Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Jund

At this point the only thing we need to be asking ourselves is "Is this guy an upgrade on what we have?"

Looking at his transfers history - I'm more inclined to say "No". We have this already.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Boehly has done a lot of harm, but Tuchel brought this on himself. Our team was absolutely unprepared for the preseason following our CL win. I was at the game against Arsenal, it was shocking. Tuchel's attentions were no longer on his team or the players.
What? Who cares about pre-season; we were obviously ready for the actual season itself since we were top at Christmas

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What? Who cares about pre-season; we were obviously ready for the actual season itself since we were top at Christmas
Yeah that's a surprising one. Your worse position was 4th and you spent a lot of time at the top during the first part of that season.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah that's a surprising one. Your worse position was 4th and you spent a lot of time at the top during the first part of that season.
Very odd complaint. The season was very obviously derailed by the sanctions and also Lukaku going from kissing the badge to slating the club in record time. Don't think it's fair to blame Tuchel for either considering the sanctions were literally unprecedented and Lukaku was a signing by our hierarchy

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Very odd complaint. The season was very obviously derailed by the sanctions and also Lukaku going from kissing the badge to slating the club in record time. Don't think it's fair to blame Tuchel for either considering the sanctions were literally unprecedented and Lukaku was a signing by our hierarchy
I think he somehow mistook the 2022 pre season for the 2023 one as we didn't get smashed by Arsenal in the former one.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think he somehow mistook the 2022 pre season for the 2023 one as we didn't get smashed by Arsenal in the former one.
Ah makes sense; couldn't be arsed to check our pre-season fixtures. Still obviously disingenuous to complain about it since it's not like we started 22/23 THAT badly (especially if that bald dipshit Mike Dean could be bothered to do his fecking job)

Martinez4midfield

Supports
Ajax
Definitely worse managers out there then Tuchel. Nobody is a guarantee of success but of all the names out there he seems the best to get United back in the top four the soonest.

Now whether ineos want that or are willing to take a risk on a someone maybe less proven with a longer time horizon to try and build a more sustainable model is an interesting question. I personally think it's the latter. No quick fixes.

Carolina Red

Staff
You seem to be set in your dislike for him and I don't think I'll change your viewpoint but my thoughts are

1. The club will have a lot more background info on what happened with these clubs than we ever will. They'll talk to their sources, talk to Tuchel and make a decision that's going to be a lot more informed than us speculating on the Caf about him falling out with the board in two years.

2. Pep himself fell out with the board at Barca and then left Bayern again after being burned out and gotten smashed by RM. Would you avoid him?

3. You'd need to look into each of his clubs independently and investigate why he fell out.

Mainz: No sources seem to have inside info here. He spent 5 years, decided he couldn't take them further and chose to quit himself after seeing out his contract.

Dortmund: Drama lies here. Tension was already brewing after the club sold a bunch of key players (Gundo, Mkhi etc.). Didn't like the fact that he wasn't even consulted for signing some others. He fell out with the players after the whole Dortmund bus attack incident. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...How-Thomas-Tuchel-fell-Borussia-Dortmund.html

PSG: Things were going fine for him in the league but he complained about political drama (keeping Mbappe and Neymar happy). My understanding here is that he didn't actually fall out - his contract was up and the powers that be didn't like the football that he was playing with them and that he didn't win the CL so sacked him. https://archive.is/YjpOj and https://www.footballtransfers.com/u...gue/2021/09/why-did-psg-sack-thomas-tuchel-us

Chelsea: Things went great under Abramovich. Boehly brought a wrecking ball to the finely tuned machine that was the Chelsea backroom strategy. I find it impossible to blame him for the sack. Most Chelsea fans were sad that he left and will probably take him back with open arms.

Bayern: I'll let you decide since it's the current season. They're already in boardroom political turmoil and sacked one competent coach (Nagelsmann) for seemingly no reason. I won't blame Tuchel for falling out here either.
Thank you for putting this post together. It’s something I’ve been trying to think of doing for 2 days now and just couldn’t figure out a succinct way of doing it.

The two real “fall outs” he’s had, I think I wouldn’t have fallen out with my bosses too.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
You seem to be set in your dislike for him and I don't think I'll change your viewpoint but my thoughts are

1. The club will have a lot more background info on what happened with these clubs than we ever will. They'll talk to their sources, talk to Tuchel and make a decision that's going to be a lot more informed than us speculating on the Caf about him falling out with the board in two years.

