Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

MF1138

Surely Chelsea should have gotten their structure in place before sacking the manager and appointing a new one. Particularly if they are looking for a long term option. Get your football people in position and have them make the football decisions.

They seem to be doing things the Ed Woodward way right now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Will definitely laugh at Chelsea when this inevitably backfires. That Boehly guy doesn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable. Sounds like Chelsea's very own glazer

The Urban Goose

Since taking over from Roman Abramovich, Boehly has been hands-on involved in everything that is happening at Chelsea.

He is literally the last person to leave Stamford Bridge after every home game and makes sure he goes into the dressing room to speak to players after games to see if they are getting on with the manager.
What a meddling cvnt
Wow. If that's true, they're screwed.

Good.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Tuchel is fecked at big clubs imo. He should stick to mid tier clubs that have less volatile owners, since he himself is a volatile manager.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:lol: god don’t remind me of fecking Therrien
:lol:

To be fair, he has been a good head coach but that makes things even more challenging for fans when things go wrong. A bit like having to deal with Mourinho.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Tuchel a decent manager who won the champions league for them despite not having the best team.

Deserved better.
Yep, especially when they were about to go bust and there was hype we wanted him. Said he would drive a 7 seater across Europe If he had to.

C'est Moi Cantona

Wouldn't have complained at all if we'd made a move for Tuchel during the clubs forced sale earlier this year, but he looked untouchable at the time, and it seemed impossible even if we wanted it to happen.

Funny how these things work out, and also funny how these sort of managers are never free agents when we need one ourselves.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not necessarily. Very much depends on how the manager handles big names and sets up the side.
A Brighton managers survives quite easily with a 30% win rate in the premier league. A Chelsea manager won't ever.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Jaysus they're 6th after 6 games and 3 pts outside the top 4 all while being without a recognised striker which is hardly Tuchel's fault. Seems a bizarre decision so early in the season.
New owners nearly always want their own man in the job, and Tuchel was acting like a man who wanted out.

He was playing his best attacker at CB and also insisted on playing Mount out of position.

He’s a really good coach but it had run it’s course.

justsomebloke

Tuchel had difficulties with Dortmund top management, he had difficulties with PSG top management, despite taking them to a CL final, and he’s had difficulties with Chelsea owners now.

I think he’s a damn fine tactician, excellent at organizing a side, but he’s the new Conte, isn’t he? He only sees his player’s faults, not their strengths, and those faults become more pronounced in his mind, the longer he spends with them.
I don't know about that, but he's definitely in danger of acquiring a reputation as the sort of manager who'll inevitably fall out with the owners. That tends to cost you, at least with the biggest clubs.

justsomebloke

Jaysus they're 6th after 6 games and 3 pts outside the top 4 all while being without a recognised striker which is hardly Tuchel's fault. Seems a bizarre decision so early in the season.
Well, I do think they are worse off than you can read out of the table alone. Arguably, they have dropped more bad points than any other team. Fell flat in the first CL game, looked awful in the pre-season and didn't finish last season well either. It's looked on the downturn for a while.

But apparently the main thing is his relationship with Boehly broke down. Over lots of things besides coaching, with all the outgoings on the management side this summer it seems Boehly has been relying heavily on him for things that would normally have been handled by Granovskaia, Buck, Cech etc.

I'm hoping they'll give Potter a chance. It'd be so interesting to see what he can do with a big 6 club.

Red Star One

Thomas Tuchel’s odd, briefly brilliant reign ends in familiar Chelsea sacking | Chelsea | The Guardian

Barney Ronay. :) This feels like home, safety, a club coming back to what they know. Nature is healing itself.
Love reading him, great piece as always and chuckled at:
All Chelsea managers must enter a period of physical dissolution, appearing unshaven and haggard in stained tracksuit trousers, gimlet-eyed for the cameras. It certainly feels like Tuchel got there ahead of time.

predator

Youth NITK
I like Tuchel. Great manager with a sense of humour as well which was fun to watch in his interviews.

Shame really because he was the only thing I liked about Chelsea. I hope they get screwed over.

DSG

Utter rubbish that, the form of so many players under him compared to under Lampard was massively different. Someone like Rudiger played his best football under Tuchel
Agree, he was outstanding after coming in and getting more from his team when taking over from Lampard. Mount was outstanding over the first 18 months of Tuchel’s tenure. So why hasn’t he been able to sustain performance levels? He’s demanding for everyone around him. Is it 100% the failure of Lukaku and Werner that they didn’t perform up to expectations? That’s 150m of cheddar that are dead assets… We don’t know the whole story, we just know that both Dortmund and PSG fired Tuchel due to difficult relationships with ownership. Now another?

why is it that both Klopp, Ancelotti and Guardiola can be so demanding yet maintain a calm, positive dressing room, yet Conte and Tuchel have well documented issues with management and players?

