Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
This is basically the meme Redcafe believes regarding Bayern and the Bundesliga.

Got a good player? We'll take him.
Got a great manager? We'll have that.
I mean, it's really not a meme.

Kovac - good job with Frankfurt - poached by Bayern.
Nagelsmann - good job with RB Leipzig - poached by Bayern.
Alonso - good job with Leverkusen - poached by Bayern.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just put him in a taxi to munich right after your championship celebrations.
The celebrations will be in NRW. If we put him in a taxi to Munich, he'll arrive there in 2030 as the earliest thanks to traffic jams.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Bayern always poach managers and players from Bundesliga. It’s like they’ve not heard of anyone els outside of Germany. Teams are stupid for selling them there best players aswell over the years.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I mean, it's really not a meme.

Kovac - good job with Frankfurt - poached by Bayern.
Nagelsmann - good job with RB Leipzig - poached by Bayern.
Alonso - good job with Leverkusen - poached by Bayern.
There are 2 options either within the league or outside

Pep outside the league did a good job poached by Bayern
Carlo outside the league did a good job poached by Bayern
Tuchel outside the league did a good job poached by Bayern

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
There are 2 options either within the league or outside

Pep outside the league did a good job poached by Bayern
Carlo outside the league did a good job poached by Bayern
Tuchel outside the league did a good job poached by Bayern
None of those 3 you mentioned were poached.

Pep was on a sabbatical.
Tuchel was already sacked by Chelsea and out of a job.
Carlo was sacked by Real and was out of a job when Bayern hired him.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Bayern always poach managers and players from Bundesliga. It’s like they’ve not heard of anyone els outside of Germany. Teams are stupid for selling them there best players aswell over the years.
If there’s one thing that is stupid, it is calling clubs who sell to us stupid. It’s not like they have much of a choice, if their player refuses to go to any other team and barely has any contract left. Or even a release clause. No good team in Germany wants to sell to us. It’s just that the business isn’t fair and they don’t really have a choice.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If there’s one thing that is stupid, it is calling clubs who sell to us stupid. It’s not like they have much of a choice, if their player refuses to go to any other team and barely has any contract left. Or even a release clause. No good team in Germany wants to sell to us. It’s just that the business isn’t fair and they don’t really have a choice.
Pretty sure there was English clubs after the likes of Lewandowski, hummels, they couldn’t rejected to strengthen a rival and sell abroad.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Pretty sure there was English clubs after the likes of Lewandowski, hummels, they couldn’t rejected to strengthen a rival and sell abroad.
Hummels and Lewandowski didn’t want to go anywhere else. Lewandowski actually refused to go to Real and waited until his contract ran down to move to us. What in the world were Dortmund supposed to do?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Lewandowski refused to move anywhere else.

Of course :lol: :lol:
Bild is now reporting that this isn't true, there were no talks between Bayern and Alonso. Apparently, his agent immediately informed Leverkusen's management when Liverpool's request came in but both Leverkusen and Bayern are denying that there were any talks. Sky is so shit, they are now even fact checked by fecking Bild.

Plus, Rainer Callmund just said that he thinks Alonso is staying until 25 or 26 and then moving to Madrid to replace Ancelotti. So fortunately, we can finally put this ineffable rumor to bed for good ;)

Lyng

Plus, Rainer Callmund just said that he thinks Alonso is staying until 25 or 26 and then moving to Madrid to replace Ancelotti. So fortunately, we can finally put this ineffable rumor to bed for good ;)
Even better

Teja

This is great, I thought Liverpool would get a freebie and replace Klopp with another good manager like Alonso. Now they have to do some work like the rest of us plebs - take a punt on De Zerbi and it doesn't work? Get Flick in? Enrique? Take a punt on Amorim? No one's really going to be a sure thing. Let's see how much their moneyball approach will work.

tomaldinho1

Bild is now reporting that this isn't true, there were no talks between Bayern and Alonso. Apparently, his agent immediately informed Leverkusen's management when Liverpool's request came in but both Leverkusen and Bayern are denying that there were any talks. Sky is so shit, they are now even fact checked by fecking Bild.

