Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

davidmichael

I wouldn't touch Tuchel with a barge pole. He will demand we buy the overpriced ageing players he thinks he'll need to get success, then throw his toys out the window, two years down the line when we refuse to give him more of the same - leaving us right where we started, unsuccessful and with ageing players on bloated contracts we can't move on!
I'd rather stick with EtH or bring in McKenna.
That’s basically the opposite of how Tuchel works, he fell out with PSG and more so Leonardo because of them wanting to sign superstar players past their best instead of players to fit a system.

I’m not completely ‘Tuchel in’ but he made it clear at Chelsea he wants nothing to do with recruitment other than they fit the system after Boehly sacked all of the footballing structure and wanted himself and Tuchel to run it and fell out with PSG over their desire for big names, yes it’s gone wrong at Bayern but not at any club has he wanted to sign “overpriced ageing players” or thrown his toys out over that.

Michael T

That’s basically the opposite of how Tuchel works, he fell out with PSG and more so Leonardo because of them wanting to sign superstar players past their best instead of players to fit a system.

I’m not completely ‘Tuchel in’ but he made it clear at Chelsea he wants nothing to do with recruitment other than they fit the system after Boehly sacked all of the footballing structure and wanted himself and Tuchel to run it and fell out with PSG over their desire for big names, yes it’s gone wrong at Bayern but not at any club has he wanted to sign “overpriced ageing players” or thrown his toys out over that.
Ah, okay. Thank you. :)

Blood Mage

Do you think any fanbase outside of United fans would rather keep ETH over Tuchel? I genuinely think it's mental.

Fallon d'Floor

So you are suggesting we get a short term manager who flirts with all the big clubs and would drop any intrest in utd when he hears the barc job is available.
I think we'll do well to have any manager who spends more than 3-4 seasons in the job. That's pretty standard at big clubs.

Barcelona have had Pep, Tito, Martino, Enrique, Valverde, Setién, Koeman and Xavi since 2008.

Real have had Schuster, Ramos, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benítez, Zidane, Lopetegui, Solari, Zidane again, and Ancelotti again since 2008.

Bayern have had Klinsmann, LvG, Heynckes, Pep, Ancelotti, Heynckes again, Kovač, Flick, Nagelsmann and Tuchel since 2008.

PSG have had Ancelotti, Blanc, Emery, Tuchel, Poch, Glatier and Enrique since being taken over in late 2011.

There's no reason to suggest that Tuchel would go anywhere else if he's successful. Managers generally only leave clubs if they're sacked. Rarely by choice.

If we can have managers who stays 5+ years, great. It's rare though. Liverpool did very well to retain Klopp's services for a little over 8.5 years.

The days of Ferguson and Wenger are over. Barcelona couldn't keep Pep for more than 4 seasons. A club legend and local.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I think we'll do well to have any manager who spends more than 3-4 seasons in the job. That's pretty standard at big clubs.

Barcelona have had Pep, Tito, Martino, Enrique, Valverde, Setién, Koeman and Xavi since 2008.

Real have had Schuster, Ramos, Pellegrini, Mourinho, Ancelotti, Benítez, Zidane, Lopetegui, Solari, Zidane again, and Ancelotti again since 2008.

Bayern have had Klinsmann, LvG, Heynckes, Pep, Ancelotti, Heynckes again, Kovač, Flick, Nagelsmann and Tuchel since 2008.

PSG have had Ancelotti, Blanc, Emery, Tuchel, Poch, Glatier and Enrique since being taken over in late 2011.

There's no reason to suggest that Tuchel would go anywhere else if he's successful. Managers generally only leave clubs if they're sacked. Rarely by choice.

If we can have managers who stays 5+ years, great. It's rare though. Liverpool did very well to retain Klopp's services for a little over 8.5 years.

The days of Ferguson and Wenger are over. Barcelona couldn't keep Pep for more than 4 seasons. A club legend and local.
Agreed. This also proves that the "we've sacked too many managers" cliché is laughably false. If anything, we haven't sacked enough managers!

spiriticon

If Barca beat us to Tuchel, I'd laugh my head off.

We would deserve every bit of Gareth Southgate.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Like Mourinho, he's just stylistically not a Manchester Utd manager and doesn't tick the right boxes for what we need. It would be yet another attempt to try and shortcut our way to success when we are miles away from being able to do that currently.

croadyman

If Barca beat us to Tuchel, I'd laugh my head off.

We would deserve every bit of Gareth Southgate.
Hoping this is a rare occasion Ornstein is wrong about something,however Barca won't be messing about to agree a deal that's for sure

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Hoping this is a rare occasion Ornstein is wrong about something,however Barca won't be messing about to agree a deal that's for sure
It sounds like their top target is Rafa Marquez. They love hiring their former players.

croadyman

Like Mourinho, he's just stylistically not a Manchester Utd manager and doesn't tick the right boxes for what we need. It would be yet another attempt to try and shortcut our way to success when we are miles away from being able to do that currently.
Will keep saying this he wouldn't be the long term plan for INEOS, however is very capable of putting us into a better position for the right guy

Juicy Juiced

More successful clubs (Madrid, Barca, Inter, Bayern ect) had more managers than us since 2013. "Give the manager time and he will be become good" is such a weak argument.

