Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Jesus Christ that's shocking.

What's going on with this guy? All banter aside I'm genuinely amazed at how poor his finishing has been for such a sustained period now.

I watched him against Liverpool at Anfield and it felt like a turn the corner performance of sorts yet he's not kicked on at all. It's pretty worrying really and seems to be beyond a bad patch of form now.
His performances in general since Tuchel took over, and at times under Lampard, has fluctuated between average to actually really good, despite continuing to struggle in front of goal.

I have no clue what's going on in his head when he's presented with these chances. It's a thing Torres used to do. He used to overthink really easy chances.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Jesus Christ that's shocking.

What's going on with this guy? All banter aside I'm genuinely amazed at how poor his finishing has been for such a sustained period now.

I watched him against Liverpool at Anfield and it felt like a turn the corner performance of sorts yet he's not kicked on at all. It's pretty worrying really and seems to be beyond a bad patch of form now.
The guy can't deal with pressure, at all. Add that to his questionable touch and technique.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
His performances in general since Tuchel took over, and at times under Lampard, has fluctuated between average to actually really good, despite continuing to struggle in front of goal.

I have no clue what's going on in his head when he's presented with these chances. It's a thing Torres used to do. He used to overthink really easy chances.
I felt the opposite with Torres, I felt his problem was more the fact he was so tactically brain-dead he barely got in the positions which led to weeks without a sniff. While ofcourse he had a few shocking misses the few times he got a clean chance I was usually comfortable thinking it would get tucked away, even in high pressure situations (ala Barca and Benfica).

If he was genuinely a poor finished like Morata/Werner he wouldn't have got into double figures for us.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I felt the opposite with Torres, I felt his problem was more the fact he was so tactically brain-dead he barely got in the positions which led to weeks without a sniff. While ofcourse he had a few shocking misses the few times he got a clean chance I was usually comfortable thinking it would get tucked away, even in high pressure situations (ala Barca and Benfica).

If he was genuinely a poor finished like Morata/Werner he wouldn't have got into double figures for us.
I always thought Torres' issue was he never learned to play the game properly because he was physically so dominant for his entire life up until his knee injuries. It's maybe odd to say because people don't associate him with physical characteristics, but he was deceptively strong and his ability to accelerate from a dead stop and leap were both freakish.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
For all the sh*te he has produced this season, he still has 10 goals and 10 assists in all comps this season averaging a goal/assist every 140 minutes. That's not a poor record by any means.
As the saying goes "lies, damned lies and statistics".

Spurs (League cup), Sheffield Utd, Southampton, Krasnodar, Rennes, Burnley, Morecambe, Newcastle.

Given the opponents he manages to score against and then knock off the goals he costs Chelsea, it is poor. By any means.

Nothing against the guy, doesn't do anything twattish and doesn't look like he can't be arsed (like certain strikers I could mention) but if you didn't know what he'd done prior to Chelsea and saw him play, you'd swear it was a scam.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Torres used to hide on the wing. At least werner keeps making the runs. The fecker would score a shit load if he just sorts his finishing out.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

Spurs (League cup), Sheffield Utd, Southampton, Krasnodar, Rennes, Burnley, Morecambe, Newcastle.

Given the opponents he manages to score against and then knock off the goals he costs Chelsea, it is poor. By any means.

Nothing against the guy, doesn't do anything twattish and doesn't look like he can't be arsed (like certain strikers I could mention) but if you didn't know what he'd done prior to Chelsea and saw him play, you'd swear it was a scam.
He's cost us goals, sure, but by and large his feckups have come in matches we had already won or went on to win. Off the top of my head, Leeds, Luton, Liverpool, Newcastle, and Everton stand out as matches where he spurned huge chances - all matches we won anyway. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and I'll not pretend I wasn't shouting and screaming at the telly, but I don't think his failings in front of goal have tangibly cost us to a huge degree and frankly as a club we've been lucky in that respect.

Also by that same logic, it's only fair to consider is contributions beyond goal scoring as well. Since Tuchel's appointment, by my count he's been critically decisive in at least 3 matches:

- Assist for Ziyech to make it 2-0 on aggregate vs. Atletico Madrid when we were struggling
- Won a penalty to give us the 1-0 win over Spurs
- Won a penalty to make it 2-1 over Sheffield United

Certainly overall he's been a disappointment especially given his start, but I'm still happy to be patient. For me the key difference between him and Morata is when Morata fell off a cliff in terms of goalscoring, his head went down and he failed to contribute at all to the team. Despite Werner's failings in front of goal, his workrate is still top notch and he is still getting in positions to succeed and contribute with assists & won penalties. I do think there are serious questions over whether he can succeed in situations with less open space, but I'd hesitate to label him a flop and/or phony just yet. It's very hard to fluke your way into 34 goals and 13 assists in a season.

