Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

OsloRed

Think Rio interviewed him whilst at PSG and he came across really well. Decent guy and very enthusiastic.

Did some further reading after about his pre PSG time and he’s a massive student of the game, constantly looking to improve.

If you get past the lazy cliches then he’s actually quite an interesting option - was personally gutted when Chelsea got him and not us.

Not bald though so swerve
He's getting there!

I agree, he seems like he could be a good option. There'll always be some risk attached to a manager signing, but seems like the structure we are installing now is well suited for Tuchel. In my heart I want McKenna, though, but that will not happen this summer.

ROFLUTION

He’s not super exciting for me, but Id rather him than Southgate or De Zerbi. At least he has experience of dealing with a bad dressing room and being at bigger clubs.

RoyH1

He’s not super exciting for me, but Id rather him than Southgate or De Zerbi. At least he has experience of dealing with a bad dressing room and being at bigger clubs.
Feel the same way. Much better option than some of the other names I've heard mentioned. I think his stock might go up after this upcoming CL semi against Madrid.

captain666

He's getting there!

I agree, he seems like he could be a good option. There'll always be some risk attached to a manager signing, but seems like the structure we are installing now is well suited for Tuchel. In my heart I want McKenna, though, but that will not happen this summer.
Agree with you,I'm in the McKenna camp but it's maybe 2 years away.

tomaldinho1

He's miles above some of the names that have been mentioned and I don't really care about the idea he's difficult - Ineos' model isn't likely to create long serving managers, the head coach model in modern football is basically how Chelsea were run under Abramovic with changes every couple of years, you keep refreshing to keep moving forwards with new ideas and some work, some don't but you generally stay competitive. Tuchel is very much like that, short but successful stints with big teams after making a name for himself with Mainz -> Dortmund. He's in the managerial merry go round until he retires now.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Your analogy would be apt if you added that he was not allowed to change the ingredients and the previous owners only shopped in the Tesco discount aisle.
The previous owners (and chefs) shopped in Harrods but they were buying spoiled ingredients behind the rack with full price. We spent the most in transfer within the last decade outspending the poor meager PSG while squeaking through the wage bill chart in 4th position just right above our destitute neighbour. I dont think we can say that United doesnt spend big since Fergie retired. The problem is we spent the money horribly and left with bloated disjointed squad. For all the hate Glazers get they never really cap our spending if anything they let us spend outrageously and stupidly. The problem was the structure and people they appoint were horrible which resulted in huge misspending. In any other industries those people would be hanged out dry for gross negligence spending of company's money. For example: ETH spending massive amount of club's money on players that share the same agent as him is a huge conflict of interest. In any other field there would be an open investigation on him and these deals immediately. In some jurisdiction it might be considered as a crime.

Last edited:

FujiVice

He's by far the best option available. If you cant get Pep or Klopp or Alonso or Enrique, Tuchel's the man you get. He's a winner, might still win the Champions League this year.

Shark

@NotShark
He won't win us a title, especially while Pep is still around, but may at least make us competitive enough to make the next managerial step in two years or so. I'll have him any day over Potter, Southgate or De Zerbi.

ROFLUTION

He won't win us a title, especially while Pep is still around, but may at least make us competitive enough to make the next managerial step in two years or so. I'll have him any day over Potter, Southgate or De Zerbi.
Pep’ll be gone if City’s foubd guilty of the 115 charges imo. Likely gone within 1-2 years so any manager we hire now has a real shot at the title imo, as few managers last for just 1 year.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Each time I click on this I half expect there to be some link or news but it's nothing :lol:

PizzaPlanet

I wouldn't mind him this summer at all.

Our squad is in such a state that we won't be challenging for years, but I'm fairly certain Tuchel would make watching us more bearable and that we would at least win against the Coventries and the Sheffield Uniteds of this world more often than not.

He interviews well, and shows some passion on the sidelines.

I also feel he would have no time for the bullshit served up by our players, contrary to Ole and (to some extent) ten Hag.

