This is the bleakest it has been in my lifetime

Martial

Tonight was a sight into the future of Manchester United, Mason Mount as our main man and becoming the next Everton for a decade.

Parma Dewol

12 May
15 May
19 May
25 May

Potentially bleaker dates for your diary.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Don't despair. This season is amongst the worst I can remember and that goes back to 77 but it can only improve.

New structure, new manager and hopefully a team who can at least play together in the future.

We still have the Glazers but we generate enough to be much better than this. We need better decisions across the board but it cannot get worse than this season.

Robertd0803

Final day 2011/2012 and losing the 2009 CL final hopefully wont ever be topped for bleak outlooks afterwards but maybe because tonight is just one more cut in death by a thousand cuts.

Nogbadthebad

I remember relegation. I was a young lad of 6 and I cried.

12 months later I thought we were the best team in the world.

It doesn;t take much to turn things around, the right people leading and a few key players.

Reactions: Livvie

CallyRed

I think the season we got relegated had better moments than this one

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
This bunch of players are truly awful. 400 million spent to get worse. Our only bright spots are academy kids.

Scriblerus

I watched us get relegated (after we tried hard to manage it for a couple of seasons). I won't say this is worse, but it's certainly more shambolic.

thisisnottaken1

Same here, and I thought that we were at rock bottom after losing to Brighton by the same score two years ago.

Somehow it’s gotten even worse.

This is genuinely upsetting. So many false dawns, and we keep ending up worse.

sparx99

Today strangely didn’t bother me. It was just so obviously coming. Coventry pissed me off. Sheffield and Burnley were just copy pastes of any of our games this season.

The next four games are going to be brutal though. Arsenal could put 7-8 past us.

ForeverRed1

And this has been said with every manager…

you’d think that the longer the club has been left to drift the harder it would get…

It was always going to get worse.. and worse.. and worse.

let’s hope ineos can do something. The summer will be so interesting.

Waynne

The night is always darkest before the dawn

Just in Old Trafford its a permanent darkness.

^^Beat me by seconds :lol:

SomeRandomPerson

Same here, and I thought that we were at rock bottom after losing to Brighton by the same score two years ago.

Somehow it’s gotten even worse.

This is genuinely upsetting. So many false dawns, and we keep ending up worse.
Depending on how much stock you put in xG numbers, we are a LOT worse than we were even under Ole/Rangnick -

Numbers in fact seem to indicate that -

1. Ten Hag had a bad start but then improved in both defence and attack in the middle of last season. But then, while our attack continued to improve towards the end of the season, defence got a lot worse.
2. The downward trend in the quality of our defence has been ongoing for a while now.
3. Ten Hag's underlying number have never been as good as Ole's first 2 seasons, where we at least had a positive xG difference.

Dan-Utd

Hopefully this will be the kick up the rear end that this club needs to get its self respect and high standards back.

Phil Jones was offered contract after contract - not good enough and barely played - but we reward him with a new deal - and we wonder why agents mug us off.

Let's over pay for a young English player just because he's English.

We sign players from Premier League teams but not the best ones, due to poor scouting - we sign Harry Maguire and Liverpool Vergil Fan Dyke... to make it even worse he cost almost the same amount if not more.

Mason Mount - another big big money signing and sweet jesus he's English too,

I'm English and have nothing against English players but we know the prices are inflated and the majority of them have been brought up in luxury academies and the like hence they are spoilt, most of the foreign players have had to work real hard every day, without excellent coaching and facilities to get their chance, these are the ones who will graft, be ambitious and want to be the very best.

Players like Rashford do things that mug the club off and get away with it - you ain't motivating players into being the best if you can't even keep them in line.

Finally... Erik, Erik Erik Erik... ooo i haven't picked my best team in 18 months - that's alright then we'll forgive you for the crap performances, hmm I mean even if your team only has 6 of your first choices in they should be turning in better performances than they have been.

We are the most entertaining team in the league - yep everyone else is laughing... at us... the guy is delusional.

How many times has he said we were playing well when we were rubbish - it's like he's watching a different game... if you can't read a game and identify the problems - you have no chance of being able to solve the problems.

Ohh and the transfers are just awful, if we buy someone it is someone he used to manage or someone who is Dutch, if we are linked with someone it is someone he used to manage or someone who is Dutch, the ambition to be the best is not there, it's all sign ya mates and if ya lucky you'll land a Real Madrid outcast.

Woot Weehurst was another one, a Dutch player, an average one at that, yet Manchester United sign him on loan from a Championship club. a friend of Eriks. That's the type of business you expect from a club who were expecting to battle relegation, no disrespect to Woot, he was a trier but at Burnley he never showed anything to suggest he's got what it takes to be in a team challenging for the top 7 in the PL.

The so called mentality and style that Ten Hag was going to implement is non existent, we play like a bunch of strangers, if that's happening after 2 years you're out of your depth... I know it's harder to do it as a PL club than it is in the Eredivisie but still.

Here is a quesiton that will show just how bad we are.... before last nights game, did you think we would win?

