Third at Christmas

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think this feels pretty good and unexpected given how poor we were at the start of the season. To be third at Christmas ahead of City, Chelsea and Spurs is something I would not have believed possible after two particularly low moments in our recent history. Getting thumped 1-6 at home to Spurs was bad, but it already felt awful to lose 1-3 on the opening day, looking so far off the pace whilst City started with a prime performance.

It’s a shame to be five points behind Liverpool, but our winnable game in hand puts us only two back if we turn up.

The CL run had two great European wins, but obviously was a big disappointment. Hopefully we can end the first half (third?) of the season on a high, get a win against an in-form of Everton and have a cup semi to look forward to in January. We’re the best team left in that comp and it would feel amazing to lift some silverware again, especially under Ole.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think what weve seen since those first 3 games proves beyond a doubt that our lack of pre-season was a big factor for that, so anybody who still wants to use that as a stick can feck off.

This is a quality team thats getting better all the time

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
We need to quit Europe completely. Go out playing kids.

We could finish second if we don’t juggle too many competitions.

We could also finish sixth or worse if we suffer a few injuries.

Betson

Third best team in the league , you can't get any better than that.

Josh 76

If someone said Utd would be 5 points behind Liverpool and have a game in hand by Christmas. I would have thought they were crazy.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Misleading, by December people assume you mean the half way mark of the season. We've only played 13 games and have so many more to go. Let's see where we're at when we are at 19 games.

McTerminator

Third best team in the league , you can't get any better than that.
Very funny...

As Manchester United fans though we know far too well that you can be much worse! Enjoy the upwards trajectory perhaps?
Misleading, by December people assume you mean the half way mark of the season. We've only played 13 games and have so many more to go. Let's see where we're at when we are at 19 games.
Can't disagree with this, but we have put ourselves in a good position. Need to stay there now.

r0663664

Worships Man City
If we beat Liverpool at Annfield then we will be title contender. If we lose then we will be fighting with others for top 4. City, Spurs, Chelsea and Leicester would be pushing us all the all. I don't see any of them dropping off. 3 spots for 5 teams so 2 will lose out.

cyberman

Not really. The league has more or less taken shape at this stage every season. I dont think we have ever been told to wait until Christmas before we can judge title / top 4 contenders.
This line of thinking is just a knock off of the next game is Oles big test meme.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Depends from where you are looking. It is more impressive to turn it around after only 13 games after our terrible start.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Our position in the table after 13 games since Fergie:

2013-14: 8th (9 points behind 1st) // finished 7th
2014-15: 4th (11 points behind 1st) // finished 4th
2015-16: 2nd (1 point behind 1st) // finished 5th
2016-17: 6th (11 points behind 1st) // finished 6th
2017-18: 2nd (8 points behind 1st) // finished 2nd
2018-19: 7th (14 points behind 1st) // finished 6th
2019-20: 9th (20 points behind 1st) // finished 3rd

2020-21: 3rd (5 points behind 1st with a game in hand)

So with the exception of 2015-16 and 2019-20, we've finished either in the same position we were 13 games in, or one position out.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Well, we have the remaining fixtures to play, i've put the total points we aquired (from both legs) last season.

Liverpool - 1 point
Leicester - 6 points
Aston Villa - 4 points
Wolves - 2 points
Burnley - 3 points
Fulham - n/a

All with the exception of Leicester were teams we stumbled on last season. Tough set of fixtures ultimately but flip side of the coin being that if we do well in these fixtures and get a decent set of results then we'll be looking strong this year. We're already 9 points ahead of last season after 13 games. I really want us to beat Wolves as thats the team we've struggled against in recent seasons, getting a decent win against them will be enjoyable.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

So with the exception of 2015-16 and 2019-20, we've finished either in the same position we were 13 games in, or one position out.
This guy knows his shit.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Had blanked on that 15/16 season, looks like after that 13th game we went on a run of 3 wins out of 13 :nervous:

eire-red

I've been critical of Ole a lot in the last few months, but you have to admire how he fronted up and took the criticism at the start of the season, and never threw the players under the bus.

Looks like we're gathering momentum and you have to give him credit for sticking with his style, and playing the likes of Martial, Shaw, Maguire, Bruno into form, all of whom had poor starts to the season.

If we can get a quality addition in January, then why not have a proper push and cement second in the table? I never thought I'd say that after the 6-1, and it's a testament to the players who are constantly pegged as having a weak mentality. When you actually look at our reactions after setbacks (both in game and results wise), that never say die attitude is the one thing Ole has instilled in his time here better than any post Fergie have.

kopviolator

Positives and negatives... I just don't know.
Happy with where we are at but in all honesty I don't feel this is echoed by many of our performances. Having said that, football is weird to me without the fans so I guess that affects my perspective of games.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not really. The league has more or less taken shape at this stage every season. I dont think we have ever been told to wait until Christmas before we can judge title / top 4 contenders.
This line of thinking is just a knock off of the next game is Oles big test meme.
Fair, I just don't think it has taken shape though. Each week we're seeing a "new contender" against Liverpool. We could easily lose against Leicester and people would say the club is in a crisis and talk up City as challengers. I'd rather we actually reach the half way stage of the season to say we're in a good spot.