Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

stw2022

Match of the Day commentators that so obviously re-do elements of their live commentary after the match to make them look like some kind of genuis foreshadower.

"It's been more than 18 months since they last conceded a penalty at home and they've not had a player sent off here in over three seasons..."

We all know what's about to happen then

stevoc

Same with “denied by the woodwork”. The posts didn’t move mate you just missed the target. It’s like saying you were denied from getting home because you drove into a tree.
:lol:

Yeah another football cliche that's dumb as feck.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You could apply the same to the Scottish League, a lot of EPL fans will open news articles to comment on how they don't like it and their perceived quality of it. Isn't that similar?
To be honest that must be a british thing, if true, to wind you up maybe. Outside england I would guess nobody really cares, so that sounds more like a local rivalry thing than something that actually happens in general.

Jeffthered

Poor punditry. If you work in TV, you should be expected to speak well. That does not mean posh, upper-class etc, not at all (I am certainly not any of these...). But speak well, and communicate well. Take a course if need be.

Too many involved in football punditry seem to have no interest in being able to actually speak well. That shouldn't be a 'bonus'. Claridge, Hartson, Sutton, Earle, Linekar, Murphy, Cascarino, Neville, Savage, Carra... all speak well, have some banter etc. But some others are just awful. It annoys me.

Spaghetti

Mom's
The weird bit is that formula 1 fans don't open formula e news articles to comment how they don't like it. A lot of people who don't like women's football make sure to go out of their way to make it clear they don't like it.
Formula E fans probably don’t try to force their sport on F1 fans. The poster was right, that “not being interested in women’s football” is translated by some as being sexist.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Match of the Day commentators that so obviously re-do elements of their live commentary after the match to make them look like some kind of genuis foreshadower.

"It's been more than 18 months since they last conceded a penalty at home and they've not had a player sent off here in over three seasons..."

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Formula E fans probably don’t try to force their sport on F1 fans. The poster was right, that “not being interested in women’s football” is translated by some as being sexist.
Can you give examples of women's football being forced on anyone?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Haha, how the feck is women’s football being ”forced” on any football fans? :lol:

Redstain

VAR and all the extra time etc it's adding on to games. Should be a quick thorough process for the panelists to review in incidents / infringements but instead it's a circus.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
United fans calling the scousers, Pool.

People calling Sheff U just Sheffield and Forest just Nottingham.

The new added time, especially when I'm at the game. I am usually back in my house for the Saturday half five game right on the dot when we have a 3pm game. That's out the window now.

Any attempted changes to the World Cup. Stop ruining the greatest competition on earth ffs.

SAFMUTD

Wasting time tactics specially the one where they get a corner and just put the ball there and use their body to protect it. Haaland does it really often just try to get a rebound off the opposition and celebrate like they just scored.

Just fecking play pass the ball around or something fecking cheaters.

Olmer

In my native language some commentators often say that the pass is "not precise" everytime it doesn't reach the target.
This is irritating because often it has nothing to do with the pass itself, but with the movement of the receiver who didn't pick up the passer's intent fast enough (or the other way around). Or the pass was read and intercepted. But commentator lazily calls it "not precise" implying that it's always the passer's fault and that he was careless.

Herman Toothrot

VAR and all the extra time etc it's adding on to games. Should be a quick thorough process for the panelists to review in incidents / infringements but instead it's a circus.
Is there a reason that there is so much time at the end of matches and not at half-time? I'm sure it's been covered but not been in the football forums much recently. I don't see how it can consistently be less than three minutes in the first half and more than ten at the end.

90 + 5min

Us being blamed for everything when truth is opposite. Us having other ”rules” than other teams. Us being victims of ABUism .

Chief123

I actually think they do say it live but highlights programs like Match of The Day use snippets which are relevant to the game.

Because the commentary used is often commentary that is used live on foreign channels.

It must be super annoying for those that watch MOTD without knowing the results though. Because you know whatever they mention is 100% going to happen. Like on the weekend when the commentator mentioned Awoyini has scored in 6 league games in a row and looking to keep the run going!

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Players wearing their first name on the back of their shirt. Should only be allowed for Brazilians or if you have an unfortunate last name like Savile or Smallbone.

Nicolarra90

That and Napoli being described as "Naples". I haven't seen it on here lately, but about a year ago there were several posters calling them Naples :nervous:
There's this weird thing about Italian cities, where every other language has a way to call them but the correct Italian way.
Weirdest case Is Firenze to Florencia (don't know have it's called in English but I assume is closer to Florencia than Firenze)

zaafi

There's this weird thing about Italian cities, where every other language has a way to call them but the correct Italian way.
Weirdest case Is Firenze to Florencia (don't know have it's called in English but I assume is closer to Florencia than Firenze)
In Norwegian they're called the same as in Italian, no idea why English are so obsessed with changing the cities' names.

Plastic Evra

I suspect the French (?) transliteration accounts for a lot of the conventions surrounding Italian cities.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Fans of any club who genuinely believe that their club is the one that is actually being discriminated against by refs or the media.

stevoc

United fans calling the scousers, Pool.

People calling Sheff U just Sheffield and Forest just Nottingham.

The new added time, especially when I'm at the game. I am usually back in my house for the Saturday half five game right on the dot when we have a 3pm game. That's out the window now.

Any attempted changes to the World Cup. Stop ruining the greatest competition on earth ffs.
Does anyone actually call them Sheff U?

stevoc

Fans of any club who genuinely believe that their club is the one that is actually being discriminated against by refs or the media.
Indeed, everyone knows theres only one clubs who regularly get s rough treatment from officials.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Does anyone actually call them Sheff U?
Yes. A simple Sheff U or Sheff W would suffice.

You wouldn't call United or City just Manchester. Or Celtic or Rangers just Glasgow.

It's outrageous and enough to get unreasonably annoyed about.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Did anyone ever get to the bottom as to why the English called Sporting clube de Portugal, Sporting Lisbon for so many years?

stw2022

Did anyone ever get to the bottom as to why the English called Sporting clube de Portugal, Sporting Lisbon for so many years?
Because calling them Sporting Portugal would have made them sound like the national Olympics association?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
In Norwegian they're called the same as in Italian, no idea why English are so obsessed with changing the cities' names.
The english calling Porto Oporto is a pet peeve of mine. I mean, why?

stevoc

Yes. A simple Sheff U or Sheff W would suffice.

You wouldn't call United or City just Manchester. Or Celtic or Rangers just Glasgow.

It's outrageous and enough to get unreasonably annoyed about.
Can't say I've ever heard anyone call either of those teams just Sheff U or W.

Personally any other club called United I just refer to them as the first part of their name. Newcastle, Leeds, West Ham etc. never United.

Redstain

Is there a reason that there is so much time at the end of matches and not at half-time? I'm sure it's been covered but not been in the football forums much recently. I don't see how it can consistently be less than three minutes in the first half and more than ten at the end.
Wreaks or mismanagement by those with responsibility over it. Think it's a guarantee to expect no less than 7 added mins per game.

sugar_kane

Sticking to the commentary theme...

1. Player shoots towards an open goal from 6 yards out and somehow puts the ball into row Z
2. Linesman's flag goes up
3. Commentator "oh the linesman has spared his blushes there"

No, he literally still managed to fecking miss an open goal in front of 70,000 people whether it would have counted or not.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Can't say I've ever heard anyone call either of those teams just Sheff U or W.

Personally any other club called United I just refer to them as the first part of their name. Newcastle, Leeds, West Ham etc. never United.
I meant typed. I wouldn't say Sheff W, that would also be ridiculous

Sea-Cow

The announcers refusing to change their mind even when shown a replay that clearly invalidates their earlier opinion.

It makes me so angry. Some moron announcer will say, welp thats a dive! Then they see the replay and there is obvious contact, obvious to everyone with eyes that it wasn't a dive. But.... the announcer will say something insane like, "ahh still think it was a dive."

stw2022

When something is being checked for offside and the lines are drawn on screen and you notice the one of the lines has just turned green, which means it's onside. It's on screen and obvious. Yet the commentators - whose feed we're watching - still take about 10 to 15 seconds to find out the decision. They're literally commenting on the same still image with a ruddy great green line saying things like "it's going to be a close one"