This is the best week to be a United fan in a long time

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
“It’s not worth it at all. It’s just not worth it.

I randomly came across this comment on a Newcastle forum after they lost yesterday. It really spoke to me about the state of football at the moment. This is a club that have sold their soul and for many of their fans, it must leave them feeling dirty and not enjoying it. It was so close to being us.

However, we are doing things the right way.

1. Reliance on academy.
I don’t think I was the only one yesterday shocked when Gore, Hannibal and big Willy came on the pitch. However, what a feeling it was. Along with Rashford, Garnacho, McTominay and Evans yesterday we were brimming with local talent. This is so integral into the fabric of United. What a joy it is to see a manager use these players.

2. Local owners
As mentioned above, Newcastle fans are evidencing regrets about their club. We were close to becoming another sportswashing vehicle but we managed to swing it so a local man is after running us in the correct way. Do you know how amazing it is to have this news announced at Christmas? United fans must be rubbing their hands.

3. Injury crisis subsiding
Even the most ardent critic of ETH will admit he has been done with injuries this year. However, Maguire, Casemiro, Martinez and Mount should be back in the next month. Eriksen and Varane are back. This is going to be massive to us playing football the correct way until the end of the season.

4 . A classic comeback win.
The news about the local owner taking over created a cauldron of noise yesterday. The attacking football, the never say die attitude and the constant belief from the fans has been absent all year. Now we look like a team brimming with confidence.

5. Evidence of long term strategy
The face that we are blooding more youngsters shows that the ownership have got the ears of the fans. There’s a genuine nightmare scenario this year where we have all the injuries but some of our wonder kid signings were not fit. Willy, Mainoo, Hannibal and Garnacho show the fruits of long term injuries investment in youth.

There is so much to be positive about now. Short term, medium term and long term things COULD go well. Please can we make this board as positive as possible and unite the fanbase behind a man who has pledged to put the Manchester back into Manchester United. With these youngsters, this management and the adaption of a long term strategy - let’s get behind the lads.

Last edited:

Red Royal

I randomly came across this comment on a Newcastle forum after they lost yesterday. It really spoke to me about the state of football at the moment. This is a club that have sold their soul and for many of their fans, it must leave them feeling dirty and not enjoying it. It was so close to being us.

1. Reliance on academy.
I don’t think I was the only one yesterday shocked when Gore, Hannibal and big Willy came on the pitch. However, what a feeling it was. Along with Rashford, Garnacho, McTominay and Evans yesterday we were brimming with local talent. This is so integral into the fabric of United. What a joy it is to see a manager use these players.

2. Local owners
As mentioned above, Newcastle fans are evidencing regrets about their club. We were close to becoming another sportswashing vehicle but we managed to swing it so a local man is after running us in the correct way. Do you know how amazing it is to have this news announced at Christmas? United fans must be rubbing their hands.

Even the most ardent critic of ETH will admit he has been done with injuries this year. However, Maguire, Casemiro, Martinez and Mount should be back in the next month. Eriksen and Varane are back. This is going to be massive to us playing football the correct way until the end of the season.

The news about the local owner taking over created a cauldron of noise yesterday. The attacking football, the never say die attitude and the constant belief from the fans has been absent all year. Now we look like a team brimming with confidence.

The man who was apparently thinking of bringing back Greenwood is on his way out. The fact that Greenwood no longer plus for this club whilst we are blooding more youngsters shows that the ownership have got the ears of the fans. There’s a genuine nightmare scenario this year where greenwood is playing and we are owned by Qatar. Thankfully, through luck or strategy this is now the complete opposite.

There is so much to be positive about now. Short term, medium term and long term things COULD go well. Please can we make this board as positive as possible and unite the fanbase behind a man who has pledged to put the Manchester back into Manchester United. With these youngsters, this management and the adaption of a long term strategy - let’s get behind the lads.
Great Post, I am hopeful even though a long way to go. There will always be the negative lot though who can pick holes in every topic.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Great Post, I am hopeful even though a long way to go. There will always be the negative lot though who can pick holes in every topic.
But football for me is all about finding the joy and happiness. You HAVE to believe it’s going to be okay when the signs are there - that’s football support.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Point 2 is dumb.

Before the takeover Newcastle were owned by a "local man"...he turned their iconic stadium into a giant advert for sports direct. He literally changed its name to Sports Direct. He also almost led the club to complete ruin and constantly shone negative publicity onto the club due to valuing his own wealth over basic human decency.

A club losing its soul has a lot more to do with the above than whether the owners are foreign or not. Unless you're a raging Brexit xenophobe.

Half of this forum wanting to cut off nose to spite face just because of City's success also doesn't change this I'm afraid.

I doubt many Newcastle fans think having owners who want the club to be successful over Mike fecking Ashley is "not worth it" . They are just upset that they lost to Nottingham Forest and still play like garbage 50% of the time.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Point 2 is dumb.

Before the takeover Newcastle were owned by a "local man"...he turned their iconic stadium into a giant advert for sports direct. He literally changed its name to Sports Direct. He also almost led the club to complete ruin and constantly shone negative publicity onto the club due to valuing his own wealth over basic human decency.

A club losing its soul has a lot more to do with the above than whether the owners are foreign or not. Unless you're a raging Brexit xenophobe.

Half of this forum wanting to cut off nose to spite face just because of City's success also doesn't change this I'm afraid.

I doubt many Newcastle fans think having owners who want the club to be successful over Mike fecking Ashley is "not worth it" . They are just upset that they lost to Nottingham Forest and still play like garbage 50% of the time.
Of course a lot of Newcastle and City fans feel that way. Their success is built on literal deaths of other people. That would taint anything.