Teja

Each time I click on this I half expect there to be some link or news but it's nothing :lol:
Yep same. I even put in the effort to scroll back a few pages but yep always ends in disappointment. I'm going to fantasize about his 3-4-2-1 though. It will cover several of our core tactical problems under Ten Hag and I think fits our existing players well. In possession it is:

----------------------- Onana -----------------------
--------- RCB ---- Martinez --- LCB ----------
------------------ Mainoo ---- CM2 --------------
-- Dalot ----------------------------------- WB2 ---
------------------ Bruno --- Mount ---------------
------------------------- Hojlund ---------------------

What we'll get out of it:

1. Stable 3-2 midfield structure by default without the fullback needing to invert or fancy things like that. Some cover for the defence finally.

2. Martinez as the middle of the 3 CBs. Covers his flaws and lets us take advantage of his passing ability.

3. Two #10s, maybe we can squeeze Mount and Bruno in there.

4. I think Shaw / Maguire can run the LCB role for a year, we might get away with not signing anyone.

So we'll need an attacking LWB, a CM to partner Mainoo and an aggressive RCB. It lines up well with our transfer targets so far. Very plausible to get 3 players in.

A link to his Chelsea days: https://thirdmanruns.wordpress.com/...tional-play-an-analysis-of-chelseas-build-up/

Teja

He's getting there!

Let him get to the PL and do well for a year or two. Kompany looked good in the Championship and Pep was hyping him as a future City manager. Don't think there are many takers right now,

OsloRed

Let him get to the PL and do well for a year or two. Kompany looked good in the Championship and Pep was hyping him as a future City manager. Don't think there are many takers right now,
Expecting him to do well with Ipswich is expecting him to make miracles happen. Them not getting 20th if they get up would be amazing with their squad and position. If Burnley escape the drop I'd say Kompany has done good as well, I'd say.

Dazzmondo

If Kompany manages to keep Burnley up, he really won't have done badly. The reality is the 3 teams that came up are the 3 weakest squads in the league and by quite a distance. That's moreso down to the growing financial gap between the PL and Championship

tomaldinho1

I'm not sure, look at Pool and Arsenal. As long as you commit to backing a coach over a period of time, there's nothing to suggest you can't challenge them. The issue is normal teams can't sustain that spending because winning the league and/or CL isn't lucrative enough compared to how much players cost. Are Ineos going to commit to 2-3 seasons of heavy spending when they find a coach they rate is the question for us.

Klopp only really had 2 big windows, Alisson, Keita, Fabinho the summer after VVD, Salah, Oxlade-Chamberlain. Pool, as much as we take the mick out of them, basically funded their build off the back off one big sale in Coutinho because, looking at their windows, they are constantly needing to sell to buy and their net spend is incredibly low. The point being 2 big windows on the back of having a coach who actually develops cheaper players, was enough to get to 3 CL finals, win the PL and finish 2nd twice by 1 point.

You might think in isolation, "well Klopp is clearly a truly elite coach so it's impossible to just find another manager as good" but then Arteta, a coach with no first team experience and who labours around 8th spot for a couple of seasons whilst building a team, and somewhat learning on the job, is now showing once again you can challenge but it takes heavy spending. Let's be honest, Arteta has needed much more money than Klopp did and bigger transfer windows, since Arteta arrived at Arsenal only Chelsea and City have spent more than him, but the proof is there for all to see.

We wax lyrical about managers and their abilities to completely change a team's fortunes but the sad fact is the biggest spenders tend to win things, even United in our decade of mismanagement and ridiculous recruitment are probably the 4th or 5th most successful PL team by trophies because we've thrown money after coaches and players like it's going out of fashion. If City get titles stripped Mou and Ole both won the league with distinctly average United sides. The issue with state backed clubs (when they're allowed to cheat) is they don't have periods like Liverpool did the season after they won the title and had to consolidate, or when United sold Ronaldo and the Glazers gifted us Tony V, or when Leicester won the league, sold their best player to Chelsea and spent about 20m net...there's no cycle to building teams, they can just keep pouring money in without a care in the world.

Woziak

There’s a lot of quality out there if we’re clever as Guido at Betis is also like Rabiot on a free and would be a like for like Casemiro replacement but with legs and there’s also Varela at Porto who wouldn’t cost a fortune, I agree with Neves as he reminds me a lot of Carrick but better at ball winning.

