Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

sp_107

What about Tuchel as manager and Ralf as technical director next season, Do you take that option

Kaos

A bit of an overreaction here. He's having a small blip at the moment, but will still comfortably finish in the top 3. No chance we're catching them IMO.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The league is title 100% between Liverpool and City. This Chelsea squad has plenty of squad depth but just hasn't the first eleven quality of the other 2. Tuchel isn't in Klopp or Guardiolas league either.
It's this.
I was a bit worried when we played City and Liverpool, and rightfully so. But away to Chelsea, even in our current malaise didn't feel that big an issue at all, and so it proved.
No star player to rival De Bruyne or Salah, and less about them throughout.

A few big problems like Lukaku not being anything like the "final" piece of the jigsaw, and having a number of players like Havertz/Werner/Ziyech/Pulisic who can't do it for more than a game or 2 in a row.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I'm not sure. He's already rejected Chelsea right?
He rejected a short term contract as interim coach yeah.

A long term contract as technical director is a different kettle of fish but it'll never happen, he's back off to Russia after his temp contract is up in Manchester if he is bad and he'll extend if he is good.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The league is title 100% between Liverpool and City. This Chelsea squad has plenty of squad depth but just hasn't the first eleven quality of the other 2. Tuchel isn't in Klopp or Guardiolas league either.
I agree about the XI not being of the quality but Tuchel's impact at Chelsea has been a lot quicker than either Klopps or Pep's was so I think your point about him is harsh

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
A bit of an overreaction here. He's having a small blip at the moment, but will still comfortably finish in the top 3. No chance we're catching them IMO.
It looks like a huge moment in the season for us because the other two just look very menacing and unstoppable when they're winning. I just have to remind myself that there is a reason we had been top of the league this whole time. Both City and Liverpool have dropped silly points too. Liverpool lost away to West Ham, conceding 3, themselves and City lost at home to Palace. I think they'll have days like today in the coming weeks too, so as long as the wheels don't come off for us, we should be in a good position to put our noses in front again.

TheReligion

Abusive
He rejected a short term contract as interim coach yeah.

A long term contract as technical director is a different kettle of fish but it'll never happen, he's back off to Russia after his temp contract is up in Manchester if he is bad and he'll extend if he is good.
He's with us for 6 months then 2 years as a consultant by all accounts.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's with us for 6 months then 2 years as a consultant by all accounts.
If he shits the bed in the first 6 months, he'll not be put into another position of authority though, surely?

Similarly, if he does a Tuchel and wins the champions League and gets you top four, I bet he'll stay on as manager.

Josh 76

This is Red Cafe. Would be shocked if there wasn’t an overreaction !

TheReligion

Abusive
If he shits the bed in the first 6 months, he'll not be put into another position of authority though, surely?

Similarly, if he does a Tuchel and wins the champions League and gets you top four, I bet he'll stay on as manager.
Yeah I think he'll stay regardless to be honest. Finally a bit of long term vision from the club!

GMoore23

I agree about the XI not being of the quality but Tuchel's impact at Chelsea has been a lot quicker than either Klopps or Pep's was so I think your point about him is harsh
Klopp inherited a much lesser squad than Tuchel and Guardiola won the league in his second season.
Do you seriously think he's on their level?

charlenefan

Klopp inherited a much lesser squad than Tuchel and Guardiola won the league in his second season.
Do you seriously think he's on their level?
Like you have already touched on much is made of the Chelsea squad but there's a difference between numbers and the quality, for Tuchel to be getting what he is out of the likes of Christensen and Jorginho where the likes of Sarri and Lampard failed I think he has Chelsea pushing above their weight so yeah I do think he's in the conversation with Klopp and Pep. Obviously he needs to deliver like they have though as that's the only real proof

redshaw

Liverpool and City do look a cut above which makes sense given the time the managers have had. BBC radio this morning were praising the top 3 saying they look like they won't lose another game unless they play each other but Chelsea don't look like that quite yet, still very good overall.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter007

Prior to taking the Chelsea job, what was it about Tuchels CV that made people think he should be compared to Pep or Klopp?

