Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Do you think he has enough charisma?
He's not outspoken like other top managers is he, so you could argue he's not the most charismatic. I think he's more of a studious manager, calm and collected. His journey into management and the work he did before Brighton was both interesting and impressive. A strong background in sports psychology, a good story of taking (if I remember rightly) a semi pro team in Osterunds all the way to the Europa League, finishing 2nd in their group and even getting a result against Arsenal I think before being knocked out.

The most important thing for me is that his coaching and philosophy is always evident. At both Swansea and Brighton he implemented a good possession game and it was mostly pleasing on the eye. Apparently it was the same at Osterunds too. I think what we need is a coach that has proven they can implement such a game plan here, and see where they can take us. There's other managers too that can do this, such as those I mentioned previously.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Unfortunately it may be possible he stays at Bayern.

Manuel Neuer reportedly leading a dressing room that is 80% behind him to stay on.

Neuer is highly influential according to reports.
Weird scenario there -- it's normally the players who are against the manager but the board keeping the manager on until the position becomes totally untenable. Don't normally see it the other way round.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Weird scenario there -- it's normally the players who are against the manager but the board keeping the manager on until the position becomes totally untenable. Don't normally see it the other way round.
Just confirms that the decision to sack him was more or less made to cover up that the board messed up the squad planning.

Wilt

Unforgivable letting Tuchel slip through the net without even as much talking to him

BorisManUtd

Well at least we know. Odd how all these clubs were looking for a manager but in the end Xavi stays at Barca, Tuchel at Bayern, Poch at Chelsea (most probably) and possibly ten Hag at United as well. Only Liverpool surely getting a new manager in Slot.

croadyman

Well at least we know. Odd how all these clubs were looking for a manager but in the end Xavi stays at Barca, Tuchel at Bayern, Poch at Chelsea (most probably) and possibly ten Hag at United as well. Only Liverpool surely getting a new manager in Slot.
Yeah the supposed managerial merry go round this summer is coming to nothing after all

Chairman Steve

What a circus at Bayern that they publicly announce they’re sacking the manager to now completely 180 that :lol: If that was us, we’d be rightfully getting ‘amateur hour’ and ‘don’t know what they’re doing‘ calls

Infra-red

What a circus at Bayern that they publicly announce they’re sacking the manager to now completely 180 that :lol: If that was us, we’d be rightfully getting ‘amateur hour’ and ‘don’t know what they’re doing‘ calls
It is a bit embarrassing. They will try to spin it as a change of heart from the Bayern board and an uptick in performances/results, but in reality it's pretty clear that they couldn't secure any of their targets to replace him and have had to go back to Tuchel with their tails between their legs.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I’m more surprised by Tuchel than Bayern’s tail between the legs moment. After they publicly criticised and flogged him, why did he decide to resign? Bayern’s sudden change of heart is only because they couldn’t get Alonso or any of their targets. He should have left them without a successor in sight rather than making up, Bayern would be tasting their own medicine, humiliated and scrambling around to appoint someone, anyone.

Last edited:

BorisManUtd

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, true. Not following closely but they're a mess. All the managers rejecting them reminds me of summer of 2013 when every player rejected us and we had to go for Fellaini on
I’m more surprised by Tuchel than Bayern’s tail between the legs moment. After they publicly criticised and flogged him, why did he decide to resign? Bayern’s sudden change of heart is only because they couldn’t get Alonso or any of their targets. He should have left them without a successor in sight, rather than making up, Bayern would be tasting their own medicine, humiliated and scrambling around to appoint someone, anyone.
Yeah they basically went for all these managers, got rejected by everone and then went back to him :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I’m more surprised by Tuchel than Bayern’s tail between the legs moment. After they publicly criticised and flogged him, why did he decide to resign? Bayern’s sudden change of heart is only because they couldn’t get Alonso or any of their targets. He should have left them without a successor in sight rather than making up, Bayern would be tasting their own medicine, humiliated and scrambling around to appoint someone, anyone.
IF this happens he'll want to have assurances to get his way. Him staying and continuously being able to let Hoeneß taste his own medicine could be quite funny to watch, even more so than just for a short moment when he declines their offer.

croadyman

Ornstein usually spot on and thinks him, Southgate and Potter aren't near the top of our list.

RORY65

Ornstein usually spot on and thinks him, Southgate and Potter aren't near the top of our list.
Laurie Whitwell said the same about Tuchel last week although I think even if he was at the top of our list he would have stayed at Bayern over coming to United anyway. It feels like Ten Hag is going to stay.

croadyman

If Tuchel is staying, I am starting to wonder if we'll stick with Ten Hag, and I was certain he was gone.
Yeah unless INEOS have agreed a deal completely under wraps then I am certain he stays now

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Interesting timing with Barcelona reportedly planning to sack Xavi today...
Wait what?! :lol:

I'd actually be pretty interested in Xavi coaching Mainoo for a few years...

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
As a Chelsea fan who loves and will always love Tuchel, there is now a very clear pattern with that would imo make him a SUPER weird appointment for United. He brings pretty much guaranteed short term success on the pitch but then quickly (and often publicly) falls out with club hierarchy. Whether that be with recruitment or whatever else. Now happened at all of Dortmund, PSG, Chelsea, and Bayern.

You guys sacking Ten Hag and appointing Tuchel would feel very much like Spurs going for Mourinho and Conte to me. A club who have gone so long without major silverware that you’re desperate. And in that desperation you appoint a fiery, combative short term manager that burns his club out after just a couple of years over and over again.

