Things you love about modern football

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We have a thread about everything you hate so let's spread a little bit of joy... :)

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Things I 'love' about modern football...

Nothing.

Things I 'like' about modern football...

1. Access to certain information...
2. I can watch more on TV if I want...
3. Going to the game and feeling the anticipation around the ground is amazing as ever...
4. Stadiums are better in terms of facilities overall...
5. Lack of hooliganism...

There's probably more things about modern football that make me dislike it...

Corruption, TV Money, players rarely engage with fans, social media hype, most of the new rules in the game, VAR, the lack of decent punditry, poor commentators/interviewers, newspaper sensationalism/reporting, match scheduling, behind closed doors friendlies, access to information, prices of tickets, FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley, the FA constantly changing the structure of the game, players diving, xg and other irrelevant stats, modern stadia with no atmosphere, so called supporters hating their own players, transfer deadline day, on-line bullying and general keyboard warrior behaviour, lack of match day transport, half and half scarves, size of the match day programme, constant moaning about refereeing decisions, Fan Cams...there's probably loads more.

But in spite of all the downside the feeling of seeing your team win is worth it.

It's been that way since football support began.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I like that teams want goals and are rabid in pursuit of them.

Defences and defending in general have completely tanked because of it, but it's a curious affair to watch fire meet fire in the way we see these days.

Paul_Scholes18

That there is so many games to watch. With so many options too.
Also the European cups are great!

Chief123

1. Easy access to any game I want to watch
2. More interaction with players via social media
3. Watch alongs when you can watch Arsenal live while watching AFTV meltdowns at the same time. Often more fun than the game.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
Being less of a hooligan sport. Less physical contact. Its not the 50's anymore. Masculinity is over. Technique over muscles, any day. I encourage any player to dives with the slightest touch. Fouling is a admission of being beaten technically or tactically.

Robertd0803

Being able to access highlights within 15 mins of a game ending and it cuts out having to wait until a highlights programme with poor commentary and outdated idiotic analysis from idiotic pundits.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Basically everything you'd want to watch in on TV
VAR

Suedesi

Things I 'love' about modern football...

Nothing.

Things I 'like' about modern football...

1. Access to certain information...
2. I can watch more on TV if I want...
3. Going to the game and feeling the anticipation around the ground is amazing as ever...
4. Stadiums are better in terms of facilities overall...
5. Lack of hooliganism...

There's probably more things about modern football that make me dislike it...

Corruption, TV Money, players rarely engage with fans, social media hype, most of the new rules in the game, VAR, the lack of decent punditry, poor commentators/interviewers, newspaper sensationalism/reporting, match scheduling, behind closed doors friendlies, access to information, prices of tickets, FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley, the FA constantly changing the structure of the game, players diving, xg and other irrelevant stats, modern stadia with no atmosphere, so called supporters hating their own players, transfer deadline day, on-line bullying and general keyboard warrior behaviour, lack of match day transport, half and half scarves, size of the match day programme, constant moaning about refereeing decisions, Fan Cams...there's probably loads more.

But in spite of all the downside the feeling of seeing your team win is worth it.

It's been that way since football support began.
Pretty good list, I'd add the constant Messi/Ronaldo fanboyish debates, pundits' liberally branding individual players "best in the world" in a collective sport, fans following a player rather a club and over sensationalism fed by the media to drive clicks / engagement.

Oh and "generational talent" used for approximately 657 new players a month and "GOAT" used for anyone other than Diego Maradona or Pele'.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The advance of tactics (when used for stuff like attacking and the hig press), stats, VAR (when used right).

Bring on the hate. :cool:

And yes, also the accessibility of it online and on tv, and reduced hooliganism.

Pretty good list, I'd add the constant Messi/Ronaldo fanboyish debates, pundits' liberally branding individual players "best in the world" in a collective sport, fans following a player rather a club and over sensationalism fed by the media to drive clicks / engagement.

Oh and "generational talent" used for approximately 657 new players a month and "GOAT" used for anyone other than Diego Maradona or Pele'.
Maybe not exactly the joy @SilentWitness mentioned in the OP... :lol:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
  • Definitely as many have mentioned the ability to watch any game anywhere in the world. Also being able to watch football 24 hours a day if I want to (though I have to wait for the wife and kids to go away to do that)
  • Quality of the stadiums now, I remember as a teen standing in the pouring rain at the Goldstone losing to Tranmere as one of the most miserable afternoons ever, we were in the North stand which was covered but leaked horrendously, the East stand was closed to the public as it was in danger of collapsing!
  • Quality of the pitches, they used to be wrecked by October and covered in sand by December and general mud baths after that, the quality of the football followed.
  • The quality of the players and managers attracted to UK football now from all over the world.
  • And again as many have said the death of hooliganism.

I miss being able to go down to the Red Lion inn in Shoreham on a Saturday evening knowing most of the Brighton squad would be in there having a pint!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That you can have a global pandemic, and still get every premier league game live.
That ifollow came in and started showing my lower league teams on midweekers.

The pace, colours, glamour of it all. If I try and watch a game from 30 years or more ago now, it looks so criminally dull and slow.