Things about football that get you unreasonably annoyed…

michael joyce

I find the overall environment of punditry in football to be horrible a lot of the time. You’ve got the cliche-ridden drivel on mainstream media that you could play bingo for every live coverage of a game and see how many generic terms get uttered by your stereotypical ex-pro.

And then on the other end of the spectrum, you’ve got those stereotypical smug, bespectacled neckbeard hipsters who talk nothing but xG and xA, as they wear some fecking retro shirt of River Plate and probably never played a game of football as a kid.

Is it too hard to find some middle ground between Billy Ex-Pro yelling ‘PASHUN UN DEESAIUH’ every 5 minutes and Hugo Hipster smugly saying ‘Well I’ve always liked Atalanta before they made it into Europe’ as he sips his latte and sneers into the camera.
Fully agree with this. Most co commentators tend to love the sound of their own voice are just fitting their narrative around the outcome of a game or circumstance, instead of providing any decent in depth analysis. They also love to overrate the underrated in an attempt to sound clever. In my opinion co commentators should rarely speak and only to provide value/analysis that is not obviously noticeable to the viewers.

I try to avoid Robbie Savage where possible

Plastic Evra

That and Napoli being described as "Naples". I haven't seen it on here lately, but about a year ago there were several posters calling them Naples :nervous:
I'm sorry to inform you I might be one of those but I have an excuse for it...

stw2022

The insinuation that not caring about the Women's World Cup has undertones of misogyny.

I watch Formula 1, I don't watch Formula E. Mother likes EastEnders, she doesn't watch Emmerdale. I'll watch the singles finals of Wimbledon, but I'm probably not going to go watch any of the mixed doubles. I like rock music, but I'm not obliged to like every fecking song.

stw2022

That journalist with a slightly raspy voice at our press conferences to introduce new signings who always seems to get the first question. He only ever seems to ask a variation of the same thing:

"How do you feel to be here and do you think we're massive?"

Oranges038

This thing on corners where the players make such an effort to make sure the ball is just about overhanging the line. Only to end up taking a shit corner.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Pretentious big clubs refusing to buy central midfielders.

kanobbk

When players that are being paid obscene amounts of money spend 90 seconds stood in front of the ball before a freekick, covering their mouth talking to another player about "what they're going to do" and then proceed to either drill it mid-low into the middle of the wall or completely duff it out for a goal kick. The same goes for corners or any other deadball situation tbh.

These players have been kicking a ball since they were under the age of 10 and they train 6 times a week for hours upon hours, kicked 100's of thousands of balls if not into the millions, they're paid an obscene wage and they cannot clear a wall and/or clear the first man from a corner kick. It is quite honestly one of the most infuriating things I can ever witness when watching a football match. It is literally one of the most basic things in football, which is kicking a ball. If you cannot clear the first man from a corner then I have no idea what you're doing. If anyone else made a similar basic mistake at our day jobs we wouldn't have a job anymore. Think of the most basic thing you do at your job day in day out, and then imagine yourself completely messing it up 1 in 8 times. That is the equivalent of footballers not clearing the first man and/or wall!

RoyH1

Short corners that end up in passing the ball back to the keeper because no one was open. I completely lose my composure when that happens.

whitbyviking

When commentators are blatantly wrong, often proved by the TV replay, but double down on being wrong by either ignoring it or trying to justify it. Just accept you were wrong.

NLunited

And over the top biased fans
Yep. Last Saturday’s penalty call: both commentators said it was never a penalty, even though the defender blocked Garnacho’s shot with both arms stretched out.

If it happens on the other side it will be 100% a penalty, even if it comes off the body first.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yep. Last Saturday’s penalty call: both commentators said it was never a penalty, even though the defender blocked Garnacho’s shot with both arms stretched out.

If it happens on the other side it will be 100% a penalty, even if it comes off the body first.
I thought it was a penalty but I can understand why it might not be given, I thought the Onana one was as well

But this obsession that refs are all ABU's is just plain pathetic

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
People willing to kill each other over a football team that doesnt care about them. I mean i watch all of uniteds games but if we dont win its not the end of the world.

Plastic Evra

People who still call the premier league the premiership. It’s been like ten years ffs.
I'll say Premier League followed by Championship followed by League One does trigger some OCD. At least Premiership is consistent with the name of the second tier.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Overly tribal supporting.