RashyForPM

Fantastic post mate. I have nothing against Werner too and think he conducts himself very well in interviews, but context is needed when people bring up his statistics. He’s genuinely the only striker I’ve ever seen play in the PL who makes me think whenever he has an open goal: “he’s going to miss this”. I really can’t remember a worse finisher for a long while. Even duds like Soldado would put away the sort of chances Werner misses once every two games.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
He's missing chances no footballer should, professional or not. Needs to see a sports psychologist.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Morata never played in the Bundesliga
He's played plenty in the Serie A, which is at the level, or even lower, than the Bundesliga. That was also for a side equivalent to Bayern in the BL, Werner was scoring for a team that wasn't dominant.

Morata has never shown near the goalscoring ability of Werner, it's hilarious people are coming his record to Werner.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's cost us goals, sure, but by and large his feckups have come in matches we had already won or went on to win. Off the top of my head, Leeds, Luton, Liverpool, Newcastle, and Everton stand out as matches where he spurned huge chances - all matches we won anyway. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 and I'll not pretend I wasn't shouting and screaming at the telly, but I don't think his failings in front of goal have tangibly cost us to a huge degree and frankly as a club we've been lucky in that respect.

Also by that same logic, it's only fair to consider is contributions beyond goal scoring as well. Since Tuchel's appointment, by my count he's been critically decisive in at least 3 matches:

- Assist for Ziyech to make it 2-0 on aggregate vs. Atletico Madrid when we were struggling
- Won a penalty to give us the 1-0 win over Spurs
- Won a penalty to make it 2-1 over Sheffield United

Certainly overall he's been a disappointment especially given his start, but I'm still happy to be patient. For me the key difference between him and Morata is when Morata fell off a cliff in terms of goalscoring, his head went down and he failed to contribute at all to the team. Despite Werner's failings in front of goal, his workrate is still top notch and he is still getting in positions to succeed and contribute with assists & won penalties. I do think there are serious questions over whether he can succeed in situations with less open space, but I'd hesitate to label him a flop and/or phony just yet. It's very hard to fluke your way into 34 goals and 13 assists in a season.
In my opinion you are reaching a bit to be honest. Having a striker so low in confidence, who is missing so many chances and scoring so few goals, is overall harmful to a team’s attacking style. It’s comparable to having a shaky goalkeeper, as we saw with de Gea when he joined (and perhaps currently too) - the defence doesn’t have confidence, and you can see the psychological impact on the team as a result.

It’s not just the fact of him messing up in games that Chelsea are winning. As a team overall, they will undoubtedly play worse in attack because they have a woefully out of form striker who does not look confident in front of goal. I’ve played football at a much lower level (obviously), and the same rings true there - in fact I’ve probably been the crap striker that people hesitate to create chances for :lol:

Of course you watch Chelsea more than I do and I don’t confess to knowing everything - but I don’t see much chance of downplaying or avoiding the fact he has had a dreadful season in terms of output.

For what it’s worth, too, I think he will gain confidence and score a lot more next year. He has a knack of finding excellent scoring positions so the goals will come.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Reminds me of Welbeck. Got the right attitude and attributes: making runs, working hard, good link up, can play from the wing, but very poor finishing (now).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

Torres had moments, or brief periods, of decent confidence, but we also kept him around long enough to allow for those brief moments. I think he scored 1 goal from January to the end of the season the year we signed him. Werner's confidence issues appears to be specifically in front of goal, he seems pretty decent in every other phase of the game [for Chelsea]. As @Pow Torres' was generally low on confidence. I remember being in the stands at West Brom away. I saw him taking shots at goal during the warm-ups, the next time I saw him again was literally when he was he subbed off in the 60th min. We lost that game, obviously. He was fantastic in that Europa League run though.

