Thoughts on Tuchel as a potential United manager?

Would you appoint Thomas Tuchel as the next Manchester United manager?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Chelsea have £16m in the bank, that's enough for one month of wages. Unless they're going to start paying him in Bitcoin they can't afford to
Where is this written? I don't think they'll have a problem paying staff firstly and secondly Tuchel has pretty much vowed to stay on until the end of the season.

To that end, I don't see him leaving, at least before summer

Member 101269

Where is this written? I don't think they'll have a problem paying staff firstly and secondly Tuchel has pretty much vowed to stay on until the end of the season.

16m is in their annual reports.

Who will lend them money? How can Tuchel leave and another business pay Chelsea compensation without breaking sanctions? It's a very complex, i just dont see clubs risking the consequences on breaking the law.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
16m is in their annual reports.

Who will lend them money? How can Tuchel leave and another business pay Chelsea compensation without breaking sanctions? It's a very complex, i just dont see clubs risking the consequences on breaking the law.
Tuchel (and players) will probably be allowed to quit if they dont pay them? Breach of contract and all?

crossy1686

career ending

Sky Sports news reported it from their last financial reports

crossy1686

career ending
Tuchel (and players) will probably be allowed to quit if they dont pay them? Breach of contract and all?
Yep, they're essentially contractors which is why their deals aren't permeant after 2 years, so they can walk if they're not paid. It would be interesting to know what the details say though

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Don’t really rate him that highly. Would prefer we gamble of Ten Hag.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm guessing he's a liaison between first team players and management so basically taking over Phelans job.
Yeah a bit of that and a huge bit of overseeing the pathway to the first team squad, but I want to see how dev thinks this position has screwed the club so much that he wants to give him to Chelsea. I mean it can’t be dev getting his pants all twisted over nothing can it?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's a difficult personality by all accounts, which means that just like Conte, we won't go for him.

I'm assuming we're going to get Poch, as he seems like a yes man whilst being a decent coach, but my preference would be ETH.
People said that about him when we appointed him but he's been an incredible leader so far. Calm under pressure. Sensible and reasonable in almost everything he says and does. We obviously don't know what goes behind closed doors at Chelsea but by all accounts, he's been an absolute credit to himself throughout, especially during periods of controversy or uncertainty.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Chelsea have £16m in the bank, that's enough for one month of wages. Unless they're going to start paying him in Bitcoin they can't afford to
They can still take in money from existing television deals, commercial contracts, and owed monies on already sold tickets.

They won't have enough revenues coming in to run the club for very long without going bust given their costs. But they should have enough to limp along until the end of the season.

A lot remains unclear (to say the least) but I think there is a good chance Tuchel leaves this summer. Chelsea's next owner will need to substantially reduce the wage bill, which likely means letting Rudiger, Christensen, and Azpilicueta walk plus maybe selling some other important players, likely without bringing in anybody very expensive to replace them. Its a hard problem because the biggest earners are going to be very difficult to move (Lukaku, Werner, Kepa, etc) which means they'll probably need to make hard choices on some players they otherwise wouldn't want to lose. In the big picture, they're very likely to go through an adjustment period where they recalibrate the squad to a new financial reality. They'll come out of it OK in the end but I'm not sure Tuchel will want to sick around for that process.

youmeletsfly

They can still take in money from existing television deals, commercial contracts, and owed monies on already sold tickets.

They won't have enough revenues coming in to run the club for very long without going bust given their costs. But they should have enough to limp along until the end of the season.

A lot remains unclear (to say the least) but I think there is a good chance Tuchel leaves this summer. Chelsea's next owner will need to substantially reduce the wage bill, which likely means letting Rudiger, Christensen, and Azpilicueta walk plus maybe selling some other important players, likely without bringing in anybody very expensive to replace them. Its a hard problem because the biggest earners are going to be very difficult to move (Lukaku, Werner, Kepa, etc) which means they'll probably need to make hard choices on some players they otherwise wouldn't want to lose. In the big picture, they're very likely to go through an adjustment period where they recalibrate the squad to a new financial reality. They'll come out of it OK in the end but I'm not sure Tuchel will want to sick around for that process.
I'm just asking, don't get me wrong, why would the next owner need to lower the wage bill?