Withnail

New owners nearly always want their own man in the job, and Tuchel was acting like a man who wanted out.

He was playing his best attacker at CB and also insisted on playing Mount out of position.

He’s a really good coach but it had run it’s course.
Well, I do think they are worse off than you can read out of the table alone. Arguably, they have dropped more bad points than any other team. Fell flat in the first CL game, looked awful in the pre-season and didn't finish last season well either. It's looked on the downturn for a while.

But apparently the main thing is his relationship with Boehly broke down. Over lots of things besides coaching, with all the outgoings on the management side this summer it seems Boehly has been relying heavily on him for things that would normally have been handled by Granovskaia, Buck, Cech etc.

I'm hoping they'll give Potter a chance. It'd be so interesting to see what he can do with a big 6 club.
Fair enough lads. I hadn't been paying enough attention. I reckon that could be a bit of a poisoned chalice for Potter. He's got a good setup at Brighton and deserves a move up but if he's going to be expected to be relied on heavily by a clueless owner as @justsomebloke is suggesting it might not be the best move.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Agree, he was outstanding after coming in and getting more from his team when taking over from Lampard. Mount was outstanding over the first 18 months of Tuchel’s tenure. So why hasn’t he been able to sustain performance levels? He’s demanding for everyone around him. Is it 100% the failure of Lukaku and Werner that they didn’t perform up to expectations? That’s 150m of cheddar that are dead assets… We don’t know the whole story, we just know that both Dortmund and PSG fired Tuchel due to difficult relationships with ownership. Now another?

why is it that both Klopp, Ancelotti and Guardiola can be so demanding yet maintain a calm, positive dressing room, yet Conte and Tuchel have well documented issues with management and players?
To me yeah. Chelsea's recruitment has been poor for a while now, Ziyech, Werner, Havertz, Lukaku none of them are of the level that allows you to challenge for a title and I don't think the signings made this summer elevate them either. I've just gone back to 2016 and the amount of shite Chelsea have bought since then with only around 5 players who can be considered a success for more than just the odd season

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Sad to see him gone. Hope the club did this after serious thinking of all possibilities. It's only five days after the transfer window closed.

Look like proper mugs. I am really felt betrayed by this club. Should never invest any emotional attachment to any manager this club appoints.

BarryWinks

So busy with work barely had time to check the phone, saw a notification about Tuchel's last game and thought "clickbait nonsense", and then I checked this thread....:eek:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Tuchel is fecked at big clubs imo. He should stick to mid tier clubs that have less volatile owners, since he himself is a volatile manager.
He seems to go mental whenever it comes to transfers. Fell out with everyone at Dortmund because he wanted Oliver Torres. Bit harder to judge at PSG, but at Chelsea there was Lukaku last summer and this summer he looked like he wanted to do himself (or someone else in).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Tuchel's relationship with Max is said to have been a topic among players in the build up to his downfall at Chelsea. The squad is said to have been discussing how his marriage had fallen apart and the fact he had a younger girlfriend.

According to The Independent, this transformed the squad's perception of their manager. However, it is not the only reason Tuchel lost control of the dressing room at Chelsea.
You don't say :lol:

Fecking hell. Gutter journalism is alive and kicking.

city-puma

Isn't this just rumours? Because it is even more stupid by them if that was true. Let managers be managers.
It seems more than likely the actual truth. It perfectly explains why Ronaldo announced he wants to leave. Chelsea’s new owner seems a pure businessman who seeks profit more than anything else. This purchase is just another investment in sports for him to make profits maximized.

NewYorkRed

It seems more than likely the actual truth. It perfectly explains why Ronaldo announced he wants to leave. Chelsea’s new owner seems a pure businessman who seeks profit more than anything else. This purchase is just another investment in sports for him to make profits maximized.
As opposed to, what exactly? Unless you want Oil money, what exactly should an owner want to do? You think if we got British ownership, the owner wouldn’t want to maximize profits? Sure they might be more in tune with the needs of the club from a sporting perspective but make no mistake, the bottom line is the same for any reasonable owner not backed by state money.

city-puma

As opposed to, what exactly? Unless you want Oil money, what exactly should an owner want to do? You think if we got British ownership, the owner wouldn’t want to maximize profits? Sure they might be more in tune with the needs of the club from a sporting perspective but make no mistake, the bottom line is the same for any reasonable owner not backed by state money.
There are many owners treating their football clubs as part of communities, societies, philanthropy, etc.