Real risk for Alonso if true. His stock is soaring right now but it's not unthinkable (it's surely quite likely?) that he can't get you to this level again next year. The world of football is fickle, some of your players are probably getting told by their agents they can get them ridiculous deals at other teams, it only takes a bad loss or two and the belief starts to ebb away and before long he's a PE teacher.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Real risk for Alonso if true. His stock is soaring right now but it's not unthinkable (it's surely quite likely?) that he can't get you to this level again next year. The world of football is fickle, some of your players are probably getting told by their agents they can get them ridiculous deals at other teams, it only takes a bad loss or two and the belief starts to ebb away and before long he's a PE teacher.
It's a shame if as his likely he and the Bayer squad don't stay together for one more season.

They'd have a genuine chance of the treble if they did.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

That is really the best outcome for everyone. Stay at Leverkusen for a few more years, then feck off to Madrid. He doesn’t go to Bayern so you’re happy, and he doesn’t go to Liverpool so I’m happy.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think if he stays, we'll be up there again. Apart from Wirtz and maybe Xhaka, the team doesn't seem dependent on any players. That aside, I don't expect lots of departures. Right now, Frimpong and Tapsoba are probably the likeliest exits and not even they seem concrete. For Palacios, Grimaldo, Kossounou, Andrich and Tah, you can't rule out the possibility but it still doesn't feel likely. For most of them, Alonso staying will be a huge incentive to stay as well. And with Wirtz and Xhaka, the two most important players will definitely be here next season. Boniface and Hofmann as well. The squad won't be an issue.

And one or possibly even multiple titles with us will ensure that he can go almost whereever he wants one year later as well. Let's not forget he could have gone to Madrid in 2024 and decided to stay. Neither Liverpool nor Bayern have the same kind of pull.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As in CL treble? Not a chance!
If they were in it this season I'd probably only put Real (due to their UCL black magic), City and maybe Inter ahead of them. Possibly Arsenal if they finally get over their European stage fright but that's a huge if.

tomaldinho1

I think if he stays, we'll be up there again. Apart from Wirtz and maybe Xhaka, the team doesn't seem dependent on any players. That aside, I don't expect lots of departures. Right now, Frimpong and Tapsoba are probably the likeliest exits and not even they seem concrete. For Palacios, Grimaldo, Kossounou, Andrich and Tah, you can't rule out the possibility but it still doesn't feel likely. For most of them, Alonso staying will be a huge incentive to stay as well. And with Wirtz and Xhaka, the two most important players will definitely be here next season. Boniface and Hofmann as well. The squad won't be an issue.

And one or possibly even multiple titles with us will ensure that he can go almost whereever he wants one year later as well. Let's not forget he could have gone to Madrid in 2024 and decided to stay. Neither Liverpool nor Bayern have the same kind of pull.
I'd agree re the Real pull, I'm not so sure on the squad/players being settled. Many of those names you mentioned are going to be getting silly numbers thrown at them this summer given how good some of them have been, it's just how football works and some players seem so committed end up getting their heads turned.

@Dancfc surely see how they do in the EL first? Very different competition, lots of travel, and the might Qarabag to get past.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'd agree re the Real pull, I'm not so sure on the squad/players being settled. Many of those names you mentioned are going to be getting silly numbers thrown at them this summer given how good some of them have been, it's just how football works and some players seem so committed end up getting their heads turned.

@Dancfc surely see how they do in the EL first? Very different competition, lots of travel, and the might Qarabag to get past.
You obviously have a point but usually those kind of transfers don't just happen out of the blue but there are early signals for them. So far, there are very few of those and only for a select few players. I mean, we are used to losing players to bigger clubs, it's been like this for as long as I can remember. And right now it almost feels surreal but there are really no indications that we could get picked apart right now. I wouldn't even be surprised if we actively push for a move ourselves as Rolfes wants to have some fluctuation in the squad to keep things fresh. Worth mentioning by the way that we already had a huge, huge rebuild last summer. We let 14 players go over the last three transfer phases, 8 of which were at least temporary starters over their tenures with us. And with Boniface, Xhaka, Grimaldo and Hofmann, four of our most important players are in their debut season.