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Because Abramovich is paying Chelsea's wages out of pocket. They're not self sustaining.
Yeah, this. Chelsea have the wage bill of a club with substantially higher revenues, because Roman has been willing to regularly backstop their losses.

The most likely scenario is that a new owner takes over who is sort of like Stan Kroenke or John Henry or even Daniel Levy/Joe Lewis - somebody who is willing to put in some money in exceptional circumstances but generally wants the club to be self-sustainable. Chelsea has lower matchday revenues than any of their competitors, their commercial revenue picture is roughly similar to Arsenal and Tottenham, and broadcasting revenues like any other club are just a function of on-field performance. In the end, that kind of club with that kind of owner will need to have a wage bill and player cost structure that is similar to those of Arsenal or Tottenham, maybe even less depending on what happens with the stadium.

Chelsea total wages (this includes both players and other employees) were about £333m in the latest financial filings. That number probably needs to be reduced by something like £80-100m, not necessarily immediately but to be self-sustainable in the longer run.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But what do you think his job is?
If Rangnick cannot figure it out then how can I? What I know is that Fletcher started as an U16 coach in October 2021, he got promoted as first team coach in January 2022 and then he was promoted into a job which is so complex that not even Rangnick can fully understand it by March. So he's either a football genius or else he keeps getting jobs/promotions for the boys.

croadyman

Clearly proved himself in the league this last 14 months, however still think it's unlikely he leaves Chelsea anyway

golden_blunder

Staff
If Rangnick cannot figure it out then how can I? What I know is that Fletcher started as an U16 coach in October 2021, he got promoted as first team coach in January 2022 and then he was promoted into a job which is so complex that not even Rangnick can fully understand it by March. So he's either a football genius or else he keeps getting jobs/promotions for the boys.
I think his job description is quite clear, and I think he suits the job very well. I’m not quite sure why you always lump him in with the others

OrcaFat

I don’t rate Tuchel especially. He has proved he can get results with good players and would probably be an improvement on what we’ve had over the last few years. But I would be so utterly not excited by that appointment.

Don’t really want to gamble either. Can’t see any good options really.

Sviken

Yeah. I just don't see him as good enough to take on Guardiola and Klopp. He is a tier-below IMO. While Ten Hag can be that elite of the elite manager for us. Not saying he would be, but he has that potential

Elcabron

Agree with this. Di Matteo also won the CL with Chelsea. Pep threw that final away. Not exactly setting the world alight this season either, no where challenging for the league and current circumstances aside, didn't see them challenging next season either.

Would be a very disappointing appointment for me. PSG record also a bit meh.

Luis Enrique would be the best choice in my opinion. Leave Ralph in place till he is done with World Cup and start signing the players he wants now.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I don’t rate Tuchel especially. He has proved he can get results with good players and would probably be an improvement on what we’ve had over the last few years. But I would be so utterly not excited by that appointment.

Don’t really want to gamble either. Can’t see any good options really.
I‘m surprised by that take.

When he came in Frank Lampard averaged 1,75 points per game. Solskjaer averaged 1,85 points per game. Tuchel now is at 2,2 points per game. In fact, Tuchels average is the best at Chelsea the past decade. Better than Conte, Sarri, Mourinho and Ancelotti. It is quite a leap from where they were.

I also think it is a team that, when he came in, lacked the profiles that some of the other coaches had. No Terry, no Hazard and no Costa. Not a single player that was considered to be world class when he came in.

But the most impressive part of it for me is how quickly he built a very solid general play.

