Tim Howards performance against Belgium; best ever?

SergioRamos4

Supports
Real Madrid
He was immense for sure , He saved so many goals , I was cheering Belgium but Howard performance was just amazing

Stadjer

Having an excellent keeper at a World Cup gives you a massive advantage I think.

It's for this reason why I can see Netherlands ultimately failing... I have zero faith in that keeper. He barely looks like he knows what he's doing himself most of the time.
True, until Januari Cillessen didnt even play in the Eredivisie but a in lower league. I wish we had a keeper like Tim Howard, he was excellent!

Malva

True, until Januari Cillessen didnt even play in the Eredivisie but a in lower league. I wish we had a keeper like Tim Howard, he was excellent!
you already have krul who's one of the top goalkeepers in the premier league, and top class period imo. Krul is better then howard as well imo.

Stadjer

you already have krul who's one of the top goalkeepers in the premier league, and top class period imo. Krul is better then howard as well imo.
True, i think Krul is a better GK too but most Dutch people and LVG especially like goalkeepers who are good with their feet. Cillessen is excellent with his feet and has decent distrubution. Krul and also Howard lack some quality in that department but i think both are better shot stoppers as Cillessen.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
True, i think Krul is a better GK too but most Dutch people and LVG especially like goalkeepers who are good with their feet. Cillessen is excellent with his feet and has decent distrubution. Krul and also Howard lack some quality in that department but i think both are better shot stoppers as Cillessen.
I thought Cillessen was great for Ajax this season but I agree on the whole. Having sb like Neuer who would sweep any leakage caused by the slow CBs as well as the overall quality would make them clear favourites as things stands.

RedIke

He was damn near perfect tonight. I really like Tim Howard, think is a great keeper who has kept Everton above where they belonged for the past years.

But I cant say best performance ever after letting in two goals.

RedRedWineOT

Poor finishing or not, even the balls hit straight at him needed to be saved, Tim Howard had a very good match. He has been putting in a shift for Everton for long time as well. Very decent keeper. I think his distribution was good today as well.
Compared to some howlers by the GKs in this WC (Akinfeev, Emenike), Tim Howard did not let himself or his team down at any point.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
He broke the record for most saves in a WC match. Not sure if by a US keeper or all-time???
Most saves by any keeper in a WC match since 1962. Even if many of them were close to his body, that just signals how good his positioning is. I think it has to be considered among the top goalkeeping performances in WC's in recent years, along with Guillermo Ochoa's against Brazil.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
That's debatable.. I'd probably say Krul is a marginally better shot-stopper, but his all round keeping game (organisation/command/distribution/handling) isn't as good as Howard.

Out of the two, I'd take Howard every day.

thelemon

I don't know why people are saying we shouldn't have sold him. When have we ever needed him?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
I wanted to make this thread ffs.

Anyway, most saves ever=best performance ever, clear as a day.

Best keeper of all times?

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
No. The same way Benaglio or Enyema or Ochoa's great shot stopping performances are not 'the best'. Goalkeepers must never be judged on Tournaments, the great keepers (Kahn,Buffon , Vds) could go 90 minutes without making a save and make the decisive one in the 95 th. That's what I heard Schemichel say when he was talking about Goal keeping and from what I've seen , it's dead on. It's much easier when you are bombarded. The same way only the best strikers need just half a chance to score after 90 minutes without so much as seeing the ball.
Wrong, this was the best ever.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
IMO Timmy now holds the record for 2 of the best 3 ever goalkeeping performances. I'm just happy to say that he once played for my club and I got to see him in perform in the flesh. Great honour.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Having an excellent keeper at a World Cup gives you a massive advantage I think.

It's for this reason why I can see Netherlands ultimately failing... I have zero faith in that keeper. He barely looks like he knows what he's doing himself most of the time.
agreed, he's looked a bit ropey. Cillessen isn't even first choice at Ajax, is he?

I'd have thought Vorm or Krul would be better options. What happened to Stekelenburg?

The Farmer

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
agreed, he's looked a bit ropey. Cillessen isn't even first choice at Ajax, is he?

I'd have thought Vorm or Krul would be better options. What happened to Stekelenburg?
Cillessen is now first choice, after Vermeer made some crucial mistakes in crucial matches ( 4-0 vs PSV for example ).

I think LvG picked Cillessen for his footballing ability. He's awful ( 50% pass accuracy ) but I guess we have no one better.
I have not followed Stekelenburg, He'd normally be my first choice based on the WC 2010 (granted, this was 4 years ago) and other performances.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
These days everything is the 'bestest in the world ever'
This thread included.

Alun

Not even the best of the World Cup, second to Ochoa vs Brazil.

For me nothing close to Toldo's performance for Italy vs The Dutch at the 2000 Euros. All game through to the penalty shootout he was unbeatable, absolute monster.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Martinez signing some competition in Joel really made Howard up his game the past year, the season just gone was the best since he joined Everton.