This team is ready

elnorte

Freaky fly day
I've already made my feelings perfectly clear on this topic. Whoever may take over from Ole is not going to win the league with the players he presently has at his disposal. The squad still needs serious work, certainly in midfield and in other positions as well, stemming from a combination of age, inexperience, contractual issues or basic lack of quality. Add to that there's no telling what players he will deem surplus to requirement and I'm not just talking about Fred or McTominay. However long we may have to wait for another league title (and I personally feel it will be a lengthy one), the squad will bear significant differences to this one.

Raw

It's still very good. The new manager will likely require a good DM to truly compete. We don't need to be world class in every position if we had a manager who can actually coach an effective tactical setup.

SER19

Honestly its the biggest positive I can take. Ok, Maguire, AWB and Shaw are playing horrendously but as opposed to other managers, this team didn't throw manager under bus. They've bailed Ole out repeatedly and its never been more clear that they are screaming out for a proper coach.

The balance of the squad is really good if weak in DM and again unlike previous sackings, this is a squad ready to compete.

Its genuinely exciting to imagine Sancho, Fernandes, Greenwood, Rashford, Cavani and bloody Ronaldo being used by a top coach.

Its hard to see it or feel it now but its the most straightforward solution post Ferguson, where each manager faced a rebuild.

Do it now and hit January in a good stride

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I genuinely believe that a good manager should have this team competing for the title and the CL. Not could, but should. Our squad has quality and depth everywhere. But it's managed by a fecking incompetent idiot. Swap that issue and we should be up there.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Nope.

They aren't winners bar Ronaldo and Bruno.

Ole has got the maximum you can out of this group which is top 4.

The next manager won't do any better without a major overhaul.

SER19

What the hell are you smoking bro ?
With a top coach? I think there's talent everywhere albeit it weak in the middle. Top coach and a January signing i really believe this squad is as strong as we've had.

They were sent out for second half today to keep the score at 2 nil. It was shocking and a discredit to the talent we have

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It isn't.

Maguire, McTominay, Fred. Most of the spine of the team is absolute shite.

It is nowhere near ready.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It really isn't. It's got some (too many) top forwards, a couple of good centre backs. The rest is a mess.

Oranges038

Nah a lot of these players have form.

They'll revert to type once they get fed up of the next guy too.

Swedish_Plumber

Nope.

So you’re saying this team has peaked and now we are seeing a downward spiral that can’t be undone by any other manager in world football?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Nope.

Ole got 2nd, then added Varane, Sancho, Ronaldo. And yet we need a major overhaul? feck off what have you been smoking.

Don't underestimate the difference an actual coach can make.

Denis79

I completely agree, we have a squad ready to compete at the highest level. A better manager will do a huge difference.

Sviken

Ready for Championship football with Ole at the wheel.

SER19

It isn't.

Maguire, McTominay, Fred. Most of the spine of the team is absolute shite.

It is nowhere near ready.
They don't have to be.

Imagine a top manager, let's say ten hag or Zidane. And

De gea

Trippier (jan)
Lindelof
Varane
Shaw

Matic?
Vdb? (pick your 2 here)
Fernandes

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Subs: Cavani, Greenwood, diallo, fred, mctominay, Maguire, Telles, Martial

I just don't believe this set of players can't fly. Its never ever been so obvious to me how poorly we are coached.

Sylar

Some of these players are jokers. You can't call them professional If you need a new manager to give you instructions on basics and fundamentals

Today as an example, Bruno for the first goal was disgraceful
Awb Shaw were shocking for the second

The manager needs to be better but a lot of these players are a joke

Hectic

Supports
30fps
The weird thing is if you look at the stats we are actually top of the league or thereabouts for most of the really important ones which shows with the right manager we could be instantly challenging.

1st for xG
1st for pass completion in the final third
1st for shots per game
1st for interceptions
2nd for possession
2nd for dribbles per game
3rd for total pass completion
3rd most fouls per game

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I'm ready to witness that, but is the board ready to do something in this direction ?

Waynne

They don't have to be.

Imagine a top manager, let's say ten hag or Zidane. And

De gea

Trippier (jan)
Lindelof
Varane
Shaw

Matic?
Vdb? (pick your 2 here)
Fernandes

Sancho
Ronaldo
Rashford

Subs: Cavani, Greenwood, diallo, fred, mctominay, Maguire, Telles, Martial

I just don't believe this set of players can't fly. Its never ever been so obvious to me how poorly we are coached.
Varane and Lindelof at the back for me too.
If we're going to go to a possession based game with our next manager, these two are essential. The only CBs we have that are comfortable on the ball and can bring it into midfield if need be.

