This black woman’s anti-Muslim rant shows how deep British racism goes.

Mora-16

It's not, neither is turning the other cheek. A beating would not alter her feelings of hatred, but she would think twice about opening her mouth again in the future. I gave an example of what i went through until i fought back, there are so many other instances like that.
My sister in law is Muslim. Wears the niqab and although speaks Arabic her English is perfect.
I am white British. Born and bred in Manchester now living in an area of London considered Arabic.
(Edgware Road near Marble Arch).
I have witnessed many occasions when she has been spat at, laughed at, threatened and bullied and by association myself too.

I have also suffered racism from the Arabic community who think Western women will fxxk them for the price of a glass of wine.
Racism is everywhere, in all cultures and every community.
I never turn the other cheek.
My kids are mixed Arabic British.
I want them to be proud of who they are and defend themselves when under attack (either verbally or physically).
No amount of educating or inter grating will make some people less racist.

Eugenius

I'm black, and as echoed by other posters the suggestion that the woman being black makes her bigotry any more or less acceptable is utterly racist. I'm a second generation immigrant but I consider myself completely British in everything culturally except for heritage (which I'm also proud of) and wouldn't think that me being black would preclude me from making reasonable judgement on immigration issues, or in the case of the woman being a stupid bigot.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I didn't say it was particularly relevant to the racist rant and I doubt I'd have mentioned it as in my experience a huge range of people can be and are wildly racist. But there is a bit of irony and it isn't racist, implicit or otherwise, to mention it. Not on its own. I seriously doubt there is a single black person in the UK (or probably anyone of any ethnicity for that matter) who is not aware of "go back home" (presumably Africa) being used to insult black people no matter where they were born. Nobody in this thread seems to have any trouble with the concept. So someone of an ethnicity that is and has been traditionally the target for the same abuse that they are now handing out to someone of another race/ethnicity is ironic. I don't see how you can deny it.
This is where we're going to have to disagree. I think it's a fine example of institutional racism to consider this video worthy of an article solely because the woman has black skin.

Also, you say that you doubt there's a single black person in the UK who isn't aware of "Go back home" type of racist bigotry -- I think most would be aware, but to say all is unfounded. There really are people who are more insular than you think.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I'm black, and as echoed by other posters the suggestion that the woman being black makes her bigotry any more or less acceptable is utterly racist. I'm a second generation immigrant but I consider myself completely British in everything culturally except for heritage (which I'm also proud of) and wouldn't think that me being black would preclude me from making reasonable judgement on immigration issues, or in the case of the woman being a stupid bigot.
I'm assuming most black people are aware of the racism (historical, and obviously current) that immigrants in post-War Britain in particular had to face, but what I find offensive is the presumption that black people (this woman -- bigot though she is -- in particular) should have to be aware of such contextual ironies. She's English, being black is just a secondary irrelevance as far as i can see, but I'll leave it up to others to decide.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is where we're going to have to disagree. I think it's a fine example of institutional racism to consider this video worthy of an article solely because the woman has black skin.
Was the sole reason that this was newsworthy? Surely the racists rant on film was more than enough?

Also, you say that you doubt there's a single black person in the UK who isn't aware of "Go back home" type of racist bigotry -- I think most would be aware, but to say all is unfounded. There really are people who are more insular than you think.
I really don't think there are. A black person who isn't aware of black people being told to "go home" as an insult/attack? I really really doubt it.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Was the sole reason that this was newsworthy? Surely the racists rant on film was more than enough?
Yeah, but the article's premise concerns itself with the woman's skin colour, and the ironies that arise from it. Racist rants happen all the time, the fact that she is black shouldn't, in my opinion, merit a write up.

I really don't think there are. A black person who isn't aware of black people being told to "go home" as an insult/attack? I really really doubt it.
But clearly the woman in the video seems ignorant of such attacks?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Did anyone suggest the woman's colour or ethnicity made her racism any more acceptable? If they did they are idiots. And wrong.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yeah, but the article's premise concerns itself with the woman's skin colour, and the ironies that arise from it. Racist rants happen all the time, the fact that she is black shouldn't, in my opinion, merit a write up.
No is shouldn't. It would be depressing if such attacks are so widespread that they weren't newsworth on all occasions. Here in Australia they are.

But clearly the woman in the video seems ignorant of such attacks?
She is? How do you know that? Racists often have a very poor sense of irony. Or anything else for that matter.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
She is? How do you know that? Racists often have a very poor sense of irony. Or anything else for that matter.
Well, I don't -- which, is sort of my point, because the author can't know this either. I'm judging based solely on the nature of her rant, which seems to preclude any experience of "Go home" style racism. Could be that this woman has been subjected to such attacks, but from a four minute video it seems impossible to draw definitive conclusions, this however, does not stop the author from trying.

Bury Red

Backs Fergie, Yells Giggs!
For what it's worth the article's author is also black, hence his reference to "we racial minorities". Were he a white author writing of his surprise at finding racism alive and well within ethnic minorities you could be forgiven for assuming he was naive but the author here is clearly stating that he would have hoped ethnic minorities in Britain, through their shared experience of racism, would be less susceptible to the hate mongering within our media and he is disappointed to find they are not.

As with Wibble, I'm glad that all such attacks are deemed newsworthy and the idiotic perpetrators are shown up by their own ignorance on social media.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
For what it's worth the article's author is also black, hence his reference to "we racial minorities". Were he a white author writing of his surprise at finding racism alive and well within ethnic minorities you could be forgiven for assuming he was naive but the author here is clearly stating that he would have hoped ethnic minorities in Britain, through their shared experience of racism, would be less susceptible to the hate mongering within our media and he is disappointed to find they are not.

