Toaster Toes Timo Werner | Tottenham Player

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's both excellent and awful at the same time.
Unfortunately he's doesn't really have nerves of steal to say the least. He probably should get himself a mental coach or something like that to get back control. He's like a headless chicken in front of goal nowadays and once he missed a chance, it influences his whole performance. That's not the mindset of a top striker, even if he does many things very, very well.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
His football abilities are great (and good enough for any top club) with the exception of his finishing. I am not entirely sure this issue can be fixed in his case.
All in all, he will leave Chelsea soon enough to play at some kind of an ambitious midtable club is the most likely outcome at the moment.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's clearly lacking confidence in his finishing. I've said before he looked to be mentally weak before in the Bundesliga as well, where he would go on long streaks without scoring (though this season is much longer than he's ever had).

I think the most difficult part of the EPL for him has been the pressure on him, along with the scrutiny, which he wouldn't get playing for Leipzeg. He's making as many chances for himself as he did in the BL, the only difference is that he's completely missing them.

Previously, the one moment where you can say he did have heavy expectations on him was the 2018 WC, which he went into in fine form for Germany, but he again lost his finishing touch there.

A season break would be the best for him. This season has been continous in it's games with no break at all, maybe a summer break can help him get his head back and find his scoring touch. Although if Chelsea sign a new striker then would there be any opportunity for him to find it again?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How is he 'excellent', other than having some speed to him? Genuine question.
Works very hard, fantastic ball carrying ability and his off the ball movement is very good.

If he could finish he'd be a nightmare to play against. He makes lots of chances for this reason, but obviously you can't go missing some of the chances he does.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Actually think he will do well next season, absolutely no way Chelsea need Haaland, no way!

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
But he'll come good next season won't he? I mean that's what we've been told all along, he's too good not to come good...

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He's clearly lacking confidence in his finishing. I've said before he looked to be mentally weak before in the Bundesliga as well, where he would go on long streaks without scoring (though this season is much longer than he's ever had).

I think the most difficult part of the EPL for him has been the pressure on him, along with the scrutiny, which he wouldn't get playing for Leipzeg. He's making as many chances for himself as he did in the BL, the only difference is that he's completely missing them.

Previously, the one moment where you can say he did have heavy expectations on him was the 2018 WC, which he went into in fine form for Germany, but he again lost his finishing touch there.

A season break would be the best for him. This season has been continous in it's games with no break at all, maybe a summer break can help him get his head back and find his scoring touch. Although if Chelsea sign a new striker then would there be any opportunity for him to find it again?
As you said, there were already signs of this in the Bundesliga although few of us would've expected it to be so severe. The strongest criticism he got at the time of his move was regarding his overall play and that is fairly good for Chelsea if you ask me.

Anyway, even if he gets control over his nerves back and develops mote self esteem againand, it's questionable how he'll perform in tight important games. I'm a bit worried he'll always be kind of a choker in key moments and if there's one position in which you want somebody as composed as possible in decisive situations, it's the main striker of a top team.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
But he'll come good next season won't he? I mean that's what we've been told all along, he's too good not to come good...
It will really depend on the role you expect him to play. Leading the line, being the top scorer of the team? I don't think this will work in crucial moments, he just is not strong enough mentally to deal with that pressure. Playing as a supporting striker, creating space and chances for his teammates while occasionally scoring? That role could fit him very well.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Costa's Chelsea spell ended in tears but overall he was a big hit.

But yeah, Chelsea have a pretty awful record with striker signings since Robert Fleck.
Yes... one of the best season's a striker has played in a PL winning side.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Seems another Bundesliga player can't make the step up in the Premier League.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It will really depend on the role you expect him to play. Leading the line, being the top scorer of the team? I don't think this will work in crucial moments, he just is not strong enough mentally to deal with that pressure. Playing as a supporting striker, creating space and chances for his teammates while occasionally scoring? That role could fit him very well.
Do you think he could play a similar role to Rooney did at times, or a Griezmann? Behind another striker.

How would you then get Havertz in the team? Your team is genuinely so stacked.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04
Do you think he could play a similar role to Rooney did at times, or a Griezmann? Behind another striker.

How would you then get Havertz in the team? Your team is genuinely so stacked.
I think it would suit him much better. He was, is and never will be a 9.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
If he gets his nerves under control and gets back some badly needed confidence I think he'll come good. Not awesome or Ballon d'or material but quite a substantial player. This is his worst spell ever and his stats aren't even THAT bad and he even if his scoring is super patchy does impact the opposing defence quite a bit in theory (due his threat via speed which has to be adressed) and in reality with his runs where he creates a lot of space also for his teammates which helps for example Pulisic and Mount to do their dribblings and quick turns and his superb work rate that helps the defence.

