This is the best week to be a United fan in a long time

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I agree OP. feck the sportswashing and be optimistic about the future. It would have been a disaster if Qatar owned our club.
Yeah it would've been a massive shame. Thank God we avoided that. I've had some reservations over Sir Jim Ratcliffe in the past but I'll take him and INEOS over state ownership any day of the week. Every United fan should get behind them and give them a fair chance of turning the club around.

dutchred

The highlight of the season so far. Will have to wait and see if it’s a long term project and not just due to injuries but still Ten Hag deserves credit for playing so many youth players in the recent weeks.

I’m glad we aren’t state owned but Ratcliff is about to fire a ton of people just after Christmas. The ownership situation is hardly worth celebrating.
He's firing people who are superflous to our requirements

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Yeah it would've been a massive shame. Thank God we avoided that. I've had some reservations over Sir Jim Ratcliffe in the past but I'll take him and INEOS over state ownership any day of the week. Every United fan should get behind them and give them a fair chance of turning the club around.
It's less about Jim and INEOS, they're probably dickheads.

But the alternatives were all far worse.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
The highlight of the season so far. Will have to wait and see if it’s a long term project and not just due to injuries but still Ten Hag deserves credit for playing so many youth players in the recent weeks.

I’m glad we aren’t state owned but Ratcliff is about to fire a ton of people just after Christmas. The ownership situation is hardly worth celebrating.
I don't like to see people lose their jobs but he's not sacking them for a laugh. He's sacking them because they aren't good enough for the club. That's a positive.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't like to see people lose their jobs but he's not sacking them for a laugh. He's sacking them because they aren't good enough for the club. That's a positive.
That's not likely the reason. Staff cuts can be a quick win to get a company that has recently posted a loss back in the black, though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

At least Sancho gets to keep his job. Poor fella.

Sweet Square

I doubt it has anything to with how these people perform. It’s been reported as “streamlining”’which nearly almost means a way to cut costs and increase profits.
At least Sancho gets to keep his job. Poor fella.
:lol:

Someone has to pay for a yearly Xbox live subscription!

Giggsy13

“It’s not worth it at all. It’s just not worth it.

I randomly came across this comment on a Newcastle forum after they lost yesterday. It really spoke to me about the state of football at the moment. This is a club that have sold their soul and for many of their fans, it must leave them feeling dirty and not enjoying it. It was so close to being us.

However, we are doing things the right way.

1. Reliance on academy.
I don’t think I was the only one yesterday shocked when Gore, Hannibal and big Willy came on the pitch. However, what a feeling it was. Along with Rashford, Garnacho, McTominay and Evans yesterday we were brimming with local talent. This is so integral into the fabric of United. What a joy it is to see a manager use these players.

2. Local owners
As mentioned above, Newcastle fans are evidencing regrets about their club. We were close to becoming another sportswashing vehicle but we managed to swing it so a local man is after running us in the correct way. Do you know how amazing it is to have this news announced at Christmas? United fans must be rubbing their hands.

3. Injury crisis subsiding
Even the most ardent critic of ETH will admit he has been done with injuries this year. However, Maguire, Casemiro, Martinez and Mount should be back in the next month. Eriksen and Varane are back. This is going to be massive to us playing football the correct way until the end of the season.

4 . A classic comeback win.
The news about the local owner taking over created a cauldron of noise yesterday. The attacking football, the never say die attitude and the constant belief from the fans has been absent all year. Now we look like a team brimming with confidence.

5. Evidence of long term strategy
The face that we are blooding more youngsters shows that the ownership have got the ears of the fans. There’s a genuine nightmare scenario this year where we have all the injuries but some of our wonder kid signings were not fit. Willy, Mainoo, Hannibal and Garnacho show the fruits of long term injuries investment in youth.

There is so much to be positive about now. Short term, medium term and long term things COULD go well. Please can we make this board as positive as possible and unite the fanbase behind a man who has pledged to put the Manchester back into Manchester United. With these youngsters, this management and the adaption of a long term strategy - let’s get behind the lads.
Excellent post. Refreshing to read some positivity and someone prepared to see the big picture rather than the narrow minded drivel we’ve been subjected to the past several weeks.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Imagine lying this much to yourself every day.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
i said yesterday but there have been multiple layoffs across departments at united already.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I doubt many Newcastle fans think having owners who want the club to be successful over Mike fecking Ashley is "not worth it" . They are just upset that they lost to Nottingham Forest and still play like garbage 50% of the time.
A random observation - Newcastle havent really played good football since around the time they signed Owen from Real Madrid.

