Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

JSArsenal

How has he been sacked but Arteta managed to survive the last two seasons?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I remember when I was bantering with Arsenal fans about Lampard being the better of the two. Arteta not only outlasted Lampard but his successor too. We’re just two very different clubs run in very different ways.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I made excuses for the team performances towards the end of last season due to the sanctions, Lukaku etc but they've looked terrible every time I've watched them (apart from the Spurs game, where they were very good) this season and I think the sacking is probably deserved overall.

Wing Attack Plan R

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Weird to see a manager sacked who was wanted by many in our own ranks, and a manager who is actually pretty good. Chelsea’s transfers did him in, the familiar story. I can only hope Chelsea compound their nosedive by bringing in another temporary shit manager. John Terry might be up for it.

justsomebloke

This doesn't reflect entirely well on Boehly, I think. Sacked most of the key management, and then has to sack the manager 6 games into the season. That doesn't look like good handling of the transitional situation.

That being said, Tuchel has been looking increasingly out of control, and the downturn really goes back to late last season. Still a big surprise though. That he'd be gone before Rodgers or Lampard, I never would have thought it.

Chelsea is MAD

I am not angry that we sacked Tuchel, I thought it was inevitable it would happen with whats happened half of last year and the start we have now. The madness is that we bought 300m worth of players with his blessing for squad. Thats the true madness in all of this.

RedDevilRoshi

I still find it incredible that they wanted Ronaldo and Boehly fell out with the coach over it, when the guy was rejected by just about every major club in Europe this summer and started the season behind Elanga at United. Anyone who knew a dime about football knew that would be a terrible buy, cept the guy currently rebuilding Chelsea apparently.
Wasn’t Tuchel on board with signing Ronaldo but was talked out of it by Rangnick?

Giggsyking

That's not how a buyout clause works.
FFS, I know how it works, I am talking about the dynamics of the relationship between him and the two clubs. How in practicality it will work. Chelsea will will ask for permission to talk to him, If Brighton refuses and Potter do that anyway by triggering his buyout contract, then Potter is bypassing his club, and that is a one way road for him in his relation with his club and and the fans.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Perceptions. Even when Arsenal were doing atrociously, Arteta somehow gave off this notion to a lot of the media [and the Arsenal fanbase] to "Trust the Process".

city-puma

Global radio stations saying Brighton have given them permission to talk to Potter - sounds like preparations must have been under way for a while so it's odd they let him splurge all that money just a few days ago... mind you one of those was Cucurella so I hope he didn't upset Potter on the way out otherwise he's going to be playing with the reserves for a while ha ha
Considering how well Brighton runs, they must have prepared for the situation like this. Interesting to see who they will go for as replacement. There are many exciting new generation of managers but it’s always hard to know if they can make the step up.

santeria13

Sublemon
What I don't get is why is Arteta still praised after 3 years of complete mediocrity, whilst we were mocked under Mourinho when he finished 2nd whilst winning Europa League and Carabao cup in the same season. Sure, he had his usual meltdown and deserved to get sacked but it's insane to me that he was seen by many as a failure at united whilst arteta with a bunch of 5th, 6th place finishes and a fecking fa in 3 years cup gets a pass.

But seriously, what is it about Arteta that lets him get away with murder? Those kind of results and finishes over 3 seasons at any other top 6 club and you'd be a laughing stock.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
Several times I have written here about the strange correlation between what Tuchel has been doing with his personal life and his professional performance.

The second part of last season was already a steep drop in performance and this year was just shameful.
It was already unbearable to watch a Chelsea game.

His head was not focused on the job and the responsibility he had.

He has a great talent.
He won great titles with Chelsea.
When and if he leaves this phase of teenage Latin loves he can become an elite coach again.

As for Todd and everything else, a sea of doubt, nobody knows anything about them.

It's possible that they'll still have to butt heads until they understand what they've gotten themselves into.

Or we may have a stroke of luck and a shortcut to success.

The most important thing is to be able to see someone committed to the team again and enjoy watching a football game of my team.