If he gets his act together, which basically means score the easy goals which is more a mental challenge than anything, he'll be a very good striker.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Still think he'd actually fit our system really well. If he continues to flounder at Chelsea, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Also wonder if he suffers from a spiral of too much effort at the wrong times. By that I mean, he runs like a madman to close down lost causes, and then runs like a madman to create space, then when running like a madman finally leads to a chance, he's just totally drained and fluffs - which then encourages him to make up for it by running some more. Strikes me as sometimes less is more for strikers.

He'sRaldo

In terms of mentality he reminds me of younger Mkhitaryan, who Tuchel made to shine.

Tuchel will most likely get the best out of him next season.

tomaldinho1

Still think he'd actually fit our system really well. If he continues to flounder at Chelsea, I certainly wouldn't say no.

Also wonder if he suffers from a spiral of too much effort at the wrong times. By that I mean, he runs like a madman to close down lost causes, and then runs like a madman to create space, then when running like a madman finally leads to a chance, he's just totally drained and fluffs - which then encourages him to make up for it by running some more. Strikes me as sometimes less is more for strikers.
I think you can just see he's not a natural 9 - there were two carbon copy scenarios in the first half where Pulisic/Kante had the ball on the edge of the Madrid box and he was so indecisive with his run, it might just be a lack of confidence, that they both played a pass that looked massively overhit but it's because he made a run then stopped, then went again, then stopped. He gets a lot of the ball and often in decent positions, maybe he'll come good but I think any half decent finisher in that system would easily get 20+ goals a season.

BalanceUnAutreJoint

His movement is still consistently good.

As long as he can keep it up the goals will come

Highly doubt he'll ever be a clinal striker but he should be able to hit 15 league goals every season with such pace and movement

DDROGBA

Pulisic scored because he didn't want to risk Timo scuffing the shot wide or straight into the keeper.

so, werner assist then?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know if his striking will ever be clinical. I hope we get as much as we can and move on. I just see years of him having that dumb founded look after missing a wide open net.

Boavista

I think you can just see he's not a natural 9 - there were two carbon copy scenarios in the first half where Pulisic/Kante had the ball on the edge of the Madrid box and he was so indecisive with his run, it might just be a lack of confidence, that they both played a pass that looked massively overhit but it's because he made a run then stopped, then went again, then stopped. He gets a lot of the ball and often in decent positions, maybe he'll come good but I think any half decent finisher in that system would easily get 20+ goals a season.
Yeah in those two situations he didn't pick good runs, but to be fair Pulisic and Kante waited too long to make the pass, so Werner had to abort his runs to stay on side. I think that indecisiveness is partially still a lack of chemistry with his team mates. You see it quite often in other games too, when he makes good runs but no one picks him out.

kidbob

The fecker better have the game of his life in the Champions League final. Ignite you Chelsea career lad!!!

And then quickly quench it for next season you useless fecker

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
The fecker better have the game of his life in the Champions League final. Ignite you Chelsea career lad!!!

And then quickly quench it for next season you useless fecker
With all the karma he's building up I expect a double fecking hattrick!

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
That's all good and well but surely you want goals for your £50m.
Yes, yes we do! He seemed so worth it coming, he seemed so worth it in the beginning of the season. Then the wheels fell off. I can point to the exact moment when they fell off. When he decided he didn't want the pressure of taking penalty kicks after a miss, it started unraveling.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
In terms of mentality he reminds me of younger Mkhitaryan, who Tuchel made to shine.

Tuchel will most likely get the best out of him next season.
I think you'll see a very good Havertz next season, too.

Although I still think Aguero or Lukaku end up with us

simplyared

Timo Werner is a poor version of Mason Mount!
He's at the level he's at. Totally overhyped and just can't see any potential in the player whatsoever. Certainly doesn't have the qualities necessary to be a striker. No way!

He'sRaldo

Such a weird season he's had. If he finds his shooting boots next season he'll be a top forward.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Another assist, really surprised he played the full match, even though only 70 mins v Madrid. Was getting kicked by Laporte all game. Real team player.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
100% concinvced he will be one of the best attacking players next season.

Always hard working and crucial to Chelsea's attacking game. Top player.

Hulksmash

I think he's the most dangerous player in the Prem. He's aweful finishers but his runs are impossible to defend. If he improves his finishing , he can become scary

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Another assist, really surprised he played the full match, even though only 70 mins v Madrid. Was getting kicked by Laporte all game. Real team player.
Im beginning to really love him tbh. The goals will come for him eventually, but until it does he'll be an assist machine and work his socks off.