Time wasting

twitter thread suggester
Why the hell are referees not cutting harder down on this?

In today’s game against Villa, it felt like the ball was in actual play for a total of 20 minutes.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I've said it a million times, football needs to bring in the stop clock system. Have two 30 minutes halves. It would stop time wasting.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Refs never book keepers until very last minute. 6 minutes was added on anyway.

JoaquinJoaquin

Villa took the mick today with the time wasting, but let's be honest, if we scored a goal they couldn't do that anyways.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Only 4 initially.
Really, thought it was five minutes and Dean added the extra minute because the penalty took a minute to take.

When you look at it, we made two subs, you made two subs second half (and McTominay sprinted off when he was subbed so that didn't take 30 seconds) and one goal so two and a half minutes and then extra two and a half minutes for time Targett and Maguire were down.

No ref in any league adds on 10 minutes on its own for a team timewasting.

Oranges038

Australian ref just booked Darlow today. It's about time someone was booked for it.

Time wasting and kicking the ball away just don't seem to be punishable offences anymore.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This has nothing to do with the final result but I feel like it’s becoming worse & worse now . Villa basically from the opening whistle itself were trying to waste time . I remember the days when smaller teams used to do it a lot in the second half but Villa are a decent team and it was non stop from the 1sr minute itself . Pathetic that football is doing nothing about it. Playing the whole game with one ball around is completely senseless as well as every time the ball went out of play they had to wait for it to come back from the crowd etc

izec

Just stop the clock and you can time waste as much as you want. I think they need to introduce it, because you never get as much stoppage time as time is wasted with nonsense on and off the pitch.

redshaw

The tactic certainly can help frustrate the fans and the other teams players. I was at the game today and it riled everyone up in a bad way.

I feel ti warrants a yellow card, the time wasting was happening all game and in previous matches.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Really, thought it was five minutes and Dean added the extra minute because the penalty took a minute to take.

When you look at it, we made two subs, you made two subs second half (and McTominay sprinted off when he was subbed so that didn't take 30 seconds) and one goal so two and a half minutes and then extra two and a half minutes for time Targett and Maguire were down.

No ref in any league adds on 10 minutes on its own for a team timewasting.
A minute? More like 2-3.

I was behind Martinez in the second half and it was laughable how long he took… moving the ball from one side of the box to the other, placing it like a golf player, ambling back, pausing. It was 20-30 seconds almost every time. Him and ref getting dogs abuse … I thought Newcastle and Wolves goalies were bad, today was worse. Same thing happened with the corners.

TO BE CLEAR, not an excuse for our performance which was poor and made an average Villa side look decent.

Mood not helped by seeing the Villa goal when I got home… but expected. Officials were shit all day and both ways… no idea how Maguire wasn’t carded for foul on Ings.

GregM40

Martinez was shocking for it today. Agreed we need to stop the clock when the ball is out of play, said this for years!

If you want to waste time play it into the corner

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Despite us being shit I’ve seen teams doing this to us in the very early minutes of the game. Newcastle were taking an age with their goal kicks only nine minutes in. Villa took about 30 seconds for each one. It’s pathetic.

Australian ref just booked Darlow today. It's about time someone was booked for it.

Time wasting and kicking the ball away just don't seem to be punishable offences anymore.
I’d forgotten that… probably because the time wasting was SO bad.

Few occasions that happened. One when we had a Fk (not sure it was) and a Villa player ran and got the ball and kicked it 50 yards back to his goalie before a United player had to get it back and kick it back to our half for the FK. Knew exactly what they were doing

Nickthepip

Doesn't matter what the opposition do with the ball, it matters what we do with it
It does when you’ve paid £60-£70 for a ticket. I don’t pay to watch a keeper mess about with a goal kick. If nothing else they should clamp down on this from the fans perspective

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I’d forgotten that… probably because the time wasting was SO bad.

Few occasions that happened. One when we had a Fk (not sure it was) and a Villa player ran and got the ball and kicked it 50 yards back to his goalie before a United player had to get it back and kick it back to our half for the FK. Knew exactly what they were doing
Yeah I am sure before covid they used to play with more than 1 ball , today they were constantly trying to get the ball back

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The tactic certainly can help frustrate the fans and the other teams players. I was at the game today and it riled everyone up in a bad way.

