Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Jesus Christ NxT... what a show that was. Two absolutely outstanding matches and some other very good ones sprinkled in between them.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Lashleys a much bigger star than Jack Swagger, that's not even close.

Not sure how I feel about him in AEW. Don't think he's big enough to matter over there, but if they push him, they're might develop one of the same problems TNA had. Pushing WWE rejects, WWE lite.

Personally think they should be looking to create more of their own stars, which they are in some regard.

Sylar

Swagger is so weird though. I mean its not like its going to make people talk ,like CM Punk or even a cain velasquez. Wouldnt say hes around the same as Lashley either (in name or high end matches). Hopefully it comes good though in AEW.

Bwuk

Still havent watched the NXT show yet. But in terms of ratings this isnt good for NXT
Was always going to happen. AEW's debut show was always going to outdraw NXT.

It's where they are in 3/4 months that matters.

Annihilate Now!

Scout

Still havent watched the NXT show yet. But in terms of ratings this isnt good for NXT
It's fine for NXT - they more or less held their number despite strong competition... and a debut episode of AEW was always going to draw well.

The real test/figures will come in 3 or 4 weeks from now.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
It's fine for NXT - they more or less held their number despite strong competition... and a debut episode of AEW was always going to draw well.

I expect AEW will still be very strong in 3/4 weeks.

Even if the product is absolutely shite (which i'm not saying it is - I haven't watched it) then there'll still be people watching it and hyping it up as it's the 'trendy' thing to do at the minute. That'll last for 3-4 months regardless of the quality of AEWs product.

I hope they do well though. Competition can only be a good thing.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
I expect AEW will still be very strong in 3/4 weeks.

Even if the product is absolutely shite (which i'm not saying it is - I haven't watched it) then there'll still be people watching it and hyping it up as it's the 'trendy' thing to do at the minute. That'll last for 3-4 months regardless of the quality of AEWs product.

I hope they do well though. Competition can only be a good thing.
They'll take a minor drop (as should be expected from any Premiere) probably get around 1.1 regularly and NXT will stay around the 900 Mark.

Sylar

Thats fantastic for AEW and wrestling as a whole. I do wish it was trashing Raw though cos thats the show that absolutely sucks. NXT and Dynamite both deserve to be seen.
The main demographics for AEW is the thing for AEW. NXT doesnt have to worry and I hope they dont change what they are doing.

Seen both shows now. NXT had the better wrestling, but AEWs look was fantastic. It was like the good WCW Nitro years. NXT has been fine for years. But now in comparison to nXt, looks smaller. I reckon NXT will be leaving full sail soon.
I hope both shows prosper as it is.

I hope Raw keeps flopping though.

Ekeke

Was always going to happen. AEW's debut show was always going to outdraw NXT.

It's where they are in 3/4 months that matters.
Vince's fingers will be all over the show in 2 weeks if NXT isnt winning. They've already sent Finn down and had a Takeover quality card, with 30 mins commercial free to try and keep up with AEW's launch and came nowhere close. There's very little more NXT can do without the bigger stars from the main roster turning up on NXT, they've tried everything else to stop AEW getting off the ground

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Vince's fingers will be all over the show in 2 weeks if NXT isnt winning. They've already sent Finn down and had a Takeover quality card, with 30 mins commercial free to try and keep up with AEW's launch and came nowhere close. There's very little more NXT can do without the bigger stars from the main roster turning up on NXT, they've tried everything else to stop AEW getting off the ground
The NXT viewer is more likely to watch baseball than the AEW one. No competition from baseball playoffs will profit NXT more.

Ekeke

11% down from the previous week, also AEW tripled the 12-17 and easily beat NXT in the 18-34 demographics.The only demo NXT beat AEW in, which is also the strongest WWE demo, is aged 50+. So its the strongest for Raw and Smackdown too, they also dont connect with those younger demos so WWE doesnt really know how to fix that and thats why they have this problem. Because AEW does.

And the reason why its such a big problem for WWE or NXT in this instance is that 50+ fans wont be around forever. They need to make young fans too for medium and longterm audience numbers. And thats exactly what AEW is doing.

NXT also cant afford to make every week a Takeover like they did this week, else they'll have no big matches for the actual Takeovers.

Its very important NXT bounces back next week and it'll be interesting to see how they try to do that. Because they've tried Takeover quality matches and that didnt work, so we'll probably see some of the things they do on Raw and Smackdown believing those work. But wrestling fans have changed and so should the methods to draw them

Last edited:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
How anyone can come to such certain conclusions after 3 weeks of one show (that's been going on for years now), and 1 week of an entirely brand new show, of a brand new company, is beyond me. Surely logically you give them both a few months in their new spots before coming to any conclusions?

I appreciate there's viewing figures based on different demographics but so what? It's 1 week, I'll wait for qualitative data before coming to any such conclusions. In the mean time, I watched both shows and I thought both shows were great in different ways. Think for wrestling purists, NXT is still the alternative, however if you wanting an alternative product all together that still has value in production, Dynamite made a solid start and I'm interested to see where they go with this new stable.

Feel like they're gonna take aspects of western wrestling, aspects of Japanese and fuse it all together. I'm expecting big arse factions and I love it.

Anyway, who's seen the smackdown stage for tonight? Looks unreal.