Reactions: Cheimoon

TheReligion

Abusive
Funny how quickly things change. A year ago he was a big favourite on here.
A few days ago he was a big favourite with all our Chelsea fans too. Now they all say they wanted rid of him (except @WeePat)

Sad really as he was brilliant during the Russia/Roman ownership distraction and managed to get them to top 4 along with the two cup finals.

Short memories some have.

Tallis

I think it’s the right decision. Tuchel is a 2 season manager. He started well at PsG and was pathetic towards the end

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He has a 60% win rate as Chelsea manager. Potter (who I do rate) has just over 30% at Brighton. Not sure he's ready to make that step up to what managing Chelsea requires.

I feel like Chelsea's ownership has made a big mistake here.

Suedesi

So much speculation presented as fact.

We’ll that’s not fair. New Owners generally get to pick the people that lead their team. They could have gone a different direction right away. But instead they tried to give him nearly unlimited power in the window. He complained about it, and then he threw tantrums.
Boehly and Clearlake, people with zero football background, gave unlimited power in the window to a Champions League-winning coach - quelle horreur!
They are rebuilding the entire organization, from the scouting department on up. And I dont think their DoF candidates would want Tuchel either. They went out of their way to extend a hand and he kept biting it.
You don't know any of that

Forget results, if you watched us play: the negativity, the disorganization, the seeming lack of a coherent plan, the manic behavior … would YOU want him?
Yeah, the players stopped playing for him. He didn't become a bad coach overnight - it's not like he lost the ability to coach, form a coherent plan, or organize a side. It's the players who threw him under the bus! This is a power struggle - your new players got 6-7 year contracts and suddenly feel untouchable. If the player is the asset, the coach is dispensable.
Tuchel has worn out his welcome nearly everywhere he’s been for similar reasons. Clearlake has a track record of extreme patience with their managers. But Tuchel isn’t THEIR manager. And the fact they still backed him SO much … they practically begged him to win them over. But Tuchel couldn’t help himself. He reverted to form and pouted over every tiny detail and wire down everyone around him mentally.
Then why didn't they get rid of Tuchel in May, hire THEIR coach, and conduct the transfer strategy accordingly? What if the new coach doesn't like Fofana, Aubameyang, Koulibabaly, etc, are they getting sold?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He has a 60% win rate as Chelsea manager. Potter (who I do rate) has just over 30% at Brighton. Not sure he's ready to make that step up to what managing Chelsea requires.

I feel like Chelsea's ownership has made a big mistake here.
Tbf context is very important. It's Brighton and they weren't as feared team as they are now, under Potter.

They were unlucky in many games and it's an ongoing joke with Brighton and XG model accounts.

DSG

This doesn't reflect entirely well on Boehly, I think. Sacked most of the key management, and then has to sack the manager 6 games into the season. That doesn't look like good handling of the transitional situation.

That being said, Tuchel has been looking increasingly out of control, and the downturn really goes back to late last season. Still a big surprise though. That he'd be gone before Rodgers or Lampard, I never would have thought it.
Tuchel had difficulties with Dortmund top management, he had difficulties with PSG top management, despite taking them to a CL final, and he’s had difficulties with Chelsea owners now.

I think he’s a damn fine tactician, excellent at organizing a side, but he’s the new Conte, isn’t he? He only sees his player’s faults, not their strengths, and those faults become more pronounced in his mind, the longer he spends with them.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I guess his maid in London will receive 1 million pounds any moment now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
A few days ago he was a big favourite with all our Chelsea fans too. Now they all say they wanted rid of him (except @WeePat)

Sad really as he was brilliant during the Russia/Roman ownership distraction and managed to get them to top 4 along with the two cup finals.

Short memories some have.
@WeePat isn't a gloryhunter or fickle. He has experienced Claude Julien and Michel Therrien. :angel:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Tuchel had difficulties with Dortmund top management, he had difficulties with PSG top management, despite taking them to a CL final, and he’s had difficulties with Chelsea owners now.

