Thomas Tuchel | Gone to & from Bayern (In Summer)

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I've always defended him because his PSG and Dortmund stints are underrated (best Dortmund manager post Klopp by some distance and best PSG manager since their money era as well) and Chelsea was purely down to Boehly madness.
But so far at Bayern it's been really bad these last few months, shocking football and even if their PPG before the break wasn't THAT bad, it was mostly because Kane and Sane had bailed them out a lot.
To be fair to him, their transfer business has been shocking bar Kane, but that's not an excuse for the type of football we're seeing here. Also, he has this weird tendency of rating average players while needlessly alienating quality guys. No idea what his issue with De Ligt has been for example.

tomaldinho1

"All that is old does not glitter, not all those unemployed are lost.
The man that is strong does not wither, football 'eritage as always the boss.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring.
Renewed shall be man that was broken, the Champions League again has its king."

Mourinho to Bayern is on

RedRocket9908

1 shot on target in 2 games is a terrible return for a club like Bayern, this is their first defeat in a UCL last 16 tie in quite a while as well.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I've always defended him because his PSG and Dortmund stints are underrated (best Dortmund manager post Klopp by some distance and best PSG manager since their money era as well) and Chelsea was purely down to Boehly madness.
But so far at Bayern it's been really bad these last few months, shocking football and even if their PPG before the break wasn't THAT bad, it was mostly because Kane and Sane had bailed them out a lot.
To be fair to him, their transfer business has been shocking bar Kane, but that's not an excuse for the type of football we're seeing here. Also, he has this weird tendency of rating average players while needlessly alienating quality guys. No idea what his issue with De Ligt has been for example.

Thank you !

A bit sick of posters posting ppg stats to defend him. The football has been dire and he has been waiting to be found out. Even if Bayern get past Lazio, I cannot see them getting past the next round.

Woeful foorball all season long.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Bayern are usually proactive so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave Xabi A blank cheque especially with Liverpool sniffing around.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Mourinho still 14/1 but seen about ten people post about him going to Munich in the past hour :lol:

Reij

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Tuchel has taken Bayern backward tactically by many years, the football played is worse than Kovac's. What a failure.

RuudTom83

Another example of changing the manager as the quick easy fix!

Grass ain’t always greener blah blah

Strachan8

Mourinho ‘schooled’ Alonso‘s Leverkusen in the Europa League semi-finals last year. In the first leg at home, Leverkusen had 23 shots to Roma’s 1 as Mourinho’s team gave a defensive masterclass. Alonso’s team lost their discipline and faded. JM is surely the one coach who could galvanise Bayern and unsettle Leverkusen to Retain the Bundesliga.

Tyrion

They seemed pretty ruthless with Nagelsmann so I don't have much sympathy for them. That said, I doubt Tuchel is the problem.

caid

Then what is the problem
I've not watched them much but from the limited things ive seen i'd say their midfield is a problem. Our games against them they looked like they were playing in 2nd gear and not really trying, which was fair we were pretty wretched. But i've seen them a couple times since and i'm not sure they have a higher level than that, they always look a bit sluggish and lightweight in various positions.
They look kind of terrifying up front (Musiala looks special) and like they could score at will and Upamecano and Kim are quite imposing and look like they'll deal with whatever is thrown at them without any support but theres just nothing between. Their wingers play like ours, they're really not too enthusiastic about defending. Kane doesn't add much and musiala is not the most defensively adept 10 in the world at a time its kind of hard to fit them in to a team. Goretzka chases shadows, Kimmich is organising a one man defensive line while daydreaming about his next club and Alaba is cheating with positioning most of the time. They just look disconnected and a bit redundant off the ball to me. Then theres Upamecano's brain farts, so they cant even rely on being good where it really counts.
A lot of that could be left at the managers door but I think theres wider issues. I think they'll struggle to get their wingers to be disciplined enough to fit musiala in comfortbaly. It wont matter against 99% of the teams they face but it'll cost them in the big ties. That middle 3 of Alaba, Goretzka, Kimmich needs a shake up, it'll probably be enforced with Kimmich leaving. Upamecano might cut out the costly blunders, he's very young.
I'm basing this off half a dozen games though so im just guessing really.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Remember when we were envious of Bayern because we thought the managers must have gone some sort of filters to ensure they appoint those who fit the club? And how they've always got it right? And how merciless they are when it comes into results?

Yeah. It was all bollocks. They're just as clueless as us.

