Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Infra-red

Top 10 win % of Chelsea Managers since 2004:

Hiddink (09) - 73%
Mourinho (04-07) - 67%
Grant - 67%
Conte - 65%
Sarri - 62%
Ancelotti - 61%
Tuchel - 60%
Mourinho (13-15) - 59%
Benitez - 58%
Di Matteo - 57%

Tuchel's not bad, but he's closer Di Matteo than he is to Conte.

Last edited:

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Hiddink - 73%
Mourinho (04-07) - 67%
Grant - 67%
Conte - 65%
Sarri - 62%
Ancelotti - 61%
Tuchel - 60%
Mourinho (13-15) - 59%
Benitez - 58%
Di Matteo - 57%

Surprised at Hiddink

The Firestarter

Hiddink - 73%
Mourinho (04-07) - 67%
Grant - 67%
Conte - 65%
Sarri - 62%
Ancelotti - 61%
Tuchel - 60%
Mourinho (13-15) - 59%
Benitez - 58%
Di Matteo - 57%

Are these after same amount of games ?

Infra-red

Have they combined both his interim spells? It would be interesting to know. The second one was a lot different to the first one.
That's just Hiddink's 09 spell. He only achieved a lowly 37% in 2015-16.

I've edited the post.

Infra-red

Are these after same amount of games ?
That's the total during their whole time in charge (which will obviously therefore skew downwards for the sacked managers, as the stats include the period during which they were so bad that Abramovich showed them the door - Tuchel is not there... yet).

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The myth that a back 5 is automatically more defensive than a back 4 needs to die. It’s such a simplistic way of looking at things.
I mean it’s not only a back 5 (or back 3 or whatever people like to call it). Their DMs/CMs/Mount also make them ultra defensive. Tactically it may be interesting to follow but it can make them incredibly dull to watch.
It is a safety first approach (unlike Pep). It works for Tuchel so fair enough, but it‘s mostly really not exciting to watch.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That's just Hiddink's 09 spell. He only achieved a lowly 37% in 2015-16.

I've edited the post.
Thanks - he took over the mess Mourinho left behind in 2015 and immediately went on one of the least impressive unbeaten runs you can imagine, something like 7 or 8 draws in the first 10 games.

I think Tuchel will end up somewhere between Conte and Sarri when he's done here.

FatTails

I mean it’s not only a back 5 (or back 3 or whatever people like to call it). Their DMs/CMs/Mount also make them ultra defensive. Tactically it may be interesting to follow but it can make them incredibly dull to watch.
It is a safety first approach (unlike Pep). It works for Tuchel so fair enough, but it‘s mostly really not exciting to watch.
Exciting to watch is very subjective. Barca under Pep, for me, were the pinnacle of football, yet many on here called them boring, which is their opinion and I can’t really argue with that.

He does prioritize safety first, but watch them when they attack. Their defensive line is pretty high and they’re not scared to attack in numbers. He was overly cautious against City though so maybe recency bias is a factor.

Infra-red

Conte at 65% is very impressive
He's a top manager. Highly combustible, but really knows how to build a winning machine. I don't think he's quite right for this current United, although that's probably best left to a different thread!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Exciting to watch is very subjective. Barca under Pep, for me, were the pinnacle of football, yet many on here called them boring, which is their opinion and I can’t really argue with that.

He does prioritize safety first, but watch them when they attack. Their defensive line is pretty high and they’re not scared to attack in numbers. He was overly cautious against City though so maybe recency bias is a factor.
Nope, no recency bias, if it was I would be calling him a coward because their game against City was embarassing. But he beat them previously in more important games so was allowed a (really) bad game against them.

Teja

Hiddink (09) - 73%
Mourinho (04-07) - 67%
Grant - 67%
Conte - 65%
Sarri - 62%
Ancelotti - 61%
Tuchel - 60%
Mourinho (13-15) - 59%
Benitez - 58%
Di Matteo - 57%

Anyone have a league PPG (points per game) handy?

Win % can be misleading I think.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Win% is a pretty terrible stat. It rates 20 points from 5W5D the same as 15 points from 5W5L, I don't see why people would ever use it ahead of say points per game and even that can be misleading if you include cup competitions in it.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Yep when we played City at The Ethiad espeically I remember us playing very high up.

As Carragher said there's a difference between being defensive and defending well.

tomaldinho1

Most successfull Chelsea managers (in terms of PPG):
:
Hiddink having Netherlands & South Korean flag as his nationality is bamboozling me, I hadn't realised he'd been given citizenship for that WC run.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Prime Hiddink was very underrated. His first spell for us was up there with Jose 1.0 and Conte first season in terms of how confident I was every week.

Teja

Most successfull Chelsea managers (in terms of PPG):
:
Thanks! Not a lot between Tuchel and Conte still. And that includes Conte's meltdown period and while Tuchel has been all honeymoon so far.

cyberman

They’re starting to concede now. It’s ok having James as your top scorer when you shut teams out and knew a goal or two killed the game but they need their attackers to step up now. You can’t look to Reece when you’re a goal down and the game is getting away from you

Idxomer

The longest purple patch is over, he will do well to finish in the top 4.

R'hllor

Yea they are done, years wasted, need hard reset and rebuild, lul.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Being honest I think he was a victim of his own pragmatism today. Dominated the first half, should have been a couple up, got to 2-1. Came out and gave West Ham the ball, gave up all control and momentum early in the second half. West Ham who are known for never having the ball had around 57% early second half till 2-2. Then they tried to push on again.

I called him defensive last week and this is what I mean... They came out 2nd half to see out a 2-1 win instead of to finish off West Ham and paid a heavy price for giving up momentum. He did this too often last season with too many draws, its his one minor flaw. Hard to say it doesn't work with their results but I imagine it'll be effective in cups, but over the course of a 38 game league season might prove his achilles heel.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rattled now the guy he ripped off is breathing down his neck.

GMoore23

The league is title 100% between Liverpool and City. This Chelsea squad has plenty of squad depth but just hasn't the first eleven quality of the other 2. Tuchel isn't in Klopp or Guardiolas league either.

Josh 76

Chelsea going through their bad batch and with all their injuries. If they can keep within 2 or 3 points off the top and get to the new year, they will be right up there!