Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

davidmichael

People are going way overboard regarding Tuchel’s style of play. I don’t think it’s that bad at all. He’s no klopp but he’s no Mourinho either. Far from it.
Not only that but Ratcliffe himself said that he wants us to move to a Head Coach model and that our style of play will be decided by our footballing structure so Ashworth, Wilcox and our Head Of Recruitment once that’s decided then the Head Coach will coach players in that system.

croadyman

He got annoyed when Boehly and co forced him to be a bigger part of transfers and squad building. He just wants to coach. INEOS apparently want someone who just sticks to the coaching. Seems like the most sensible choice for a year or two until someone special becomes available.
Yeah that's how I hope INEOS see it too

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Well then, they're actually considering keeping Tuchel for another year. Move FFS INEOS. This reminds me of the sagas under Woody.

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/...och-wieder-ein-thema-664231cbd4f20408081250f9
There's been reports for weeks that they want him to stay as they realised they fecked up, and it's him that's decided that he doesn't want to stay anymore. That might depend on having a decent job in England to walk into though; if nothing comes up he might stay there for another season or so.

Wilt

Unforgivable if INEOS allow Tuchel to slip through the net without so much as even talking to him.

Foolsgold21

I think if it was still the Glazers in charge - he would be the new Manager. And what would follow would be more of the two year cycle where you have one positive season, followed by a disaster and fallings out and then his inevitable sacking.

However with INEOS in charge, I am starting to think they will go more leftfield to fill the "Head Coach" role.

davidmichael

Nobody reading anything into Flick walking away from talks with Bayern?
What I’m getting from everything at Bayern is that there’s something seriously wrong behind the scenes as Alonso, Rangnick and Nagelsmaan have all definitely turned down the job whilst Tuchel has said publicly he’s leaving and it looks like De Zerbi is staying at Brighton.

I won’t pretend I know the ins and outs of Bayern but there must be some kind of behind the scenes power struggle or battle going on as Nagelsmaan and Tuchel have been fired then attempts made to bring them back/keep them, didn’t they change the boardroom in the summer ?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What I’m getting from everything at Bayern is that there’s something seriously wrong behind the scenes as Alonso, Rangnick and Nagelsmaan have all definitely turned down the job whilst Tuchel has said publicly he’s leaving and it looks like De Zerbi is staying at Brighton.

I won’t pretend I know the ins and outs of Bayern but there must be some kind of behind the scenes power struggle or battle going on as Nagelsmaan and Tuchel have been fired then attempts made to bring them back/keep them, didn’t they change the boardroom in the summer ?
If you list de Zerbi, you also have to mention at least Emery and Hoeneß who also were rumoured to be candidates but extended their current contracts. And yes, there has been a lot of power struggles in recent times. In former years Rummenigge and Hoeneß were leading the club. The "new generation" setup looked the following (only most important/relevant people):
Herbert Hainer - club president and head of the supervisory board of the corporation "FC Bayern München AG" which is running the football business and the key entity here - but keep in mind that it's a separate entity to the actual club.
Uli Hoeneß - member of the supervisory board
Karl-Heinz Rummenigge - member of the supervisory board
Oliver Kahn - CEO
Hasan Salihamidzic - Chief Sports Officer
Christian Dreesen - Chief Finances Officer (had that position for ages)
Marco Neppe - Technical Director
Christoph Freund - Sports Director (last of those to arrive)

Salihamidzic got his job already while Rummenigge was still CEO. Kahn and Salihamidzic worked to get Nagelsmann and were investing massive money in him, it was also these two who got rid of him and replaced him with Tuchel, which was seen as massively burning money and a huge gamble. When it became clear it hadn't paid off the supervisory board decided to fire those two just before the final matchday of last season, they even prohibited Kahn from joining the team and the celebrations when they surprisingly won the title then. Apparently he personally took it very bad, Salihamidzic was present so probably reacted in a different way :lol:

They then promoted Dreesen to become the new CEO and had to work with a makeshift structure during the summer. And it didn't work that well, which saw Marco Neppe fired as well - he apparently didn't perform as well during contract negotiations as hoped and the "old guard" had to step in to get things done. Still they fecked up several transfers (like Palinha on deadline day) and left Tuchel with a thin squad, much thinner they had planned. While Tuchel complained about that Dreesen brushed that aside with "he has to find solutions, that's what we pay him for". So there relationship was quite strained I think.

Therefore Bayern were running for most of the season without an executive level sports official and when it became clear that the season doesn't work very well Dreesen decided to fire Tuchel, probably with backing from Hoeneß. Very shortly after that they signed Max Eberl to become their new CSO. Who walked into a club that just fired a manager he wouldn't have fired and tasked him with finding a replacement (sidenote: the exact opposite of what's happening at United where nobody moves until the new sporting structure is in place).

