Television Tho Prop Grops Throps

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thats a tough one for NXT, I guess they're just not going to win the ratings. Was a good show as well
???

That's amazing for NXT... they had a 40% rise on last week, and on a direct comparison level are pretty much neck and neck with the competition that has been well ahead of them by a fair distance

All this on a show that they didn't really promote any RAW talent on beforehand (albeit they hinted towards it - but nothing concrete was promoted for the show)... So yeah, really can't see how this can be painted as a negative for NXT.

Ekeke

???

That's amazing for NXT... they had a 40% rise on last week, and on a direct comparison level are pretty much neck and neck with the competition that has been well ahead of them by a fair distance

All this on a show that they didn't really promote any RAW talent on beforehand (albeit they hinted towards it - but nothing concrete was promoted for the show)... So yeah, really can't see how this can be painted as a negative for NXT.
The commentators promoted it. Anyone who didnt expect main roster talent wasnt paying attention. Such a shame that they didnt hit 1 mil this week, I'm going to consider them out of the running until the new year at least

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The commentators promoted it. Anyone who didnt expect main roster talent wasnt paying attention. Such a shame that they didnt hit 1 mil this week, I'm going to consider them out of the running until the new year at least
No they didn't - Lawler said "what's going to happen on NXT on Wednesday" but there was no solid promise/promotion that talent was showing up, or what talent was showing up. Like I said, it was just heavily hinted at.

If WWE had ran adverts saying AJ Styles was going to be on NxT that probably would have made a difference

They will though. They've reached parity in just over a month. That's dreadful for AEW.
Taken from Reddit:

Week 1: AEW had 518k more viewers
Week 2: AEW had 350k more viewers
Week 3: AEW had 302k more viewers
Week 4: AEW had 265k more viewers
Week 5: AEW had 179k more viewers.
Week 6: AEW had 9k more viewers

I don't think its dreadful or anything for AEW - as they're still going strong, but yeah, bizarre to think that this is a) bad for NXT and b) they won't win the ratings at some point. If they go heavy on promotion of WWE talent appearing next week (Say a Reigns or Bryan or Becky) they could potentialy do over a mil.

AEW could well have a strong number next week coming off the PPV this Saturday too, so its all interesting (and good!) stuff.

Ekeke

No they didn't - Lawler said "what's going to happen on NXT on Wednesday" but there was no solid promise/promotion that talent was showing up, or what talent was showing up. Like I said, it was just heavily hinted at.

If WWE had ran adverts saying AJ Styles was going to be on NxT that probably would have made a difference

Taken from Reddit:

Week 1: AEW had 518k more viewers
Week 2: AEW had 350k more viewers
Week 3: AEW had 302k more viewers
Week 4: AEW had 265k more viewers
Week 5: AEW had 179k more viewers.
Week 6: AEW had 9k more viewers

I don't think its dreadful or anything for AEW - as they're still going strong, but yeah, bizarre to think that this is a) bad for NXT and b) they won't win the ratings at some point. If they go heavy on promotion of WWE talent appearing next week (Say a Reigns or Bryan or Becky) they could potentialy do over a mil.

AEW could well have a strong number next week coming off the PPV this Saturday too, so its all interesting (and good!) stuff.
For sure if a main eventer goes on NXT it'll do better, but I doubt they'll do much more than this (Styles). It was also in the first segment so it was all over social media

Andersons Dietician

TBF, quite a few WWE guys said 'never again'. Buddy Murphy tweeted 'never again'. I doubt a flight delay or mechanical issue would result in him tweeting that. Im sure there is something a bit more suspicious that happened but we will never know I guess.
Is he still engaged to Alexa Bliss because I could totally understand his frustrations of not being able to get home to her before she’s off to do whatever she has to do for Smackdown. :drool:

Ekeke

Is he still engaged to Alexa Bliss because I could totally understand his frustrations of not being able to get home to her before she’s off to do whatever she has to do for Smackdown. :drool:
Either they split up years ago, or it was a storyline from Total Divas only. She's said shes single so

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
First time ever I've actually payed for a ppv. Just bought Full Gear on fite TV. Will get the next one free too with the credits they give away.

Yagami

Good post resistant
As I said before, AEW losing viewers was inevitable. The spotty, no-selling matches, coupled with the "indy outlaw bullshit" may appeal to a certain demographic, but it will never attract the casuals, and a lot of casuals tuned in to see what AEW was about have already left.

I can't say I've enjoyed any of AEW's matches. The only stuff I've liked is Pac's commentary/promo, the segments involving Jericho, and Cody's promo.

