Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

PoTMS

I don't see what they have to lose by getting rid tonight. Get Rafa in as interim [or permanent if they fancy him] and start building again. Or don't, keep the rest of us entertained.
Having FSW up front might not so be bad compared to Werner.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Had a bet on which required him to take one shot on target. Just one.

Watched him with a keen eye and he was more interested getting chalk on his boots then getting in on goal.

Doesn't look a striker which is mad considering his record before Chelsea.
I thought tonight was one of his better games. He was showing for it and making decent runs but it not quite getting to him. He snatching at stuff but something easy will fall for him soon. Chelsea are playing well enough again and they are a much better side than 90% of the league so he’s going to get chances. he’s going to bury a few soon and then we will see what he’s like with a bit of confidence. I think it’s very early days to be writing him off.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The Bundesliga is so poor in comparison to the PL.
I don't know how poor it is in comparison, but it's definitely a league tailor made to make forwards/strikers look better than they truly are with their insanely high-line and suspect defenses.

PoTMS

I think most football fans except the Bundesliga fans know the Premier League is superior to the Bundesliga. It's not really a surprise given the difference in budgets our teams have.

But Leipzig finished ahead of United... :o

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I thought tonight was one of his better games. He was showing for it and making decent runs but it not quite getting to him. He snatching at stuff but something easy will fall for him soon. Chelsea are playing well enough again and they are a much better side than 90% of the league so he’s going to get chances. he’s going to bury a few soon and then we will see what he’s like with a bit of confidence. I think it’s very early days to be writing him off.
Chelsea fans and Werner lovers have been saying this for weeks with no sign of it happening.
I think the times come to question his ability to play the role asked of him at Chelsea.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's now won 7 of the 14 penalties we've been awarded this year.

Looked better today than he has in a while; worked very hard to find pockets of space and looked a bit better on the ball than usual.

Champ

He's now won 7 of the 14 penalties we've been awarded this year.

Looked better today than he has in a while; worked very hard to find pockets of space and looked a bit better on the ball than usual.
Was never a penalty though.
But he did look more natural in his play, however he is still way too timid.

ShareEndorphins

Supports
Chelsea
Was never a penalty though.
But he did look more natural in his play, however he is still way too timid.
Why wasn't that a penalty? He tipped the ball to the left and wanted to run around on the right side of the keeper. The keeper didnt catch the ball and blocked Timo.

Champ

Why wasn't that a penalty? He tipped the ball to the left and wanted to run around on the right side of the keeper. The keeper didnt catch the ball and blocked Timo.
He ran into the keeper rather than the other way round.
He kicked the ball to the left, ran to the right, his angle of running was away from where he kicked the ball.
He brought it.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He ran into the keeper rather than the other way round.
He kicked the ball to the left, ran to the right, his angle of running was away from where he kicked the ball.
He brought it.
Totally disagree - it's not like Ramsdale was standing still, he dove at Werner and initiated the contact. I also think Werner is rapid enough to go around the keeper and get on the end of his touch; would have been at least a 50/50 with Basham I reckon.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's not Werner's responsibility to avoid colliding with a keeper diving in his path.

Can7onA

I was thinking about this the other day, when Cavani was being released, wasn't Chelsea in for him and deemed it too big a risk, what with him and Thiago Silva getting on a bit.

:lol:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I was thinking about this the other day, when Cavani was being released, wasn't Chelsea in for him and deemed it too big a risk, what with him and Thiago Silva getting on a bit.

I don't know if that's true, I certainly don't recall any strong links with Cavani last summer [though he has been perennially linked with Chelsea over the years], but even if it was, one is 24 years old, the other has one foot into retirement.

cyberman

I don't know if that's true, I certainly don't recall any strong links with Cavani last summer [though he has been perennially linked with Chelsea over the years], but even if it was, one is 24 years old, the other has one foot into retirement.
Tbf Cavani could be at Utd longer than Werner will be at Chelsea.
Also one was free and the other cost 50m!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

We were linked to him last January if I recall correctly when Lampard wanted a striker, but PSG wouldn't sell as they had an eye on the CL. I don't think there were any concrete links this past summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Tbf Cavani could be at Utd longer than Werner will be at Chelsea.
Also one was free and the other cost 50m!
Unlikely, but maybe. The poster though, was mocking the wisdom behind allegedly turning down Cavani whilst signing Werner.

cyberman

Unlikely, but maybe. The poster though, was mocking the wisdom behind allegedly turning down Cavani whilst signing Werner.
And hes right in a sense. Cavani plays as a striker, which you are stupidly weak on, and bought a player who is at his best inside left where Pulisic and CHO(?) play.
Its weird that you took Thiago and didnt try for Cavani, he was off to Benfica before we stepped in ffs