In before Bundesliga crusaders defending Bayern.
They have a good solidarity not going to lie.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I've not watched them much but from the limited things ive seen i'd say their midfield is a problem. Our games against them they looked like they were playing in 2nd gear and not really trying, which was fair we were pretty wretched. But i've seen them a couple times since and i'm not sure they have a higher level than that, they always look a bit sluggish and lightweight in various positions.
They look kind of terrifying up front (Musiala looks special) and like they could score at will and Upamecano and Kim are quite imposing and look like they'll deal with whatever is thrown at them without any support but theres just nothing between. Their wingers play like ours, they're really not too enthusiastic about defending. Kane doesn't add much and musiala is not the most defensively adept 10 in the world at a time its kind of hard to fit them in to a team. Goretzka chases shadows, Kimmich is organising a one man defensive line while daydreaming about his next club and Alaba is cheating with positioning most of the time. They just look disconnected and a bit redundant off the ball to me. Then theres Upamecano's brain farts, so they cant even rely on being good where it really counts.
A lot of that could be left at the managers door but I think theres wider issues. I think they'll struggle to get their wingers to be disciplined enough to fit musiala in comfortbaly. It wont matter against 99% of the teams they face but it'll cost them in the big ties. That middle 3 of Alaba, Goretzka, Kimmich needs a shake up, it'll probably be enforced with Kimmich leaving. Upamecano might cut out the costly blunders, he's very young.
I'm basing this off half a dozen games though so im just guessing really.
When did Bayern sign alaba again

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Remember when we were envious of Bayern because we thought the managers must have gone some sort of filters to ensure they appoint those who fit the club? And how they've always got it right? And how merciless they are when it comes into results?

Our track record with managers has always been hit and miss. Bayern usually don't wait for three years to admit that it's not working though.
That being said, the whole business of sacking Nagelsmann to bring in Tuchel was a monumental feckup. Inexperienced club bosses (Kahn, Salihamidzic) running scared and headless, while probably also pressured by the old guard of the board (who found it sacrilege that Nagelsmann would go on a skiing trip than coming in to grovel before them). There also was the issue of constant dressing room leaks, with Nagelsmann's girlfriend (? /wife/affair, i don't recall) working at Bild or something.
Still the decision to sack him was rushed and irrational at that point in the season, and the results are worse than i expected.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Not going to defend Bayern right now. They usually got in right during the last decade, but they hugely messed up the succession of Rummenigge/Hoeneß as CEO and DOF. Kahn/Salihamidzic just are not on their level and just didn't get as many things right as their predecessors (I think Salihamidzic did some good business, but nothing outstanding, but Kahn was just meh). The Nagelsmann signing was an expensive statement, firing him while being in three tournaments was a massive risk and didn't pay off, so they had to go. Which means Bayern were effectively without a settled and experienced leadership during the summer transfer window which they fecked up (yes they got Kane, but everything else they did was stupid) and also put them in a bad position in the winter (signing Dier and Boey, while they should just have kept Stanisic in the summer who is probably better than both in their positions, but instead they loaned Stanisic to Leverkusen and he might be the only Bayern player to keep winning titles this season...)

Considering all this board and squad chaos, it is still amazing what results they get this season, but the occasional loss is to be expected.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't think they'd be better with Nagelsmann as a coach tbh

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
In other words, the manager is not really the issue at the moment, it's more the squad (and squad planning/transfers).
There are issues with the squad (mostly size and DM options), but I feel Tuchel is exacerbating the weaknesses and failing to utilize the strengths. 1 (one) attempt on goal in total in the games against Leverkusen and Lazio is completely unacceptable.
And this trend is not new, his Chelsea couldn't score to save their lives either at the end.

whitbyviking

Bayern looked dreadful last night, all fur coat and no knickers. They seem to have a lot of the ball in and around the opponents box without looking dangerous. Overplaying seems a real issue and you see them filling the box with players, while the best goalscorer in the team is looking for space behind them, when he is not dropping back to halfway to instigate the attacks or get involved. It just looks a mess. They are never far away from a disaster in defence either, which considering the reputation of the personnel and the costs involved is pretty brutal.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
There are issues with the squad (mostly size and DM options), but I feel Tuchel is exacerbating the weaknesses and failing to utilize the strengths. 1 (one) attempt on goal in total in the games against Leverkusen and Lazio is completely unacceptable.
And this trend is not new, his Chelsea couldn't score to save their lives either at the end.
Chelsea's attack was a complete mess; that wasn't on Tuchel at all. In fact we were better attacking-wise under Tuchel compared to the rest of the year - 21% of our league goals came under him and he managed 16% of our league games.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He'll get the Jack Black eventually I'm guessing. I think there's a very good tactician there, but failing at Bayern is a big minus point on his career. I'd have him over Potter anyway.

Judas

Open to offers
He'd be an awful hire, was massively underwhelmed with how he managed Chelsea in the league. Obviously did well in the cups, but never really seemed to get to grips with the PL properly.