First time ever I've actually payed for a ppv. Just bought Full Gear on fite TV. Will get the next one free too with the credits they give away.
How long have you been a wrestling fan if you don't mind me asking?

Ekeke

As I said before, AEW losing viewers was inevitable. The spotty, no-selling matches, coupled with the "indy outlaw bullshit" may appeal to a certain demographic, but it will never attract the casuals, and a lot of casuals tuned in to see what AEW was about have already left.

I can't say I've enjoyed any of AEW's matches. The only stuff I've liked is Pac's commentary/promo, the segments involving Jericho, and Cody's promo.

Its called Lucha and is very popular in mexico.

The Fiend is probably the most over main roster guy and all he does is no-sell. The casuals are loving him. You might have a point about the spotty stuff since Seth "2 dives in a row every match" Rollins has become the new Roman Reigns when it comes to top pushed face getting a heel reaction. But I'd say it works for some people too.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The two dives in a row is my most hated move right now in wrestling.

I fecking hate suicide dives in general. So overdone. A baseball slide impresses me more these days.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Its called Lucha and is very popular in mexico.
I know.

It was very popular in WCW, too. That's the thing, though. WCW knew that it'd only appeal to a certain audience, so they used that on the undercard with the cruiserweights, and the main eventers wrestled the typical American way. A bit like TNA did with the X Division.

Here in AEW, every match is of that ilk. Some variety would be nice.

The Fiend is probably the most over main roster guy and all he does is no-sell. The casuals are loving him. You might have a point about the spotty stuff since Seth "2 dives in a row every match" Rollins has become the new Roman Reigns when it comes to top pushed face getting a heel reaction. But I'd say it works for some people too.
The no selling aspect can work for big guys, sure. Wyatt is one of the bigger guys on the main roster now so it makes sense as it did with Kane, 'Taker, Big Show, etc.

However, when you have the smaller wrestlers hitting move after move, still moving around fast despite all the damage they've supposedly taken, kicking out of moves that should be the end considering how impressive and damaging they look, it takes you out of it.
The two dives in a row is my most hated move right now in wrestling.

I fecking hate suicide dives in general. So overdone. A baseball slide impresses me more these days.
Agreed. Especially as the suicide dives nowadays look so soft. Like, at least make it look like you're trying to hurt your opponent. I get that they need to be safe and whatnot, but if a move looks as fake and soft as every wrestlers suicide dive does now then I think it's better to just not do it.

Ekeke

I know.

It was very popular in WCW, too. That's the thing, though. WCW knew that it'd only appeal to a certain audience, so they used that on the undercard with the cruiserweights, and the main eventers wrestled the typical American way. A bit like TNA did with the X Division.

Here in AEW, every match is of that ilk. Some variety would be nice.

The no selling aspect can work for big guys, sure. Wyatt is one of the bigger guys on the main roster now so it makes sense as it did with Kane, 'Taker, Big Show, etc.

However, when you have the smaller wrestlers hitting move after move, still moving around fast despite all the damage they've supposedly taken, kicking out of moves that should be the end considering how impressive and damaging they look, it takes you out of it.

Agreed. Especially as the suicide dives nowadays look so soft. Like, at least make it look like you're trying to hurt your opponent. I get that they need to be safe and whatnot, but if a move looks as fake and soft as every wrestlers suicide dive does now then I think it's better to just not do it.
For AEW's audience, I think its the complete opposite. You have to remember that these guys all do the things all the old timers say you shouldnt do, and its worked for them. They built themselves from nothing and now they are EVPs at the 2nd biggest wrestling promotion in the US, 3rd in the world.

The audience they have cultivated via social media, years of indies, and work in mexico and japan see things more like the Young Bucks see things. And thats, if these guys are kicking out of moves that look like they hurt a lot it shows their toughness. Its not no-selling, its selling differently. Its a more sports, action, athletic and high paced style and its similar in Japan where the false finishes get over and build to a great final stretch. Most companies are doing this now, including NXT which is a super-indie style of show. Its just the main roster of WWE that still has the watered down style where it only takes a couple of moves to win.

Clearly you arent part of that audience, and that audience may be 800k people right now not 2 million like the WWE main roster, but given time it might get bigger than that 800-900k. So far thats exactly whats happened over their careers till this point. Because they have been very good at making new fans. There was more cross-over with UFC ppv viewership and the All In shows, than with WWE pay per views and the All In shows, so they have a different set of people they seem to be drawing in.

Its absolutely true that AEW features a bunch of talents who some of the wrestlers from 20 years ago will speak out against, about how they do things. But Rey Mysterio was laughed at when he first made his name. There are plenty of times in the past that people have been accused of killing the business, or doing too much. We now look at those people as wrestling legends like Dynamite Kid, Ricky Steamboat, Jushin Liger, Rey Mysterio and so on. Wrestling changes, the audience changes and variety is part of it. History says the people who cling to one thing being wrestling are eventually proven wrong. An example would be Cornette who said half of the AEW roster would never be in a big promotion or draw, and now they're wrestling in 14k arenas in the 2nd biggest promotion in the US. And while he still does amazing work himself when involved with promotions, they are doing better business than he was running territories doing it his way.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

I am exactly the causal you've described. Was into it massively when I was younger (I actually used to get tapes of ECW and Japan stuff from a trader), haven't really watched it for years and started watching again since it showed up on itv.

Renegade

The dives and no sells is really annoying, but I want AEW to succeed.

imagine if Rock,Triple H & Steve Ausitin were doing moonsaults and dives constantly in their matches. It just wouldn’t suit their character. The characters, facials and in ring story telling sell the matches.
Wish finishers would end 95% of matches too. I think AEW need to establish people’s finishers and secondary finishers a bit more too.

SparkedIntoLife

Totally agree with @Yagami. There's something fresh and interesting about AEW but largely I'm uninvested. It seems to be long 20 minute fast paced, high flying matches without much break. These are fine once in a while but not on weekly TV involving lower card wrestlers who are invariably not given much characterisation or mic time.

I'm part of a few online wrestling forums and the hostility when these opinions are shared is pretty disgusting. Some of these smart mark fans don't seem to be able to accept AEW is anything but perfect.

Although I enjoy NWA and Impact, I still think there's a place for a modern day Attitude Era style product (without the constant run ins, devaluing of titles and Jerry Springer type trash). If I was a rich wrestling fan like Tony Khan, I'd immediately sign Killer Kross and Eli Drake and build the roster around this sort of talent - great on the mic, look like a star, good characters. I'd keep match lengths to 5 mins on average, work to build emotional investment in characters and keep the flippy, tiny wrestlers to a special attraction like WCW did with Cruiserweights. Indie haw haw BS would be kept to a minimum. I'd even sign Enzo despite the fact he's poor in the ring and might be a headache backstage.

The inherent problem with this approach is it'd take longer to build a core audience as the fans I'd be wanting to appeal to (i.e. mainstream not hardcore smart marks) mostly checked out long ago or don't look beyond WWE.

Sylar

The effect of near falls for me is not the same when theres lockout after kickout match after match.

I do agree it's hard to describe finishers for a few of AEW guys

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Essentially AEW needs more variety long term for people to remain invested.

Ekeke

Essentially AEW needs more variety long term for people to remain invested.
I'd say they have the most variety due to how often they do all these different matches and thats one of their main gimmicks and thought processes behind recruiting their roster. Serious matches, comedy, hardcore, lucha, time limit draws. Most of them on the same card

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think the Baker/Priestley storyline is silly. Talking about how she actually hurt Britt with that shitty "shoot/stiff" terminology.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
I think the Baker/Priestley storyline is silly. Talking about how she actually hurt Britt with that shitty "shoot/stiff" terminology.
What's gone on here? I glanced at people complaining non r/SC about breaking kayfabe but not seen what happened myself.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
What's gone on here? I glanced at people complaining non r/SC about breaking kayfabe but not seen what happened myself.
I think Priestley concussed her with a kick to the head at Fyter Fest.

Instead of playing it kayfabe and just saying she injured her, they're doing this shoot "Britt should learn to protect herself" nonsense.

I hate shoot stuff, to be honest. It's so fecking lazy and shows that you've got nothing creatively so you pull back the curtain a little hoping people will react to it.

Ekeke

I'm not a fan of Britt Baker but I don't mind mixing reality and kayfabe. Its been done for a long time in wrestling, as long as its not like WCW talking on shows about inside stuff... That was some of the stuff that killed them. Or the Roman Reigns leukemia exploitation stuff. All companies mix in real stuff with storylines.

Ekeke

One thing I will say though, if I didnt know if I wanted to watch the pay per view, seeing Britt Baker on the pre-show certainly isnt going to get me to watch it... Kong saves it

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Sure, thats why she was the previous champion in the top womens wrestling company in the world. She's used to facing people ten times better than Baker though
I mean, I get your point but holding a top strap doesn't necessarily make you good.