Werner though, I don't think he can have any arguments if Chelsea make the brutal decision to ship him back to Germany, if he doesn't end the season with a bit of a scoring run.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Torres had moments, or brief periods, of decent confidence, but we also kept him around long enough to allow for those brief moments. I think he scored 1 goal from January to the end of the season the year we signed him. Werner's confidence issues appears to be specifically in front of goal, he seems pretty decent in every other phase of the game [for Chelsea]. As @Pow Torres' was generally low on confidence. I remember being in the stands at West Brom away. I saw him taking shots at goal during the warm-ups, the next time I saw him again was literally when he was he subbed off in the 60th min. We lost that game, obviously. He was fantastic in that Europa League run though.

Werner though, I don't think he can have any arguments if Chelsea make the brutal decision to ship him back to Germany, if he doesn't end the season with a bit of a scoring run.
I think you'll find he will have a compelling argument in the shape of a contract.

Seriously though, has it become complete impossible to calm down and give a player more than a season to find his footing after a move to another country and league? He will always miss a sitter here and there, he will always have a bit of an erratic touch, but he will also have better runs than the one he has been on now, he can be a very valuable team player, and he hasn't even been that bad overall.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think you'll find he will have a compelling argument in the shape of a contract.

Seriously though, has it become complete impossible to calm down and give a player more than a season to find his footing after a move to another contry and league? He will always miss a sitter here and there, he will always have a bit of an erratic touch, but he will also have better runs than the one he has been on now, he can be a very valuable team player, and he hasn't even been that bad overall.
I didn't mean literally ship him back, but like others before him, eventually the coach/club will lose confidence in him and the club will likely try to sell him, which he'll accept because the alternative is the bench. I said he's been a reasonably effective player for Chelsea, and I want to see how he fares next season, but he has lacked confidence in front of goal for a prolonged period now and that is concerning, despite the fact that he's managed to be effective and contribute strongly in other ways. If his scoring form carries into next season, then he can have no complaints really, was my point.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's just rushing things, that's a simple decision that he has panicked over thinking he hasn't got enough time.

He's gone to shoot with his left foot at a strange angle, when he should be letting the ball roll across his body and side footing it with his right.

Maybe he trusts his left and got it badly wrong, but I think in that situation again if he's confident he would probably take a quick touch then find the corner, or just side foot it with his right.

Werner is the type of player that'll always get chances due to his speed and work rate, but just needs to almost slow down a little and take time to think.

@WeePat He's never been a consistent finisher, he's capable of finishing well but he's missed chances like this loads of times.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Genuinely think the Bundesliga is a bit rubbish. We're not an amazing side as we all know and yet we beat Leipzig 5-0. Okay we lost the away group game but my god we played awfully that night until the last 10 mins. The fact we scored 2 goals in the last 10 mins and very nearly got a third right at the end just shows they weren't all that. Liverpool in horrendous form and with defensive injuries galore saw them off comfortably too.

Havertz n Werner have been awful. Also think this is why you have to take Sancho's stats with a pinch of salt. I don't doubt he's talented but no way is he putting those kind of numbers up in the PL. His performances for England have laregley been very much what I'd expect from him in the PL. Decent but nothing out of this world.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Damn, I hope for a change United isn't interested in Bundesliga players this summer. About time the transfer saga fueled hate of the more tribal resident fans in here is directed at another scape goat.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Surprisingly poor season from a player who looked almost nailed-on to be a success. He might still be of course, but his confidence is shot.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's just rushing things, that's a simple decision that he has panicked over thinking he hasn't got enough time.

He's gone to shoot with his left foot at a strange angle, when he should be letting the ball roll across his body and side footing it with his right.

Maybe he trusts his left and got it badly wrong, but I think in that situation again if he's confident he would probably take a quick touch then find the corner, or just side foot it with his right.

Werner is the type of player that'll always get chances due to his speed and work rate, but just needs to almost slow down a little and take time to think.

@WeePat He's never been a consistent finisher, he's capable of finishing well but he's missed chances like this loads of times.
I knew he scored a lot in bursts, meaning he regularly went through mini-droughts but I thought he'd scored too many goals prior to signing for Chelsea to not be, at the very least, a great scorer. I had doubts about other parts of his game. He's actually been better than expected on the parts I had doubts about, and been pretty underwhelming on the one thing I was sure about.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I knew he scored a lot in bursts, meaning he regularly went through mini-droughts but I thought he'd scored too many goals prior to signing for Chelsea to not be, at the very least, a great scorer. I had doubts about other parts of his game. He's actually been better than expected on the parts I had doubts about, and been pretty underwhelming on the one thing I was sure about.
I actually think he's been contributing pretty well lately although ofcourse there will be a lot of fair banter about his goal record.