I think he’s a damn fine tactician, excellent at organizing a side, but he’s the new Conte, isn’t he? He only sees his player’s faults, not their strengths, and those faults become more pronounced in his mind, the longer he spends with them.
Yeah, he is an excellent coach but he can't let things go, if anything is done in a way that he specifically disprove he focuses on it. I haven't followed Chelsea closely since he joined them but in previous clubs one of the consequences was that he would change systems and tactics very often, sometimes several times within the first game. Now because his players are well trained it wasn't a disaster but it must be unsettling for them and if I remember correctly it was a grievance that was known when he was at Dortmund.

He needs to chill and be more patient.

fps

I don’t think the players stopped playing for him, I think a lot of them don’t seem to know what they’re doing or are struggling to get up to speed.

caid

I didn't really see him turning the problems around to be honest. Think hes a better coach than whoever they'll get in to replace him but chopping and changing has served chelsea well over the years so hard to be critical.
Tuchel will be fine, he'll walk into a good job from here.

Trequarista10

Chelsea :lol:

I know I know it can be rationalised and I'm sure it's logical in many ways, but it's still funny :lol:

Wheato

Really surprised.

What those higher up is doing, nobody knows. This is just wierd, unless there was big argument behind doors.

Todd Boehly wanted CR7. He'd as good as done the deal with Mendes. He was intoxicated by the thought of new revenue streams, the social media clicks, the glamour, the shared legacy of association with greatness...

Tuchel was fundamentally opposed to bringing Ronaldo into his dressing room. The footballing side of the club backed TT. Boehly didn't like the power that the manager wielded at his newly purchased club. He waited for TT to under perform and sacked him after the first hiccup.

Boehly has messed up massively. They will not find a better coach. Not to mention a squad assembled to fit into TT's system.

Abraxas

What were the full reasons for his depression of late? Annoyed with transfers, annoyed with the owners, just a bit of a prat?

Once managers start heading down that road they usually don't last long. You can't really give the impression you are turning the ship around when you're acting quite as sullen as he has.

Him and Rodgers seem to be asking for a sacking.

always_hoping

His record as Chelsea manager.

100 games (3 trophies won)

63 wins
19 Draws
18 defeats
49 clean sheets

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Todd Boehly wanted CR7. He'd as good as done the deal with Mendes. He was intoxicated by the thought of new revenue streams, the social media clicks, the glamour, the shared legacy of association with greatness...

Tuchel was fundamentally opposed to bringing Ronaldo into his dressing room. The footballing side of the club backed TT. Boehly didn't like the power that the manager wielded at his newly purchased club. He waited for TT to under perform and sacked him after the first hiccup.

Boehly has messed up massively. They will not find a better coach. Not to mention a squad assembled to fit into TT's system.
Do we have confirmation of any of it anywhere? The CR7 story?

TheReligion

Abusive

That’s big if true.

Shark

@NotShark
They're in a real mess. 200m+ spent with his blessing and the next manger needing to integrate it. The other major concern is I don't think they've bought particularly well.

TheReligion

Abusive
What were the full reasons for his depression of late? Annoyed with transfers, annoyed with the owners, just a bit of a prat?

Once managers start heading down that road they usually don't last long. You can't really give the impression you are turning the ship around when you're acting quite as sullen as he has.

Him and Rodgers seem to be asking for a sacking.
Todd Boehly

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

Interesting if true. The real crime I think was Tuchel saying 'distroy'.

Wheato

TheReligion

Abusive
They're in a real mess. 200m+ spent with his blessing and the next manger needing to integrate it. The other major concern is I don't think they've bought particularly well.
Not only that they’ll need to replace Kante and Jorginho in the summer (both have expiring contracts are are muted to want to move on). They also need a CF and to look at replacing Ziyech and Pulisic etc.

It’s a right mess.

They have loaned out players like CHO who Potter would have utilised and Levi Colwill to Brighton (who Potter obviously likes and won’t be able to work with)

Yet it was all apparently planned.