Thinking the unthinkable : Winning the League next season - It's alright, we're on

ruskyline

My mate David Boreanaz goes on and on and on about the Seals every single time we meet up for a Sesh, it's all he talks about, and Toni Trucks is the same, so i'll give it a miss if that's okay ;)
Oh ya, thank goodness for the FREEDOM we have. Can you imagine if we were all forced to watch and listen to the same person?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
If we can get a better centre back, one with pace to burn and Sancho for example for the right wing, we could compete for it with some luck on the injury front.

Put VVD into that team and I think we’d be good to for it.
These are exactly the priorities as I see them. A top class CB partner for Maguire and Sancho on the right. I’d also add a CF for rotational needs and depth. Someone with different qualities to Martial. That said, on the CB, we are functioning very well as a unit.

Need a left back.

And we need someone to really push Martial. Good hat trick recently but generally I don’t expect him to score. I don’t think we’ll win the league with him as our main striker
Nonsense post about the left back. Shaw has been brilliant this season. He’s currently one of the top LBs in the league. Outside of Robertson, who is better? And don’t say Chilwell. He can’t defend.

We're getting close to the point where the bottleneck will be Ole's ability to maximize the talent in his squad, not the limitations of the players.
Ole has built the team, and got them to this level already. Best team since Fergie. He deserves credit Not this nonsense

I don't say this to be critical because he's not horrendous but no team wins a league title with Lindelof at CB.
Liverpool won it with Matip. Who’s no better. Lindelof is improving all the time and we’ve conceded 4 in the last 16. Two De Gea mistakes. It’s the unit that matters. I still advocate for an upgrade, but I don’t think he’s our limitation.

I think we’re a way off hitting the consistency needed. Can fully see some disappointing periods yet
Very sensible post. This is one of, if not THE, youngest team in the league. There will be bumps in the road.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
With the resources we have we should really be challenging and possibly winning every year. It is all down to the playing group and how they apply themselves.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
If we can get a better centre back, one with pace to burn and Sancho for example for the right wing, we could compete for it with some luck on the injury front.

Put VVD into that team and I think we’d be good to for it.
Despite Man City showing them their backsides in their last match they seem quite giddy at the moment, maybe an ideal time to ask them if they'd consider a season-long loan for him next season, with no obligation to buy.

Web of Bissaka

With Bruno driving the whole team, it's possible.

Our best 11 is just strong enough.

The only two problems..
  • the squad depth + cover, especially RW and back four.
  • injury to Bruno and we're out.
Solution?
= summer reinforcements.

hmchan

With Bruno driving the whole team, it's possible.

Our best 11 is just strong enough.

The only two problems..
  • the squad depth + cover, especially RW and back four.
  • injury to Bruno and we're out.
Solution?
= summer reinforcements.
I guess we all agree to that. Question is, whether it will happen? We've seen this over and over again. When we are one or two players away from title challenge, the board is satisfied with a top four finish and refuses to invest. Then we have no choice but to chase inferior targets and the team starts to decline. After a year or two the board is finally willing to invest when we struggle to get into the top four, but it's already too late as many more problems emerge and we become three to four players away from title challenge again. The lack of ambition from the board is evident and I'm frustrated with the club.

13/14 (1) - 75.33m
14/15 (7) - 146.09m
15/16 (4) - 53.93m
16/17 (5) - 137.75m
17/18 (6) - 152.9m
18/19 (2) - 52.15m
19/20 (6) - 142.02m

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Depends.

If we remain injury free - we will be fine.

If Liverpool had our injuries this year, they’d have struggled massively.

Some things you just can’t plan for.

ruskyline

Depends.

It's just so amazing that Liverpool for many years can go on without any injury. Makes me wonder if that's just pure luckor something else.

Ishpan2

I think the need for a CDM is overlooked in too many of these replies. The truth is, the more games in a row that Matic plays, the slower he gets. This eventually results in him being slower than a snail if we start him every game. I love Scott, but he hasn't shown the growth this season that was necessary for him to become the commanding defensive presence in our midfield that we require. He works more as a CM, but the starting 11's formation has no need for that with Pogba and Fernandes. Without a quality CDM we force Pogba to play more defensively, which throws the entire team's balance off.

I would put RW, CDM, CB, and backup CAM (in that order) as our four main necessities to truly take the #1 spot next year.