Klopp defeated the Bayern machine winning Bundesliga titles with Dortmund and Pep won almost virtually everything with Barca and Bayern.

Tuchel got Psg to the CL final? So he's now won the CL with Chelsea, but Di Matteo won it and Avram Grant was a penalty shootout from winning it too.

I'm not saying can't be compared to Pep or Klopp but he does have more to prove that he's truely in their class. Winning the title this year would start making that comparison more genuine but I do think he's been a bit overhyped coming into this season.

Lecland07

People are really questioning Tuchel because of a loss against West Ham?

Man City lost against Crystal Palace. Liverpool also lost against West Ham. It happens.

I would say Chelsea were pretty unfortunate not to play us under Solskjaer, unlike Liverpool and Man City. I think that probably would have been 3 points for them.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Man City lost against Crystal Palace. Liverpool also lost against West Ham. It happens.

I would say Chelsea were pretty unfortunate not to play us under Solskjaer, unlike Liverpool and Man City. I think that probably would have been 3 points for them.
I don't think anyone is questioning his position bar some joking but his decision to shut up shop early second half today should very much be questioned, sometimes he overly goes into his shell. In the same way Pep and Klopp get questioned for over committing men in tight games, Tuchel sometimes does the opposite. For example today Klopp committing a billion men forward paid off today while Tuchel being overly conservative and giving West Ham the ball early 2nd half backfired. He's still a top manager and it happens but like every other manager when he gets something wrong he'll be questioned and it will be over the top because he's chasing the title. Pochettino is being questioned despite being 1000 points clear in Ligue 1.

charlenefan

That says more about us than it does Tuchel's managerial or Chelsea's title credentials

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Prior to taking the Chelsea job, what was it about Tuchels CV that made people think he should be compared to Pep or Klopp?

Klopp defeated the Bayern machine winning Bundesliga titles with Dortmund and Pep won almost virtually everything with Barca and Bayern.

Tuchel got Psg to the CL final? So he's now won the CL with Chelsea, but Di Matteo won it and Avram Grant was a penalty shootout from winning it too.

I'm not saying can't be compared to Pep or Klopp but he does have more to prove that he's truely in their class. Winning the title this year would start making that comparison more genuine but I do think he's been a bit overhyped coming into this season.
The Tuchel and Di Matteo comparisions are ridiculous. The circumstances of both were totally different. Di Matteo had little tactical impact in the win (was basically good karma for the amount of times we didn't win it when we should have) while Tuchel's tactical blueprint was on every single tie.

As for the Klopp/Pep thing I don't think anyone is saying he's historically more successful (if that was the basis off argument the debate would be Pep vs Jose not Klopp) the argument is he deserves a mention in that company right now which I don't think is wildly unfair. He's won the UCL (against one of those two) and is in a title race against both with a squad people were laughing at this time last year.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think anyone is questioning his position bar some joking but his decision to shut up shop early second half today should very much be questioned, sometimes he overly goes into his shell. In the same way Pep and Klopp get questioned for over committing men in tight games, Tuchel sometimes does the opposite. For example today Klopp committing a billion men forward paid off today while Tuchel being overly conservative and giving West Ham the ball early 2nd half backfired. He's still a top manager and it happens but like every other manager when he gets something wrong he'll be questioned and it will be over the top because he's chasing the title. Pochettino is being questioned despite being 1000 points clear in Ligue 1.
Don't think we shut up shop at all. We were still flying forward and in fact bringing Lukaku on for Havertz further weakened our defense since we lost a lot of our forward pressing.

Sviken

Wow, won't be long now before Abramovic pulls the trigger.

hobbers

Ajax, Real or Bayern... or the rubbish group winner.

Tough draw for Chelsea.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Bumping the thread because we havent topped our group, yet still qualified. Eh?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Bumping the thread because we havent topped our group, yet still qualified. Eh?
It's part and parcel of being an oppo here mate. We all pile on in the Ole and Arteta threads, in the City quadruple thread etc. It's par for the course. Tuchel has had LOTS of hype and praise on here when things were going well. This is just the other side of it. It's cool.