Champ

Totally disagree - it's not like Ramsdale was standing still, he dove at Werner and initiated the contact. I also think Werner is rapid enough to go around the keeper and get on the end of his touch; would have been at least a 50/50 with Basham I reckon.
Werner could have easily missed Ramsdale, instead he ran into him.
Yeah, the keeper dived but why is Werner running at such a strange angle, he didn't try to run around the keeper, he initiated the contact.
For a change I am inclined to agree with what Souness said after the game.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Werner could have easily missed Ramsdale, instead he ran into him.
Yeah, the keeper dived but why is Werner running at such a strange angle, he didn't try to run around the keeper, he initiated the contact.
For a change I am inclined to agree with what Souness said after the game.
It's not the obligation of an attacker to get out of the way of a keeper who's diving at him. Even Keane disagreed with Souness.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And hes right in a sense. Cavani plays as a striker, which you are stupidly weak on, and bought a player who is at his best inside left where Pulisic and CHO(?) play.
Its weird that you took Thiago and didnt try for Cavani, he was off to Benfica before we stepped in ffs
I don't think so. I mean it's great that he's doing well for you lot. and I always kind of liked him, so I'm pleased to see him in this league, but I suppose after being burned by Pato, Falcao and Higuain the club weren't really that likely to go for another old big name striker way past his prime. I'm positive Werner turns out to be a good signing in the end.

Last edited:

Champ

It's not the obligation of an attacker to get out of the way of a keeper who's diving at him. Even Keane disagreed with Souness.
Keane always disagrees with Souness!!

If anything it was clever play from Werner, but for me wasn't a pen but I can see how others may think differently.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

If anything it was clever play from Werner, but for me wasn't a pen but I can see how others may think differently.
Fair enough! Wasn't trying to have a go or anything. For me it was pretty clear but obviously I'm biased!

macheda14

Nowadays its a pen every day of the week and twice on sunday. It doesn't seem to matter that much if the player initiated contact, if the defender of keeper gives them the chance the attacker will take it and a pen will be called. Especially one as obvious as this. The one's that are now a bit more 50/50 are if the player moves his leg out to the side to then initiate contact, but they're still being called more often than not now.

Champ

Fair enough! Wasn't trying to have a go or anything. For me it was pretty clear but obviously I'm biased!
I'd say your probably one of the more impartial oppo posters on here, so respect your opinion on the incident.
Anyhow, I'd say you'd be more than happy if Werner plays like that consistently and scores the odd goal.

Champ

Nowadays its a pen every day of the week and twice on sunday. It doesn't seem to matter that much if the player initiated contact, if the defender of keeper gives them the chance the attacker will take it and a pen will be called. Especially one as obvious as this. The one's that are now a bit more 50/50 are if the player moves his leg out to the side to then initiate contact, but they're still being called more often than not now.
I can see that, but to me Werner changes his direction of run to initiate contact with the keeper.
But I can see why it was given.
Anyhow, I feel I've derailed this thread slightly, :D

Theo Cherry

I wish others players would get the same sympathy, understanding and room from improvement that this guy is getting.

Notice very few pundits are writing him off so early?

Can7onA

No, you've just made that up.
Don't get salty with me, it's not my fault your Germans are shit.

Literally third link when you Google Chelsea/Cavani ;

“Their stories were so beautiful. But yes, we are coming to the end.
"We had to make a logical decision, economically speaking and with regard to the generation that is coming through.
“Maybe we are wrong, I do not know, there is never a perfect moment. Now the Champions League is still in sight and the idea is to continue competing with them until the end of August. How it can be done is not yet clear [legally].”
Lampard is said to be put off by Cavani's £360,000-a-week wage demand, especially for a forward who is 33 years old.

Edinson Cavani will leave PSG at the end of the season (Image: GETTY)
The Blues are on the verge of completing the signing of RB Leipzig attacker Timo Werner for £53m.
The 24-year-old has agreed personal terms on a five-year deal worth £200,000-a-week.
Adding Cavani to their ranks will only use up financial resources which could be better off spent elsewhere.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I'd say your probably one of the more impartial oppo posters on here, so respect your opinion on the incident.
Anyhow, I'd say you'd be more than happy if Werner plays like that consistently and scores the odd goal.
Same to you mate! Don't feel like you have an agenda or anything so I can definitely appreciate your point of view.

Re: Werner's performance, for sure - I thought he was much improved in virtually all facets. Saw an interesting analysis somewhere that showed that Tuchel has helped Werner a bit by moving his teammates away from him - this helps open up space by ensuring opponents are further away as well so he can build up a head of steam. His contribution to Mount's opener was something we haven't seen in a while, so if Tuchel can coax those types of performances out of him consistently I'm not overly worried going forward.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Don't get salty with me, it's not my fault your Germans are shit.

