Things that should be in football but are not currently in football

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
I was thinking about this, obviously I have had many genius ideas in the past (Warm up rooms with goals/bikes to warm up, 10 person teams, bigger goalposts, rubber goalposts, rooftop hanging seating, circular corners to the pitch) but what I really want to know are things from other sports that could work in football.

Things such as Hawk Eye, a sin bin maybe, coaches being allowed to walk onto the pitch, players wearing earpieces to talk to their manager, a referee at the side of the pitch on a really tall chair(Tennis style), but I think the best thing would be to make throw ins have no rules. (You can toss it underhand etc)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Balls loaded into some kind of cannon in multiple places around the advertising boards, say about 6 across the length of the pitch each side and one either side of the goals on the byline.

when the ball goes out of play the nearest cannon instantly fires a ball back in to play at random heights and angles, so basically there is always a ball in play.

will speed the game up and stop time wasting at throwings / goal kicks.

tomaldinho1

Sorry shouldn’t derail a good thread OP. I think players should have a foul count, tracked by Hawkeye/VAR so once you commit a certain number you get a yellow, then red.

I don’t like that the ref can decide when to give a yellow for tactical fouls, certain players I.e. Fernandinho, Fabinho, Thiago will genuinely get away with about 5 before they get a card whereas sometimes random players get straight yellows for a shirt pull.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Short corners like in field hockey for minor fouls in the box. That way you don't get penalties for every ridiculous handball or slight touch but more importantly, I would love to see 5 defenders scrambling out from the goal line while someone wrecks it from the 16 yard line.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
My suggestions are more media based. Sky and BT providing an option for no commentary and unfiltered crowd noise. I am tired of crap commentary and them apologising everytime after one of the mic picks up a bad word.

Also an option for one camera on the half way line and nothing else. They are able to do it for red button Championship games. Why can't they allow us the freedom to watch the Premier League matches instead of having to endure endless replays of "good play" or them playing spot the celebrity in the crowd. Countless times I can hear the crowd indicate something is happening and we are stuck on replays...

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Put the ball inside the quadrant on a corner kick. Players trying to hang it outside on the last piece of painted grass just grinds my gears.

diarm

VAR needs to be replaced with a challenge based system. Forget giving power to a couple of idiots who weren't good enough to be real referees, sat in a portacabin in Stockley Park. Give either coaches or captains a challenge each per half and when they invoke it, the ref goes over to the screen and has access to every replay and angle available. Give him controls like the lads in the studio have to be able to flick between views, slow or speed things down/up etc.

If your challenge is upheld, you keep it but if you're wrong, tough titties and it's gone. It would immediately solve the overuse of VAR problem, it would solve the issue of officials being afraid to point out their colleagues mistakes, or influence their decision by sending them to look at the screen while at the same time, adding a drama to decision making under pressure.

Dinghy

Touching the ball if the play has stopped and the other team has been given a free-kick/throw-in not allowed.

Standing still, shielding the ball down the corner flag not allowed.

Passing it around at the back with no intention to bring the ball forward not allowed (30 sec time limit).

10 seconds to get the feck off the pitch when being subbed, failure results in the team going a man down. Player injured = clock stops

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Clock stopping when the ball goes out of play.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Refs mic'd up. Just like rugby where you can hear them talking to other officials and players.

lawliet354

• Kick-in instead of throw-in
  • Actual time-keeper for goalkeeper when they hold the ball
  • Ref having mic so audience can hear the conversation
  • Second penalty spot if a team makes more than X foul so players like Fernandinho cannot get away with it
  • 1 time-out per game just to reorganize in case of something goes horribly wrong

lex talionis

A decent thread. I’d love to see the following:

A no-commentary option on the telly where all you hear is the crowd and whatever from the pitch. I’ve heard it in the past (die to a malfunction) and it’s a revelation.

A 15 minute sin bin, because sometimes a second yellow card is too harsh.

A 12 yard distance between the ball and the wall. It would make a significant difference.

RoyH1

Refs mic'd up. Just like rugby where you can hear them talking to other officials and players.
This, so much this. 90% of complaining and bitchin' at the ref would disappear if players could be heard. It would also make the refs job much easier because we could follow his train of thought live and would be able to tell when it is him and when it is VAR that decides something.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Goals replaced by 10 pins. Points awarded accordingly with up to three keepers allowed and 2 balls in play at once. A complete farce, but surely entertaining.

