Timothy Fosu-Mensah image 24

Timothy Fosu-Mensah Netherlands flag

2017-18 Performances

View full 2017-18 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehRed

He's settling into the full-back role now. Seems to be on the way to curbing his headless chicken routine, which is good to see. That's what hurt him when playing in midfield, he was a positional liability. Defensively he seems good in the tackle and seems to be reading the game well, he's gotten back to make some decent blocks and clearances in the pre-season games so far.

Bwuk

Still feel he would be far better as a ball winner in midfield.

He could perform a role similar to Kante (not for a minute saying he's as good as Kante).

R77

Can see why some want him at DM. He's a very good destroyer when he's playing well.

His lack of experience, along with his pace and tenacity makes him an ideal back up FB at this point though. Valencia is better at bringing the ball forward, but in terms of nullifying the opposition and being a pain in the arse, he's looking really rather good out wide. We saw it in that Spurs game a couple of seasons back, and saw it again today. If he can do it consistently, he's more than deserving of his place in the squad.

kundalini

The biggest surprise for me on tour is the trust that Mourinho appears to have in TFM. Last season Mourinho didn't trust him in the slightest, struggled to make it into the 18, when he did eventually get on the pitch we typically had a significant lead, his 4 starts against weak opponents and the last game against Palace, the only full game he played, 323 mins in all competitions, less than he managed under LVG despite not making his debut until late Feb. Now TFM is quite clearly ahead of the likes of Tuanzebe (surprising), Demi Mitchell and McTominay (expected). He has 142 mins playing time compared to 45, 36 and 85 respectively. Similar game time to Andreas Pereira (148 mins).

I had expected TFM to be sent out on loan this season, in the hope that he might be ready to take over from Valencia in a couple of seasons. Perhaps the injury to Ashley Young has confused the issue, especially with Shaw also out.

If he does stay for this season, as an absolute minimum he needs to be starting all our League Cup and FA cup games, 1000+ mins in all competitions.

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Better composure and less nervy now. I think he feels confident and more a part of the squad now -- so he doesnt need to go OTT on his 'energy' levels.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
He's the true defenition of African power. When Im next to him in church, he doesnt even seem that big of a guy or anything. Although he's quite tall, but his strength and speed on the field are beyond ridiculous.

But what makes Kante, Kante is maybe also that low centre of gravity which makes him turn so quickly, dont think TFM could ever replace that.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He surprised me. He did very well, was composed and solid. Let's see if he can continue that

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Its a shame that Timmy wasnt on the field when Herrara went off. It would have been a natural position for him in the midfield. McTominiay just isnt the most (lateral) mobile player.
Jose has had loads of chances to play him in midfield. Getting obvious he doesn't see him as one.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Jose has had loads of chances to play him in midfield. Getting obvious he doesn't see him as one.
I think he was playing right back just before Jose took over so he maybe just assumes that he's a right back

sglowrider

He has so far lacked the positioning n composure. .. but it's the chicken n egg situation. You know he had that at the reserves. He needs to slow the game down in his head then it will come back to him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has so far lacked the positioning n composure. .. but it's the chicken n egg situation. You know he had that at the reserves. He needs to slow the game down in his head then it will come back to him.
It'll come to him with consistent gametime. He really should've gone on loan somewhere last season. Probably should go this year too, unless he's 100% going to be Valencia's deputy.

Robertd0803

Said it before but I cannot see him playing as DM at all for the first team.

Dobbs

I think he catches opposition players out,even top one's, with how quickly and strongly he can steal the ball from them. Happened a few times last night, shame the ref was a bit whistle happy.

sglowrider

It'll come to him with consistent gametime. He really should've gone on loan somewhere last season. Probably should go this year too, unless he's 100% going to be Valencia's deputy.
I get the sense that he is a lot more confident this season -- both in his mannerism, training and how he projects himself -- whether thats Jose showing him more love and confidence we will see.
Those of us who have seen him in the academy will know his potential. One can only hope its not wasted away or utilised else where.

Rossa

I think he catches opposition players out,even top one's, with how quickly and strongly he can steal the ball from them. Happened a few times last night, shame the ref was a bit whistle happy.
Bale looked positively puzzled after being first outpaced and then outmuscled.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
He surprised me so far during pre-season. He's doing better than expected and can be a real option at RB next season imo. He should not play as a DM though

khoazany

With Valencia not being able to play every game (as seen last season) it would be TFM's chance to emerge as future RB starter if he managed to convince Mourinho to pick him ahead of Darmian for RB.