I’m sure Bastoni has said before he doesn’t ever want to leave Inter and is kind of their poster boy plus with him being left footed it would mean two left footers at centre back with him and Martinez, I’d love either of Silva at Benfica or Diomande at Sporting and think Diomande may have a release clause this summer.

My only concern with Olise is the hamstring injuries as I remember Giggs and Michael Owen having major problems in their 20’s with their hamstrings and with how inept our medical department is that could be a problem and it’s the same with Neto at Wolves, if we manage to move Greenwood and Sancho on and maybe even Antony I’d throw the lot at Chelsea for Palmer who’s a massive United fan as is his whole family.

Looks like Osimhen is off to PSG so he’d be off the table but I think Toney only has a year left on his contract so that could be the move although everything depends on what we can do with outgoings. You’re far better with finances than me but moving Casemiro, Varane and Martial on is £1 million a week in wages then there could be Bayindir, Lindelof, Williams, Malacia, Fernandez, Eriksen, VDB, Hannibal, Pellestri, Sancho and Greenwood which could bring in £150 million and probably another £1 million a week in wages off the books too.
Yep, we have a list of about 15 centre backs with another left footer Max Kilman recently added and Jared Branthwaite another left footed CB, it’s looks to me that we want one Right sided CB and one left sided CB. It looks to all intent and purpose that three Centre Backs will be let go this summer; Varane, Lindelof and Johnny Evans who will take up a coaching role.

I think you have to be pragmatic Lysandro Martinez when fit is our best CB, but he’s been out now for 1 season out of two and he may find the physical PL something where this continues to happen.

I genuinely think we will only qualify for ECL and even that might not happen, as we’ll need at least 7 points and non defeat against Newcastle to qualify for Europa League.

Wilcox, Brailsford, Blanc, Ratcliffe and I dare say Berrada and Ashworth may all have created detailed dossiers on the squad and the coach, some more extensive than others and there I’ll be some sympathy to injuries and the poor mistakes made previously in recruitment.

I’d go further and say collectively they have been planing a huge overhaul since February 24 but not achieving CL has created a huge financial issue where they will now have to be more creative with player sales and player loans, I also think they now have firm concrete ideas on what’s needs to be done over the summer and winter transfer windows, I Say both because I can’t see even stage one changes all being implemented this summer but I’ll try and predict based on some obvious needs.

Defence - Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Tyrel Malacia, Diego Dalot, Lysandro Martinez, Willy Kambwala all stay, injury age, reliability. Homegrown status are reasons why. No one is suitable just yet to be promoted that leaves 6 defenders, 2 of which have huge injury concerns.
I genuinely believe without sales our budget is £150m and £50m is to be allocated to Defence, Midfield and Attack.

Available Spend -
£50m+ V Lindelof(10m/120k),
R Varanne(340k), J Evans (60k),
A Fernandez (6m/20k), AWB (25m/100k)
This might mean that £85m in funds is generated for transfer but due to A Fernandez being a youth product and 100% profit more likely £100m plus wages of £640k per week or £33m per year now saved on wages. Therefore we could assume that if we continue to buy players on 4/5 year contracts especially if under 25 then the actual budget now allocated to the defence is more likely about £50m per year in both transfer fees and wages, with Agent fees being paid upfront and likely to be 10% of agreed transfer fee. The hard part is facilitating sales for A Fernandez, B Lindelof and AWB, we all saw how Maguire and Mctominay sales went down last year!

Targets;
Let’s say we get our perfect window with the defence and mostly first or second targets.
RCB - J C Todibo (35m/100k on a 5 year contract = Total Cost 7m + 5m =£12m)
Agent Fee up to £3.5m /Age 24
LCB - J Branthwaite(55m/80k on a 5 year contract = Total Cost of 11m + 4m = £15m)
Agent Fee up to £5.5m /Age 2
RB/RWB -J Frimpong(35m/120k a 5 year contract =Total cost of 7m + 6m = £13m )
LB/LWB - R Ait Nouri(30m/80k on a 5 year
Contract = Total Cost of 6m + 4m = £10m)
Agent Fee up to £3m/ Age 22