Bailly too limited. Maguire looks like a dear caught in headlights when he gets the ball. Have no idea why he still starting games.

Houdini

Our team has superstars but is not balanced. We are going nowhere without a proper midfield and a balanced team. I would exchange some of our attacking players for a pair of WC midfielders.

Dan_F

These games are now utterly pointless when trying to judge the actual quality of the squad. It’s clear Ole has run out of ideas and trying to implement things short term which the players know aren’t going to work. For example, you don’t play a 532 against a team that has been playing that way for years.

Someone

Something
In terms of talent yes, but not in terms of mentality. Lots of mentally weak players.

Remember when we could field the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Rio, Vidic etc. Ignore their talent for a minute, and remember their wining mentality. I only feel this currently with Ronaldo, Cavani, and maybe Bruno, the rest are just kids.

SER19

Some of these players are jokers. You can't call them professional If you need a new manager to give you instructions on basics and fundamentals

Today as an example, Bruno for the first goal was disgraceful
Awb Shaw were shocking for the second

The manager needs to be better but a lot of these players are a joke
I completely agree that the level of individual errors is just insane but i believe those are now inevitable when you're so poorly coached. Everything happens so fast at the top level like your average Sunday league multiplied by 1000. Shaw and maguire v pool and today are absolutely individually culpable but the vast majority of goals we concede and mistakes we make are just symptoms of a completely chaotic set up.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This team will prove their quality with a new manager I think.

SER19

In terms of talent yes, but not in terms of mentality. Lots of mentally weak players.

Remember when we could field the likes of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez, Rio, Vidic etc. Ignore their talent for a minute, and remember their wining mentality. I only feel this currently with Ronaldo, Cavani, and maybe Bruno, the rest are just kids.
I don't know, matic is a winner who'll give you 20 games. Varane. I suspect Greenwood, VDB and sancho have a bit of an edge. Obviously teams like 94 and 2008 were different level but there's plenty here

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Overhaul? Wait what? I thought it's he'll left a grand squad for his successor?
The next manager if he has any cop on will want a

RB.
CB that isnt Bailly as back up.
2 CM.

Huge question marks for so many players now. The likes of Shaw and Maguire don't like like winners to me.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You only have to look at how bad the Chelsea players looked under Lampard to see what a difference the right managerial change can make

These players are good enough to compete, the coaching team aren't

Abraxas

I'm not so convinced about this narrative of everything being rosey in the garden except for the manager.

Let's be clear, the manager takes most of the responsibility. There's no issue there. But there seems to be some idea that "patterns of play" are going to easily materialise, and that all our technical woes will evaporate. That they're all down to our lack of structure.

However I think we show too many deficiencies too often for that to be the case, there is an element of individual responsibility. A few too many guys that are not at the level, some key failings in important positions within the first XI too. We also have quite a number of players that have never actually done it, have never won anything big. We could be overrating them to be honest and clinging onto the big guns like Ronaldo and Varane as evidence of being title ready.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The squad is stacked. We just have no team. I feel similar.

The Bloody-Nine

You only have to look at how bad the Chelsea players looked under Lampard to see what a difference the right managerial change can make

These players are good enough to compete, the coaching team aren't
Precisely. Don't fall for any nonsense, it's a very good squad with top players and a shite manager.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
With a top coach? I think there's talent everywhere albeit it weak in the middle. Top coach and a January signing i really believe this squad is as strong as we've had.

They were sent out for second half today to keep the score at 2 nil. It was shocking and a discredit to the talent we have
The entire backline (except Varane) and midfield (except Bruno) needs to be basically changed. Ole and his staff are amateurs but many of our players are just fecking shite

Someone

Something
I don't know, matic is a winner who'll give you 20 games. Varane. I suspect Greenwood, VDB and sancho have a bit of an edge. Obviously teams like 94 and 2008 were different level but there's plenty here
Some are ready to grow into it, but it has to be felt all over the club. Think of the manager and the players that Ronaldo and Rooney had when we signed them. The winning culture was everywhere. Now our Captain is our weakest player, our manager is clueless, and the only winners are 2 players in their mid 30s that won't be here in a couple of years. We need to invest in characters, not just talent.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho cannot score Ronaldo's goal vs Spurs.

Ronaldo cannot score Rashford's comeback goal after injury anymore- the goal assisted by Lindelof.

The team does not have balance.