Fallon d'Floor

As a Chelsea fan who loves and will always love Tuchel, there is now a very clear pattern with that would imo make him a SUPER weird appointment for United. He brings pretty much guaranteed short term success on the pitch but then quickly (and often publicly) falls out with club hierarchy. Whether that be with recruitment or whatever else. Now happened at all of Dortmund, PSG, Chelsea, and Bayern.

You guys sacking Ten Hag and appointing Tuchel would feel very much like Spurs going for Mourinho and Conte to me. A club who have gone so long without major silverware that you’re desperate. And in that desperation you appoint a fiery, combative short term manager that burns his club out after just a couple of years over and over again.
I'd see Tuchel as a 2 year manager for us. 3 years if everything went perfect.

If he can produce seasons similar to his 2 seasons at BVB and his first 2 seasons at PSG, that would be ideal. He didn't fall out with anyone.

He was fine at Chelsea under Abramovich too. Those initial 16 months before Boehly got involved.

Managers like McKenna might then be a serious option in 2-3 years time. He could be United's version of Pellegrini.

aganley

I'd see Tuchel as a 2 year manager for us. 3 years if everything went perfect.

If he can produce seasons similar to his 2 seasons at BVB and his first 2 seasons at PSG, that would be ideal. He didn't fall out with anyone.

He was fine at Chelsea under Abramovich too. Those initial 16 months before Boehly got involved.

Managers like McKenna might then be a serious option in 2-3 years time. He could be United's version of Pellegrini.
So you are suggesting we get a short term manager who flirts with all the big clubs and would drop any intrest in utd when he hears the barc job is available.

Michael T

I wouldn't touch Tuchel with a barge pole. He will demand we buy the overpriced ageing players he thinks he'll need to get success, then throw his toys out the window, two years down the line when we refuse to give him more of the same - leaving us right where we started, unsuccessful and with ageing players on bloated contracts we can't move on!
I'd rather stick with EtH or bring in McKenna.

Judas

Open to offers
I think he had to leave, I don't think anyone would have looked good if he'd stuck around. Have to have some personal and professional pride. They booted him, couldn't find anyone better, and came crawling back. embarrassing club.

Judas

Open to offers
I wouldn't touch Tuchel with a barge pole. He will demand we buy the overpriced ageing players he thinks he'll need to get success, then throw his toys out the window, two years down the line when we refuse to give him more of the same - leaving us right where we started, unsuccessful and with ageing players on bloated contracts we can't move on!
I just....don't think this sounds like Tuchel? He's worked well with young players and doesn't seem overly obsessed with the type of players you talk about? Sounds like you're describing a certain former Utd manager to me.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I think the difference between him and Conte/Mourinho is when he has been sacked, the fans have normally still be on his side. I remember that being the case for Chelsea. Bayern fans don't want him gone, for the most part.

Conte and Mourinho are/were more explosive and lose good faith a lot heavier.

The modern manager outlives his shelf life after 2-3 years anyways unless they're named Klopp, Pep, or Simeone.

Fallon d'Floor

INEOS will be the ones looking after transfers. Tuchel would be taking the role of head coach only should he accept.

Who are these overpriced, ageing players you associate with Tuchel from his previous jobs? Bayern, Chelsea and PSG signed the majority of players during his time at those clubs.

Leonardo was responsible for recruitment at PSG.

Chelsea barely signed any players under Abramovich while Tuchel was there. Boehly came in and ripped everything up. Tuchel barely got a chance to manage any of the new signing when they did start to spend again.

Bayern sold off their squad depth to fund Kane last summer. Kahn oversaw Salihamidžić who looked after recruitment until they were both sacked and replaced by Freund last summer.

Anyone who Tuchel fell out with was eventually sacked or exposed as being bad at their job. Leonardo, Boehly, Kahn and Salihamidžić all fall into this category.

Infra-red

INEOS will be the ones looking after transfers. Tuchel would be taking the role of head coach only should he accept.

Who are these overpriced, ageing players you associate with Tuchel from his previous jobs? Bayern, Chelsea and PSG signed the majority of players during his time at those clubs.

Leonardo was responsible for recruitment at PSG.

Chelsea barely signed any players under Abramovich while Tuchel was there. Boehly came in and ripped everything up. Tuchel barely got a chance to manage any of the new signing when they did start to spend again.

Bayern sold off their squad depth to fund Kane last summer. Kahn oversaw Salihamidžić who looked after recruitment until they were both sacked and replaced by Freund last summer.

Anyone who Tuchel fell out with was eventually sacked or exposed as being bad at their job. Leonardo, Boehly, Kahn and Salihamidžić all fall into this category.
Indeed. When you look at the list of people Tuchel has fallen out with - Leonardo, Boehly, Uli Hoeneß - they are some of the biggest know-nothing wankers in the game.

Michael T

I just....don't think this sounds like Tuchel? He's worked well with young players and doesn't seem overly obsessed with the type of players you talk about? Sounds like you're describing a certain former Utd manager to me.
Didn't he bring Kane and Dyer to BM - how old were they when they signed? Also sounds like he wanted to bring Bruno in this Summer - I think BM probably said no and that's why he's said he's leaving. I think he would try to do the same here to try for instant success. Two years down the line we would be in the same boat we are now.

hobbers

Didn't he bring Kane and Dyer to BM - how old were they when they signed? Also sounds like he wanted to bring Bruno in this Summer - I think BM probably said no and that's why he's said he's leaving. I think he would try to do the same here to try for instant success. Two years down the line we would be in the same boat we are now.
Any manager who could have signed Kane would have signed Kane....?

And obviously he has nothing to do with the Bruno links since they announced he was leaving ages ago and he wont have had much if any input on transfer targets.

What you've done here is mistaken Tuchel for Mourinho.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Dyer wound up playing extremely well for them; harsh to judge Tuchel on that move especially given it was in January and they got him for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.