Eli Zee

I guess we all agree to that. Question is, whether it will happen? We've seen this over and over again. When we are one or two players away from title challenge, the board is satisfied with a top four finish and refuses to invest. Then we have no choice but to chase inferior targets and the team starts to decline. After a year or two the board is finally willing to invest when we struggle to get into the top four, but it's already too late as many more problems emerge and we become three to four players away from title challenge again. The lack of ambition from the board is evident and I'm frustrated with the club.

13/14 (1) - 75.33m
14/15 (7) - 146.09m
15/16 (4) - 53.93m
16/17 (5) - 137.75m
17/18 (6) - 152.9m
18/19 (2) - 52.15m
19/20 (6) - 142.02m

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sancho and a world-class center back and we’re going to be in contention, although I still doubt that we’ll overcome both City and Liverpool. Chelsea are also going to improve massively with Werner and Ziyech coming in.

If we’re going to be as lucky as Liverpool were this season (that includes our main competitors to be unlucky like City were as well), I guess...

IRELANDUNITED

We need better quality squad players. If the FA cup game against Norwich proved 1 thing it's that our non starters aren't good enough. Our strongest 11 is very good, add maybe 2 players to that and I honestly believe we aren't far off City and Liverpool's best 11, but look at the bench City have had this season. Liverpool haven't as strong of a squad but they've been extremely lucky with never getting any injuries to key players. Can we really expect Matic, Pogba , Fernandes to be fit and fresh for all 38 league games?

Tarrou

Why can’t we just enjoy being not crap for a bit before we have to start talking about winning the league?
in fairness we did have that period after we beat Sheff United but ended when we beat Brighton :lol:

KennyBurner

Depends.

Glad someone said it. The difference between us and liverpool are injuries. They haven't suffered close to the amount of injuries we have. I wish people that criticize us really understand how handicapped we have been with Lingard/pereira playing important roles for this team wile playing the whole season without our best player. Imagine this Liverpool side without Mane who has scored 18 gamewinning goals. Context matter and that right there is the difference. All those 1-0 games they would win when they played absolute longball crap.

If we stay injury free we put up a Title challenge. You could even see Klopp sacrificing Cup games to keep his best 11 fit. What Ole needs to do now is improve squad quality and also promote good youth players that can fill in for the cup games. Williams and greenwood are already great additions to the team but we need more so we can spend big on more individual quality.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Er... Let's try to get into top 4 first this season, then we will talk about the next...

r0663664

Worships Man City
We can compete if the investment is made and these players delivers. If I am to prioritise then it would be CM, CF, RW and CB. 4 players would be needed to compete. Everytime, Pogba and Bruno is out. We will 100% struggle to create goals therefore we need a creator. Forward will be next Rushford, Martial blows hot and cold. We need someone who score 20 goals a season. RW, with Greenwoord emerging therefore I think he can further develope on the right. I would give Bailly 1 more chance to establish himself.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
I think it'll take a massive collapse from both City and Liverpool for us to win the league next season, but I certainly see us doing better. I think top four feels very likely but with constant improvement from our young exciting front line, I don't think we're far away

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You don't need to be in the Champions League to win the league.
But we may need CL to attract new players (ie Sancho), and tie down future of our best payer (ie Pogba), which is important if we want to build something for next season.

AaronRedDevil

If United can keep pogba, get Sancho and maybe another CB. It's very possible to at least come damn close.

Eire Red United

If United can keep pogba, get Sancho and maybe another CB. It's very possible to at least come damn close.
We do that and we’ve definitely got as a good a team as anyone. As long as we aren’t relying on Lingard and Andreas next year we won’t be far away.

Greck

But we may need CL to attract new players (ie Sancho), and tie down future of our best payer (ie Pogba), which is important if we want to build something for next season.
Yes people are massively jumping the gun and treating our current form as the end rather than the means to the end of making CL through one of the many fortunate lifelines that have opened up.

We already missed out on sancho by missing CL last year. A disappointing end to this season could set us back a year or two if it prompts Pogba to leave and Sancho not to join. By all means we are still currently fighting to have this season remain a step forward

manutdrphenomenal

To win the league we need Martial and Rashford to improve even more. Can they get to the level of Mane, Salah, Aguero?

then we need additional players like others have mentioned. Particularly, Sancho.

however, one thing people are overlooking is if Liverpool and City are on form next season then it is out of our hands because they have more quality and better base than us.

we have started to show positive signs recently but this Liverpool team has been building up since a few years. It is similar to the 06/07 team that sir alex built. The togetherness and chemistry means a lot to get a team to battle together on and off field.