This would be a great upgrade and give the club 2 more homegrown and 10 defenders. The headline would be UNITED SPEND £155m or £120m Net to upgrade their defence and there’s not much left to upgrade the rest of the team but the reality is the club through wages saved created a budget of £50m yearly to make the upgrades and the cost is £50m yearly

Nowadays nearly all players fees are paid in instalments and this doesn’t really matter from an accounting point of view as all clubs use accrual accounting. The instalments matter only from a Cashflow perspective. From an accounting point of view when a club buys a player it’s a basic entry on the purchase ledger. So for example if we bought Jeremie Frimpong with his buy out at £35m, tie him to a 5 year contract and the agreed payments are £15m up front and £20m over the next two years.

On the books the player would be registered like this;
£15m (cash upfront payment)
+ £35m Asset
(Frimpong’s cost to Man United, accounting principles state should be lower of the cost or net releasable value)
- Liability £20m (The remaining instalments we owe)

In the following years accounts after another £10m instalment has been made then the balance sheet would look like this;

+ £35m Asset
+ £25m Cash
- Liability of £10m

I’m trying to show fans that the real issue at United with transfers is not what PSR/FSP allow the club to spend because it United has huge revenues.

The real issue is The Glazers and Woodward exhausted the cash reserves of the club, financed it up to its maximum and now there is no actual cash to do these deals.

United would never have tried to do £35m deal with 3 instalments and most clubs wouldn’t have accepted, the deals were done with 1, 2maximum instalments so a huge transfer like Pogba, United paid £50m up front and then two instalments of £20m.

Sir Jim has invested $200m about £160m to allow the club to have a working capital by paying off the overdue credit card facility.

Lets say £100m of working capital is allocated to transfers, even if we could get those 4 deals actually done on 3 year payment plans, the cost in real terms would be £50m plus £15.5m in agent fees which is £65.5m of the cash, now you would only have £35m of cash for potentially 3 or 4 more players to facilitate actual deals this summer.

This is the main reason Saudi is so important to a lot of PL clubs they pay upfront and increase the working Cashflow capital of the club. We sell Casemiro for £30m this summer and now you have £65m left to arrange the additional transfers.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

Tuchel for 2-3 years and then someone like McKenna/Potter/etc if they prove themselves more seems right to me.

RatPack

Was fired in Chelsea, PSG and now Bayern.
Typical manager that can make a result in 1-2 seasons and then destroys everything.
I would prefer to keep ETH and get the players out instead even though I am no longer sure about ETH.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
There is something wrong with a manager who has lasted only two seasons at every major club he's been at.
Typical manager that can make a result in 1-2 seasons and then destroys everything.
I would prefer to keep ETH and get the players out instead even though I am no longer sure about ETH.
Staying somewhere for 2-3 seasons and then getting sacked is the norm in football. It shouldn't be perceived as a red flag.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Not what we should be aiming for. Christ.
Aiming for? My point is we shouldn't be writing him off because he's been sacked from jobs before. We're the only fanbase in football that treats managerial sackings as some sort of scarlet letter.

Dr Foo

He was stupidly sacked at Chelsea, and was quite at home and competent there until their new owners came.

He’s a sensible option unless the new management team are sure that there’s some other niche indie manager that can fit their ethos for the future

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
One of the very best tacticians in the game and maybe the best cup manager around. But he has fallen out with higher ups and/or players at four straight clubs. People talk about the third year curse with Mourinho but Tuchel hasn't even made it to the third year with three of his four last clubs and the one time he did he left PSG in December of that third year.

Tuchel is the manager you want when you already have a high quality squad laden with experienced top players and you need a manager to figure out how to get the best out of them and compete for honors. I don't think he's the manager you want when you're trying to build that kind of squad in the first place.

Woziak

Incumbent managers never survive a takeover. Especially ones as shit as ours.

Even when they are doing well they are usually booted straight out the second they hit a patch of bad form.

My guess is that they haven’t seen the worth in sacking him with us out the CL/League Cup so early and with us obviously doing nothing in the league.

We’ve been awful for about 13 months now and they are not clearing out the hierarchy and hiring Berada, Wilcox and Ashworth etc to leave this total failure in charge.