DSG

To me yeah. Chelsea's recruitment has been poor for a while now, Ziyech, Werner, Havertz, Lukaku none of them are of the level that allows you to challenge for a title and I don't think the signings made this summer elevate them either. I've just gone back to 2016 and the amount of shite Chelsea have bought since then with only around 5 players who can be considered a success for more than just the odd season
I’m more into shades of gray on this one. Was it 100% their fault? No, I think the manager needs to make adjustments to fit his talent to some extent. They certainly didn’t help themselves, but tactics should reflect the squad’s strengths and weaknesses.

Agree with Ziyech… no end product. But generally, Chelsea have bought pretty well. Havertz is class, but they are playing him in the wrong position, James, Chilwell, Koulibaly, Silva, Kante, Jorginho… They’ve won the most trophies of any English team since Abramovich took over and had a very efficient acquisitions team, both at youth and senior levels.

Regarding Tuchel’s sacking…. You can only piss your boss off so many times before they say it’s not worth it. The minute results falter, they think, “why put up with this clown”? That’s in every industry by the way. Tuchel has been known to be very difficult to work with, enough so that everyone he’s worked for has mentioned it openly.

DSG

There are many owners treating their football clubs as part of communities, societies, philanthropy, etc.
Boehly is tied in with Clear Lake Capital, a private equity firm. They have limited partners that sign over a wad of cash for these guys to manage. They have 72 billion under management. Their limited partners just want profit.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
So much speculation presented as fact.

Boehly and Clearlake, people with zero football background, gave unlimited power in the window to a Champions League-winning coach - quelle horreur!
Answer:
The problem isnt that they tried to give him that authority. The problem is he complained about it incessantly, and only provided that input in selective situations. In other situations he gave them completely misguided guidance: “We are completely fine in midfield. We have almost too many midfielders” .. remember that gem? Then right before the window Tuchel getting rid of Gilmour. On all our content providers the story that day was that Tuchel refused to play him, the sale took Boehly by surprise, people were saying he was going to stop it, and nix the sale. It went through and we were scrambling for a midfielder. The newspapers want to make EVERY story about Ronaldo. Chelsea fans paying attention will know the midfield issue was the final straw. Tuchel simply doesn’t communicate well. It may not be “his job” as he said. But he was asked to do it, and said yes, then didn’t follow through. The Ronaldo thing is particularly stupid because Boehly agreed to not go with Ronaldo, and decided to move on from Tuchel before ever seeing Aubamayang. And … Ronaldo has done nothing to make Boehly pine in that interim. No, it was the midfield issue and communication that did it most likely.

He never liked the idea of being pressured into using someone else’s coaching choice to begin with, but he was essentially convinced he had to give Tuchel a chance. I know this not just because of the various leaked Chelsea stories after the sale, but because he went through the same thing with Mattingly at the Dodgers. Mattingly was the incumbent manager, and Royalty in baseball. Boehly didn’t like anything about how he approached the team, the farm system, etc, but he let it drag out for years. It never got better. He switched to someone he wanted and has been with the same manager since (6 years). This is like Deja Vu for him.

I guarantee he threw up in his mouth a little when Tuchel said “1-0, 2-0, 1-0, this SHOULD be ENOUGH”. Win or lose I don’t feel like that is what Clearlake wants from Chelsea. We looked worse than our results said. United had an entirely new coach and new players . Ten Hag integrated Eriksen et Al almost immediately and look like they have a real idea behind them. We weren’t getting that.
You don't know any of that
*Answer:
If you think this you obviously only read “big headline” Chelsea news. All the stuff I talked about have been points of Chelsea fan discussion *

Yeah, the players stopped playing for him. He didn't become a bad coach overnight - it's not like he lost the ability to coach, form a coherent plan, or organize a side. It's the players who threw him under the bus! This is a power struggle - your new players got 6-7 year contracts and suddenly feel untouchable. If the player is the asset, the coach is dispensable.
*The man played Mount as one of his double 6’s, with Azpi playing right behind him, and Fofana tasked with going up field. Halfway through one game he switched to essentially a 4 1 5 with RLC the only shield for the backline. If he didn’t forget how to coach he did a pretty good impression*

Then why didn't they
*They have now confirmed this has been in the works since well before the Zagreb match, which should be obvious to anyone watching how fast it is moving*
I assumed with the coloring you wanted me to fill in the answers. What a day to have a post limit.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
A few days ago he was a big favourite with all our Chelsea fans too. Now they all say they wanted rid of him (except @WeePat)

Sad really as he was brilliant during the Russia/Roman ownership distraction and managed to get them to top 4 along with the two cup finals.