It will look entirely different when Alonso leaves. We could be in for 10 departures or so at once. Another reason why Rolfes might push for sales this summer himself.

tomaldinho1

You obviously have a point but usually those kind of transfers don't just happen out of the blue but there are early signals for them. So far, there are very few of those and only for a select few players. I mean, we are used to losing players to bigger clubs, it's been like this for as long as I can remember. And right now it almost feels surreal but there are really no indications that we could get picked apart right now. I wouldn't even be surprised if we actively push for a move ourselves as Rolfes wants to have some fluctuation in the squad to keep things fresh. Worth mentioning by the way that we already had a huge, huge rebuild last summer. We let 14 players go over the last three transfer phases, 8 of which were at least temporary starters over their tenures with us. And with Boniface, Xhaka, Grimaldo and Hofmann, four of our most important players are in their debut season.

It will look entirely different when Alonso leaves. We could be in for 10 departures or so at once. Another reason why Rolfes might push for sales this summer himself.
I guess this is where you learn a lot about who is running your club. Would be nice if you can challenge again and the BL becomes a bit less Bayern dominated, probably good long term for the league as well.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I guess this is where you learn a lot about who is running your club. Would be nice if you can challenge again and the BL becomes a bit less Bayern dominated, probably good long term for the league as well.
Rolfes is doing an excellent job so far. What we see now finally is his team (including Alonso).

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Plus, Rainer Callmund just said that he thinks Alonso is staying until 25 or 26 and then moving to Madrid to replace Ancelotti. So fortunately, we can finally put this ineffable rumor to bed for good
These days Calmund probably had more inside knowledge about Pattaya than the football business.

If Bayer wins the double or even a triple, Alonso would be a fool to stay. There is nothing left to achieve with Leverkusen. As others stated the whole EPL as well as Real, Barcelona and PSG will be after their players.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think that's still far away at this point in time. Bayern is twice as rich as everybody else and realistically, Alonso is staying for another season at max. If we can replace him properly and continue our current playing style while keeping a few players long term (such as Xhaka and Tah, for instance) while Bayern continues to be in so much disarray, it could be possible but as of now, it is far more likely that they get their act together (Eberl is a very competent DoF) and we'll be back to our usual level or maybe a bit above that in two years' time.

In the end, the Bundesliga suffers from structural problems that can't be overcome that easily. It doesn't help that Bayern acts very egotistically either. It doesn't seem that they have any interest in a change of the status quo. I'm sure they would love a more internationally competitive Bundesliga but they wouldn't trade their hegemony over the league for it.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think that's still far away at this point in time. Bayern is twice as rich as everybody else and realistically, Alonso is staying for another season at max. If we can replace him properly and continue our current playing style while keeping a few players long term (such as Xhaka and Tah, for instance) while Bayern continues to be in so much disarray, it could be possible but as of now, it is far more likely that they get their act together (Eberl is a very competent DoF) and we'll be back to our usual level or maybe a bit above that in two years' time.

In the end, the Bundesliga suffers from structural problems that can't be overcome that easily. It doesn't help that Bayern acts very egotistically either. It doesn't seem that they have any interest in a change of the status quo. I'm sure they would love a more internationally competitive Bundesliga but they wouldn't trade their hegemony over the league for it.
Does trading their hegemony mean Bayern weakens itself by self sabotage or what?
Bayern aims to remain competitive in Europe and wont achieve that by taking decisions that weaken it
The only way to catch up a team like Bayern is by external investments on the level of Roman, Mansor, PSG etc. Its way too hard working your way to that position. If Bayern does not touch anyone in Leverkusen. I expect Alonso, Wirtz Frimpong and other top talent to leave weakening them while Bayern buys and improve

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Does trading their hegemony mean Bayern weakens itself by self sabotage or what?
Bayern aims to remain competitive in Europe and wont achieve that by taking decisions that weaken it
The only way to catch up a team like Bayern is by external investments on the level of Roman, Mansor, PSG etc. Its way too hard working your way to that position. If Bayern does not touch anyone in Leverkusen. I expect Alonso, Wirtz Frimpong and other top talent to leave weakening them while Bayern buys and improve
There are enough teams in the world that remain competitive at the highest level without signing players from their direct rivals all the time. Lewandowski, Götze and Hummels might have left the league if Bayern didn't sign them up, true, but at the very least this wouldn't have ruined the brand of the Bundesliga for several years to come. The only way for Bundesliga teams to establish themselves among international top teams is by increasing the international revenues and Bayern's transfer strategy of focusing on the domestic market so much makes it completely uninteresting for international fans.