A few good games here and there but it was basically always dross with relying on individual brilliance.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I don't understand why there isn't more positivity around the INEOS news. It could be the best thing to happen to the club in two decades.
Most of us are now cynical about investment and buy-outs.
Until we see actual results on the pitch, most of us will reserve our judgment.

SAFMUTD

“It’s not worth it at all. It’s just not worth it.

I randomly came across this comment on a Newcastle forum after they lost yesterday. It really spoke to me about the state of football at the moment. This is a club that have sold their soul and for many of their fans, it must leave them feeling dirty and not enjoying it. It was so close to being us.

However, we are doing things the right way.

1. Reliance on academy.
I don’t think I was the only one yesterday shocked when Gore, Hannibal and big Willy came on the pitch. However, what a feeling it was. Along with Rashford, Garnacho, McTominay and Evans yesterday we were brimming with local talent. This is so integral into the fabric of United. What a joy it is to see a manager use these players.

2. Local owners
As mentioned above, Newcastle fans are evidencing regrets about their club. We were close to becoming another sportswashing vehicle but we managed to swing it so a local man is after running us in the correct way. Do you know how amazing it is to have this news announced at Christmas? United fans must be rubbing their hands.

3. Injury crisis subsiding
Even the most ardent critic of ETH will admit he has been done with injuries this year. However, Maguire, Casemiro, Martinez and Mount should be back in the next month. Eriksen and Varane are back. This is going to be massive to us playing football the correct way until the end of the season.

4 . A classic comeback win.
The news about the local owner taking over created a cauldron of noise yesterday. The attacking football, the never say die attitude and the constant belief from the fans has been absent all year. Now we look like a team brimming with confidence.

5. Evidence of long term strategy
The face that we are blooding more youngsters shows that the ownership have got the ears of the fans. There’s a genuine nightmare scenario this year where we have all the injuries but some of our wonder kid signings were not fit. Willy, Mainoo, Hannibal and Garnacho show the fruits of long term injuries investment in youth.

There is so much to be positive about now. Short term, medium term and long term things COULD go well. Please can we make this board as positive as possible and unite the fanbase behind a man who has pledged to put the Manchester back into Manchester United. With these youngsters, this management and the adaption of a long term strategy - let’s get behind the lads.
Agree with every point except number 2. It gives absolutely no value or makes any difference to have "local owners" whatever that means. Who gives a feck if the owner was born or lives in Manchester? its about them doing the right things for the club I dont care if theyre british, chinesse, american or ethiopians.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Same here. I don't like to see sackings BUT as a club, this is the only way forward.
For far too long we have had mediocre people at the club. A top-to-bottom refresh needs to happen and hopefully, those who do lose their jobs will find something better within a few weeks.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Agree with every point except number 2. It gives absolutely no value or makes any difference to have "local owners" whatever that means. Who gives a feck if the owner was born or lives in Manchester? its about them doing the right things for the club I dont care if theyre british, chinesse, american or ethiopians.
I like when Manchester United has a connection to the local area.

vanrooney

Thanks for the positive thread. Yes, there are many positives in this week and i can see a new structure being build after saf‘s structure that broke down at the minute he left. Just hope we get a good DoF in and get our transfer business in order. ETH could flourish in a good setup.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Greenwood not playing is not a problem for all fans. Him playing for another club is a problem for some fans. You don't speak for all of us on that point. For my part I think we've lost an incredible talent for no reason and have cost the guy a job without due process and without regard for a presumption of innocence we should all enjoy in a manner I regard as immoral and wrong for a well run family club. Others disagree.
The rest of your post I agree with wholeheartedly.
Have a word with yourself.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Someone who doesn't think that people ought not to be judged without a jury of their peers finding them guilty in an open court of law is not someone who ought to be listened to on anything related to morals or ethics. If the Crown had evidence to convict him he'd be in prison now.
Again, even if it went to court and charges were dropped, it doesn't mean he's innocent. He is guilty. He beat the shit out of his girlfriend. This isn't a lie. she dropped the charges. Doesn't change anything

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
There’s a part of me that fundamentally abhors the line of thinking of “he wasn’t charged legally, and the people he wronged are apparently still happily together with him, but it doesn’t matter he’s guilty”.

Pretty slippery slope from that to full on witch hunts
He beat the crap out of his girlfriend. How can you even begin to defend that unless you are a woman beater too? This isn't a witch hunt. He's did what he did and has to live with the consequences of his actions...

JagUTD

Point 2 is dumb.