They will roll the dice and Tuchel is the best available IMO
This post is one that, I agree with 100% they won’t tolerate his arrogance and I’m sure when he leaves he will rant like LVG did rather than look at themselves!

With only about £100m of cash to work with this Transfer window, the main reason Sir Jim is reluctant to pay Dan Asworth’s Asking fee of £12-15m is because that’s been put aside to pay ETH and his staff off, which now CL can’t be achieved will be about £9-10m for him and his staff!

BorisManUtd

One of the very best tacticians in the game and maybe the best cup manager around. But he has fallen out with higher ups and/or players at four straight clubs. People talk about the third year curse with Mourinho but Tuchel hasn't even made it to the third year with three of his four last clubs and the one time he did he left PSG in December of that third year.

Tuchel is the manager you want when you already have a high quality squad laden with experienced top players and you need a manager to figure out how to get the best out of them and compete for honors. I don't think he's the manager you want when you're trying to build that kind of squad in the first place.
Who would you get in current United situation? Or would you even keep ten Hag?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The good news is that he's got one hell of a CV. That means that he'll be given some slack by the media and INEOS. The bad news is that he had arguments wherever he went, he's got a short term mindset and he expects to work with quality players something that we don't have.

I don't think he's the right fit for us

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yep, we have a list of about 15 centre backs with another left footer Max Kilman recently added and Jared Branthwaite another left footed CB, it’s looks to me that we want one Right sided CB and one left sided CB. It looks to all intent and purpose that three Centre Backs will be let go this summer; Varane, Lindelof and Johnny Evans who will take up a coaching role.

I think you have to be pragmatic Lysandro Martinez when fit is our best CB, but he’s been out now for 1 season out of two and he may find the physical PL something where this continues to happen.

I genuinely think we will only qualify for ECL and even that might not happen, as we’ll need at least 7 points and non defeat against Newcastle to qualify for Europa League.

Wilcox, Brailsford, Blanc, Ratcliffe and I dare say Berrada and Ashworth may all have created detailed dossiers on the squad and the coach, some more extensive than others and there I’ll be some sympathy to injuries and the poor mistakes made previously in recruitment.

I’d go further and say collectively they have been planing a huge overhaul since February 24 but not achieving CL has created a huge financial issue where they will now have to be more creative with player sales and player loans, I also think they now have firm concrete ideas on what’s needs to be done over the summer and winter transfer windows, I Say both because I can’t see even stage one changes all being implemented this summer but I’ll try and predict based on some obvious needs.

Defence - Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Tyrel Malacia, Diego Dalot, Lysandro Martinez, Willy Kambwala all stay, injury age, reliability. Homegrown status are reasons why. No one is suitable just yet to be promoted that leaves 6 defenders, 2 of which have huge injury concerns.
I genuinely believe without sales our budget is £150m and £50m is to be allocated to Defence, Midfield and Attack.

Available Spend -
This might mean that £85m in funds is generated for transfer but due to A Fernandez being a youth product and 100% profit more likely £100m plus wages of £640k per week or £33m per year now saved on wages. Therefore we could assume that if we continue to buy players on 4/5 year contracts especially if under 25 then the actual budget now allocated to the defence is more likely about £50m per year in both transfer fees and wages, with Agent fees being paid upfront and likely to be 10% of agreed transfer fee. The hard part is facilitating sales for A Fernandez, B Lindelof and AWB, we all saw how Maguire and Mctominay sales went down last year!

Targets;
Let’s say we get our perfect window with the defence and mostly first or second targets.
LCB - J Branthwaite(55m/80k on a 5 year contract = Total Cost of 11m + 4m = £15m)

This would be a great upgrade and give the club 2 more homegrown and 10 defenders. The headline would be UNITED SPEND £155m or £120m Net to upgrade their defence and there’s not much left to upgrade the rest of the team but the reality is the club through wages saved created a budget of £50m yearly to make the upgrades and the cost is £50m yearly

Nowadays nearly all players fees are paid in instalments and this doesn’t really matter from an accounting point of view as all clubs use accrual accounting. The instalments matter only from a Cashflow perspective. From an accounting point of view when a club buys a player it’s a basic entry on the purchase ledger. So for example if we bought Jeremie Frimpong with his buy out at £35m, tie him to a 5 year contract and the agreed payments are £15m up front and £20m over the next two years.