So Bayern at the moment have an "old guard" that stepped in and keeps involved much more than they should and a "new guard" who have to prove that they actually are allowed to make decisions and can stand by them. Problem is, as Kahn/Salihamidzic proved even as a CEO you are quickly replacable if the former executives don't like your work.

So nobody knows who really makes decisions and the club and who really needs to back you when you become their new manager.

SoCross

If we are moving on from Ten Hag, he seems to be the logical, achievable, available coach for us.

Lentwood

We need someone who's going to be happy to take a couple of steps backwards to enable us to go forwards in three seasons time.

I don't see Tuchel being happy with that.

VixV

We need someone who's going to be happy to take a couple of steps backwards to enable us to go forwards in three seasons time.

I don't see Tuchel being happy with that.
We also need someone who is happy to work in a leaky stadium, with a leaky dressing room and a leaky goalkeeper. I can’t see many top class managers excited about that.

Frank Grimes

He's clearly the most qualified of all coaches mentioned.
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of Mckenna too but Tuchel would be my choice as I've always been impressed with the way he handles the media's nonsense. He knows what it entails to manage big clubs.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
So nobody knows who really makes decisions and the club and who really needs to back you when you become their new manager.
Everybody knows who makes decisions behind the curtain at Bayern. And it happens he doesn't like Tuchel very much.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He's clearly the most qualified of all coaches mentioned.
I'm beginning to warm to the idea of Mckenna too but Tuchel would be my choice as I've always been impressed with the way he handles the media's nonsense. He knows what it entails to manage big clubs.
An other funny thing is that his publicly shared issues that relates to Football are generally correct and rarely unreasonable.

Ricardo de la Vega

News about Thomas Frank today; big fan of Frank, and I think he'd be a great fit for the club. I like Tuchel, but for me Frank is the way forward.

Fallon d'Floor

Only really interested in McKenna, I'd be disappointed with anybody else (anybody else realistic)
You'd have to see how McKenna does in The PL before taking such a risk.

Liverpool hired Rodgers after he got Swansea promoted and had a stable debut season in The PL. They finished 11th (47 points).

McKenna could end up struggling to adapt to The PL. Kompany did. Who knows.

croadyman

Liverpool hired Rodgers after he got Swansea promoted and had a stable debut season in The PL. They finished 11th (47 points).

Precisely

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Wouldn't that be the third option?
No because that means I feel the other choices are underwhelming when I don't see it that way. There's a handful of managers I'd give a chance to. Tuchel is a 'safe' choice in my opinion, and probably the most logical. But there's other relatively unknown quantities that are less proven but more exciting to me. I love a good roll of the dice.

Bertie Wooster

Well I think you can dismiss the German League too but it was worth pointing out he took the team which won 10 titles in a row and very nearly lost it, and then actually has lost it this season.

I see very little in his career that suggests he's a top manager. He has padded his CV with lots of easy jobs, had the usual new manager bounce at Chelsea, and even then never lasts more than a year or two. The Dutch league is not great either but at least there is competition and Ten Hag did build a very good team there.
Surely they're not 'easy jobs' to get though, are they? You'd think you'd have to have proven yourself in the game as a competent manager to be able to be appointed by so many big teams in the most sought after jobs for a manager?

One appointment, at a club you have connections - like OGS and Lampard - you can question whether they really ever had the ability to deserve that job. But when you've been appointed by so many of the top clubs - so that's where your titles have been won - then you must have done enough to get yourself into that group of managers?

My issue is he still at that level or, like so many of those available such as Mourinho, Conte, etc - have they peaked in their managerial careers and its the equivalent of buying our 30+ year old players when their past their prime?

I've genuinely no idea who would be the best option. We seem to have the choices of managers with good CV's but a question as to their current level, or young up and coming ones who would be big gambles at such a huge club and with such a huge task on their hands. I just don't see any stand out candidates.

croadyman

No because that means I feel the other choices are underwhelming when I don't see it that way. There's a handful of managers I'd give a chance to. Tuchel is a 'safe' choice in my opinion, and probably the most logical. But there's other relatively unknown quantities that are less proven but more exciting to me. I love a good roll of the dice.
Who would you like to see us roll the dice on?

pocco

loco
Who would you like to see us roll the dice on?
I'd be happy to give a chance to somebody like Motta, for example. Inzaghi would be my number 1 choice. Would be happy with Tuchel.

Controversial opinions are that I still think there's a good coach in Potter and I would give him a chance. I talked a lot about how impressed I was by Brighton when he was there, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for his time at Chelsea due to the turmoil and player turnover, which was headed up by somebody who has no clue about football.