Only under Ole i am starting to see that more and hopeful for future.

the other option is if City fail to strengthen and Liverpool decline. Like this season, City have declined, which took pressure off Liverpool. Although, they likely would still have won the league but it helps when your opponents decline. Just like Chelsea did twice, once under Mourinho then Conte. Whatever the reason is.
if they don’t decline then we have to wait longer and keep building the team in a sensible way.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Our bench is too garbage. Probably 1-2 more summers without brainfart transfers, and then we can talk.
What do you think about Liverpool's bench?
They have barely any quality below their first X1 at all.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
To win the league we need Martial and Rashford to improve even more. Can they get to the level of Mane, Salah, Aguero?

then we need additional players like others have mentioned. Particularly, Sancho.

however, one thing people are overlooking is if Liverpool and City are on form next season then it is out of our hands because they have more quality and better base than us.

we have started to show positive signs recently but this Liverpool team has been building up since a few years. It is similar to the 06/07 team that sir alex built. The togetherness and chemistry means a lot to get a team to battle together on and off field.

Only under Ole i am starting to see that more and hopeful for future.

the other option is if City fail to strengthen and Liverpool decline. Like this season, City have declined, which took pressure off Liverpool. Although, they likely would still have won the league but it helps when your opponents decline. Just like Chelsea did twice, once under Mourinho then Conte. Whatever the reason is.
if they don’t decline then we have to wait longer and keep building the team in a sensible way.
Yep, agree, and I'd summarise we need the below

1. Bruno, Pogba, Martial and Rashford to be fit for 90% of the games, together. The last 3 of those have missed huge periods
  2. Rashford and Martial need to both step up a gear, last seen when we had Rooney and Ronaldo develop together
  3. We need a gamechanging signing or two. Sancho and a top CB ideally, but i'd be pleased with Sancho and Grealish, the latter of which would take a bit of heat off point 1.
Those 3 alone I think would see us having a superb season

Strelok

It's just so amazing that Liverpool for many years can go on without any injury. Makes me wonder if that's just pure luckor something else.
It's both I think.

Both Klopp and Pep known how to keep their players super fit and injury free. Barcelona under Pep basically played the same line up for every matches if my memory serves me right.

In my last FM save, I won both PL and CL. And he still refused to sign a new contract then went off to Real Madrid :mad:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
I know people will accuse me of self-gratified muppetry, but if we win by more than 3 games today, I'm saying that it's on

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I really dont think grealish and rice are gonna win anyone the league.

I like grealish as a player but rice is so overrated on here its beyond belief
Rice? I'd question Grealish and Sancho's league winning credentials, not their abilities. Rice ability wise, I'm not so sure, let alone league winning mentality.
Thing is you don't win the league on a paper best 11.

Graelish in rotation with a front four of Sancho and what he have would add a lot of cover. Same case for rice. Having the luxury of choosing from Fred, Mct, Matic or Rice is what would give us that added squad depth.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
IF this idea has any merit then Woodward has to invest in massive squad depth. The standard of the 1st XI is very high now, and has perhaps even 15% more to improve, given age profile and new on field relationships.

But we’d need to invest in another top centre back, Sancho and high quality cover for Bruno. Also sign Iglaho full time.

That’s around £175m spent

And then get rid of deadwood who’d be stealing minutes from our youth. (Jones, Smalling, Andreas, Lingard).

IF and only if thy happens, then fans can hope for a challenge BUT still need to be supportive if we can’t pull it off.

Realistically I’m expecting a genuine title challenge to coincide with Qatar World Cup year.

Lee565

We are still a few steps away from that, if we sign sancho this summer then I highly doubt we will make any other big signings in this summer transfer window and would expect us to be roughly in the same position liverpool were in a few season back of being great going forward but being let down too many times in defence next season.

Hopefully though in the summer transfer window of 2021 we will sign a top class keeper to replace de gea and a top class fast central defender to compliment and partner Maguire which will then give us a great chance to win the title.

ReddBalls

We need better quality squad players. If the FA cup game against Norwich proved 1 thing it's that our non starters aren't good enough. Our strongest 11 is very good, add maybe 2 players to that and I honestly believe we aren't far off City and Liverpool's best 11, but look at the bench City have had this season. Liverpool haven't as strong of a squad but they've been extremely lucky with never getting any injuries to key players. Can we really expect Matic, Pogba , Fernandes to be fit and fresh for all 38 league games?
The Norwich game only showed that replacing 8 first teamers with players with no match fitness is a gamble (which paid off). It should not surprise anyone. There were no obvious drop off after the subs were made against Bournemouth. United have way better depth than everyone bar City. Ighalo, McT, Fred, Romero, James and Williams are all very good to decent alternatives.