I mean, go ahead, ask people in here what they think about the Bundesliga and why they don't watch it. 90% will tell you that this is because Bayern sign up the best talents anywhere and all other clubs just seem to develop players for them. That's obviously far from the truth since many top talents skipped that step already but this image was created by Bayern showing Dortmund its place and it is still prevalent today. And the minute you guys finally face a real competitor again, you do your utmost to repeat that.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
There are enough teams in the world that remain competitive at the highest level without signing players from their direct rivals all the time. Lewandowski, Götze and Hummels might have left the league if Bayern didn't sign them up, true, but at the very least this wouldn't have ruined the brand of the Bundesliga for several years to come. The only way for Bundesliga teams to establish themselves among international top teams is by increasing the international revenues and Bayern's transfer strategy of focusing on the domestic market so much makes it completely uninteresting for international fans.

I mean, go ahead, ask people in here what they think about the Bundesliga and why they don't watch it. 90% will tell you that this is because Bayern sign up the best talents anywhere and all other clubs just seem to develop players for them. That's obviously far from the truth since many top talents skipped that step already but this image was created by Bayern showing Dortmund its place and it is still prevalent today. And the minute you guys finally face a real competitor again, you do your utmost to repeat that.
Before Bayern signed Gotze and Lewandowski, what was the reputation of the league like? Which league does a top team deliberately avoid signing players from their domestic rivals
The people who don't watch Bundesliga wont watch either, they can only come up with excuses, Even if Bayern let these players leave and we weaken ourselves and the league like Dutch league just to make it competitive
they will claim its because one team wins all the time but they watch EPL that one team has won 3 in a row and dont watch Serie A what 4 teams have won in the last 4yrs. Actually more fans watched Ligue 1 when Neymar Messi Mbappe were winning every season than when different teams won between 07 and 2013

Ajax does not sign many players from PSV or Feyenoord, How many people are tuning to Dutch league this weekend?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Before Bayern signed Gotze and Lewandowski, what was the reputation of the league like? Which league does a top team deliberately avoid signing players from their domestic rivals
The people who don't watch Bundesliga wont watch either, they can only come up with excuses, Even if Bayern let these players leave and we weaken ourselves and the league like Dutch league just to make it competitive
they will claim its because one team wins all the time but they watch EPL that one team has won 3 in a row and dont watch Serie A what 4 teams have won in the last 4yrs. Actually more fans watched Ligue 1 when Neymar Messi Mbappe were winning every season than when different teams won between 07 and 2013

Ajax does not sign many players from PSV or Feyenoord, How many people are tuning to Dutch league this weekend?
The reputation of the league was great at that time because there was finally a competitor that people hoped could challenge them constantly. And in most leagues, top teams can't sign players directly from their domestic rivals. If they could/would, nobody would care for their leagues either. The Bundesliga's reputation would profit enormously if Bayern followed an internal policy of not signing players from their direct domestic rivals (or what's most similar to a "direct rival"). That doesn't equal "weakening yourself" as you can always sign from other clubs as well.

And I don't get what you want to say with Mbappe, Messi and Neymar? Those were the biggest names in the game when PSG signed them. You don't make such transfers.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The reputation of the league was great at that time because there was finally a competitor that people hoped could challenge them constantly.
But Bayern was constantly challenged during the 2000s. Admittedly by different teams (remember we saw Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart, Bremen win the league in that decade), but actually that made the league more exciting than less. Sure Bayern was the dominant force even then, but they couldn't be sure to win anything and had to face a real fight for every title they won. Problem is, the overall quality was more or less terrible (as proven by the relatively abysmal record in the European competitions). No big names in the league, no great teams who did something impressive. That changed at the turn of the decade when Bayern reached three CL finals in four years and Dortmund reached one as well, while both teams were breaking each others records domestically. The leagues reputation was on a high because it had great teams. And than it became boring because Dortmund dropped a level and no one else could step up to the standard they and Bayern set (until this season).

