Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

Dike_Manc

Cameras cutting to managers and players on the sideline for no good reason while play goes on. Gets me properly riled up.

jem

Not really football so much as the reporting on football: the style of headline found online, saying something along the lines of Ten Haag told he must sell this player. You open the article (more fool me) and realize that it's a cretin like Agbonlahor, someone whose existence ETH would likely be oblivious of, making some moronic claim.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Cameras cutting to managers and players on the sideline for no good reason while play goes on. Gets me properly riled up.
Drives me up the fecking wall. Rashford did some outrageous skill on the endline against Arsenal. Did we see a single replay? Oh no. Did we get at least a dozen shots of Arteta poncing around on the sideline? Oh yes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not really football so much as the reporting on football: the style of headline found online, saying something along the lines of Ten Haag told he must sell this player. You open the article (more fool me) and realize that it's a cretin like Agbonlahor, someone whose existence ETH would likely be oblivious of, making some moronic claim.
Clickbait tactics. A problem that goes beyond football. Annoying as feck though. I agree.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Doesn't really answer the question for me. A "natural step" leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Which leads to controversial decisions, which we have enough of in the game as it stands, in my opinion.

It's also called a penalty for a reason. There's supposed to be consequences for committing a foul inside your own box.
Nah, it's quite easy.

spe88

Net spend tables.

Whilst we’ve been incredibly sh*t at it for a while, it’s kind of pointless when it doesn’t consider agent fees and inflation.

Nicolarra90

The lack of objectiveness in fans.
People think like there's going to be consequences or you are going to disappoint your club if you assume one bad decision favoured you.

Dwight Corke

The port city of Livorno is called "Leghorn" in English for some reason.
English names for Italian locations are usually derived from Latin or the local language/dialect of the region.

Padova - Padua comes from the Ventian form Padoa

Livorno - Leghorn comes from Genoese form Ligorna

Firenze - Latin Florentia became Florence in English

Taurinium (Latin) became Torino in Italian and Turin in English while the name of province Piedmont (Piemonte) is from Old French.

Reactions: Jippy

jem

Clickbait tactics. A problem that goes beyond football. Annoying as feck though. I agree.
Agreed - I guess it's the wording that particularly grates - 'ETH told...' To be told, he needs to actually be listening, and who the feck would ever listen to someone like Agbonlahor?

Giggs' right foot

Huddles. My country's national team does them every fecking game with staff and all and it's so forced and painfully unauthentic. You are heading for the fecking dressing room in a sec, why the need to twerk for the media?

Dominos

The funny thing is every time we have the ball and the camera cuts away for a close-up of something irrelevant, when the camera comes back onto the actual match the opposition now has possession of the ball and we have no idea how it happened.

What's even more infuriating is when you can hear the crowd reacting to incidents in the game and we can't see what's going on.

Dominos

To add to that.

If you're ever watching a stream on a 3pm Saturday game, they'll often cut to other matches to show you goals/other incidents whilst the game you're meant to be watching is minimised to a tiny box in the corner. If I wanted to see what's happening in Burnley vs Villa, I would watch that game, I don't need to see what's happening in other games whilst I'm trying to watch United.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Keepers being mandated to stay on their line during a pen. Joke.
They could probably move the penalty spot back a yard or even two at this point.

Or as a shit halfway house, ensure the centre of the ball is on the centre of the spot forwards/backwards. A shift left or right would be acceptable to account for dickheads Fcuking up the spot.

Penalties are far too easy now. 1-10% of the time it feels fair that a 75% chance of a goal is awarded. Most of the time its way too harsh a punishment.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The game is all about interpretation. The game wasn't worse ten years ago when this penalty rule wasn't in place. We didn't have a 10% conversion rate.
The ball is now a ball-width closer.

The ref has a spray.

Spraying a line a foot in front of the goal line to allow a little movement and spring would sort most of this shit out.

Penalties are almost always way too big a penalty nowadays.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Players rolling around clutching their face when the replay shows they it was minimal contact.

neon_badger

Podcasts that don't even attempt to show a balanced view of an incident and instead blatantly project what they want to see , example the Arsenal fan claiming Ten Hag has lost control for publicly shaming Sancho, when it's clearly a demonstration of control. It's weird, three blokes talking to about 20 followers on tictok and supportively encouraging each others imaginary scenarios.

Eric_the_Red99

Last night’s Scotland game reminded me how much I hate that John McGinn goal celebration. I mean, what the feck is that? You’re a grown man, mate, stop acting like a 7 year old pretending to be Batman.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Rory Jennings, try to avoid his squirmy little fecking voice and he appears everywhere. Feck off

IRN-BRUno

Double substitutions that are the wrong way round, such as a midfielder replacing the striker and vice versa.

Oranges038

Players rolling around clutching their face when the replay shows they it was minimal contact.
That Argentina fellow Montiel throwing himself to the ground holding his face everytime a player runs past him.

Jordi Cruyff 99

Great thread.

Referring to some players by their first names is an odd one. For example, the vast majority of the forum refer to Fernandes as "Bruno". I'm not buying that it's quicker, when it takes milliseconds longer to type Fernandes, and when members have thousands of posts and write essays daily; you're hardly concerned about time.

Micah Richards. He's awful. He's just there for reasons relating to corporate diversity and for soundbites that appeal to people with very low intelligence. How can anybody enjoy listening to him screaming and laughing like that? It's horrendous. The production loses its prestige when you have these tinpot so-called pundits.

Jamie O'Hara and Jason Cundy presenting that Talksport programme. They're like two children. Manchild was a term invented for men like that.

People referring to "top, top players". Isn't top the highst level? Is a "top, top, top player" better than a "top, top player"? Where does it end? Similar to that is people using arbitrarily, or undefined terms like "elite" and what not.

Football goal celebrations, especially the ones that people try to brand as their own. Doing that loveheart thing with your hands, Rashford doing that thing with the pointing to his head, Michu with that volume thing, and so on.

The usual football clichés like "different class".

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
English names for Italian locations are usually derived from Latin or the local language/dialect of the region.

Padova - Padua comes from the Ventian form Padoa

Livorno - Leghorn comes from Genoese form Ligorna

Firenze - Latin Florentia became Florence in English

Taurinium (Latin) became Torino in Italian and Turin in English while the name of province Piedmont (Piemonte) is from Old French.
Thank you, I've wondered about this since forever

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
People referring to "top, top players". Isn't top the highst level? Is a "top, top, top player" better than a "top, top player"? Where does it end? Similar to that is people using arbitrarily, or undefined terms like "elite" and what not.
I'd assumed this came from Ferguson's book where he famously said Steven Gerrard wasn't a "top, top player". It might predate that or have happened independently though.

Jordi Cruyff 99

I'd assumed this came from Ferguson's book where he famously said Steven Gerrard wasn't a "top, top player". It might predate that or have happened independently though.
I'm not sure what book you're referring to but must be one of the books after he retired. If it is, it predates that by decades. Ferguson was just another person who used it.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
Pundits with short memories. Some daft Irish pundit said today was a new low for us. Its not even a new low for this year.

It's "unreasonably" annoyed.
I think it might happen cos they're put on the spot and under pressure, but it's really annoying.

Melbourne Red

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not sure what book you're referring to but must be one of the books after he retired. If it is, it predates that by decades. Ferguson was just another person who used it.
Yeah it's one that came out in about 2013, but fair enough if it's been around for decades. I haven't seen it used but I live far away.