Edit: Obviously doesn't mean United shouldn't strengthen.

Robbie Boy

Still a-lot of work to do but there are definite positive signs. We finally have a fluid front three who are all capable match winners. Pogba and Matic are looking good playing deeper which has given Bruno the freedom to be our creative outlet and quite frankly, he has been world class since his arrival and clearly elevated the team.

I've never been a fan of Matic but he's shown a genuine resurgence since the turn of the year. In saying that, I feel he can be upgraded on and used as a squad option. I would like to see Partey come in and start alongside Pogba in that deeper role. He would bring far more energy to the role than Matic and would be far more useful against better teams than Bournemouth who will press us a-lot more.

I like Lindelof, he seems like a likeable bloke and he's a good footballer. I'm not sure there's much between him and Maguire at all, but given the money Maguire cost, and the fact he's our captain means his place is cemented for the foreseeable. Maguire is far from a really top defender and I feel we need a really genuine top defender alongside him and preferably one with pace.

The Sancho conundrum is going to be a wee bit more complex given Greenwoods emergence as a starter on the right. Sancho coming in could potentially disrupt the balance between a front three that are really starting to gel. In saying that, Greenwood is only 18 and having him as a squad option would be a fantastic luxury. I'm really buzzing about his emergence though and I would feel somewhat disappointed if he lost his place, albeit to a player that looks like a generational talent.

I would like to see some more youth promoted to take the places of the likes of Lingard, Jones and Pereira, who really should be moved on. I don't rate James and unfortunately I don't think he's going to be good enough, but he'll be a squad player here for next season at least so hopefully he can chip in when required. If we could aquire one or two players of a good calibre for squad roles, that would be good too.

Last edited:

AneRu

I think it's a step by step progression to winning the league. First we need to qualify for the CL and make signings that consolidate us in the top three in the summer, I think Sancho and a CB would just that. If we keep Pogba and add two quality players for rotation in the creative department in the summer of 2021 then we will start the season after next as genuine contenders.

We are about five players, whilst keeping the players we have, away from seriously challenging. Those five are a starting DM, RW and CB then a couple of versatile midfielders that can deputize for Pogba and Bruno. The latter two we can add in the summer of 2021.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We need Sancho. And maybe another creative midfielder (no10) for cover. And that is it. Fred is good cover for mc and dmc. Greenwood is cover for all attackers. Bailly is solid cover for defence.
I rate Shaw a lot so yes, we can upgrade him but only with some world class full back like Alaba.

Yes, we can win PL next year. IF we will be lucky with injuries.

RiqCantona

I don't see why not? Its not impossible to say the least. Our objective should definitely be winning the league next season given how we are progressing. And if we get a couple of the right players, it should increase our chances considerably.

But having said that, its also important for us to keep our expectations in check. We know that we are still quite far from the level of City and Liverpool and even with the right players it will be extremely difficult to top both clubs! If anything, the winners of past 2 seasons have raised the bar quite a bit and we have to play out of our skins week in week out if we are to even get close.

I say, the club should set a goal of winning the league next season and we probably will end up with a strong 2nd or 3rd position.

eire-red

We're still a bit off in fairness. At the moment we are showing title contenders form, but you feel an injury to Bruno and we're struggling again. Same has to be said for one of Rashford or Martial.

We need 4 players, spread over a couple of transfer windows probably. Sancho obviously, a pacey, combative CB, a Matic replacement and another creator who can play 10/across the front line.

I mentioned 4 in another post, but I think Sancho, Koulibaly, Ruben Neves and Grealish and we would win the league with that team. Add those 4 to the our current starting 11 and that 15 core, top players, which is what you need to compete in 3/4 competitions and potentially hit 55/60 games in a season.

We're close, but let's cement our position as a top 4/3 team to begin with. The encouraging thing about this run however, is how we're now dispatching smaller teams with ease, and if we had done that consistently this season we'd probably be second, or well clear of Chelsea and Leicester at least.

Promising times indeed.

Havak

Pokemon master
I still think next season is too soon, but why not have the hope and optimism instead of the doom and gloom almost every other year?

If we do the right business we have a chance. I feel that we are probably not yet capable of being a 90-Point Premier League team which feels like a requirement to win it these days... But if Liverpool & City can drop off a bit more we might be able to go close to making up those points. It'll be all the sweeter if we can do it with Ole and a few academy lads in the side though! I'd love it if we beat them :drool: