Thomas Cook travel - collapsed

JoaquinJoaquin

Can you really find a holiday cheaper by booking everything separately? I've just done Gran Caneria with Tui for under £900, flights, hotel and transfers. Granted it was self catering, but I prefer that anyway.
Depends where you go. Long haul like New York i've found cheaper doing it on my own, but places like Spain I find it much easier to use an agent.

Red Star One

I'm not British and I've never used a travel agency to book my holidays, I got to know about Thomas Cook only because they were on City's shirts. Do I need to add I never really liked the company after that?

Drifter

American
And another one bites the dust . In this case Thomas Cook never moved with the times relying on the name. The closure of these high st shops is accelerating with 2,400 gone in 2018 alone. Online is where it is now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Thread/

marktan

I think they should've been saved personally. It'll cost the government £600m to repatriate the flights, and loads of people will miss out on pre-booked flights and packages. Instead just give it the £200m baillout and help oversee a restructuring to be more up with the times. Now it's just waste for everyone.

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Crazy that the upper management took huge bonuses a few months ago and they must have known the company was in trouble. It is always the customer and the workers who get stung while those at the top siphon off their cut months in advance.

As for going bust overnight they would have known months in advance about the situation but kept their mouths shut and carried on taking bookings and people’s money. Not just a few quid but would have been thousands per booking earning cash in their bank.

Too many shareholders and management taking out of the pot and they have killed the golden goose now.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think they should've been saved personally. It'll cost the government £600m to repatriate the flights, and loads of people will miss out on pre-booked flights and packages. Instead just give it the £200m baillout and help oversee a restructuring to be more up with the times. Now it's just waste for everyone.
Thenfigure i saw to repatriate the flights was £100m. Also i read the company needed another £900m from a foreign source which collage and the proposed bailout figure wouldn't have been enough.
There is no point bailing out a business model that has no future.

marktan

Thenfigure i saw to repatriate the flights was £100m. Also i read the company needed another £900m from a foreign source which collage and the proposed bailout figure wouldn't have been enough.
There is no point bailing out a business model that has no future.
They had the £900m already agreed, the creditors just wanted £200m from the british government as a guarantee. When Monarch failed the bill to the taxpayer was in the hundreds of millions I believe.

The figure that was quoted was £600m to repatriate all the flights, but some of the package holidays are insured by Atos which would lower that figure.

Either way a bit ridiculous that the UK taxpayer loses out on hundreds of millions each time a travel agent or airline goes bust.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They had the £900m already agreed, the creditors just wanted £200m from the british government as a guarantee. When Monarch failed the bill to the taxpayer was in the hundreds of millions I believe.

The figure that was quoted was £600m to repatriate all the flights, but some of the package holidays are insured by Atos which would lower that figure.

Either way a bit ridiculous that the UK taxpayer loses out on hundreds of millions each time a travel agent or airline goes bust.
Yeah but at least they're paying their fair share of tax right?

eggwithsideburns

:(

Damn that sucks. Have they indicated on when/if you'll receive a full refund?
I have been lucky as it was only my flights that were with Thomas Cook and I spoke to TUI today and I still get to go on my holiday but on the 7th of Oct instead now. I feel sorry for all the people who don't get to go on their holidays though, I think they will get refunds but its the stress of it and also the disappointment of not going on holiday.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is TUI at risk of going the same way anytime soon? Thinking of booking a holiday with them for next year.

F-Red

Instead just give it the £200m baillout and help oversee a restructuring to be more up with the times. Now it's just waste for everyone.
They had debts of £1.7bn - bailing them out would be pissing money against the wall.

As for going bust overnight they would have known months in advance about the situation but kept their mouths shut and carried on taking bookings and people’s money. Not just a few quid but would have been thousands per booking earning cash in their bank.
They've been a growing concern for years. This was more about when, not if.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There have been various warnings over the state of the company. There was talk in May of their shares being worthless because of the crippling debt that looked likely to put them under.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Well, TUI would get Thomas cook customers I guess now, so they might survive for a while?

Marcelinho87

Saved for what? The business model is failing.. it would have prolonged their suffering is all.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The CAA has apparently chartered 40 planes to get people back from abroad.

I don't get it, Thomas Cook has a fleet of aircraft, which are all in the right places to carry on scheduled flights. Why not use them over the next couple of week to get people home, and save the cost of chartering aircraft from a 3rd party. Seems obvious to me, what am I missing?
If TC no longer exists then insurance policies etc are kaput so I’d imagine it’s something like that

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Can you really find a holiday cheaper by booking everything separately? I've just done Gran Caneria with Tui for under £900, flights, hotel and transfers. Granted it was self catering, but I prefer that anyway.
Not in a comparable time, from my experience. I prefer the travel Office cause I want to get the Job done quickly. Also insurance-wise you are much better off, at least according to German law.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Is TUI at risk of going the same way anytime soon? Thinking of booking a holiday with them for next year.
Not soonreally. They had a decent Profit 2018 and are still expecting positive, albeit much lower profits this year.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Crazy that the upper management took huge bonuses a few months ago and they must have known the company was in trouble. It is always the customer and the workers who get stung while those at the top siphon off their cut months in advance.

Too many shareholders and management taking out of the pot and they have killed the golden goose now.
Way of the world mate, rich cnuts get richer and walk away Scot free and the little guy gets shafted. Shit gets passed downwards until someone has no choice but to eat it.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
WHEN you book a holiday, the ATOL holder or their agent must give you a certificate confirming you are ATOL protected as soon as you hand over any money - including a deposit - for a holiday or flight.

Make sure you obtain and keep all the relevant paperwork in case you need to make a claim.

But be aware, the protection only covers British-based firms, so it's vital to check. When lowcostholidays went bust in 2016, customers weren't protected by ATOL because the company had moved to Spain in 2013.

Some travel companies display the ATOL logo on their websites even though they don't offer financial protection.

To check it's genuine, look for a number on the logo and check it out on the CAA's website.

You should be wary if the travel provider has no ATOL number, or if the number doesn't have four or five digits.

If you aren't sure about the website, don't book through it.

Another key term Brits should be aware of is ABTA. While ATOL protects flight-based packages, ABTA protects everything else such as cruise or self-drive trips.
Some info there about ATOL and ABTA. Had a friend who worked for a travel agency and consequently it was drummed into us to always make sure we were ATOL/ABTA protected. Never travelled without it.

Fully Fledged

I don't get it, Thomas Cook has a fleet of aircraft, which are all in the right places to carry on scheduled flights. Why not use them over the next couple of week to get people home, and save the cost of chartering aircraft from a 3rd party. Seems obvious to me, what am I missing?
Thomas Cook no longer has a fleet They were impounded.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
If TC no longer exists then insurance policies etc are kaput so I’d imagine it’s something like that
I know. That is why I said they will able to survive a bit longer.

But if they still have profits, maybe they adapted a bit better than TC

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Booking holidays on the internet has been around 20 years, ffs! They should have been one of the first to get online.
Longer really when you think about it, pre-internet my old man would always use teletext holidays, i remember him finding a fortnight in Tunisia For four of us half board including flights and transfers for around £500 once.

Hughes35

Was anybody also utterly gobsmacked by the figure of 150,000 people currently on holiday with Thomas cook?

150,000 people is an awful lot of people who have been ripped off and clearly don't shop around for deals. It's no wonder so many people have crippling debts.

Aircraft licences and insurance were all void the minute they went under.

I think you have misread. 60m was the figure to cover Monarch, TC will be around 100m. Much of which will be covered by the ATOL fund that all tour operators pay into. Its at around 170m right now.

Even of the government did bail them out they would be back here again in a few years. You can't bail out every failing business.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Aircraft licences and insurance were all void the minute they went under.
Except that the company has not disappeared, it has ceased to trade. It is still a legal entity. Liquidators will come in and sell its, considerable, assets to repay a portion of the creditors, but there is still £1.5B hole in the balance sheet.

The other thing, about impounding the aircraft, does not make sense either. The costs of bringing everyone back to where they are supposed to be are borne either by ATOL or HM Govt, not the company. It's a waste of money to charter aircraft when you have a perfectly good fleet already available, where all you have to pay for is fuel, landing fees & cabin crew.

Tarrou

Was anybody also utterly gobsmacked by the figure of 150,000 people currently on holiday with Thomas cook?

150,000 people is an awful lot of people who have been ripped off and clearly don't shop around for deals. It's no wonder so many people have crippling debts.
my first thought was how the feck did they go bust if that many people are on one of their holidays in September?

you'd think they were raking it in

Except that the company has not disappeared, it has ceased to trade. It is still a legal entity. Liquidators will come in and sell its, considerable, assets to repay a portion of the creditors, but there is still £1.5B hole in the balance sheet.

The other thing, about impounding the aircraft, does not make sense either. The costs of bringing everyone back to where they are supposed to be are borne either by ATOL or HM Govt, not the company. It's a waste of money to charter aircraft when you have a perfectly good fleet already available, where all you have to pay for is fuel, landing fees & cabin crew.
Putting the company into liquidation is the same thing as disappearing. Licences and insurance are now invalid.

Plus, many aircraft have been impounded by airports over unpaid fees, and Thomas Cook only owns a handful of its fleet. The rest are leased and upon bankruptcy went back into the hands of their owners.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Putting the company into liquidation is the same thing as disappearing. Licences and insurance are now invalid.

Plus, many aircraft have been impounded by airports over unpaid fees, and Thomas Cook only owns a handful of its fleet. The rest are leased and upon bankruptcy went back into the hands of their owners.
I doesn't work like that, you can't just impound stuff that doesn't belong to you. I don't even think a liquidator has been appointed yet. Nothing is invalidated which as already been paid for.

You make it sound like some sort of free for all.

The Firestarter

150K is only the number of british people. With other nationalities it was around 600K. Madness really.

I doesn't work like that, you can't just impound stuff that doesn't belong to you. I don't even think a liquidator has been appointed yet. Nothing is invalidated which as already been paid for.

You make it sound like some sort of free for all.
You might disagree but it doesn't mean you are right.

Airlines are not like other businesses. The regulations around operating them see to that.

Many of the aircraft have been impounded. Some airports are parking vehicles in front of them so they can't go anywhere.
The aircraft operating certificates are invalid as they no longer have staff to operate and maintain them safely, same for the insurance cover.
Many of the aircraft owners will be in the process of taking back possession.

It's all a big mess and will take weeks to unravel. The stranded travellers need repatriating now.