Before the takeover Newcastle were owned by a "local man"...he turned their iconic stadium into a giant advert for sports direct. He literally changed its name to Sports Direct. He also almost led the club to complete ruin and constantly shone negative publicity onto the club due to valuing his own wealth over basic human decency.

A club losing its soul has a lot more to do with the above than whether the owners are foreign or not. Unless you're a raging Brexit xenophobe.

Half of this forum wanting to cut off nose to spite face just because of City's success also doesn't change this I'm afraid.

I doubt many Newcastle fans think having owners who want the club to be successful over Mike fecking Ashley is "not worth it" . They are just upset that they lost to Nottingham Forest and still play like garbage 50% of the time.
Walsall is a fair trek from Newcastle tbf.

doughole

It's too early to say how good or bad the executive changes are. There is cause for hope but not for celebration.

OverratedOpinion

Someone who doesn't think that people ought not to be judged without a jury of their peers finding them guilty in an open court of law is not someone who ought to be listened to on anything related to morals or ethics. If the Crown had evidence to convict him he'd be in prison now.
The crown prosecution service actually rarely makes decisions about hirings and firings for businesses.

Most employers will generally choose to part ways with employees when recordings of them threatening to rape someone get made public. PC gone mad I know.

JagUTD

Thought I'd clicked on a Wumminator thread about some positivity to end the year at United but somehow I've ended up in the Greenwood thread. Clumsy me.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Yeah i feel the same about “local lads” coming through the academy, I mean really what’s the fuss about? Might as well just remove Manchester from the name and call it “United”.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
:lol:

Number 2 is a bit “weird” even though I’m happy that there might be light at the end of the tunnel re the Glazers out. Maybe it’s because I’m not a “local”. I just want good, competent owners. I don’t care where they’re from. Feels….wrong to care where they’re from (unless it’s maybe an immoral regime as some would say). But maybe that’s just me.

pogbasformerbarber

While this is a bit of an overstatement, I understand the sentiment...The bottom line is we have been absolutely crushed by injuries and very busy schedule. Our squad simply hasn't had the bandwidth to compete competently in multiple cups and leagues this year. I mean look at our back line the last 10 games or so.

Now the schedule is easing and we are getting a few players back. Instead of treading water we seem...seem...to be actually playing with a plan. I never thought we were as bad as we have looked the last few months. Thats not to say we are winning the league, but I feel like watchable football is right around the corner.

TysonFury

Things are starting to look positive, capped off with the brilliant comeback victory over Villa. Hopefully things are on the up now

SAFMUTD

Yeah i feel the same about “local lads” coming through the academy, I mean really what’s the fuss about? Might as well just remove Manchester from the name and call it “United”.
False equivalence there, having a good academy is a resemblance of a successful club. Having a local owner has nothing to do with it.

Also are the "local lads" better coming from the academy than foreign youngsters? Is Garnacho less valuable than a "local lad"?

It's an international club, what makes the premier league so successful and big is that it's watched all around the world. All that cheap nationalism is bullshit.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
False equivalence there, having a good academy is a resemblance of a successful club. Having a local owner has nothing to do with it.

Also are the "local lads" better coming from the academy than foreign youngsters? Is Garnacho less valuable than a "local lad"?

It's an international club, what makes the premier league so successful and big is that it's watched all around the world. All that cheap nationalism is bullshit.
All of football is based around the idea that “my city is the best city ever”. It doesn’t reflect anything about someone’s personality but that’s literally what football is. Obviously a local academy product is more exciting than someone who is not,

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

It's called Manchester United. Of course, locals will have a more positive feeling about the club when the owners and players are local. Manchester United started as and is still a local club despite its international success.

It has nothing to do with cheap nationalism, and frankly, that's an odd thing to say.

Teja

I like it, I'm still buzzing about the result, the way we controlled the game, the change in ownership, good form from Mainoo, Garnacho and Rashford. The only thing that could be more perfect is if we integrated Sancho back into the squad.

I still have doubts about Ten Hag but I think a new CEO / DOF will cover a lot of his shortcomings.

Stadjer

It's called Manchester United. Of course, locals will have a more positive feeling about the club when the owners and players are local. Manchester United started as and is still a local club despite its international success.

It has nothing to do with cheap nationalism, and frankly, that's an odd thing to say.
Manchester United might be someone their local club but Manchester United is an international brand and not a local club.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Given that United academy have produced a grand total of one home grown key player in the last 30 years, I was hoping that this pipedream of relying on the academy would have disappeared by now