Short memories some have.
You keep saying this, could you please quote the Chelsea fans that wanted him gone?

MuFc_1992

What I don't get is why is Arteta still praised after 3 years of complete mediocrity, whilst we were mocked under Mourinho when he finished 2nd whilst winning Europa League and Carabao cup in the same season. Sure, he had his usual meltdown and deserved to get sacked but it's insane to me that he was seen by many as a failure at united whilst arteta with a bunch of 5th, 6th place finishes and a fecking fa in 3 years cup gets a pass.

But seriously, what is it about Arteta that lets him get away with murder? Those kind of results and finishes over 3 seasons at any other top 6 club and you'd be a laughing stock.
I think it the sense of general progression and how his team seems to be getting better every season. It was the other way around with Ole and Jose.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
You keep saying this, could you please quote the Chelsea fans that wanted him gone?
Actually find that fans of every other club kept saying he will/should get fired and now that it’s actually happened they put on fake empathy for Tuchel. It’s totally ludicrous. You can actually include those fools on the Chelsea forum too for the same thing.

I’ve never had a bad word to say about Tuchel, loved the guy. But no one can argue that after 7 months of inept displays and a badly planned preseason that it’s a shock that he lost his job. The timing is the only unusual part about it.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
Actually find that fans of every other club kept saying he will/should get fired and now that it’s actually happened they put on fake empathy for Tuchel. It’s totally ludicrous. You can actually include those fools on the Chelsea forum too for the same thing.

I’ve never had a bad word to say about Tuchel, loved the guy. But no one can argue that after 7 months of inept displays and a badly planned preseason that it’s a shock that he lost his job. The timing is the only unusual part about it.
I respect Tuchel and even after the game on Tuesday I said he is lucky Roman was not the owner because our players just standing giving little effort would have had him sacked by Roman. There is a large difference between that and wanting him sacked. I can understand it after the terrible play at the end of the season, throwing the players under the bus during the summer, and then the start of the season. I really didn’t see Boehly doing it so quickly. I was surprised for sure. When he made the statement that the club was not performing because he has the same players… it was a turning point… the same players that won the UCL for him. I did think he would have more time to turn it around, but I understand why it was done.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
*Raises hand*
Not so much that I wanted him gone, but more that I thought he should and would go.

There are a variety of reasons, which I’ve explained in other threads, but the fact is he didn’t align with what they want, and he wasn’t their hire. That matters. It just does. But it matters more so when there are serious philosophical reasons involved.

Imagine if I told you the next coach wouldn’t have a position in how he lined up for Reece James? Most of you would go ballistic. Well, I think they feel the same way about Mount.

Tuchel wanted to go in a direction Mount doesn’t fit in. If you play him in a position he can play and fails that is one thing, but moving to a double 6 setup meant he had to play as one of the forward attackers. It didn’t work. They played him as one of the 6’s … that didn’t work. He would be ok with Kante back. Kante hid the flaws of playing Jorgihno AND Mount in Tuchels system. But unless there’s a major breakthrough in negotiations over salary, Kante might not be back after his latest injury once the Winter window hits.

Im not here to argue whether Mount is worthy of this type of consideration, but it is definitely at least one factor. Things started to build up steam as soon as Mounts contract negotiations started.

We needed a different player in midfield. I’m sure Clearlake were told Gilmour could be that guy when Kante wasn’t available. Tuchel tells them we are set in midfield. Then he says right at the end of the window that he’s essentially not going to play Gilmour (after he was given a squad number), and sanctioned his sale. We saw on Football Therapy, Chelsea Tv, and other sites deadline day reports of how mad Boehly was, and that he was trying to block the sale, both at least an hour before the “shock” sale was announced. Unless Tuchel was willing to play Zakaria, or let Chalobah occupy the middle and take up positions in the midfield, Mount was looking at consignment to sub at least until Kante returned.

There are a lot of other issues, but that certainly seems like a major one.

I don’t think they wanted to have an incumbent manager forced on them to begin with. But one you have communication and trust issues with?