Timothy Fosu-Mensah image 24

Timothy Fosu-Mensah Netherlands flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Definitely needs a loan unless Jose makes him the designated RB cover for Valencia this year.

He's got everything physique wise, just needs to sharpen his technique but most importantly his mental skills.

Dazzmondo

I hope he goes out on loan to a PL or championship team and gets regular football as a RB. I think he could do well in that role but needs regular playing time to build up that consistency.
I don't think we have enough depth in the position to do that. If Valencia were to get injured we really have no proper alternatives. Darmian could switch flanks and TFM would be next choice. He's ahead of Tuanzebe in Jose's mind I think even though Axel has performed far better at 1st team level

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't think we have enough depth in the position to do that. If Valencia were to get injured we really have no proper alternatives. Darmian could switch flanks and TFM would be next choice. He's ahead of Tuanzebe in Jose's mind I think even though Axel has performed far better at 1st team level
We shouldn't be hampering a players development to sit in the stands and be third choice RB. Young can also player there and if we're really at a push Bailly, Lindelof, Jones and Smalling have all played at RB before. If he spends another season like the last one then TFM may as well force a move.

Dazzmondo

We shouldn't be hampering a players development to sit in the stands and be third choice RB. Young can also player there and if we're really at a push Bailly, Lindelof, Jones and Smalling have all played at RB before. If he spends another season like the last one then TFM may as well force a move.
Young is injured and we don't know when he's due back. We won't be wanting our cbs to be playing at rb. TFM forcing a move is being very overdramatic. He's still only 19 and he's no Paul Pogba. He's not just going to move to another big club and suddenly get game time. He'd just go to an average team, possibly back to the Eridivisie which won't help him much. He'd likely be 2nd choice rb anyway because Jose will probably want to keep Darmian at lb. Frankly if he wants to get more game time in the position he should be playing better anyway. If I was Jose, based on what I'd seen of him when he was given the chance, I wouldn't be risking him except in small games either. He'll get game time in the EFL Cup and if we qualify early he might play a few of the last games in CL group stage. If he performs in those he might be rotated more. With the fixture pileup in December he might get chances too.

reddevil702

I remember thinking he would be our David Alaba. Could play multiple positions and was very tenacious, but it seems that since his call up to the first team there hasn't been any significant improvement. He's always going at 100 mph, which I think is the reason he's not played in midfield.

SATA

I think Jose now has him set as Valencia's backup at rightback while Darmian will be backup leftback till Shaw returns. Good for Tim as he can focus on improving on a settled position

Dobbs

I remember thinking he would be our David Alaba. Could play multiple positions and was very tenacious, but it seems that since his call up to the first team there hasn't been any significant improvement. He's always going at 100 mph, which I think is the reason he's not played in midfield.
How much improvement do you expect to see after just a few opportunities?

reddevil702

How much improvement do you expect to see after just a few opportunities?
I'm not expecting him to be as calm as say Carrick out there, but he's been part of the first team for over a year and yet his performances remain the same as day 1.

Zlatattack

Sometimes you have to think about the long term. At a club like Manchester United we can't afford for rookies to learn on the job. Tim is very raw, he needs regular games. He can't be a backup waiting for Valencia to be suspended. He'd be done a disservice.

Agree. Not sure about the move but we're dropping an axe on our own foot by holding up his development. He's clearly cruising in the reserves and under 23s.

Needs the regular game time to fix all that.

Dobbs

I'm not expecting him to be as calm as say Carrick out there, but he's been part of the first team for over a year and yet his performances remain the same as day 1.
But that years almost irrelevant if he hardly ever plays.

I just think it's massively harsh to judge a player's development when he's rarely on the pitch.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Agree. Not sure about the move but we're dropping an axe on our own foot by holding up his development. He's clearly cruising in the reserves and under 23s.
Thing is he doesn't even do that because Mourinho doesn't let him play for the u23s. The lad literally plays no football. People then wonder why he is out of position and off the pace when he finally does get a game and its quite obvious because he hasn't played a game at any level in months. No shit he is going to be lacking match sharpness. Playing 300 minutes of football in a whole season at all levels is simply a waste of time. Another season like that and there is no way he should be staying here. He's no Paul Pogba, what a shit excuse. He doesn't need to be Pogba to have some ambition of developing as a player which he will never do with 300 minutes of football. Its a complete waste of time, simple as that. He isn't going anywhere with that shit.

Actually getting to play football would serve no purpose? And the squad is really going to be weakened losing him for those 300 minutes of game time.
Valencia won't play every game, we have CL too. He attacks along the right flank, and that's something we need. He's a smart player. He gets forward to provide assists. He moves swiftly to snuff out danger on the last line as well. He's very strong, and I think too many people are quick to right him off because of his age. You just need to watch what he does and forget that he's 19 for a moment. His positioning is often quite excellent and that's what he mostly gets criticized for. I wouldn't have picked him to be good RB, but he's adapted well to the role, just like Valencia did before him. I think he will get more than 300 minutes this season. That's better than risking injury playing for some second rate team which will achieve nothing.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Actually getting to play football would serve no purpose? And the squad is really going to be weakened losing him for those 300 minutes of game time.