Dan_F

Or we lost loads of first team coaches and needed someone who actually knows the players to be involved in the training. Rangnick himself has praised Fletcher, so why are you so accepting of one thing Rangnick says, without paying attention to the other.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Yeah, Neville definitely picks and chooses who to attack and who to passionately defend. I always find him interesting to listen to, but I don't always agree with his views. The media's criticism of our decision to go for an interim is bizarre though. Fair enough they might not agree with it, but to refuse to acknowledge the thought or plan behind it, is stubborn and blinkered. Why appoint Conte or whoever if he isn't the guy we want long term? We are just supposed to bring him in and suck it up because he is available? No thanks.
Exactly. The media do hate us though, always criticise us no matter what we do, if we’d of hired conte they’d of criticised us for rushing into a decision without thinking it through.

OrcaFat

I‘m surprised by that take.

When he came in Frank Lampard averaged 1,75 points per game. Solskjaer averaged 1,85 points per game. Tuchel now is at 2,2 points per game. In fact, Tuchels average is the best at Chelsea the past decade. Better than Conte, Sarri, Mourinho and Ancelotti. It is quite a leap from where they were.

I also think it is a team that, when he came in, lacked the profiles that some of the other coaches had. No Terry, no Hazard and no Costa. Not a single player that was considered to be world class when he came in.

But the most impressive part of it for me is how quickly he built a very solid general play.
Well he probably deserves to be rated higher than I rate him, I can see that.

I think he has done a good job. Regardless of their profiles the players he has are mostly good and always were, especially in midfield. The comparison with Frank shows what a bad job Frank was doing, I think. Even so, Tuchel is doing a good job.

I don’t think he’d have any luck with our squad as it stands. I find him boring. He does have that “feck you” attitude which could be useful.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Well he probably deserves to be rated higher than I rate him, I can see that.

I think he has done a good job. Regardless of their profiles the players he has are mostly good and always were, especially in midfield. The comparison with Frank shows what a bad job Frank was doing, I think. Even so, Tuchel is doing a good job.

I don’t think he’d have any luck with our squad as it stands. I find him boring. He does have that “feck you” attitude which could be useful.
That's a fair point I think. You should definitely rate him as he has delivered cups and titles for each of his last three clubs (Chelsea, PSG, Dortmund) while also lifting Mainz to their best ever performances (ahead of what Klopp did there). But he is also known for treating football as "lawn chess" as it is often called in German, so very pragmatic, focused on tactics etc.

It's therefore (often) not as exciting as what Klopp for example is trying to do.

AussieDevil

I like Tuchel, but I’d be very very surprised if he was able to work with this board. He wants a club that’s solely focused on winning football games, you just don’t get that here.

devilish

Or we lost loads of first team coaches and needed someone who actually knows the players to be involved in the training. Rangnick himself has praised Fletcher, so why are you so accepting of one thing Rangnick says, without paying attention to the other.
When Fletcher was given the technical director job that wasn't the issue. I am actually surprised how many are willing to close an eye to someone with no coaching experience whatsoever who comes in an entry job and ends up a technical director few months later. In my opinion its yet another example of how horrendously run this club is.

devilish

I think his job description is quite clear, and I think he suits the job very well. I’m not quite sure why you always lump him in with the others
So you're saying that Rangnick can't figure out even the clearest of things?

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I'd certainly take him over poch but im still leaning towards ten hag.

Ten hag looks like a mix between fergie and wenger to me.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

My preference would be Tuchel, then ten Haag.
But we will get Poch, you can see how the club has started to build this up. Some pundits have already started to make excuses why he is a great manager and PSG playing below their expectations is not on him.

golden_blunder

Staff
So you're saying that Rangnick can't figure out even the clearest of things?
I don’t know what he’s trying to say but fletchers job description has been posted multiple times so I don’t get why you keep on the narrative that’s he’s to blame like murtough etc. fletchers main role is to make sure that there’s a pathway for kids to the first team squad, a job he’s done well. As ragnick has very little coaching staff he was also asked to coach for the first team. What’s so difficult to understand?
Just because he played for the club before it doesn’t necessarily equal bad. Other teams have made a thing out of getting old players involved for good reason.

Toblerone92

All these rumours of exciting new managers is making me nervous. If we end up with Poch I’m going to be utterly depressed.