“Their stories were so beautiful. But yes, we are coming to the end.
"We had to make a logical decision, economically speaking and with regard to the generation that is coming through.
“Maybe we are wrong, I do not know, there is never a perfect moment. Now the Champions League is still in sight and the idea is to continue competing with them until the end of August. How it can be done is not yet clear [legally].”
Lampard is said to be put off by Cavani's £360,000-a-week wage demand, especially for a forward who is 33 years old.

Edinson Cavani will leave PSG at the end of the season (Image: GETTY)
The Blues are on the verge of completing the signing of RB Leipzig attacker Timo Werner for £53m.
The 24-year-old has agreed personal terms on a five-year deal worth £200,000-a-week.
Adding Cavani to their ranks will only use up financial resources which could be better off spent elsewhere.
Mate I'm not trying to WUM but this is completely meaningless - everyone's google results are different at this point. The third link for me, for instance, is an article about Chelsea possibly bidding for Cavani in 2016.

Unless you post a source that can be considered, this article is pure faff.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Because a tabloid reported it, definately it happened? Is that what you're saying?

Even if that story was true (it could be), It doesn't mention that his age was an issue for Chelsea at all, just the wages. You've just made up or miss-remembered that the bit about his age being a problem.

It's pretty obvious Chelsea wouldn't have minded signing a 33 year old, given we signed a 35 year old a few months later!

Also, don't read the Daily Express, it's trash.

Champ

Same to you mate! Don't feel like you have an agenda or anything so I can definitely appreciate your point of view.

Re: Werner's performance, for sure - I thought he was much improved in virtually all facets. Saw an interesting analysis somewhere that showed that Tuchel has helped Werner a bit by moving his teammates away from him - this helps open up space by ensuring opponents are further away as well so he can build up a head of steam. His contribution to Mount's opener was something we haven't seen in a while, so if Tuchel can coax those types of performances out of him consistently I'm not overly worried going forward.
I must admit, I've not been impressed with Werner since he went to Chelsea, but what I saw at the weekend was a player determined to make things right, and that will go along way to improving his form.
Looked sharp and maybe a bit fitter, although it looked like he was carrying a knock at the end.
Interesting about the tactical tweaks, hadn't seen that comment.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I must admit, I've not been impressed with Werner since he went to Chelsea, but what I saw at the weekend was a player determined to make things right, and that will go along way to improving his form.
Looked sharp and maybe a bit fitter, although it looked like he was carrying a knock at the end.
Interesting about the tactical tweaks, hadn't seen that comment.
Reportedly a dead leg from the collision with Ramsdale - he might have to sit out the FA Cup tie but nothing major.

Every interview he's done has pointed towards him having the right attitude - he even said he doesn't want to take a penalty again until he's scoring goals again from open play. Seems a true professional, all things considered.

Can7onA

Mate I'm not trying to WUM but this is completely meaningless - everyone's google results are different at this point. The third link for me, for instance, is an article about Chelsea possibly bidding for Cavani in 2016.

Unless you post a source that can be considered, this article is pure faff.
I was told I made it up, if I was the journalist that wrote the story then maybe.

Because a tabloid reported it, definately it happened? Is that what you're saying?

Even if that story was true (it could be), It doesn't mention that his age was an issue for Chelsea at all, just the wages. You've just made up or miss-remembered that the bit about his age being a problem.

It's pretty obvious Chelsea wouldn't have minded signing a 33 year old, given we signed a 35 year old a few months later!

Also, don't read the Daily Express, it's trash.
" Lampard is said to be put off by Cavani's £360,000-a-week wage demand, especially for a forward who is 33 years old. "

I don't read it but you said it was made up, when there is plenty of articles linking him to Chelsea, some saying he's too old, too expensive.................

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I was told I made it up, if I was the journalist that wrote the story then maybe.

" Lampard is said to be put off by Cavani's £360,000-a-week wage demand, especially for a forward who is 33 years old. "

I don't read it but you said it was made up, when there is plenty of articles linking him to Chelsea, some saying he's too old, too expensive.................
Ok, you didn't make it up. The tabloids did. Apologies.

It's obviously bollocks to say his age was THE issue, given we signed someone older. You didn't mention wages, only age in the post I replied to.

I'm sure his wages were a concern at £360,000 per week. Is he on that at Man United? Surely not.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Ok, you didn't make it up. The tabloids did. Apologies.

It's obviously bollocks to say his age was THE issue, given we signed someone older. You didn't mention wages, only age in the post I replied to.

I'm sure his wages were a concern at £360,000 per week. Is he on that at Man United? Surely not.
Most places have him at around £200k. I doubt we'll ever pay anyone north of £300k ever again after Sanchez and de Gea.