Third Place: Croatia vs Morocco

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Congratulations to Croatia on winning your second game of the tournament.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Bronze to Croatia is almost unbelievable.

Barely top-10 on paper, but they play with confidence and style:cool:
In International teams its mainly a system that fits your players that gets you to world cup finals.

Croatia play with a way that they know works for them and gets the best out of their squad.

Definitely over achieving but making most of their resources

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Congratulations to Croatia. What a team, they are so good and consistent at World Cups. Well done Morocco for the entire tournament, just ran out of gas in the end

SATA

Credit to Croatia but not sure why they were jumping around and celebrating like they have won the trophy. Just me finding it abit bizarre though. Do the football team who wins bronze at the Olympics celebrate like this too?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Clear as day light mate. Seen a lot less given.
It was pretty much split down the middle in the thread. I kind of wanted both teams to win for different reasons so had no beef either way, but wasn't a pen for me.

It didn't matter ultimately anyway.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Credit to Croatia but not sure why they were jumping around and celebrating like they have won the trophy. Just me finding it abit bizarre though. Do the football team who wins bronze at the Olympics celebrate like this too?
I remember Cilic being tears when he won bronze at tennis.
Don't think you can compare an Olympic medal to third at the WC though. You never hear someone saying that player won Serie A twice, the FA Cup and a bronze at the WC in a decorated career.

DickDastardly

Dude, football at the Olympics is in the handicap category.

You find it bizarre celebrating being third in the world at the most played and watched sport in the world?

Talk about having high standards.

philnguyen1994

A country with just 3.8 million people has just been declared the third-best at football in the world, after coming second 4 years ago. Of course it was a great achievement worth celebrating.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
It's a better achievement than Arsenal getting 4th in the league and Arsenal used to go on the lash after that...

frostbite

Congratulations to Croatia! A win and third place in the World Cup is a fitting last international game to the great player Modric. (Although, he remains such a good player that perhaps he has a few more years on top level. )

If the following is true... what we missed!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...an-play-Man-United-reveals-Rio-Ferdinand.html

Luka Modric 'wanted to be the first Croatian to play for Man United', reveals Rio Ferdinand as he recalls trying to convince him to leave Spurs in 2012 - before the club signed £17m flop Shinji Kagawa instead

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Definitely. And why not? Third place in the olympics is the difference between taking home an olympic medal or returning empty-handed.

I was wondering if it’s the same at the WC. Does anyone know?

Teja

Congratulations to Croatia! A win and third place in the World Cup is a fitting last international game to the great player Modric. (Although, he remains such a good player that perhaps he has a few more years on top level. )

If the following is true... what we missed!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...an-play-Man-United-reveals-Rio-Ferdinand.html

Luka Modric 'wanted to be the first Croatian to play for Man United', reveals Rio Ferdinand as he recalls trying to convince him to leave Spurs in 2012 - before the club signed £17m flop Shinji Kagawa instead
"No value in the market"

Meanwhile we lose out on Aguero, Silva, Toure, Modric etc etc and get Scholes out of retirement.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I would say both have done inspiring jobs in this tournament. Such lovely and incredible stories from both( especially from Morocco).

Well deserve it

Rista

If you watched the game you could see how much both sides wanted it and fought for it. Of course they are going to celebrate. It's a nation of like 1/3 population of London and with a 3rd place win you kinda end the tournament on a higher note. It's been almost 60 years since England did better than that for example. Maybe if they cared as much every game things wouldn't always end up in disappointment.

DickDastardly

If you watched the game you could see how much both sides wanted it and fought for it. Of course they are going to celebrate. It's a nation of like 1/3 population of London and with a 3rd place win you kinda end the tournament on a higher note. It's been almost 60 years since England did better than that for example. Maybe if they cared as much every game things wouldn't always end up in disappointment.

There's that too.

You end the tournament with a win, so effectively, ending third is actually more pleasing then ending second, cause you lose your last game.

Keeping that mentality on a high is always important in national teams...

