Tim Cahill's sponsored goal celebration.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
A lot of people might be familiar with Cahill's "box the corner flag" celebration but after his goal against Syria, he did a quick airplane gesture and made a T symbol with his hands instead, apparently to appease his sponsors, Tripadeal.

What do people think of this? I'd really fecking hate for it to catch on.

At best, it's just sad. At worst, it could affect some games if a greedy cnut takes a shot on when there are better options to get a few extra grand from some company.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think he should get the company logo tattooed across his chest.

Pathetic.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I feel it is rather stupid. If you see the celebration at the time, you would never know what it was about. They would have been better off just posting a "look our brand ambassador scored the winning goal" for the same effect, but without any sort of sell out negative view being able to attach to it.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Its stupid but Cahill does love getting easy money.

A bit of a shit way to celebrate your 50th international goal though.

Charlie Foley

I always wondered about this one:

Huh. I always assumed his boot came off as he came down at that weird angle, and then he just celebrated with it.

If it was staged, presumably they expected him to score with his foot and then take the boot off, which just makes this silly.

klayton88

Just need him to get a sponsorship deal with Walkers and Apple and complete the cycle.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Christ that's sad. I thought the recent sleeve sponsorship was pushing it but this takes the cake, hope it doesn't catch on.

I hate to think what things will be like in 20 years, will shirts be plastered like F1 cars? They're running out of places and things to sponsor already what with stands, training kits, fecking shampoo and now 73 year old footballers playing against Syria.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Huh. I always assumed his boot came off as he came down at that weird angle, and then he just celebrated with it.

If it was staged, presumably they expected him to score with his foot and then take the boot off, which just makes this silly.
Just re-watched, you're right that it comes off.
I had a wrong memory where he and Eto'o had a similar celebration, which is why I suspected it, but I just rewatched Eto's goal too - he has a weird celebration with his arm but not his boot.

Mr Smith

Definitely don't want it to become the norm. Actually didn't notice at all during the match because I lost my fecking shit when he scored both times, but the idea of players actively promoting sponsors during a match in any way is very off putting to me.

Ashley R1+O

He might be our greatest player but he's also our greatest cock womble.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
God forbid Victoria's Secrets start sponsoring players to showcase their new anal beads line.
That might actually be a better explanation for Henderson than “run’s through his knees”.

El cangrejo

Supports
FC Luzern
If it catches on FIFA will ban it pretty soon.

Remember Bendtner's underwear?

Last edited:

GBBQ

If it catches on FIFA will ban it pretty soon.

Remember Bendner's underwear?
Will they though? You have players in jerseys that have 2 sponsors on it playing in a sponsored league on a pitch that is adorned with hoardings of multiple sponsors in a stadium that might be named after a sponsor.

Imagine the scenes when Mata scores and eats a pretend tube of Mister Potato chips. Or when Lukaku pretends to print off something from an imaginary Epson Printer after scoring the winning goal in the FA Cup.

saivet

Bendtner got a ban for something similarish. Can't remember what it was, but Paddy Power related?

devil in me

Tim Cahill is STILL playing!? Fair play to him... bit of an easy way to earn some cash but it's a bit crap.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
For Cahill I'm sure it's easy money but it's a sad state of affairs. Don't players always say when they score a big goal they kind of lose it and aren't in control of what they do? Obviously consummate professionals like our Tim can keep their eyes very much on the prize.

Also marketing tweets like that are fecking horrible. Save for using something popular to get your name out there in a sort of 'all publicity is good publicity' way I can't believe anyone would buy that disgusting, Satan's cock-sucking bullshit. Not a fan.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Wow. I made a thread a bit ago about how advertising has gotten out of hand, and was shut down about it (there was an issue with the forum for me at the time which meant I couldn't reply). But yeah, it's getting out of hand. It's everywhere. It will be in our dreams, like on Black Mirror. Just another trip down dystopia lane. Ignoring the ads all around the pitch, the ads on the shirts, and the half time ads..now you can't even watch what the players are doing without an ad :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He probably got a lot of money for it, so I don't blame him. Upto him how he celebrates the goal, he earned it.

Danny Roberts

Bendtner revealed Paddy Power pants by pulling his shorts down. With the sleeves, naming deals and so on this will only keep getting worse. It would be OK, in a way, if the money made the world better (vague phrase), for example went to grass roots, made things cheaper and better for the fans etc. But it doesn't, it just lines the pockets of owners, players and agents.

The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. The big clubs will get more sponsorship and so earn more than the small clubs, likewise the richer/bigger leagues and countries. Does the football get better? Not really. Do the fans feel closer to the game, definitely not. Do the fans get any real benefit? No. Everton can say they signed a £45m midfielder and get excited. But then they realise it's Sigurrdsson and he's not as good as Cahill who cost £3m or something.

Bit rambling but hey, it's Friday.

Aboutreika18

Just re-watched, you're right that it comes off.
I had a wrong memory where he and Eto'o had a similar celebration, which is why I suspected it, but I just rewatched Eto's goal too - he has a weird celebration with his arm but not his boot.
Love Eto'o's slapping the arm celebration. His explanation after the match was that he was indicating it was "in his blood" and it was a tribute to his parents and previous generation of his family.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He probably got a lot of money for it, so I don't blame him. Upto him how he celebrates the goal, he earned it.
Not really. I don't blame him for taking the cash, but we have to look at it. It's aimed at us. We already pay through the nose for football and footballers, just so they all get richer or so transfer fees can get pointlessly higher.

decorativeed

Definitely don't want it to become the norm. Actually didn't notice at all during the match because I lost my fecking shit when he scored both times, but the idea of players actively promoting sponsors during a match in any way is very off putting to me.
In reality it has been going on for the best part of 50 years already, it's just been more subtle.

Back in 1970, there was no twitter for Puma to post photos of Pele tying his Puma boots on the pitch just before kick-off in the World Cup final, but that's why he did it.

I talked to Martin Buchan about this kind of thing a few years back, and he mentioned other players doing the same thing at United in the late 70s. He also said how Tommy Doc was often coming to them with clothing to wear that they'd all get an extra tenner for, such as the tracksuit tops all the players (except Buchan) wore on the pitch as they sealed the second division title.

I have a friend who was a kit man and physio for several Football League clubs, and they would occasionally stay down rubbing their ankles after a challenge during a televised match because if they got a close-up of their boots on TV, the makers gave them a bonus!

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I really can not understand why a multimillionaire like Cahill would want to do this. I fear this will only catch on and eventually lead to players doing weird things on the pitch to appease their sponsors.

Tarrou

Honestly thought he'd retired after the last world cup

I can't criticise someone who gets paid for making a funny gesture with their hand though - fair play to him.

We need an rvn

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. So what if the players make some more money out of deals, tacky perhaps but who really cares. It's a hand gesture and not offending anyone. No difference between making a T, rocking your hands after the birth of a kid, doing a robot etc.

Also think FIFA would find it hard to stop players celebrating. What if neymar got a nike swoosh tattooed on his hand (might already have one for all I know) and everytime he scored he just stood still and put his hands on his chest, are fifa going to make him wear gloves every time he plays as that's a personal rights violation.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not really. I don't blame him for taking the cash, but we have to look at it. It's aimed at us. We already pay through the nose for football and footballers, just so they all get richer or so transfer fees can get pointlessly higher.
But this is how the free market works...

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Oh Tim, do you really need a few extra quid that desperately..? :(

walkinhop

People are so happily energetic after a goal that I doubt many will notice such things. Maybe the stills would represent more but you could always edit them. Doubt this would get anywhere near as popular as sleeve sponsors.