Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
The death of manager rivalries. Basically, the lack of genuine rivalry amongst teams going for titles.

Superunknown

For me, it's the way lots of modern day fans will support players before teams. The amount of videos you see on YouTube or other social media platforms where there's endless compilations or tributes to these players, with shitty repetitive music played over the top..it's staggering. There's this weird fandom that is utterly obsessed with Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Vinicius Jr that I find really hard to stomach at times. I think we're going to see more and more fans slip in this direction as time goes by. Social media is also making this worse with the amount of coverage these guys get, and then there's the reaction videos, the interactions, etc. It's becoming less and less about what is happening for those 90 minutes when two teams take it to the field.

I would also say the over-analysis that can be done at half time or full time, too. It feels like there's 5 hours or so that gets dedicated to a match, and the game is only a very, very small part of it. Every little thing gets blown up and has a subtext to it. It's a lot more humbling when you're actually at a stadium and you can't hear any commentary, or any half time analysis or endless replays over incidents. For me, that's the purest form of the game.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Players being shitty when a foul is called or a throw in to the other team and throwing the ball away or not directly into the players hands. What’s the point?

68cob

For me, it's the way lots of modern day fans will support players before teams. The amount of videos you see on YouTube or other social media platforms where there's endless compilations or tributes to these players, with shitty repetitive music played over the top..it's staggering.
It might just be that you're only getting more exposure to this because of social media. I first encountered it over twenty years ago and learned it was a thing in mainland Europe for some time.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Obsession with systems now and everybody trying to play like Pep
A very specific variation of this: calling Borussia Dortmund a "system based team". Makes me explode every time I read it and occasionally make a grumpy post about it.

cpresc

When commentators say "the Shearers, the Gerrards, the Keanes" always pluralising the names.. I mean, there's been a few Keanes but it just annoys TF out of me

strandty

Goldbridge. It is funny when he forgets to switch to a burner account though. Case in point.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Goldbridge. It is funny when he forgets to switch to a burner account though. Case in point.
People send me his rants, but I refuse to watch.

Why on earth is anyone who is a United fan wanting to watch him melting down and making terrible puns about how crap we are?

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
The term "he's on a hat trick" when he's on two goals. Doesn't make sense to me.

Chipper

Adulterer.

Don't think he's doing that?

"Not even remotely similar......" looks to be him paraphrasing what others other were saying, with the rest of it being an argument as to why they were the same and why the people he is arguing against are wrong.

He doesn't appear to be disagreeing with himself in order to create a fake argument. Otherwise the second part of the second tweet makes no sense at all.

Oranges038

Probably been mentioned before, but that player lying behind the wall "the draught excluder", absolutely pointless.

Chipper

Adulterer.
For me, it's the way lots of modern day fans will support players before teams. The amount of videos you see on YouTube or other social media platforms where there's endless compilations or tributes to these players, with shitty repetitive music played over the top..it's staggering. There's this weird fandom that is utterly obsessed with Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Vinicius Jr that I find really hard to stomach at times. I think we're going to see more and more fans slip in this direction as time goes by. Social media is also making this worse with the amount of coverage these guys get, and then there's the reaction videos, the interactions, etc. It's becoming less and less about what is happening for those 90 minutes when two teams take it to the field.
I remember watching cricket about 15 years ago and the commentators were saying how people were leaving the stadium after their favourite player was given out and the game on a knife-edge. It was Shahid Afridi of Pakistan. There certainly seemed lots leaving on camera, it was like they cared more about him than the result. Hope it never gets that bad in football! Can you imagine it, 70th minute of United v Liverpool, it's 1-1, a fan favourite is subbed off and 5000 people decide to leave.

Last edited:

Todd

Clubs who wear kits made by companies nobody's ever heard of really bother me, for some reason.

All you had to do was take one look at Sheffield's kits this season, made by some company that's probably headquartered in some guy's garage somewhere, to know that they had no chance of staying up.

Looking at you, too, Palace, Everton, Wolves, Villa, Newcastle...

thisisnottaken1

Clubs who wear kits made by companies nobody's ever heard of really bother me, for some reason.

All you had to do was take one look at Sheffield's kits this season, made by some company that's probably headquartered in some guy's garage somewhere, to know that they had no chance of staying up.

Sponsors don’t make kits. And to be fair, that’s probably a lot of exposure for that small company, which potentially could have saved that company from potential bankruptcy. I’m an anti-capitalist, but still.

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
When commentators say "the Shearers, the Gerrards, the Keanes" always pluralising the names.. I mean, there's been a few Keanes but it just annoys TF out of me
It's particularly stupid, because as you say there are a few keanes etc but the person saying this is usually specifically not including those "Keanes" ," gerrards" etc as they aren't the same level of player as the well known Keane and Gerrard

Chipper

Adulterer.

Just looked up some of these as I didn't even know who made them. At least I learned something tonight even if it is useless to me!

I'll speak up a little bit for Errea (Sheffield United), as Wikipedia tells me they made Middlesbrough's all the way back in 1994. Without looking, I can actually picture one of them. Sponsored by Cellnet, a classic from when Juninho and Ravanelli were there!

Castore though, fair enough. A newish venture, started by two brothers. Amazing how fast they've progressed.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
“It’s scoreless, but we should have been 5-0 up by now”

Reality: if first chance went in, the next 4 chances will never happen.

chomsky89

How often you hear about the useless "big chances missed stat". it should at least be % of the total chances to have any value. it is just an indicator of how often certain strikers get big chances due to a combination of their movement and team quality. But the media and some fans use it as an indication of how good the striker has been.