I'd be inclined to agree but I reckon he'll get a lot more minutes this year. We aren't signing a right back and Valencia isn't getting any younger. TFM will play this year and if he doesn't break into the team in any meaningful way will go on loan the season after id say.

Viral United

I think you are assuming based on he will get lots of playing time on loan.
What if he didn't get play time there? it will be disaster for him.
Also last season he would got lots of playing time if he didn't get injured at wrong time.

I think it's look like he will be 2nd choice Rb for us, if he is then he should not go for loan.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Still way too early to judge, but he always looks like a bull in a china shop whenever I've seen him play. Take away his pace, and I don't see a lot going on. But my viewings of him have been very limited. So I'm prepared to eat some humble pie.

MadMike

But that years almost irrelevant if he hardly ever plays.

I just think it's massively harsh to judge a player's development when he's rarely on the pitch.
Young players also improve because they mature (get older) and through training. They don't need first team appearances necessarily, although of course they do help. Otherwise no young player would develop and coaches are useless.

Anyhow, in TFM's case he seems to be a step down from what is required for a reliable squad option at United atm. It might be best for him to go on loan and come back to stake a claim next year when Carrick and Fellaini are likely to be leaving and space will be opening up.

Dobbs

Young players also improve because they mature (get older) and through training. They don't need first team appearances necessarily, although of course they do help. Otherwise no young player would develop and coaches are useless.

Anyhow, in TFM's case he seems to be a step down from what is required for a reliable squad option at United atm. It might be best for him to go on loan and come back to stake a claim next year when Carrick and Fellaini are likely to be leaving and space will be opening up.
Yeah there's truth in that but however that maturity is gained he has to be on the pitch to show it.

Zlatattack

If he gets rotated into the side frequently (plays ever third game for instance or something like that) then I can see value in him remaining. Another year like last year is the last thing he needs.

MUFC OK

He needs game time to refine his technique and composure in my opinion. When he debuted for us he had been playing all season for the U18s/23s and looked very assured. A loan move/minutes in the EFL and some league games are required but if he doesnt make 20+ appearances this season he risks wasting another years worth of development. Finding his best position would help but at the minute he doesnt seem to have the nouse to play in him preferred CDM.

Hellboy

I'm sure there are plenty of PL clubs where he'd start as RFB. He's also quite versatile, would like to see him at West Brom or Stoke City

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The more he plays the better his composure will be.
One of his key attributes at the U18 was his composure with his fantastic physicality kept in the pocket only to be used if he misread a ball.
It's clear to me that he is trying to hard to impress. The more he plays the calmer and his natural style will surface.

Dante

Average bang
Just re-watching the second half. Fosu-Mensah has the quickest feet I've ever seen. He's almost superhuman in that one regard.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Strong against Bale and Marcelo. Only his forward work has let him down. Forgivable given the opposition though.

Art

Art the artist
Good performance but Bale isn't trying at all. Either way, these are encouraging signs.

Dobbs

Maybe I'm exaggerating but he really looks like the quickest player I've ever seen in a United shirt. I'm sure he easily did Bale for pace near the beginning of the game.

That alone isn't enough obviously but the guy can really tackle as well. He relishes it.

Put these things together and you've got real potential.

podurban2

Beastly physique. With him, Bailly, Pogba, Lukaku, and perhaps even Zlatan in the team. Wow.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's lightning quick, isn't he?

Done really well in the first half. Dealt with Bale no problem, and has pleased me in 1v1 situations.

He's obviously not as good going forward as Tony V, but defensively, he's been a rock.

Rossa

Maybe I'm exaggerating but he really looks like the quickest player I've ever seen in a United shirt. I'm sure he easily did Bale for pace near the beginning of the game.

That alone isn't enough obviously but the guy can really tackle as well. He relishes it.

Put these things together and you've got real potential.
RoShaun Wiliams said thatof the trio Rasford, Williams and Mensah, Mensah was the fastest. With Williams boasting a 10,99 on the 100m at 15 year old, you may not be far off in your assumption. He positions himself well also, and he is very strong.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its a shame that Timmy wasnt on the field when Herrara went off. It would have been a natural position for him in the midfield. McTominiay just isnt the most (lateral) mobile player.

Sylar

Thought he was really good at LB. Didnt give Bale much change. Would be happy to see him as a back up for Tony V for the season.

Dazzmondo

Excellent performance today. One of Bailly, Jones, or Timbo were definitely MOTM today. Some great tackling, very calm in his defensive positioning. Good to see him build on a good performance against City with an even better performance against Madrid. Hope to see him continue improving.

AshRK

Surprised jose took him off. He was a beast today. Those who say he is all power with no brain, should see how he neutralised both Marcelo and bale. I still think he is better suited as a cdm

kundalini

Decent performance. Surprising given the standard of the opposition. Far less reckless than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.