If is manager not good shake the hands and move on. It sucks to lose a job but its not like they are going back to the mines.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Sounds as if he'll be staying at Bayern
No, confirmed in the press conference before the final league match that he will definitely leave as they couldn't find an agreement in their talks.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He confirmed today he is leaving.
ha ha - I looked at lunch time and saw nothing! The story must have gone live minutes later! My guess is he thinks he'll get the United job - he might be in for a shock if he thinks he couldn't get agreement with Bayern's bosses. Wait till he sees the Untied clown show

croadyman

ha ha - I looked at lunch time and saw nothing! The story must have gone live minutes later! My guess is he thinks he'll get the United job - he might be in for a shock if he thinks he couldn't get agreement with Bayern's bosses. Wait till he sees the Untied clown show
Probably Barca bound

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
If he does then I think it might be a 2 season job to buy us some time. Would be nice to see someone actually stop all those shots and goals at the back though.

croadyman

If he does then I think it might be a 2 season job to buy us some time. Would be nice to see someone actually stop all those shots and goals at the back though.
Think that could suit us but no Erik's biggest supporters in this thread feel very differently

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He confirmed today he is leaving.
Honestly, the fact he's said f off to Bayern makes me want to see him at United more, even if it's for a couple years.

Also, I don't believe he doesn't stay if he's not confident he's getting a big job next and who else is on the market, as Barcelona are not hiring him for sure.

TrustInJanuzaj

Will keep saying this he wouldn't be the long term plan for INEOS, however is very capable of putting us into a better position for the right guy
Hes capable of getting us slightly better short term results whilst likely creating long term impacts. Just like Mourinho...There shouldn't be short term fixes, just looking at the bigger picture. How does Tuchel fit into that picture better than Ten Hag? I'd rather stick with him, or take a chance on another young progressive manager.

USREDEVIL

Without a large clear out of the players this club aint going nowhere- manager is the smaller fish to fry but im.not against a managerial change. We cannot continue to be out played week in and week out.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hes capable of getting us slightly better short term results whilst likely creating long term impacts. Just like Mourinho...There shouldn't be short term fixes, just looking at the bigger picture. How does Tuchel fit into that picture better than Ten Hag? I'd rather stick with him, or take a chance on another young progressive manager.
Where is that coming from?

stevoc

How does Ten Hag now fit into the bigger picture?

TrustInJanuzaj

How does Ten Hag now fit into the bigger picture?
In many ways, really. He's clearly committed to trying to implement a more progressive style of play. He now knows this squad. If he's still here this summer, there's a far better chance that we remove some of the problem players rather than giving them all a blank slate yet again. He knows who can be relied upon and who cannot and that will help to steer the recruitment team. If he continues, it means he's also aligned with the vision set by INEOS and the new upper management and its an admission by them they think the root cause is coming from beyond just the manager.

Lyng

In many ways, really. He's clearly committed to trying to implement a more progressive style of play.
In my opinion he is simply extremely stubborn and forcing a style than doesnt work with our players and leads to way to many shots on our goal. And at the same time our attack lacks any kind of patters of play and constantly looks disjointed.

TrustInJanuzaj

In my opinion he is simply extremely stubborn and forcing a style than doesnt work with our players and leads to way to many shots on our goal. And at the same time our attack lacks any kind of patters of play and constantly looks disjointed.
Yeh that's certainly one way to see it. The other is that if you want to play a certain style of play you do to some degree have to go all in even if that impacts short term results because certain players are exposed. How will you ever know which players are suitable if you don't try it?

Lyng

Yeh that's certainly one way to see it. The other is that if you want to play a certain style of play you do to some degree have to go all in even if that impacts short term results because certain players are exposed. How will you ever know which players are suitable if you don't try it?
It should not take an entire season to realise the experiment is a abject failure. We have been absolutely awful this season and even if Mainoo, Garnacho and Højlund are young players that have got playing time under Ten Hag they have all regressed over the season and I worry that our young very talented players will flop if we stick with Ten Hag.
We need a manger that can utilize the players we have in the best and most pragmatic way while we rebuild the squad. Tuchel is a great option for exactly that.

JPRouve

Scout
In many ways, really. He's clearly committed to trying to implement a more progressive style of play. He now knows this squad. If he's still here this summer, there's a far better chance that we remove some of the problem players rather than giving them all a blank slate yet again. He knows who can be relied upon and who cannot and that will help to steer the recruitment team. If he continues, it means he's also aligned with the vision set by INEOS and the new upper management and its an admission by them they think the root cause is coming from beyond just the manager.
What makes you say that he is clearly committed to implement a more progressive style and what does progressive style even means?

The Firestarter

What makes you say that he is clearly committed to implement a more progressive style and what does progressive style even means?
Same question. Especially after he stated that Utd under him will never play like Ajax, which I think many people considered progressive. It seems this is conveniently forgotten these days.

JPRouve

Scout
Same question. Especially after he stated that Utd under him will never play like Ajax, which I think many people considered progressive. It seems this is conveniently forgotten these days.
The man literally stated the style he wanted, he wants United to be the best transition team in the world. Now I don't really know what progressive is supposed to mean so I don't have an opinion on that but transition Football is what we were doing with Ole and Mourinho.

TrustInJanuzaj

I think, tactically, he's made it harder for himself this season. I think we could have continued to be the fairly pragmatic, defensive, counterattacking side that we have been since Mourinho was here (to varying degrees). I reckon this season would have yielded marginally better results. But as he said in his interview with Neville, he felt the potential of this side is higher, and the ambitions of the club are greater than that. As a result, we have tried to be more open, more expansive, press higher up the pitch, and commit to building from the back far more than any team post-Fergie. The issue we have is that, especially with the injuries in the mix, we have too many players who are either individually not good enough or tactically a poor fit. That's made a difficult season even harder. I think fundamentally, though, his vision for this side is to be a front-foot progressive side.