I feel ti warrants a yellow card, the time wasting was happening all game and in previous matches.
Yeah same and it was crazy that Dean let it go on . More than the time in itself it’s their idea of trying to make sure that United can’t sustain anything by constantly breaking momentum

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It does when you’ve paid £60-£70 for a ticket. I don’t pay to watch a keeper mess about with a goal kick. If nothing else they should clamp down on this from the fans perspective
No issue when De Gea is taking 30-40 seconds on goal kicks when you're 1 up on Liverpool or Chelsea in a key game?

I get the issues in general terms as plenty of time is wasted in football but this thread only seems to crop up whenever Man. United get it and I'm fairly sure you were time wasting towards end of Wolves game as an example.

Mind you looking at Ole's post match comments and he's probably someone who genuinely believes Manchester United have never had a player who's time wasted in his life. :lol:

Edit: As a collective I just think most refs shrug their shoulders and just decide to add on 5-6 minutes at the end as a compromise so whichever team is seemingly penalised still gets plenty of time to score. Not ideal but that's the way football ultimately works.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
No issue when De Gea is taking 30-40 seconds on goal kicks when you're 1 up on Liverpool or Chelsea in a key game?

I get the issues in general terms as plenty of time is wasted in football but this thread only seems to crop up whenever Man. United get it and I'm fairly sure you were time wasting towards end of Wolves game as an example.

Mind you looking at Ole's post match comments and he's probably someone who genuinely believes Manchester United have never had a player who's time wasted in his life. :lol:
That emoji doesn’t make your post amusing at all for anyone . Congrats to villa foe winning the game but their behaviour all game was absolutely pathetic & small time

James Peril

You know who complaints about time wasting? Only the fan that is losing the game. Villa didn't do anything out of the ordinary in terms of wasting time today, this is just extremely sour grapes. I totally agree about time wasting especially in the Euros/World Cup and European comps, some minnow from Slovenia or Albania faking injuries for six of their players at the same time, but this was not anywhere near close. Normal game where a top team is struggling against a mid-table team, happens every single week. Best is to score more goals and avoid the situation entirely, but United scored none over 96 minutes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
That emoji doesn’t make your post amusing at all for anyone . Congrats to villa foe winning the game but their behaviour all game was absolutely pathetic & small time
We just did what we had to do. Most away teams do it and yes you will be doing it at Anfield or Man. City whenever you play them away if you're winning 1-0 with ten minutes left and are under plenty of pressure.

Nothing personal chap.

Edit: One of my actual bug bearers is when team makes a late sub and player coming off walks to far side and then does slow walk down the pitch. That usually wastes a good minute although less of that know when they're told to walk off the touchline the other side and make the long way round.

Nickthepip

Edit: As a collective I just think most refs shrug their shoulders and just decide to add on 5-6 minutes at the end as a compromise so whichever team is seemingly penalised still gets plenty of time to score. Not ideal but that's the way football ultimately works.
You know who complaints about time wasting? Only the fan that is losing the game. Villa didn't do anything out of the ordinary in terms of wasting time today, this is just extremely sour grapes. I totally agree about time wasting especially in the Euros/World Cup and European comps, some minnow from Slovenia or Albania faking injuries for six of their players at the same time, but this was not anywhere near close. Normal game where a top team is struggling against a mid-table team, happens every single week. Best is to score more goals and avoid the situation entirely, but United scored none over 96 minutes.
They were time wasting at 0-0 after 15 mins. It does happen every single week which is exactly why it needs sorting out as it’s dull.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
What United should do performance wise is irrelevant to this thread . There’s about 50 threads about that right now . I watch so much football and it’s a pet peeve of mine how much time is wasted every game . The fact what Villa did today is not even considered to be anything out of normal is pretty bad for the sport . Go back and watch the first goal kick that they got in like the 3rd minute and you can see Martinez messing around with the ball for 20+ seconds and he must have done that at least 25 times today . This is not even to mention the throw ins and free kicks etc

El Zoido

:lol: at VAR not disallowing that goal. What bollocks for a third game running.
It’s annoying cause we were crap, so the poor performance means we can never complain about the decisions because “we should have beaten them anyway”

but yeah that was some bs. 100% should have been disallowed.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Villa could also have had a penalty, but it's clear VAR has gone back to when they essentially just agree with the referee unless it's a handball given away by United

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
5 mins added on for the 20 seconds Martinez took every time he had the ball in his hands or for a goal kick, 4 subs, 1 goal, 1 penalty which VAR halted play to check, plus Villa's arguing, injuries to Targett, Maguire and Ramsey...

