Timothy Fosu Mensah

FromTheBench

He is a player I have been following since he joined - really hope he makes it. To those who watch the youth teams regularly - do you guys think he is one who could actually break into the first team? (Obviously perhaps not just yet, but in time).
Seems pretty likely to do so to me.

Though not sure what his best position would be. Bit of a Phil Jonesesque early years conundrum.

Tarrou

I reckon this time next year he'll be making the bench in league cup games. He's one of those players who makes football look easy.

Brightonian

He's definitely got that look. Something about him.

For me, it's fine for him to play in a variety of positions for the U21s, but when he starts to approach the first team squad he should be considered a CB. He's too good to get any benefit from being considered a multi-position player, it will just hold him back.

And as for that argument that he's good on the ball and should therefore be a DM... if you follow that logic through, you end up with a glut of normal DMs, and CBs who are shit on the ball. Should Barcelona have moved Pique to DM just because he was capable of playing there? No, of course not: they kept him as an excellent CB with unusually good ball skills, and played the even more technically gifted Busquets as the midfielder.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
If we are going to consider him a CB then he should be playing there. How many times has he played at CB for the club? You could probably count the number of times on one hand. He won't be able to step up to senior level at CB having barely played there at youth level.

It was the same with Janko always being touted as a future option at RB yet rarely ever actually playing there.

FromTheBench

I don't think being multi positional in first few years breaking into the team is a bad thing either as long as you are getting game time. Just shouldn't persist for too long.

17/18 year old who is likely to be more positionally naive is hardly gonna get game time at CB much at most PL clubs let alone top clubs. Plus even in terms of his age group at the club Tuanzebe seems to be ahead in that role.

As i said though he has a better shot and long range passing, i can see many parralells with Phil Jones in him. Next Next Duncan Edwards. :p

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He is a player I have been following since he joined - really hope he makes it. To those who watch the youth teams regularly - do you guys think he is one who could actually break into the first team? (Obviously perhaps not just yet, but in time).

Yes. He has so much composure. Looks like the game has already started to slowed down for him even at 17.

khoazany

I think he'll be a CM long-term.Even at Holland underage teams he played more as a fullback because of his ball-playing abilities.He has much more in him than just a CB who is good on the ball.

Brightonian

I don't think being multi positional in first few years breaking into the team is a bad thing either as long as you are getting game time. Just shouldn't persist for too long.
I'll grant you it is always hard to call that one. Examples like Phil Jones make you shy away from doing it with such a promising player, but then again look at Blind - he's at risk of not being first choice in any of his three positions, but because he's versatile he's a name who most people will always have down on their teamsheet somewhere. So it can work in the player's favour sometimes.

In Rainbows

I think he'll be a CM long-term.Even at Holland underage teams he played more as a fullback because of his ball-playing abilities.He has much more in him than just a CB who is good on the ball.
Being a cb that is good on the ball is valuable. Being a great cb in general is extremely valuable. Don't think it's right to sell a cb shorter than a midfielder. If he ends up as a great cb it shouldn't matter if he had "much more in him" when it comes to skills.

bucky

Quite a few managers used that logic for Javi Martinez to play him as a centre-half; Bielsa, Guardiola and del Bosque. I'd probably always play him as a midfielder, if I were in their position. They value his ability on the ball from deeper. Van Gaal is no different with Blind and he prefered Badstuber over the more experienced player at Bayern as well.

I just hope he makes it, regardless of his position and versatility should help him a lot.

Brightonian

That was a midfield performance. First time personally I've thought he really looks like a natural CM, rather than a very technically gifted CB playing in midfield.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Goss
Mensah Gribbin

:drool:
He certainly looks like he got the qualities of a box-to-box midfielder, got a nice amount of pace also.
Really exciting talent, wouldn't be surprised if he joins the tour next summer.

khoazany

Willock looks good on that video as well.Seems to have developed well since pre-season despite the injury.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some chatter that he will be with the squad for tomorrow.

khoazany

Nah, he's been here over a year (ish) and has been if not the best then certainly in the upper reaches of our best performers at that level during his time here.
Don't think he has played that well this season tbh.Still an immense talent though.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
I like him but i think its to soon.....if we want a midfielder then surely Harrop and Rothwell are before him in pecking order. But on my pecking order Sean Goss is nowhere near the first team so Fosu Mensah is probably next in line for a debut.

Sid234

Would be very surprised if he makes the 1st team ahead of Tuanzebe. Hasn't really stood out this season. Only reason why Van Gaal would pick him ahead of Tuanzebe would his ability to play as a DM as well as a CB since we'll be missing Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Herrera and Schweinstiger.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't think he has played that well this season tbh.Still an immense talent though.
Could that be becaus he's been moved around between defense and midfield?

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Did he play as right back?
Yes he did and he put in a good cross for Powells second. Leicester were poo, but he did very well. That strong running is something we're lacking.

m1y2

I always find players who can play numerous positions from the young age to have great potentials, at least its easier for them to break into the first team at some point. I think he will be b2b in the end but its great for him to get games all over the pitch to learn things. I would also finally sell weir to make room for other prospects

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
We need this boy in the gym and around the first team training ready for some break through games next season.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
He has an ego about him which reminds me of Pogba. Really hope he becomes just as successful BUT for us.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Great prospect, he has it all. Sometimes a bit raw in his passing, and his shooting needs working too but apart from that he has all the tools to play everywhere in defence, defensive midfielder and now he even plays as box-to-box. He has really quick feet and the ability to beat defenders with trickery and pace, so weird for someone who came in as a defender. And if I look at his physical advantage in the u18's, it's clear as day that he isnt challenged at that level anymore, glad he plays u21 football already. Hope he gets to play in some matches later in the season.

Brightonian

He's doing that Januzaj thing of going from raw to polished in the blink of an eye. Given how many youngsters have featured for the first team recently and not looked out of place - particularly CBJ, who's only a year older - it surely can't be too much longer before he gets his look-in. Good timing too. We have good senior DMs, so it's unlikely that any new stars will be bought in any time soon. But both Carrick and Schweinsteiger don't have that long left, so there'll be opportunities for a youngster.

SteveW

He's nowhere near being good enough with the ball to be a midfielder in the first team. I see no problem with him being a first team defender though. CB would look like the ideal position for him. Himself and Chris would probably be the quickest CB partnership in the world.