Since Tuchel has arrived he's made a lot of clutch contributions (not least the assist to Ziyech against Atletico) and I've never felt we're effectively down to ten with him.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

He's played plenty in the Serie A, which is at the level, or even lower, than the Bundesliga. That was also for a side equivalent to Bayern in the BL, Werner was scoring for a team that wasn't dominant.
The level of the league and how easy it is to score there are two different things.
Serie A this year is indeed very attacking friendly but in the past years? Not so much.
Bundesliga has been this way for 3 or 4 years already.

Cloud7

I know Werner has been awful, but come on. Morata is one of the worst strikers around at the top level. He's tried and tested terrible.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The level of the league and how easy it is to score there are two different things.
Serie A this year is indeed very attacking friendly but in the past years? Not so much.
Bundesliga has been this way for 3 or 4 years already.
I wouldn't agree to that. Bundesliga has had some great goalscorers over the last few years but they've transitioned it to other leagues or European competitions just as well. Aubmayeng looked the same lethal goalscroer at Arsenal as he did at Dortmund, eventhough playing out of position a lot of times, while Lewandowski has dominated the Champions League as much as the Bundesliga in terms of goalscoring.

Werner himself has had some up and down seasons in terms of goalscoring. Besides Lewandowski and Aubamayeng, there haven't been any consistent great goalscorers in the league. Haaland has now joined the picture himself but he also is dominating the Champions League as well.

It's not as if the Serie A haven't had great goalscorers as well. Ciro Immobile, after struggling in Germany and Spain, has had a great record at Lazio, Dries Mertens and Icardi have all been consistent goalscorers in the league. No we're seeing Lukaku and Ronaldo rip up the league in goalscoring.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
In my opinion you are reaching a bit to be honest. Having a striker so low in confidence, who is missing so many chances and scoring so few goals, is overall harmful to a team’s attacking style. It’s comparable to having a shaky goalkeeper, as we saw with de Gea when he joined (and perhaps currently too) - the defence doesn’t have confidence, and you can see the psychological impact on the team as a result.

It’s not just the fact of him messing up in games that Chelsea are winning. As a team overall, they will undoubtedly play worse in attack because they have a woefully out of form striker who does not look confident in front of goal. I’ve played football at a much lower level (obviously), and the same rings true there - in fact I’ve probably been the crap striker that people hesitate to create chances for :lol:

Of course you watch Chelsea more than I do and I don’t confess to knowing everything - but I don’t see much chance of downplaying or avoiding the fact he has had a dreadful season in terms of output.

For what it’s worth, too, I think he will gain confidence and score a lot more next year. He has a knack of finding excellent scoring positions so the goals will come.
Oh I think that's completely fair and I very likely am grasping at straws. Certainly whilst I might have watched him more, undoubtedly I am more biased so your point about the impact on the team is well taken! I would say though that having watched many a striker flop at Chelsea, Werner's workrate does set him apart - I don't think it's crazy to think he still is contributing more than flops of yore.

Pagh Wraith

Damn, I hope for a change United isn't interested in Bundesliga players this summer. About time the transfer saga fueled hate of the more tribal resident fans in here is directed at another scape goat.
Don't hold your breath. I've put some of more persistent trolls in that regard on ignore now. Makes for better discussions.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Never saw him much for Leipzig but he’s not been good at Chelsea and he was really poor in the World Cup. Is he all that?

TheReligion

Abusive
Never saw him much for Leipzig but he’s not been good at Chelsea and he was really poor in the World Cup. Is he all that?
I think it's getting to that point now where you start to wonder.

He's certainly got some work to do mentality if he wants to play at the very top level.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
So, whos confidence is more shot

Werners or our Martials

Classical Mechanic

This statistic would imply he is good because only good players end up on these big missed chances list in the first placd
It implies that he's fast and has good movement but has terrible finishing.

You can see how he measures up against the rest of Europe's top 5 leagues in the link below.

https://fbref.com/en/players/49fe9070/scout/365_euro/Timo-Werner-Scouting-Report

Against other forwards he's in the 80% percentile for expected goals so is very good at getting in good positions. For goals - xG he's in the 6th percentile i.e. he's been one of the very worst finishers in Europe's top 5 leagues this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's both excellent and awful at the same time.