In Rainbows

Said it before but I cannot see him playing as DM at all for the first team.
Really? I couldn't see it, but then Pogba came over to United. Pogba takes a lot of pressure off him or any player to create because he's so good in that area.

ricky-romeo

think he has settle and sees himself as a RB, or a full back now. maybe a year ago even he was not sure what position of a player he is going to be, a CB or a midfielder or a fullback.

perhaps now he has a fixed position to focus and to continue study on, which is good for him. being valencia's understudy is not a bad thing, he could easily get 20 starts this season.

Jaybomb

He's definitely a CDM.

For me he just doesn't have the pace/crossing for a RB. Bailly and even Varela are even better there.

Nick7

He literally outran Bale in the friendly the other day. Varela? Really? Nonsense.

Devil may care

I think he might end up as a CB in the mold of Smalling with Jones attitude, big and robust with good pace and mobility.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's definitely a CDM.

For me he just doesn't have the pace/crossing for a RB. Bailly and even Varela are even better there.
He's rapid, one of the fastest players we have at the club.

Last edited:

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Natural replacement for Valencia in my opinion - hope I'm right

King.of.Red

strong and fast kid. very happy to see him against Madrid. He made Bale very uncomfortable. I hope Jose decide him to be RB so he can focus on that position and become much better.

Canagel

I don't understand why Mourinho doesn't play him as a DM and keep Valencia at RB at least once even. If pre-season is a time to test new things like he says then he should do it. A midfield three of Fosu-Mensah, Herrera and Pogba would be very good I think.

Nick7

Because he hasn't shown any semblance of positional discipline to say he's capable of playing in midfield yet?

Dobbs

Wouldn't have him as a DM. Let him play the role Fletcher had around 2008. Just take him of the leash and let him charge around the midfield. He'd be a pain the arse to come up against.

Dante

Average bang
I agree with Dobbs unintentionally homoerotic post. He'd make a decent destroyer in midfield.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He literally outran Bale in the friendly the other day. Varela? Really? Nonsense.
Tbf Varela is a better crosser and at attacking. TFM is well a bit shit when it comes to attacking. Saying he doesn't have the pace is just downright ridiculous though. He is arguably the fastest player at the club.

I think his best position could well be CB, but don't see him getting a chance there and for our purposes Axel and Roshaun are better anyway imo.

Nick7

Tbf Varela is a better crosser and at attacking. TFM is well a bit shit when it comes to attacking. Saying he doesn't have the pace is just downright ridiculous though. He is arguably the fastest player at the club.

I think his best position could well be CB, but don't see him getting a chance there and for our purposes Axel and Roshaun are better anyway imo.
Varela isn't all that good. He's fine in that he's an attacking full back but he doesn't have the quality to play at United. He can't defend, and he's average going forward in the grand scheme of things. Probably better at it that Tim, as you say but Tim has a much much greater upside.

I also see him as a centre back but he really needs to work on his positioning. I wanted him as a midfielder a couple of years ago, but he's shown enough to say that's a stretch for him. He's just not aware enough imo. Of course he could get better at it.

BarstoolProphet

strong and fast kid. very happy to see him against Madrid. He made Bale very uncomfortable. I hope Jose decide him to be RB so he can focus on that position and become much better.

Was nice to see Bale appreciate him by walking over to him and giving him a pat pn the back right before half time.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Varela isn't all that good. He's fine in that he's an attacking full back but he doesn't have the quality to play at United. He can't defend, and he's average going forward in the grand scheme of things. Probably better at it that Tim, as you say but Tim has a much much greater upside.

I also see him as a centre back but he really needs to work on his positioning. I wanted him as a midfielder a couple of years ago, but he's shown enough to say that's a stretch for him. He's just not aware enough imo. Of course he could get better at it.
Oh yea Varela won't make it. I was just saying he is a better crosser than TFM and overall better at attacking. TFM is the better defender though and so much stronger which is very useful. TFM is the better player overall.

I think it is unfair to say he has poor positioning as a CB though using his examples of playing at RB. He showed good positioning at CB against Arsenal and Watford under van Gaal. He has barely ever played as a full-back and is still a teenager so of course he his positioning will be off. But I don't understand how it can be used by people to say he can't play CM or CB because they are different positions which require different positioning which he has different experience and knowledge in.

Status
Not open for further replies.