Ekeke

Randy Orton playing call of duty with a friend on stream, puts over AEW. Also may be drunk and reportedly said the N word during another point of the stream. Guess he's a Hogan fan

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Randy Orton playing call of duty with a friend on stream, puts over AEW. Also may be drunk and reportedly said the N word during another point of the stream. Guess he's a Hogan fan
He didn't say it with a hard R. That's okay...that's Reddit's excuse anyway.

Castia

Liking the new stage

Pretty hyped for this, if there’s ever going to be a decent show surely it’s this one.

Ekeke

Uh oh, bringing out the big guns in the first segment again. That killed the ratings when Stone Cold was on a few weeks ago. Hopefully this builds to some involvement from him later on near the main event too

AshRK

Rock showed why he is one of the best. Nice of him to give the rub to becky, although I would have liked him interact with more stars. Anyways solid start.

AshRK

Fiend has to beat rollins. I know I was against Fiend winning the title this soon but feck it. Anything better than seth and his pussy boring personality. He looks like a midcarder carrying something bigger than he should.

Ekeke

The ending leaves me interested, just because I've seen Cain wrestle in a couple of matches in Mexico. Other than that another boring Smackdown

Bojan11

Kofi was boring but that was terrible booking.

Now I cant wait till they ruin Bray. It will either be this Sunday or at SS vs Brock.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Tyson Fury in WWE could be absolutely hilarious.

Brock vs Cain just has world title presence. It's right.

Some twat who wears his hair in pigtails, would look small in 205 Live and has pancakes as a gimmick should never ever be allowed within a mile of the World title again.

Ekeke

Tyson Fury in WWE could be absolutely hilarious.

Brock vs Cain just has world title presence. It's right.

Some twat who wears his hair in pigtails, would look small in 205 Live and has pancakes as a gimmick should never ever be allowed within a mile of the World title again.
Gotta agree. Length of service & having a good match with Daniel Bryan shouldnt be the reason you make someone a world champion. Everyone has a good match with Daniel Bryan.

That said I'm sure they could have done much better with Kofi's title reign with sensible writing and booking, but we know by now that WWE cannot book a face. So that wasnt going to happen

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't watch wrestling anymore but do listen to some podcasts regarding it. Stone Cold, Jim Cornette, Edge & Christian, etc.

Well, I was listening to Austin's show where he had Hogan on (still disappointed they never worked a match together!) and they were listing all the injuries, surgeries, problems they're having in life due to said injuries, and it was hard to listen to.

WHat do you guys make of professional wrestlers themselves? Not the sport (entertainment), the people who actually wrestle.

I think they're silly. Yes, you get to travel the world, and you probably love what you do, but the risks of death at an early age, the problems you'll have later in life due to all the injuries (and, a lot of the time, having to work through said injury), and the likelihood of being broke after retirement (unless you make it as one of the few top stars) are all so likely that, to me, it seems like too big of a risk.

Obviously, since the Benoit tragedy there's less issues with drugs, working through injuries/concussions, etc, but they're still there.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I respect them a lot because they're clearly in it because they love it.

They're basically touring whole year round except when they get injured and that's a tough life to live, especially for how little they're getting paid for it.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I respect them a lot because they're clearly in it because they love it.

They're basically touring whole year round except when they get injured and that's a tough life to live, especially for how little they're getting paid for it.
Yeah, whilst I think it's a silly risk to take as the chances of making it big enough in the business to earn enough to live well after retiring (which, for wrestlers, is quite early in general), I must add that I respect them as, like you say, they're mostly doing it because they just love wrestling.

As for your point about "except when they get injured" - that's another problem . It usually takes a nasty injury in order for them to be allowed time off.

Like, look back to CM Punk during the end of his run in 2014. He was a MESS, and you could clearly see on TV he was not right. WWE had him working through all his problems, though, which, credit to Punk for doing so, was one of the many factors in him walking away.

Then, it you have a family, the amount of time spent away from them isn't ideal at all, which can put a damper on the travelling the world part.

Andersons Dietician

It looks like they’re actually going ahead with this ....
I know I mentioned a few months back they need to get Caine Velasquez in to face Brock but now this is the match I want as Fury just has that thing that I think he’d be awesome on the mic and decent at doing promos where so many of these parachute in stars suck at it.

On Cain Velazquez wonder if he can get DC to show up in his corner as well or something :lol: didn’t look as threatening mind when you looked at them physically next to each other.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I know I mentioned a few months back they need to get Caine Velasquez in to face Brock but now this is the match I want as Fury just has that thing that I think he’d be awesome on the mic and decent at doing promos where so many of these parachute in stars suck at it.

On Cain Velazquez wonder if he can get DC to show up in his corner as well or something :lol: didn’t look as threatening mind when you looked at them physically next to each other.
Yeah but remember that Cain beat the shit out of him when they fought for real!

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Way to shit on your champion. Back in your box Kofi, the beefy guy is back as champ. I don't watch UFC and I get that Caine Velasquez is a legit fighter, but maybe he should have kept his shirt on. Anyway, until I see more or see him wrestle it does absolutely nothing for me. I did go into this episode of Smackdown willing to watch it all for a change but after starting with a dull promo that did nothing I quickly found myself skipping most of it. New set, new commentary team, same problems.