I find myself going into most games thinking getting a point would be a good result.

Time for a reboot... but we'll probably end up extending Harry Maguire's contract and show that nothing has been learnt.

P.S I haven't logged in for long time but I've just noticed that the text size on posts is smaller when logged in than it was when I wasn't logged in.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Performances don't bother me that much anymore. Eth will be gone, hopefully someone who knows how to coach a football team comes in, we'll be fine.

What worries me a lot is how bad our transfers have been lately. We're stuck with Onana, Antony and Hojlund as nobody is going to touch them for even half the price we paid, then the likes of Casemiro and Eriksen have still a valid contract for another year. Our young players are carrying too much weight because they can actually play football.

I think we're doomed for another 2 seasons regardless of the manager. Eth properly fecked us up with his transfers.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Hopefully this will be the kick up the rear end that this club needs to get its self respect and high standards back.

Phil Jones was offered contract after contract - not good enough and barely played - but we reward him with a new deal - and we wonder why agents mug us off.

Let's over pay for a young English player just because he's English.

We sign players from Premier League teams but not the best ones, due to poor scouting - we sign Harry Maguire and Liverpool Vergil Fan Dyke... to make it even worse he cost almost the same amount if not more.

Mason Mount - another big big money signing and sweet jesus he's English too,

I'm English and have nothing against English players but we know the prices are inflated and the majority of them have been brought up in luxury academies and the like hence they are spoilt, most of the foreign players have had to work real hard every day, without excellent coaching and facilities to get their chance, these are the ones who will graft, be ambitious and want to be the very best.

Players like Rashford do things that mug the club off and get away with it - you ain't motivating players into being the best if you can't even keep them in line.

Finally... Erik, Erik Erik Erik... ooo i haven't picked my best team in 18 months - that's alright then we'll forgive you for the crap performances, hmm I mean even if your team only has 6 of your first choices in they should be turning in better performances than they have been.

We are the most entertaining team in the league - yep everyone else is laughing... at us... the guy is delusional.

How many times has he said we were playing well when we were rubbish - it's like he's watching a different game... if you can't read a game and identify the problems - you have no chance of being able to solve the problems.

Ohh and the transfers are just awful, if we buy someone it is someone he used to manage or someone who is Dutch, if we are linked with someone it is someone he used to manage or someone who is Dutch, the ambition to be the best is not there, it's all sign ya mates and if ya lucky you'll land a Real Madrid outcast.

Woot Weehurst was another one, a Dutch player, an average one at that, yet Manchester United sign him on loan from a Championship club. a friend of Eriks. That's the type of business you expect from a club who were expecting to battle relegation, no disrespect to Woot, he was a trier but at Burnley he never showed anything to suggest he's got what it takes to be in a team challenging for the top 7 in the PL.

The so called mentality and style that Ten Hag was going to implement is non existent, we play like a bunch of strangers, if that's happening after 2 years you're out of your depth... I know it's harder to do it as a PL club than it is in the Eredivisie but still.

Here is a quesiton that will show just how bad we are.... before last nights game, did you think we would win?

I find myself going into most games thinking getting a point would be a good result.

Time for a reboot... but we'll probably end up extending Harry Maguire's contract and show that nothing has been learnt.
We could have done better on recruitment. For sure we should have allowed recruitment to be handled by specialized professionals rather then the manager. Don't get me started about fees and salaries. However even the best recruiters will commit mistakes. SAF could spot a talent from miles away but he had his share of Djemba Djemba, Kleberson and Bebe.

In my opinion, United's biggest issue is it's inability to handle a huge staff turnover. Woodward himself said that we can't handle more then 3-4 signings per year. That's a problem as it means that we're keeping players not because they are good but simply because we can't do otherwise. That's were complacency kicks in. All players have to do to remain at United is not to be at the bottom 4 places at a time when its possible to sell them (ie towards the end of a contract). We've seen players showing up when their contract negotiations were being made only to return to mediocrity once the contract was signed.

As Berrada said players should be given just 2 years to prove themselves and after that they should be on their way out, no ifs, no buts. Players on 100k-300k a week can't show up for just a handful of games per season. Its also time that United makes it pretty obvious that its a top football club not a nursing home, a mental clinic or a hospital. If players are too old, too injury prone or too mentallu damaged to put a shift in on a constant basis then their place is not at a top club

AndySmith1990

It's the pits. And entirely predictable.

We have one of the worst managers in England. As I first said months ago, we're this bad by design. The coaching and the tactics are abysmal and the refusal to change has led us to this point. We're being ruined by one man's pride and ego. The fact he's still in a job is negligence.

GazTheLegend

It's on the staff entirely. If you had a budget of around £300m quid would you end up with Jonny Evans and Casemiro as your starting centre backs? And as bad as our injuries have been - and they have been bad - we've had our first choice midfields and front 3's available plenty of times and it's not like we have looked any better in the middle or up top. Hojlund, Antony, Martinez, Casemiro, Mount and Onana ave just not given us bang for buck, and it's clearly on the manager: half of our signings played for him.