+ £35m Asset
(Frimpong’s cost to Man United, accounting principles state should be lower of the cost or net releasable value)

In the following years accounts after another £10m instalment has been made then the balance sheet would look like this;

+ £35m Asset
+ £25m Cash
- Liability of £10m

I’m trying to show fans that the real issue at United with transfers is not what PSR/FSP allow the club to spend because it United has huge revenues.

The real issue is The Glazers and Woodward exhausted the cash reserves of the club, financed it up to its maximum and now there is no actual cash to do these deals.

United would never have tried to do £35m deal with 3 instalments and most clubs wouldn’t have accepted, the deals were done with 1, 2maximum instalments so a huge transfer like Pogba, United paid £50m up front and then two instalments of £20m.

Sir Jim has invested $200m about £160m to allow the club to have a working capital by paying off the overdue credit card facility.

Lets say £100m of working capital is allocated to transfers, even if we could get those 4 deals actually done on 3 year payment plans, the cost in real terms would be £50m plus £15.5m in agent fees which is £65.5m of the cash, now you would only have £35m of cash for potentially 3 or 4 more players to facilitate actual deals this summer.

This is the main reason Saudi is so important to a lot of PL clubs they pay upfront and increase the working Cashflow capital of the club. We sell Casemiro for £30m this summer and now you have £65m left to arrange the additional transfers.
Nicely put together, but in the real world I don't see many, if any, of those players signing 5 year contracts on those salaries

Don't Kill Bill

Available Spend -

Targets;

+ £35m Asset

+ £35m Asset
+ £25m Cash
- Liability of £10m

Interesting reading.

Wonder if this means we have to sell an Amad, Mct or Rashford to make it work.

AdNani

Give me the examples of Tuchel ‘Destroying everything.’

croadyman

Can’t see INEOS going for him. He doesn’t seem like the type of manager they’ll want. They’ll know full well he falls out with owners if he doesn’t get his own way. They’ll want someone in the mould of Ole, which is why we’ve been linked with potter and Southgate. They seem like the managers that will accept anything and just be grateful of the opportunity to manage a massive club. They’re like yes men.
We definitely don't need a yes man in this dressing room but fear you could well be right

PeteReDevil

iPete
Yep same. I even put in the effort to scroll back a few pages but yep always ends in disappointment. I'm going to fantasize about his 3-4-2-1 though. It will cover several of our core tactical problems under Ten Hag and I think fits our existing players well. In possession it is:

----------------------- Onana -----------------------
--------- RCB ---- Martinez --- LCB ----------
------------------ Mainoo ---- CM2 --------------
-- Dalot ----------------------------------- WB2 ---
------------------ Bruno --- Mount ---------------
------------------------- Hojlund ---------------------

What we'll get out of it:

1. Stable 3-2 midfield structure by default without the fullback needing to invert or fancy things like that. Some cover for the defence finally.

2. Martinez as the middle of the 3 CBs. Covers his flaws and lets us take advantage of his passing ability.

3. Two #10s, maybe we can squeeze Mount and Bruno in there.

4. I think Shaw / Maguire can run the LCB role for a year, we might get away with not signing anyone.

So we'll need an attacking LWB, a CM to partner Mainoo and an aggressive RCB. It lines up well with our transfer targets so far. Very plausible to get 3 players in.

A link to his Chelsea days: https://thirdmanruns.wordpress.com/...tional-play-an-analysis-of-chelseas-build-up/
3-4-2-1 would mean less intervention in regards to the current squad as well. Garnacho is an option on one of the 10's too. Hell, give him the no. 10 shirt

Teja

3-4-2-1 would mean less intervention in regards to the current squad as well. Garnacho is an option on one of the 10's too. Hell, give him the no. 10 shirt
Yeah he played Werner there before I think. The #10 role doesn't have to be super rigid. We need some players like Rashford who can get in behind and some like Mount / Bruno who want ball to feet.

Garnacho I'm less sure about at #10. I feel like he'll get moved to the wing back role similar to Hudson-Odoi.