As with Wibble, I'm glad that all such attacks are deemed newsworthy and the idiotic perpetrators are shown up by their own ignorance on social media.
I'm not sure the author being black really matters all that much in this case. He's clearly middle to upper middle class, and there's a world of difference. If anything, it seems condescending, hence my charge of institutional racism.

Bury Red

I'm not sure the author being black really matters all that much in this case. He's clearly middle to upper middle class, and there's a world of difference. If anything, it seems condescending, hence my charge of institutional racism.
Which institution are you accusing of racism?

The press? Certainly the case in much of the British media but the Grauniad's about as far from such accusations as you can get.
The middle classes? Not actually an institution.
The bus company? The only institution actually on display here.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Which institution are you accusing of racism?

The press? Certainly the case in much of the British media but the Grauniad's about as far from such accusations as you can get.
The middle classes? Not actually an institution.
The bus company? The only institution actually on display here.
The Guardian in this case, and I really wouldn't buy their "liberal, defender of all things sacred image" either. They have some of the most condescending articles you're ever likely to read, consisting of people highly removed from certain socio-economic backgrounds, looking down from ivory towers and saying "This is appalling -- it should be this way". Their anti-Daily Mail mandate often results in inverse-ethnocentrism. The author writes an article, suits the Graun's agenda, it gets published. It isn't explicit in its racism, or even consciously aware of it, but there is an underlying condescension present which would qualify as racist nonsense if published in less eloquent terms by the Mail

Bury Red

Harker's only the second Editor in British newspapers to come from an ethnic minority, he's previously been editor of Black Briton and has been lambasted in the past for Guardian articles parodying the traditional racist assumptions that all terrorists are dark skinned muslims when a couple of white British jihadis were exposed. His stock in trade seems to be how the media portray race negatively and the societal effects of that portrayal hence his urge to write this piece highlighting someone who in his eyes "should know better" resorting to the same sort of stereotyping that the British media are too often guilty of.

The Guardian can be as irritatingly supercilious in it's desire to be right on as a 1970s student union but in this instance I do think the author has a point.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Wow. Shocking proof that racism exists.
I always though it was just a pigment of the imagination.

Jagga7

Are you Punjabi? I remember as a kid, a sikh boy told me they keep their long so they can wash it in the blood of muslims:lol: probably just hyperbole though.
:lol:, Yeh i am Sikh and I've never heard that one! I've always cut my hair so maybe that's a running joke for the one's who grew their hair.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
My point was that there will be certain people who will only have to look at the colour of her skin to also throw the go back to you own country insult at her. I mean if a black person said that to me on the bus I would find it pretty strange considering how it can be used on them too. You couldn't say it to a random white person
Even if the white people were Muslim?

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
White people are the least racist of all the racists in my experience.

The big difference being that white racists tend to have a lot more influence and control than any other type of racists.

As an example, a lot of my Polish colleagues were telling my how bad it was that the Romanians were coming when the EU limits expired...
http://lusopt.com/portugal/294-cuidado-com-os-romenos-nas-paragens-e-nos-sinais.html#

I'm guessing they use google to translate.

"
Watch out for Romanians who are the signs in Braga, Porto, Coimbra, Lisbon - east of mafias.

There are days 10 subjects given a symphonic music concert in support of the east of emigrants in the Gil Vicente theater in Coimbra.After the lights went out to initiate the concert, one of them pulled out a machine gun, while the others did the collection of money and goods transported by spectators.

Finished work, fled backstage.

Alerted the authorities, which was not the surprise to be known that this group has given concerts like other provincial cities with the same result. It happened last week in ave. Marechal Gomes da Costa at the port in broad daylight. Would be a 15:30. A guy to stop at traffic lights was approached by an easterly individual, those who often go to play the accordion or violin. The individual had a friendly air and abeirou him to play the accordion such.

He decided to give you 50 cents, opened the window and as he held her hand with the coin, the individual pulled her violently and immediately pointed a knife to his neck and forced him to take the mobile phone and wallet, pondo- immediately on the run. None of the drivers of the cars around you realize or did anything to help.

The victim went immediately to a police station and told what happened, where, to his astonishment, he was told that it was not the first time that this happened, which has had about 10 complaints in the same procedure.

I think that this is an organized network which also operates in Lisbon, professional beggars. If you notice well, most of them do not even know properly play the instrument, using it as a method of approach to further assault the unwary driver. This network also engaged in the trafficking of children and baby theft.

In Spain there have been some complaints that these individuals of Romanian origin stole babies from the back seat of cars."

While one plays beside the driver, an accomplice will behind and steals the child, selling them later for parents wishing to adopt other countries. Pass this email to as many friends and acquaintances and in the future, be careful with these guys.

Always lock the doors and close the windows when they approach and distrust of the sympathetic aspect, they are usually dangerous criminals.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
You completely missed my point if you think I was saying white people are more racist :lol:

I was talking about her using the insult 'go back home' when she is black in a native white country and that it's just really dumb and ironic for her to say that because that's the sort of thing black people will also get a lot (as they are ancestrally not from the UK like the Asians she is telling to go home)
:lol:

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Personally I've always believed that black people were inherently incapable of racism so this has come as a real shock to me. I was okay with normal white person racism but this is just too much. For shame Britain.
Seriously? I've had racism from both white and black people in my life.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Probably for inciting racial hatred, which is a crime in the UK.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Not really. She wasn't arrested for being stupid, she was arrested for inciting racial hatred (her stupidity might be a contributory factor in her actions, but it doesn't excuse her actions).