It's rotten to the core. Our leadership gave Ten Hag the keys to a damaged lambo, replaced the engine with a 1.2TDI Corsa, he then crashed it into a tree, and then allowed him to blame the tree for being there.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's on the staff entirely. If you had a budget of around £300m quid would you end up with Jonny Evans and Casemiro as your starting centre backs? And as bad as our injuries have been - and they have been bad - we've had our first choice midfields and front 3's available plenty of times and it's not like we have looked any better in the middle or up top. Hojlund, Antony, Martinez, Casemiro, Mount and Onana ave just not given us bang for buck, and it's clearly on the manager: half of our signings played for him.

It's rotten to the core. Our leadership gave Ten Hag the keys to a damaged lambo, replaced the engine with a 1.2TDI Corsa, he then crashed it into a tree, and then allowed him to blame the tree for being there.
we had read the script many many times, the manager doesn't do what the players want and suddenly they start jogging on the pitch or feck off in the treatment room. I am not suggesting that ETH doesn't share part of the blame. All I am saying is that we need a cleanup of biblical proportions here were most players and football staff are shown the door and those remaining will end up walking on eggshells out of fear that the club turn their sight at them. If a player lacks the ability to put a shift week in week out then he should be moved.

The-Mezzala

I remember Arsenal fans saying this few years back. City were irrelevant for decades. Things change quickly in football. Just need new manager and lots of new players. Ineos need to get the recruitment right thats whats been holding us back since Ferguson. Signing the wrong characters.

Last edited:

Lentwood

It's not bleak at all at the minute - forget these last few results, we've got a terrible manager who's playing crazy, suicidal football with a squad completely ill-suited to it.

None of these players are as bad as they're being made to look by EtH so sure, we need an overhaul of the squad but there's players to work with in the interim.

But....more importantly....INEOS have done what we should have done 10 years ago and bought a proper team of executives in to run the football operation. That in itself is more cause for optimism than anything else.

CM

It will only get worse before the season ends. There's a good chance we don't win another game this season and there's definitely capacity for a few more dickings.

Bwuk

The Cup Final will be worse.

Unless ETH is gone it’ll end up 5-0 to City.

SecondFig

It will only get worse before the season ends. There's a good chance we don't win another game this season and there's definitely capacity for a few more dickings.
This is why I genuinely want an interim manager at this point - pretty much anyone* - just 'til the end of the season. With someone else, anyone else, I at least have a crumb of hope that the next match might be different. But with ETH (and yes it's not all his fault, but he is a major part of whatever the feck is wrong right now) all I can see is some absolutely humiliating thrashings.

*Give it to Steve McClaren, bring back Ole for a final cup-final, hell - make Bruno or Maguire player-manager for the last month, I don't care

CM

This is why I genuinely want an interim manager at this point - pretty much anyone* - just 'til the end of the season. With someone else, anyone else, I at least have a crumb of hope that the next match might be different. But with ETH (and yes it's not all his fault, but he is a major part of whatever the feck is wrong right now) all I can see is some absolutely humiliating thrashings.

*Give it to Steve McClaren, bring back Ole for a final cup-final, hell - make Bruno or Maguire player-manager for the last month, I don't care
I've wanted him gone since September but I can't see it. I think the INEOS people will be more interested in trying to save themselves a few million on the payoff by holding talks with Bayern or another team at the end of the season than us being more competitive in the next four games. It probably doesn't help when a large percentage of the fanbase are pretty placid about the whole situation. It makes you wonder what it would actually take for some to turn.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
It has been the dark these last XI years. The problem is not that we are not at the top or not winning big trophies, the issue is that we are not even competing. The level of incompetence displayed makes your blood boil. It has been a continuation of the same mistakes repeatedly. It has been a constant frustration following United these last XI years. The Glazers in combination with the buffoons they hired and have really fecked us. It won't be easy for anyone to get this horse back on track. It would take time, money and some meticulous planning to get things back in order.

GazTheLegend

It has been the dark these last XI years. The problem is not that we are not at the top or not winning big trophies, the issue is that we are not even competing. The level of incompetence displayed makes your blood boil. It has been a continuation of the same mistakes repeatedly. It has been a constant frustration following United these last XI years. The Glazers in combination with the buffoons they hired and have really fecked us. It won't be easy for anyone to get this horse back on track. It would take time, money and some meticulous planning to get things back in order.
It really does. The same leadership that:
  • Gave Phil Jones a 5 year contract (!!!)
  • Gave Lingard 100k a week
  • Give new kids on the block massive, massive contracts making them impossible to shift when they don't improve
  • Kept spending MASSIVE amounts of money on has-been former stars like Casemiro and Varane - making the same mistakes Milan made in the 2000's
  • Backed Ten Hag to spend our entire budget on Antony for reasons nobody has ever quite explained
What is going on with our contracts and negotiating team that we have been shafted to -this- degree for this long? What happened to players -wanting- to play for Manchester United football club?

crossy1686

career ending
This is the worst its been post Fergie. The fact the manager still has a job this morning shows why things are so bad, we're just accepting the reduction of standards and expectations.