Wpuld you rather the next United superstar be a local lad from Moss Side or a 80 million signing from Canada? Of course it’s better when localpeople are involved in football clubs.

matsdf

Point 2 is dumb.

I disagree with all of this...

GiveItToGi...nowait

Point 2 is dumb.

TIL the West Midlands is local to Newcastle.

Oranges038

Point 2 is dumb.

Ashley wasn't a local, well not local enough to go topless at every game.

He bought Newcastle to strangle as much money as he could out of it same as he does to every other big brand he purchases. He didn't give 2 shits about the club or the fans.

Ricardo de la Vega

1. Reliance on academy.

2. Local owners

The man who was apparently thinking of bringing back Greenwood is on his way out. The fact that Greenwood no longer plus for this club whilst we are blooding more youngsters shows that the ownership have got the ears of the fans. There’s a genuine nightmare scenario this year where greenwood is playing and we are owned by Qatar. Thankfully, through luck or strategy this is now the complete opposite.

Greenwood not playing is not a problem for all fans. Him playing for another club is a problem for some fans. You don't speak for all of us on that point. For my part I think we've lost an incredible talent for no reason and have cost the guy a job without due process and without regard for a presumption of innocence we should all enjoy in a manner I regard as immoral and wrong for a well run family club. Others disagree.
The rest of your post I agree with wholeheartedly.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Point 2 is dumb.

Yeah, Walsall is a well-known area of Newcastle. It's just near the Tyne bridge.

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
Greenwood not playing is not a problem for all fans. Him playing for another club is a problem for some fans. You don't speak for all of us on that point. For my part I think we've lost an incredible talent for no reason and have cost the guy a job without due process and without regard for a presumption of innocence we should all enjoy in a manner I regard as immoral and wrong for a well run family club. Others disagree.
Grim.

UpWithRivers

I agree with the principle. I would love if it was true. But its naive. Like opening a shop that only wants to buy British products. Or a nice local BnB. Its nice. But its not how the world works anymore. The buy in China will always dominate, just as the mass hotel chains will run the local run BnB. As will the Saudis fk us over. Football is business and business is cut throat do or die. There is no room for morals and home run etc. We are already 50 years away from that type of football

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Nobody has said we didn't lose an incredible talent. We did. Greenwood should have been our RW'er for years to come. But don't trick yourself into thinking the kid is innocent. He may not have been charged, but he is definitely guilty. Sorry, but anyone with any sense of moral doesn't want a woman beater playing for our club.

Ricardo de la Vega

Nobody has said we didn't lose an incredible talent. We did. Greenwood should have been our RW'er for years to come. But don't trick yourself into thinking the kid is innocent. He may not have been charged, but he is definitely guilty. Sorry, but anyone with any sense of moral doesn't want a woman beater playing for our club.
Someone who doesn't think that people ought not to be judged without a jury of their peers finding them guilty in an open court of law is not someone who ought to be listened to on anything related to morals or ethics. If the Crown had evidence to convict him he'd be in prison now.

Pickle85

Someone who doesn't think that people ought not to be judged without a jury of their peers finding them guilty in an open court of law is not someone who ought to be listened to on anything related to morals or ethics. If the Crown had evidence to convict him he'd be in prison now.
Do you think OJ Simpson was guilty of murder?

djembatheking

He speaks for all the decent folk on the forum.

Valencia Shin Crosses

There’s a part of me that fundamentally abhors the line of thinking of “he wasn’t charged legally, and the people he wronged are apparently still happily together with him, but it doesn’t matter he’s guilty”.

Pretty slippery slope from that to full on witch hunts

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Any chance we can take the Greenwood groundhog day stuff to the thread where it's already been said 500 times?

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah not interested in the Greenwood stuff in here - just an example of I thought where the club have nailed down correct decisions. I will get rid of it from the OP if nonsense carries on, just a general positive thread here, I’m still buzzing after yesterday.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us

1. Reliance on academy.

2. Local owners

I want to believe.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I have very bad news for you.

Lynty

By your reasoning....OJ Simpson was innocent of his wife's murder, Prince Andrew never partied with Epstien, Donald Trump didn't knowingly miss use campaign finances as hush money to a pornstar and Benjamin Mendy was victim of a coordinated campaign of slander from unconnected young women.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I’ve edited out references to Greenwood of the op. I really don’t want a thread full of his nonsense.
It's worrying how tolerant the forum is of incels and this will be yet another threat they ruin.

Good OP though.

NLunited

I don't understand why there isn't more positivity around the INEOS news. It could be the best thing to happen to the club in two decades.
Because many fans were in favour of Qatar ownership. That should never even have been a consideration.

Tarrou

I don't understand why there isn't more positivity around the INEOS news. It could be the best thing to happen to the club in two decades.
the fact they are only buying 25% takes the shine off a little bit for me, I do expect them to complete a full takeover with a few years though

I'm delighted we're not going to be owned by a state though, so can't complain too much with this

jem

Of course a lot of Newcastle and City fans feel that way. Their success is built on literal deaths of other people. That would taint anything.

Wpuld you rather the next United superstar be a local lad from Moss Side or a 80 million signing from Canada? Of course it’s better when localpeople are involved in football clubs.
:lol:

Sweet Square

1. Reliance on academy.
The highlight of the season so far. Will have to wait and see if it’s a long term project and not just due to injuries but still Ten Hag deserves credit for playing so many youth players in the recent weeks.

2. Local owners
I’m glad we aren’t state owned but Ratcliff is about to fire a ton of people just after Christmas. The ownership situation is hardly worth celebrating.