Not that it matters. We wouldn't have scored, but in reality it could have been about 8.

There was one moment where Martinez punted the ball out of his hands whilst being about 2 yards outside of his area. Wild.

And the goal shouldn't have stood, it was much, much more blatant than the goals Leicester had disallowed for the same thing.

Result was deserved, but it doesn't justify shit refereeing.

Sounds a bit agenda driven.

Villa had a couple of players that went down to stop play (we kicked the ball out for one) then after a chat with the physio for a minute (not added on) were remarkably ok. Why is that not ok for Albania but ok for Villa today?

And most posters on this thread (which is NOT about performance, go to another thread) have caveated their gripes (I did in previous post) with Villa/officials with “we were still poor” so not sure where the sour grapes come from. It wasn’t normal.. I was at Newcastle, watched Wolves and there today… Villa were worse.
Villa could also have had a penalty, but it's clear VAR has gone back to when they essentially just agree with the referee unless it's a handball given away by United
Or a City penalty where the ref has a clear view but VAR forgets their boss saying “it’s only clear and obvious. We won’t re-referee matches”?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
De Gea was booked in about 10 seconds when he tried it in Europe. Every kicking away of the ball seems to be too.

It's just part of English football. A way for the plucky underdog to have a chance against the big boys. Similar to 'full blooded challenges'.

Remember the geese

Can anyone recall a time when a player has been given two yellow cards for time wasting? Has any referee ever been brave enough to issue this? I thought the Newcastle keeper was bad recently, but Martinez seriously rivalled him today. Not a card in sight, nor even a word from Mike Dean. That also goes for any of the other Villa player's delaying tactics from throw ins, set pieces and persistent staying down 'injured'.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
It’s not mutually exclusive though fella. United can be shit and also have shit decisions go against them.

James Peril

What United should do performance wise is irrelevant to this thread . There’s about 50 threads about that right now . I watch so much football and it’s a pet peeve of mine how much time is wasted every game . The fact what Villa did today is not even considered to be anything out of normal is pretty bad for the sport . Go back and watch the first goal kick that they got in like the 3rd minute and you can see Martinez messing around with the ball for 20+ seconds and he must have done that at least 25 times today . This is not even to mention the throw ins and free kicks etc
Daft speculation after losing a game, of course without any data to back it up. Villa had 13 goal kicks today, but he did it at least 25 times right!? Facts and irrationality seldom go hand in hand, you sure as hell wouldn’t comment in this thread if United comfortably won the game 2-0 in the last 15 minutes as they often do.

Newsflash, a goalkeeper is not expected to start play as quickly as humanly possible - football is not hockey. Players rest between attempts as they play for 90 minutes without subbing. Some sequences are quick, some are slow, the lesser team obviously will in theory spend a bit more time to kill momentum away from home. The best team still has 90 minutes to score goals, let’s not pretend the alleged time wasting was the reason whatsoever for United losing today.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Daft speculation after losing a game, of course without any data to back it up. Villa had 13 goal kicks today, but he did it at least 25 times right!? Facts and irrationality seldom go hand in hand, you sure as hell wouldn’t comment in this thread if United comfortably won the game 2-0 in the last 15 minutes as they often do.

Newsflash, a goalkeeper is not expected to start play as quickly as humanly possible - football is not hockey. Players rest between attempts as they play for 90 minutes without subbing. Some sequences are quick, some are slow, the lesser team obviously will in theory spend a bit more time to kill momentum away from home. The best team still has 90 minutes to score goals, let’s not pretend the alleged time wasting was the reason whatsoever for United losing today.
Can you please point to where I said that United lost because of that . If it was completely irrelevant and didn’t affect games then teams wouldn’t actually be doing it . 14 must be the number of goal kicks but there were other fouls in and around the box which Martinez took kicks for . Spare me the crap about football & hockey ., anyone who watched the game could see what he was trying to do . Having been to OT today I can tell you that a lot of the times cameras move around so you don’t see everything on tv but he constantly messed around with the ball for 10+ seconds
Again I am not sure why you are even arguing against this when no one is saying that United lost because of that