Obviously the best thing would be to have multiple impressive teams in the league who have the best players in the world, but you likely would need PL level investment into the league to get to that point. And even then it's no guarantee as the PL is in danger of becoming as boring as the BL recently due to City's dominance.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
But Bayern was constantly challenged during the 2000s. Admittedly by different teams (remember we saw Dortmund, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart, Bremen win the league in that decade), but actually that made the league more exciting than less. Sure Bayern was the dominant force even then, but they couldn't be sure to win anything and had to face a real fight for every title they won. Problem is, the overall quality was more or less terrible (as proven by the relatively abysmal record in the European competitions). No big names in the league, no great teams who did something impressive. That changed at the turn of the decade when Bayern reached three CL finals in four years and Dortmund reached one as well, while both teams were breaking each others records domestically. The leagues reputation was on a high because it had great teams. And than it became boring because Dortmund dropped a level and no one else could step up to the standard they and Bayern set (until this season).

Obviously the best thing would be to have multiple impressive teams in the league who have the best players in the world, but you likely would need PL level investment into the league to get to that point. And even then it's no guarantee as the PL is in danger of becoming as boring as the BL recently due to City's dominance.
The 00s were better from a competitive point of view but as you said the quality was abysmal. That is different now as the Bundesliga has constantly been producing world class talents since the late 00s or so. If Bayern focused on bringing big international names to the league like Kane, Thiago, Robben, Ribery or Toni and let the runner ups take care of building competitive squads without poaching on their talents all the time, it would make the league much more attractive.

I mean, if you read anything about the Bundesliga by international fans, it is something negative about Bayern signing up all German talent 99% of the time. It is super naive to assume this negative brand image has no effect on the marketability of the league. This image is primarily driven by Bayern. And I know this image isn't entirely true as Bayern wasn't able to get many top talents from Leverkusen, Dortmund and Leipzig recently but a) it's not as if they didn't try, in fact they approached them very early on and b) this highlights what kind of lasting effect Bayern's activities in the past have had.

Blackwidow

From what big talents do you speak that Bayern took from their competitors? Do not come with Lewy or Götze. A decade ago and free or with release clause....

Our biggest gems right now come from Chelsea, Rennes or our own academy! Tottenham, Juve, City...

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
From what big talents do you speak that Bayern took from their competitors? Do not come with Lewy or Götze. A decade ago and free or with release clause....

Our biggest gems right now come from Chelsea, Rennes or our own academy! Tottenham, Juve, City...
Upa, Sabitzer, Laimer, Nagelsmann. Leipzig got massively affected. And the problem is that those were their biggest talents, not that they are yours.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Bundesliga is such a pathetic league and Bayern are simply shameless, knowingly making their product(Bundesliga) weak and a joke. Continuously win the league year after year and as soon as they is a strong competitor opposite them, they go ahead and try to poach all their resources. What a joke of a league the Bundesliga is. I wouldn't watch that joke of a league even if you put a gun to my head. Hard to get exited for the league when they just continuously allow Bayern to weaken any of their competent opponents so they can reign supreme solo.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Bundesliga is such a pathetic league and Bayern are simply shameless, knowingly making their product(Bundesliga) weak and a joke. Continuously win the league year after year and as soon as they is a strong competitor opposite them, they go ahead and try to poach all their resources. What a joke of a league the Bundesliga is. I wouldn't watch that joke of a league even if you put a gun to my head. Hard to get exited for the league when they just continuously allow Bayern to weaken any of their competent opponents so they can reign supreme solo.
And the clubs they robbed seem to treat them with respect as if it's a normal thing. And will let them do that again in the future.

RoyH1

Please tell us how you feel about German football?

sekularic

Wait until this guy hears about Man City and what they are doing in the Premier League.