2. Pep himself fell out with the board at Barca and then left Bayern again after being burned out and gotten smashed by RM. Would you avoid him?

3. You'd need to look into each of his clubs independently and investigate why he fell out.

Mainz: No sources seem to have inside info here. He spent 5 years, decided he couldn't take them further and chose to quit himself after seeing out his contract.

Dortmund: Drama lies here. Tension was already brewing after the club sold a bunch of key players (Gundo, Mkhi etc.). Didn't like the fact that he wasn't even consulted for signing some others. He fell out with the players after the whole Dortmund bus attack incident. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...How-Thomas-Tuchel-fell-Borussia-Dortmund.html

PSG: Things were going fine for him in the league but he complained about political drama (keeping Mbappe and Neymar happy). My understanding here is that he didn't actually fall out - his contract was up and the powers that be didn't like the football that he was playing with them and that he didn't win the CL so sacked him. https://archive.is/YjpOj and https://www.footballtransfers.com/u...gue/2021/09/why-did-psg-sack-thomas-tuchel-us

Chelsea: Things went great under Abramovich. Boehly brought a wrecking ball to the finely tuned machine that was the Chelsea backroom strategy. I find it impossible to blame him for the sack. Most Chelsea fans were sad that he left and will probably take him back with open arms.

Bayern: I'll let you decide since it's the current season. They're already in boardroom political turmoil and sacked one competent coach (Nagelsmann) for seemingly no reason. I won't blame Tuchel for falling out here either.
Thank you for putting this post together. It’s something I’ve been trying to think of doing for 2 days now and just couldn’t figure out a succinct way of doing it.

The two real “fall outs” he’s had, I think I wouldn’t have fallen out with my bosses too.
I think my NDA has probably expired at this point - just for some additional context that doesn't seem to be public knowledge, part of why Tuchel decided to leave Mainz was that he'd agreed to come to England and manage Aston Villa as a new American ownership group was set to take over from Randy Lerner in 2014. I was involved in all of this as a consultant - unfortunately Lerner wound up pulling out of the deal at the 11th hour which wound up dooming Villa to further mediocrity and ultimately relegation. He then sold to some shady Chinese idiots a couple years later; Tuchel stayed out of management for a year and wound up going to Dortmund.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this is a major part of why Tuchel had issues with Boehly et al - I can say first-hand that he was pretty fecking fed up with dumbass Americans as of 2014/15ish so Clearlake coming in like a wrecking ball asking to sign CR7 in 2022 probably gave him PTSD flashbacks.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think my NDA has probably expired at this point - just for some additional context that doesn't seem to be public knowledge, part of why Tuchel decided to leave Mainz was that he'd agreed to come to England and manage Aston Villa as a new American ownership group was set to take over from Randy Lerner in 2014. I was involved in all of this as a consultant - unfortunately Lerner wound up pulling out of the deal at the 11th hour which wound up dooming Villa to further mediocrity and ultimately relegation. He then sold to some shady Chinese idiots a couple years later; Tuchel stayed out of management for a year and wound up going to Dortmund.

Honestly wouldn't surprise me if this is a major part of why Tuchel had issues with Boehly et al - I can say first-hand that he was pretty fecking fed up with dumbass Americans as of 2014/15ish so Clearlake coming in like a wrecking ball asking to sign CR7 in 2022 probably gave him PTSD flashbacks.
Damn, I always thought Tuchel was a no-bullshit guy but this more than confirms it.

I honestly am pretty curious to see him at the club, same way as I was with Jose. Although Jose's reign ended in tears, he still delivered 50% of our trophies post Fergie and got us above 80 points which no else has come close to (we were seen to be competing with City until we lost 2-1 at home against them).

I think we might be getting Tuchel earlier in his shelf life compared to Mourinho and he could surprise people, especially under a proper professional structure. And if not, I'd still expect a couple of finals and maybe a trophy domestically and in Europe.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Well shit
Did my best to not take it personally at the time!

It was always much more typical billionaire shit - hurr durr I was successful doing things this way therefore everyone should do things this way, that kind of nonsense. The exact kind of nonsense Boehly et al implemented at Chelsea, Tuchel didn't have patience for it, so they sacked him.