Eurotrash

I'd like to see a form of penalty in the style of Ice Hockey. Start from outside the penalty area and go one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
- Actual punishment for players attempts for diving/cheating/timewasting.
- Stop clock in football, 35 minuten per half of clear game time.
- Actual punishment for players who continously harass referees

Lynty

In all seriousness.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a 7 a side senior league to extend players careers. Seems like it's untapped money for FIFA/UEFA and would do wonders for the mental health of sportsmen who's careers end very early.

Set number of franchised teams, minimum age criteria, draft picks retiring players. It could be sold as a very profitable exhibition style league.

Chief123

- They might have this already for management purposes. But small trackers on players so you can see where each player is located at any given time. You can highlight which players are ending up in random positions and not keeping their shape.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Technical goal (to avoid such bullshit as Suarez saving a clear goal, then Ghana missing the given penalty in the last minute)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The fact they’re not is 100% down to referees not wanting to be under scrutiny for how they manage games.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Zero tolerance time wasting policy. But I can only see that happening by stopping the clock. Currently there is an allowable limit, and players are only punished if they take time wasting too far. Even then, it's wildly inconsistent. Matic got booked for it vs Atalanta, and it was nothing compared to what goalkeepers do with goal kicks when trying to hold on to a scoreline.

Also, bring back the multi-ball system that was in play during covid, and has always been in play in the Champions League.

Whatever happened to that panel that reviewed dives from the last round of games and then retrospectively punished? There was 1 or 2, and then it vanished. Diving seems more accepted than ever now. Dives will be hard to spot in real time for referees, and you don't want VAR stopping the game for every dive. Just look at it retrospectively, and punish accordingly, but something more heavy handed than a booking. 1 game ban for your 1st dive in a season, 2 game ban for your 2nd, and so on.

The White Pele

Refs microphoned and more transparency around decision making.

Stopping the clock rather than adding on additional time.

A more exciting secondary competition/ reserve league potentially with a different format e.g shorter matches, penalties to decide draws. It would be a way to give the young players a more meaningful competition and also for senior players to continue their careers at big clubs in their later years. Cricket has Twenty20 to attract a different crowd so this could be similar. Offer tickets to schools, allow alcohol and create an atmosphere where the result is not as important but it’s more about the enjoyment of football.

Oranges038

Punishing defenders for diving when they throw themselves to the ground under any little bit of pressure at the back.

Eric_the_Red99

Corner patrol zones with giant deadly robots like in Robot Wars, with flame throwers and chainsaw arms to attack any players within range. At least it would stop some of the time wasting at the end of matches.

Oranges038

In all seriousness.

I'm surprised we haven't seen a 7 a side senior league to extend players careers. Seems like it's untapped money for FIFA/UEFA and would do wonders for the mental health of sportsmen who's careers end very early.

Set number of franchised teams, minimum age criteria, draft picks retiring players. It could be sold as a very profitable exhibition style league.
There was the 6 aside masters football on Sky during the 2000s until around maybe 2010. It was brilliant to watch at times, think it stopped because there wasn't a whole pile of money being made to pay the players.

Lynty

There was the 6 aside masters football on Sky during the 2000s until around maybe 2010. It was brilliant to watch at times, think it stopped because there wasn't a whole pile of money being made to pay the players.
Oh really?

I didn't have sky back then so wouldn't have heard of it. Shame that is.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
15 seconds to get the ball back in play. If you don’t, you lose possession.

Throw ins become swift as nobody is given time to fanny aroundand reset.

Corners would be absolute carnage.

Free kicks in the final third you get a full 60 seconds. Anyone that hasn’t retreated 10 yards in 15 seconds gets a yellow.

padzilla

Hipster
The ball doesn't go out of play if it doesn't touch the ground or the stands when over the white lines, allowing players to curl crosses in or make passes easier.

Also players obstructing the ball and blocking attacking players with their bodies to let it go out of play should be booked - the attacking player should not be punished.

padzilla

Hipster
Any player who looks to be injured must go off for a 10 minute temporary substitution - would greatly reduce the ridiculous play acting.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
I agree mate, the rugby system is proven and provides great clarity to everyone, but football officials are bent and need to be opaque in the actions so that we can’t pin the cheating on them.