I also think De Zerbi is a good coach. He's been dealt a poor hand this season with injuries throughout his team, in every position. He's missed his first choice attacking front 3 for the season, missed full backs and centre backs for large parts, had midfielders in and out with injury. And they don't have depth to deal with it. Even with injuries and depleted teams, they've still displayed the same principles. I think that they'd look good again next season if they get the likes of Mitoma, March and Ferguson fit. He's getting criticised a lot right now but I'm confident he'll change people's mind again if he's still there next season.

On a side note, I think there's a few players at Brighton to keep an eye on. Joao Pedro could become a real force soon. But lesser mentioned players like Barco, Offiah and Baleba look like players we need to keep an eye on.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Unfortunately it may be possible he stays at Bayern.

Manuel Neuer reportedly leading a dressing room that is 80% behind him to stay on.

Neuer is highly influential according to reports.

Wilt

Unfortunately it may be possible he stays at Bayern.

Manuel Neuer reportedly leading a dressing room that is 80% behind him to stay on.

Neuer is highly influential according to reports.
Yep sadly looks that way. Which says a lot about Tuchel as a manager if the players want him to stay.

INEOS will live to regret allowing Tuchel to slip through the net.

Lentwood

It's getting harder and harder for promoted clubs to stay in the league. Sheffield Utd and Burnley have been in the PL recently and both have struggled badly.

Ipswich have had two promotions in two seasons and are using mostly a similar squad to the one which was midtable in League One when McKenna took over.

If they struggle under McKenna next season, that wouldn't prove much to me other than they badly lack quality

croadyman

I'd be happy to give a chance to somebody like Motta, for example. Inzaghi would be my number 1 choice. Would be happy with Tuchel.

Controversial opinions are that I still think there's a good coach in Potter and I would give him a chance. I talked a lot about how impressed I was by Brighton when he was there, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for his time at Chelsea due to the turmoil and player turnover, which was headed up by somebody who has no clue about football.

I also think De Zerbi is a good coach. He's been dealt a poor hand this season with injuries throughout his team, in every position. He's missed his first choice attacking front 3 for the season, missed full backs and centre backs for large parts, had midfielders in and out with injury. And they don't have depth to deal with it. Even with injuries and depleted teams, they've still displayed the same principles. I think that they'd look good again next season if they get the likes of Mitoma, March and Ferguson fit. He's getting criticised a lot right now but I'm confident he'll change people's mind again if he's still there next season.

On a side note, I think there's a few players at Brighton to keep an eye on. Joao Pedro could become a real force soon. But lesser mentioned players like Barco, Offiah and Baleba look like players we need to keep an eye on.
I just think Potter's time at Chelsea shows he hasn't got the personality to manage a club of this size. My only concern with De Zerbi is the fact he has taken a few hidings this season. I don't really know enough about Inzaghi and Motta to really make a comment on either. Sadly it's starting to look like Neuer has rallied round Bayern dressing room to persuade Tuchel.

pocco

loco
I just think Potter's time at Chelsea shows he hasn't got the personality to manage a club of this size. My only concern with De Zerbi is the fact he has taken a few hidings this season. I don't really know enough about Inzaghi and Motta to really make a comment on either. Sadly it's starting to look like Neuer has rallied round Bayern dressing room to persuade Tuchel.
The problem with judging Potter at Chelsea is that there were so many moving parts and the squad they created for him had weaknesses all over the park. They bought a number of young, inexperienced players, added them to some average or past it players and expected it to work. They lost their best CB in Rudiger who was great the season before, Sterling was a poor signing, as was Koulibaly.They'd just been forced into an ownership change by the UK government, and had Todd Boehly acting like a madman, taking on the DoF type role with zero knowledge of football. To try to hit the ground running and cobble something together within a season was always a difficult ask. And their season was floundering under Tuchel initially.

Keep in mind Chelsea have spent a further ~£250m since his sacking and are still struggling. Everyone has their own opinion but I think that was a poisoned chalice of a job at that time and I saw enough at Brighton for me to know he is a good coach.

croadyman

The problem with judging Potter at Chelsea is that there were so many moving parts and the squad they created for him had weaknesses all over the park. They bought a number of young, inexperienced players, added them to some average or past it players and expected it to work. They lost their best CB in Rudiger who was great the season before, Sterling was a poor signing, as was Koulibaly.They'd just been forced into an ownership change by the UK government, and had Todd Boehly acting like a madman, taking on the DoF type role with zero knowledge of football. To try to hit the ground running and cobble something together within a season was always a difficult ask. And their season was floundering under Tuchel initially.

Keep in mind Chelsea have spent a further ~£250m since his sacking and are still struggling. Everyone has their own opinion but I think that was a poisoned chalice of a job at that time and I saw enough at Brighton for me to know he is a good coach.
Do you think he has enough charisma?