Damn, I always thought Tuchel was a no-bullshit guy but this more than confirms it.

I honestly am pretty curious to see him at the club, same way as I was with Jose. Although Jose's reign ended in tears, he still delivered 50% of our trophies post Fergie and got us above 80 points which no else has come close to (we were seen to be competing with City until we lost 2-1 at home against them).

I think we might be getting Tuchel earlier in his shelf life compared to Mourinho and he could surprise people, especially under a proper professional structure. And if not, I'd still expect a couple of finals and maybe a trophy domestically and in Europe.
He's very much no bullshit. He has no patience for games - which is the biggest reason why he generally wants nothing to do with recruitment.

Reyoji-Utd

Can we not building the squad and club on the background and simultaniously trying our best to win every games there is?

Finance and football needs each other to compete for the best possible trophies and when you have to keep thinking about letting 2 or 3 years wasted away to try to pinyour hope on some young and unproven managers to come in and build us up to the old United is very much impossible task. Those young managers needs at least a stable platform for them to come in and try to be sucess. And i think fans would still be calling the head if we going ups and downs like EtH do now and that possibilities is high with young and unproven manager.

Actually, we United try too hard the last decade to get our new SAF and that deep down impaire our perspective re what a big and great club suppose to be. We try to hard to be like City or Brighton or some other clubs that pin our hope on creating a system of football to play and jt feel like that is the only way for us to succeed or any other clubs to succeed. Its too much system centric.

What we suppose to do is to build the squad by buying good footballers that have qualities to be able to play any systems and then fine tune it when we have certain coaches that come in and need more specific players. Good footballers suppose to be able to dl that. If we take clubs as a metric then RM and Bayern is the epitome of that. They dont care much about the system to play. Most of their players would most likely can play in any team and any system in the world. The coach should be evaluated by winning games or trophies and if they feel the coach wont do that, they will go for the next best one. Winning is the best ways to build the clubs back because winning breeds winning and when ypu win alot then you obviously going to have more time and advantages financially and in selecting players and coaches in the future. Under SAF, our teams dont always play very good football all the time rather we play winning football and that still help us branding wise and financially wise till now.

lego xavi

In terms of football, tuchel is without doubt top 5 best coaches in the world. Only guardiola will be better than him in England

His biggest weakness is his attitude and relationship with the board. I think the main reason why he has been fired in all those clubs is not due to football but his troublesome rrelationshis with the ownership

Melville Red

Completely uninformed opinion yet again
based purely on what someone has dreamt overnight.

In his first full season (2021/22), he got Chelsea into two cup finals (both lost on pens against the scousers) and finished 3rd in the league, one position and on 7 more points compared to his first (partial) season.

Then Chelsea had to be sold due to the Ukraine war and Boehly ruined the club. And they finished 12th, with disproportionate amount of their points coming from the few games Tuchel was in charge for, hardly making a great case for them 'falling off a cliff'.
Great so he couldn't beat the scousers in two cup finals, nobody remembers a loser but you do.
He is not a great team builder and doesn’t stick around long at any club and yet you’re trying to make an argument for him?
He's the opposite to what we need now and in the future.

AndySmith1990

Great so he couldn't beat the scousers in two cup finals, nobody remembers a loser but you do.
He is not a great team builder and doesn’t stick around long at any club and yet you’re trying to make an argument for him?
He's the opposite to what we need now and in the future.
We don't need a manager to be a great team builder, we need a head coach who can work with what he is given

kaku06

Vulgarian
He’s exactly what we need right now imo. We need someone with stature and proven success that can stand up to these overblown egos and tell them as it is. Most of the other ‘candidates’ won’t stand a chance. For instance, if Iraola walked through the door, our lot are more likely to say who the feck are you giving us these orders. We definitely need a big character, that can command respect, to get us through this transition. We simply cannot afford to gamble again on an unproven coach at this level.
100% agreed.

Melville Red

We don't need a manager to be a great team builder, we need a head coach who can work with what he is given
And to do that with what we have will take more time than Tuchel will be willing to give. We do not want a short time fix, that’s if he can fix it. Christ if you want someone who can work miracles with what he’s got look no further than our old coach McKenna. However I would like to see him work in the PL just to see if as a head coach he can handle the pressure, if he can he will be an ideal target and for that reason I’d rather stick with what we know and see how it pans out next season when hopefully we will have a lot less injuries.