Real Name

What to say lads, happy to bits. It helped Morroco looked tired and had the whole defense missing but nevertheless we took the ball of them and deservedly won. Played our best game and proved how good can we be upfront. Then again who's to say we'd achieved the same if we didn't play so conservative. In any case I enjoyed how we played.

I may be subjective and a bit drunk but we have a proper, proper team and are a force to be reckoned with. Since 1998 two 3rd places and a final. For such a small country a remarkable, truly remarkable result.

Modrić will stay for the nations league and who knows maybe for Euros two. Also there are some good young players emerging so I'm not afraid for the future, on the contrary.

Gvardiol should be named for the best young player, he deserves it and Liva maybe the best keeper.

Real Name

We're a country of 3.8 million mate and to be 3rd in the world is something to celebrate.

Real Name

:lol:Would've been very soft. There was barely any contact.
Are you sure you've seen the tackle? He basically cut him.

Can't believe anyone thought it wasn't a pen. Joško didn't throw himself, there were actually two touches on the leg.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What to say lads, happy to bits. It helped Morroco looked tired and had the whole defense missing but nevertheless we took the ball of them and deservedly won. Played our best game and proved how good can we be upfront. Then again who's to say we'd achieved the same if we didn't play so conservative. In any case I enjoyed how we played.

I may be subjective and a bit drunk but we have a proper, proper team and are a force to be reckoned with. Since 1998 two 3rd places and a final. For such a small country a remarkable, truly remarkable result.

Modrić will stay for the nations league and who knows maybe for Euros two. Also there are some good young players emerging so I'm not afraid for the future, on the contrary.

Gvardiol should be named for the best young player, he deserves it and Liva maybe the best keeper.
Congrats on an absolutely superb showing this world cup.

Thoroughly deserved, Croatia were one of my favourite teams to watch, maybe not the most attacking of teams, but a solid collective unit who look to play football in the right way.

Real Name

Punching above their weight with a very old squad, I'd celebrate too.

Croatia just don't have that final quality to win a final.

Even if they had a player like Giroud up front they could win a final just tactically with Perisic, Gvardiol and Modric & Kovacic in the midfield, they fall a bit short.

Croatia are one player a way where with a tiny bit of luck they could win a final, but the squads too old after this WC, I think next WC maybe getting to the QF would be huge.
Well we won't have the same squad in 4 years and it's not really that old. People portray it like they're playing in wheelchairs practically.

Real Name

Congrats on an absolutely superb showing this world cup.

Thoroughly deserved, Croatia were one of my favourite teams to watch, maybe not the most attacking of teams, but a solid collective unit who look to play football in the right way.
Thanks mate, I guess we won't be regarded as a surprise anymore but as a mainstay. :)

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah but the difference is that in the players weren't violent towards one another. They were just shouting at him and if he was fine with it then it's all good I guess ? Despite the Moroccan players houding him,they didn't retaliate against the Croatians
Yeah, it didn't get that bad. But then, they didn't have ET and it wasn't an all or nothing knockout.

It was a refreshingly competitive third place game for a change. I think he was somewhat permissive to keep it edgy (a positive thing) when there wasn't much need for it so it got a bit out of hand (you definitely don't want to see refs shoved around like that).

Real Name

Other then not awarding the pen (what were the guys in VAR room thinking ffs) which is one of the worst decisions I've seen in a good while the ref let Morroco players abuse him and go into his face from the minute one. He was trying to talk nicely his way of it instead of dishing a card or 2 to stop them.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
We're a country of 3.8 million mate and to be 3rd in the world is something to celebrate.
That’s an incredible achievement. Your record is something to be extremely proud of.
They used to talk about the Dutch over performing and they’re about 4 times the population of Croatia.

Real Name

That’s an incredible achievement. Your record is something to be extremely proud of.
They used to talk about the Dutch over performing and they’re about 4 times the population of Croatia.
Exactly.
And I don't think it's about punching above our weight anymore. Being in the major competitions and achieving great results at the world cups has been a norm.