advantage

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Offsides when they need to draw lines and it’s like a toenail offside. Change the rules, it’s hardly an advantage
This annoys me too greatly. Always feels like „HeyHo, we get so many obvious things wrong all the time - let‘s be super pedantic (yet still questionable) on this one and make it look like we‘re total experts!“

Way less annoying, because I can see where they‘re coming from at least, but having a player being miles offside with the ref at the sidelines having a clear view with the correct position/ angle but they let it play out for eternity until blowing the whistle eventually. Would really hate to see a player getting seriously injured in that timeframe.

Zen86

The showbiz nature of it all. That most players think they’re influencers and brand icons. The stupid haircuts, the makeup, the daft player intro videos and dramatic graphics they use on TV, and the Amerification of it. Used to be a working class sport with relatively normal people involved, now it feels very second-rate Hollywood in how it acts.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Discussion that just descends into people citing shirt numbers with reference to some association with on-field positioning, because suddenly that's become obligatory and omnipresent.

Fascinating, I'm sure.
Same. Check out this post. Classic of the genre. WTF?!

didz

I've just gotten used to this now. Ultimately you're either offside or you aren't, and the whole point of those silly lines is to make a call when you human eye can't.

Unfortunately that leads me to get very annoyed about the subjective offside calls, where the VAR team start deciding amongst themselves who might possibly be interfering with play in some way. At that point you are just looking for an excuse to chalk it off, and anyway, wasn't the whole bloody point for it to be objective? Grr

Malons

I've just gotten used to this now. Ultimately you're either offside or you aren't, and the whole point of those silly lines is to make a call when you human eye can't.
Yes and no. Self imposing lines over a freezeframe of a moving image that's highly pixilated that's taken from 70 meters away and deciding that two lines drawn by a couple of middle aged blokes guessing where they go provide enough evidence to rule of goals because - at best - they show someone's hip might possibly be a fraction blury, distantly shot, pixel further forward than a tiny smudge in screen that represents the defenders knee, should absolutely not be called offside.

The fact you can't really full-heartedly celebrate any goal now because as soon as the ball hits the net there's a team of officials desperately trying to scour through everything that's happened in the lead up to find something to rule it out also sucks. In the old days there was always a risk the flag would go up and the linesman would make a mistake.

I'd take that now over what we have now

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Unfortunately that leads me to get very annoyed about the subjective offside calls, where the VAR team start deciding amongst themselves who might possibly be interfering with play in some way. At that point you are just looking for an excuse to chalk it off, and anyway, wasn't the whole bloody point for it to be objective? Grr
I think that’s a bit of a myth clung to by proponents of VAR. There’s always been uncertainty about offsides, as it was never possible to be 100% sure exactly when a ball leaves a boot, or which of two human shapes moving in opposite directions is closer to the goal line during that moment in time. And all of the above remains the case despite VAR.

A good linesman gets the obvious calls right almost all of the time. The calls that aren’t obvious can go eithe way and that’s fine because nobody expects perfection. But with VAR we demand/expect perfection and it’s obviously not fit for purpose if we set the bar that high. Hence we’re still arguing about offsides every fecking weekend.

Lyng

I agree with your point, but there is definately a difference in how the rivals are perceived. Someone like Greenwood is prime example of this. She has played for Everton, Liverpool, United and Man City and still seems well liked. I have a hard time thinking of male players doing something similar without being absolutely hated by at least one set of fans.

thisisnottaken1

Fascinating, I'm sure.
I hate this as well. It’s funny because nobody ever refers to a goalkeeper as a 1.

didz

Yes and no. Self imposing lines over a freezeframe of a moving image that's highly pixilated that's taken from 70 meters away and deciding that two lines drawn by a couple of middle aged blokes guessing where they go provide enough evidence to rule of goals because - at best - they show someone's hip might possibly be a fraction blury, distantly shot, pixel further forward than a tiny smudge in screen that represents the defenders knee, should absolutely not be called offside.
That's probably fair, but it's the mantra I've adopted as a coping mechanism to something that did initially annoy me, and it works for me.

Onana is a 1.5
Many would agree, with regards to his performances in the CL (he got a 0.5 for the penalty save).

Malons

Players that play mostly for the benefit of their own highlight reel. Thinking of wide players who clearly see the outcome of the attack as secondary to his main focus of how many players he can dummy before he either:
Loses the ball
Runs out of pitch, or
Scores

I get the feeling there's often complete ambivalence from the player as to which of those three the outcomes it is, as long as he gets a good 6 seconds on a few thousand You Tube compilation videos out of it

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Players that play mostly for the benefit of their own highlight reel. Thinking of wide players who clearly see the outcome of the attack as secondary to his main focus of how many players he can dummy before he either:
Loses the ball
Runs out of pitch, or
Scores

I get the feeling there's often complete ambivalence from the player as to which of those three the outcomes it is, as long as he gets a good 6 seconds on a few thousand You Tube compilation videos out of it
I totally get you, but mostly I feel like those players do it more because they just love having the ball and don't want to give it away at all :lol:

Borninthe80ts

If a player isn't world class then they're shit.
100 per cent this. It also goes for people dismissing players who play in leagues other than the premier league and managers failing at one club. Poor form or one failure doesn’t mean someone is washed up. Context needed more.