The MG thing and some of the comments on twitter randomly reminded me of when a large percentage of Liverpool supporters decided to become pro racism because one of their players got caught being a racist. As if this is somehow a reasonable length to take your support of a football team to.

Plus the whole thing of using chants to mock dead people then acting enraged when the fans it's aimed at do a similar thing back. "Ultras"....that horrible LOTR section of the Crystal Palace home support, etc. People who have those coats with 500 badges on them.

It actually doesn't unreasonably annoy me I just find it really baffling how people can't manage supporting a football team and being a grown up at the same time.

Loon

:lol:
People who think football started in 1993. Especially to skew “records”

always_hoping

Yep like the Alan Shearer top scoring record they were going on about when Kane left for Germany, any such record is top flight and held by Jimmy Greaves

Tyrion

I thought it was a penalty but I can understand why it might not be given, I thought the Onana one was as well

But this obsession that refs are all ABU's is just plain pathetic
Anyone who thinks the referees have a club bias is being ridiculous. Refs have their own shit to worry about and don't care about Brightons push for a Europa League place.

People willing to kill each other over a football team that doesnt care about them. I mean i watch all of uniteds games but if we dont win its not the end of the world.
Yep. Everytime I see a fan jumping up and down swearing at a complete stranger just because he plays for the other team, I roll my eyes in embarrassment.

And the Carling Cup - that's 11 years and counting
I just call it the league cup so I don't have to keep up with the constant sponsorship changes. That and I hate naming rights. If I had my way, we'd all just ignore naming deals for stadiums and use the old names.

I did find it funny that Kane might have stayed to take Alan Shearers "record" of being about English league footballs 4th highest scorer. Sky do it for branding but Shearer seems to actually believe his record matters.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The insinuation that not caring about the Women's World Cup has undertones of misogyny.

I watch Formula 1, I don't watch Formula E. Mother likes EastEnders, she doesn't watch Emmerdale. I'll watch the singles finals of Wimbledon, but I'm probably not going to go watch any of the mixed doubles. I like rock music, but I'm not obliged to like every fecking song.
The weird bit is that formula 1 fans don't open formula e news articles to comment how they don't like it. A lot of people who don't like women's football make sure to go out of their way to make it clear they don't like it.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Our corners. I'm happy if we hit a shot wide or it goes for a throw in. The reason for that is it's far more likely that a team will counter attack and score against us than us actually scoring from a corner.

It's always been a problem but since Ten Hag, it's ridiculous. What are they doing in training?

Krny

Supports
Celtic Football Club
The weird bit is that formula 1 fans don't open formula e news articles to comment how they don't like it. A lot of people who don't like women's football make sure to go out of their way to make it clear they don't like it.
You could apply the same to the Scottish League, a lot of EPL fans will open news articles to comment on how they don't like it and their perceived quality of it. Isn't that similar?

stevoc

The phrase ''He beat the keeper but not the post''.

Well yeah if you hit a shot off target you are likely to beat the keeper, hit the corner flag and you've also beat the keeper by that logic.

A shot has to be on target and actually going in before we can know if it is beating the keeper.

J2J

The phrase ''He beat the keeper but not the post''.

Well yeah if you hit a shot off target you are likely to beat the keeper, hit the corner flag and you've also beat the keeper by that logic.

A shot has to be on target and actually going in before we can know if it is beating the keeper.
Same with “denied by the woodwork”. The posts didn’t move mate you just missed the target. It’s like saying you were denied from getting home because you drove into a tree.

Anustart89

“The game ended scoreless, but we should have won the game 5-0”

Nonesense,

If only the next 4 chances would still happen exactly the same way if the first goal went it. They won’t.
Quoting an old post but this one is always of interest , as people seem to think that if Alexander-Arnold had been sent off in the beginning of the game against Newcastle, he still would've been able to make the mistake that led to Newcastle's 1-0 and van Dijk would definitely have been sent off too, so if the ref had made the right decision to send him off Liverpool would've been 1-0 down and down to nine men!

flappyjay

Staff and players with their initials on all the crap they wear. If ya can't keep track on your gear than feck off.
I thought that was to make it easier for those washing the kits. Easier to sort them when you know who they belong to.